• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simplest, cheapest way to win at Brawl

Charlie G

Smash Journeyman
just cos these guys don't play with ATs doesn't mean they're total scrubs / *******.
guess i'll read some metaknight guides, looks like the only character than can actually do anything in brawl

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Well seeing as how I retired from everything smash years ago, but stilll bust up scrub tournaments for free moneys every so often, I can tell you what I do to get easy money.

What I do is not based around a particular character, although I use Rob, but it's my overall strategy. My goal is to make the match go on and on and on. What you want to do is break your opponents spirit.

Pick a character and learn a handful of brick walls. A brick wall, for those of you who don't know, is a move or strategy that is hard to break and hard to figure out. It's usually not so bad to deal with once you figure it out, but if they don't know their way out of it then they are in for a whole lot of 'not fun.' Just play it very safe and switch to your next brick wall if anyone ever figures out your current wall.

If you are used to Melee, and have experience with tournaments then you shouldn't be nervous much about matches, and can even take a loss here and there if it still accomplishes the goal of driving your opponent insane. Another thing to point out is that while it's incredibly mentally draining for your opponent to fight against this style of play, it's actually really relaxed on your end because you aren't using much thought. This will keep you fresh at the end of a tournament, where many players will begin to show signs of fatigue.

Specifically what I do is pick Rob and laser all day long. I throw the top and do everything I can to be an annoying little *******. When they get in close I just space them with whatever move is the most appropriate, and then go back to spamming. It's VERY frustrating to many a player for them to feel like you are toying with them if you continue to just do piddly damage when they are at extremely high percents. In general I don't worry about killing my opponent at a specific percentage, and I don't overextend myself by changing my strategy to try to get a KO. Whatever you do, don't get greedy, even if you are behind. There were so many games that I made huge comebacks because my opponent started taking unnecessary risks when they were ahead, don't be like that.

If you can master this strat I guarantee you will trounce inexperienced players into the ground. You will break their spirit, and everyone there will dread it when they hear they have to face you. Often times the battle will be won before it begins.

Spank That Dill

Smash Journeyman
Protip charlie: You could probably win the tournament itself with just general smash knowledge. There is maybe one decent player that goes to those tournaments, but he got absolutely molested by snap at MLG Raleigh, and the one time i played him one on one i beat him, but he still thinks he's hot ****

he doesn't believe that tiers exist either so point fingers and laugh at him

although it is brawl so i guess the only tier that matters is the metaknight tier

Charlie G

Smash Journeyman

so basically play as gay as humanly possible? Could do that, I guess I'm not there to make friends. It'd be nice to win without resorting to annoying people to death though, but i'm sure i'll resort to camping if all else fails

Josh: cool, don't they even play with items?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
so basically play as gay as humanly possible?
Pretty much. If someone gives you **** for it, just remind them that you are playing to win. It's by far the easiest thing to do to win, and it works incredibly well. Like I said, I don't even play Brawl and I face-roll random tournaments doing this.

Kiru

Smash Cadet
Pretty much. If someone gives you **** for it, just remind them that you are playing to win. It's by far the easiest thing to do to win, and it works incredibly well. Like I said, I don't even play Brawl and I face-roll random tournaments doing this.
This is the best way to piss anyone off. just wall. I tend to wall with samus because I can get the missiles out quick and just bomb away. While they recover I just press down repeatedly.

Blissard

Smash Lord

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Jab is MK's worst move and even that's not useless in high-level play XD

sambo400

Smash Apprentice
Pick a metroid stage and watch it kill them for you.

Or pick GnW on Jungle Japes. The water will **** them, and if you ever get hit, DI, nair then downB. You can't die. That stage is too dark to even see GnW for most people.

Darkshadow96

Smash Journeyman
Pick a metroid stage and watch it kill them for you.

Or pick GnW on Jungle Japes. The water will **** them, and if you ever get hit, DI, nair then downB. You can't die. That stage is too dark to even see GnW for most people.
LoL. Pick G&W, spam Down Smash/ Forward Smash :awesome:

TP

Smash Master
Well seeing as how I retired from everything smash years ago, but stilll bust up scrub tournaments for free moneys every so often, I can tell you what I do to get easy money.

What I do is not based around a particular character, although I use Rob, but it's my overall strategy. My goal is to make the match go on and on and on. What you want to do is break your opponents spirit.

Pick a character and learn a handful of brick walls. A brick wall, for those of you who don't know, is a move or strategy that is hard to break and hard to figure out. It's usually not so bad to deal with once you figure it out, but if they don't know their way out of it then they are in for a whole lot of 'not fun.' Just play it very safe and switch to your next brick wall if anyone ever figures out your current wall.

If you are used to Melee, and have experience with tournaments then you shouldn't be nervous much about matches, and can even take a loss here and there if it still accomplishes the goal of driving your opponent insane. Another thing to point out is that while it's incredibly mentally draining for your opponent to fight against this style of play, it's actually really relaxed on your end because you aren't using much thought. This will keep you fresh at the end of a tournament, where many players will begin to show signs of fatigue.

Specifically what I do is pick Rob and laser all day long. I throw the top and do everything I can to be an annoying little *******. When they get in close I just space them with whatever move is the most appropriate, and then go back to spamming. It's VERY frustrating to many a player for them to feel like you are toying with them if you continue to just do piddly damage when they are at extremely high percents. In general I don't worry about killing my opponent at a specific percentage, and I don't overextend myself by changing my strategy to try to get a KO. Whatever you do, don't get greedy, even if you are behind. There were so many games that I made huge comebacks because my opponent started taking unnecessary risks when they were ahead, don't be like that.

If you can master this strat I guarantee you will trounce inexperienced players into the ground. You will break their spirit, and everyone there will dread it when they hear they have to face you. Often times the battle will be won before it begins.
1st place is $25. It's not worth being disliked by people unless you REALLY want that $25. Especially since you can be successful without playing gay at all.

Snake is the answer. At lower levels, Snake is the best character in the game. MK only overtakes him at higher levels. With Snake, spend 10 minutes in training mode getting comfortable with grenades, then just throw them at the opponent and Ftilt. When they reach 100%, Utilt. Also, if you have Melee experience, Dthrow techchasing does obscene amounts of damage and is very easy.

It's that simple, and nobody will accuse you of playing gay, so you will be respected as a good player.

PrepareYourself

Smash Ace
How about Diddy?

Bananas can really trip (shut up wasn't intended) beginners up, just throw them one after another as they try to run away. It'll drive them crazy.

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
If you're forced into a 4 man FFA, pick Snake and shieldcamp grenades until one other person remains.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Early in the metagame Snake was the best char in the game. So I'd recommend him.

If your time commitment really is approaching zero, play Metaknight. You don't press B in every matchup, just most of them. The others are about down air, shuttle loop, and some other stuffs.

Ohmu

Smash Apprentice
I've heard some other people in your situation (Hungrybox?) used Dedede at first. He's MUCH easier to use than snake or mk, and just as safe to play if your opponents are average to below average in skill. (Most say he's the easiest character to play, especially at low levels.)

Easiest method:

To approach, run forward and shield or spotdodge.
To attack, throw out of shield.
To get a kill move, just dsmash after a dthrow, or gimp with bair.

That's all. You can do more, but you probably won't need to. This is not even an oversimplification. This doesn't work just against scrubs, either. (Though obviously it won't work against genuinely good players.)

This video (Coney's) will persuade you that there' no easier option: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDGngcM7QJE

Edit: Oh and you probably know this, but Dedede has a n incredibly easy chainthrow on most of the cast. Just dthrow repeatedly. If your opponents aren't great, this will be an auto-win in most matches, I think.

Fun facts:
Dedede is the 2nd or 3rd heaviest in the game.
He has the longest (non-tether) grab except Olimar. (Pivot grabbing doubles its range, too.)
He has one of the longest spotdodges in the game. (Probably the longest, I don't remember. If you spotdodge repeatedly, you only have 3 frames of vulnerability in between them.)
His bair will beat almost any move.
His utilt kills most characters in the game at around 100%. (2nd only to Snake's utilt.)
He has 5 (2nd) jumps, and a crazy high 3rd jump.
His bthrow does 18% damage.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Fun facts:
Dedede is the 2nd or 3rd heaviest in the game.
He has the longest (non-tether) grab except Olimar. (Pivot grabbing doubles its range, too.)
He has one of the longest spotdodges in the game. (Probably the longest, I don't remember. If you spotdodge repeatedly, you only have 3 frames of vulnerability in between them.)
His bair will beat almost any move.
His utilt kills most characters in the game at around 100%. (2nd only to Snake's utilt.)
He has 5 (2nd) jumps, and a crazy high 3rd jump.
His bthrow does 18% damage.
Eh not quite
4th heaviest.
true
frame data is 2-20 invincibility, 25 frames long. (best spotdodges are 2-20 invincibility, 22 frames long) He just stays in the background after his invincibility ends so you can't hit him with most moves.
Yea his utilt is more powerful than his Usmash, and against players who don't know how to DI it will kill super early.
4 2nd Jumps, though they really don't give much height.
16% damage...
Oh and he also has the highest falling speed in the game, third slowest run speed, and the slowest air speed.

The more you know :)

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Pick MK, press B, swing by them, swing back, get on the ledge, plank.
Congratz, you won with the opponent at 3 stock and 7%.

In friendlies, there are no technical rules, so you can just slip the opponent a roofie before the match. Or punch them. That really works. Like, every time. Seriously.

Luxor

Smash Champion
frame data is 2-20 invincibility, 25 frames long. (best spotdodges are 2-20 invincibility, 22 frames long) He just stays in the background after his invincibility ends so you can't hit him with most moves.
Yes, he goes into the Z-axis- meaning his spotdodge is EFFECTIVELY one of the best in the game, up there with Link/TL/Yoshi/Falco.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
1v1s or 4vs? You know the answer for the former. For the latter, pick Lucas or Ike.

Photos

Smash Journeyman
pikachu.
spark to keep them away.
thunder if they're coming in from above or fast.
d-smash if they're right on you.
jump, down-attack if you can't reach them.

skekasaurus

Smash Cadet
The easiest one to win with I would have to say is pikachu. He's quite fast and difficult to hit especially if you have casual players playing, has excellent attack power, plus you can spam the wholly hell out of his thunder to get an easy kill.

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
Wait for the person to go to the bathroom then unpause the game and kill them simple it works against everybody. My older brother use to do that to me.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Well... Definitely one way, that is beyond annoying to me, is edge *hogging* (ty PARA). As in holding onto the ledge so your opponent cannot recover themselves. I don't really view that as "winning" though, seeing as you didn't "earn" the kill :c

But I guess it is all fair-play.

PARAK¥Z£

Smash Rookie
What you just explained is edge hogging. Edge guarding is attacking repeatedly near an edge afaik. But both can easily be avoided.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Well... Definitely one way, that is beyond annoying to me, is edge-guarding. As in holding onto the ledge so your opponent cannot recover themselves. I don't really view that as "winning" though, seeing as you didn't "earn" the kill :c

But I guess it is all fair-play.
This is a troll post. I know it.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
What you just explained is edge hogging. Edge guarding is attacking repeatedly near an edge afaik. But both can easily be avoided.

Oh, ok. Thanks for the info :) How is edge hogging easily avoidable though? I am not questioning it, just looking for some advice, haha.

This is a troll post. I know it.
I didn't mean for it to be :( Are you not annoyed when people do that?

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I didn't mean for it to be :( Are you not annoyed when people do that?
Ah, excuse me then. Let me explain.

The way I see it is that your goal in order to win is to get the other person off the edge and into the blast line to eliminate their stocks, right? So once you've hit someone off the edge (or even if they jump off the edge), you should try to stop them from getting back on the edge in any way you can. That means you should grab the edge, hit them when they return, go out and in hit them...just basically do whatever you can to deter them from getting back. I mean, that is truly how you win.

If you're playing Basketball and winning and there's 24 seconds left on the clock when you just got the ball, you just hold the ball. You don't just shoot it mindlessly to give the other team a chance to come back.

If you don't grab the edge, you're simply giving them a chance to come back. Perhaps one might say, "But I want to fight them on the stage with dignity!" Well, unless there are some actual rules that prevent you from getting on the edge and stopping their return, you should do so, because it's within the game's parameters. Not doing so just means you're making up rules for no reason.

In addition, when other people don't grab the edge or even try to hit me back off the edge, I'm a little frustrated because they're not trying all that they can be to win. There are times outside of tournament where I'll go down and up air my opponent to save him, but that is different from when you are, in essence, doing all that you can within the game's boundaries to win.

Is there anything I can touch upon to make it clearer, perhaps?

P.S. They aren't necessarily "easily" avoidable, but there are options against it, unless you are too far away from the stage.

Top Bottom