• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Questions & Answers Thread (READ FAQ in OP)

daisho

Smash Lord
I would read all the guides and just figure out how to play.

In my opinion the most important things (in order of priority) are

Learning how to space B airs

Learning how to time the SA frames of DKs punch

Learning to DI well, momentum cancel and Up B break

Otherwise just keep playing and getting feedback (if you post in the "rate my DK" thread we will help you) and you are sure to get better!

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
That was the random lol, i got a question. Is it neccesary to learn GFSC combo.

daisho

Smash Lord
That was the random lol, i got a question. Is it neccesary to learn GFSC combo.
Certainly not necesarry, nobody actually uses it in tourney matches (except maybe one european DK). But I think it would greatly benefit whoever did, and in an inf banned world DK could be A tier if he used it.

RP`

Smash Apprentice
When fighting against Falco, I would get CG'd and spiked, as expected. But for some reason I can never recover from this. As in, my jump would not work. I would spam my jump constantly but get nothing out of it, yet I hear DK mains saying to save the jump after when you get spiked, but there has to be something I am missing here.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
When fighting against Falco, I would get CG'd and spiked, as expected. But for some reason I can never recover from this. As in, my jump would not work. I would spam my jump constantly but get nothing out of it, yet I hear DK mains saying to save the jump after when you get spiked, but there has to be something I am missing here.

You might be losing your second jump if you are trying to use it to get out of the CG (not saying you are, IDK).

Your second Jump can meteor cancel his meteor smash (spike) if I'm not mistaken, and you should be able to recover if you do that. IDK if mashing the button causes you to lose your second jump after the spike, but maybe if you tried to time it instead you would have better results. You should be able to recover from the meteor smash, though.

Edit: Something else I was thinking about. If you DI towards the stage, I've heard you can Tech the stage to get out of the CG>spike. I've never had to do it myself, I don't face many (if any) Falco players on a regular basis.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
The reason is because if you mash on jump during the chain grab to get out if he messes up he can grab you out of your jump and you don't' get another jump. So save your jump till you get spiked and get back up. It definitely sounds like that is what's happening. That or your getting spiked out of your jump when he goes for the spike...

crifer

Smash Lord
yeah you get grabbed out of your jump, so you will not get the 2nd jump back...
I somehow make it the most of the time back after the cg spike, but sometimes it does not work,
should i mash jump with x or y, or the analogstick or wait and jump after a few frames
(i think there is a 20 frames time window where you can press jump right? or was it teching?) ?

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
When DK releases someone does he get 10 frame advantage like Koopa? I found somewhere that fact.

RP`

Smash Apprentice
yeah you get grabbed out of your jump, so you will not get the 2nd jump back...
I somehow make it the most of the time back after the cg spike, but sometimes it does not work,
should i mash jump with x or y, or the analogstick or wait and jump after a few frames
(i think there is a 20 frames time window where you can press jump right? or was it teching?) ?
Oh, that could be it. It must be happening so fast I haven't noticed I am actually jumping then immediately getting grabbed.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
So whos going to Genesis?

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Nice, im just wondering. Ill be there 80% sure. If i go, ill be wearing my usual DK tie.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
LMAO, its not like tie quality though. Its like uhhh, i cant explain it.

I got it when i went to E4all. I actually was able to get several, one for each day of the week. ;)

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
LMAO, its not like tie quality though. Its like uhhh, i cant explain it.

I got it when i went to E4all. I actually was able to get several, one for each day of the week. ;)
rofl!

Pulling an Albert Einstein with DK ties? Priceless. :laugh:

Thats awesome. I'm kinda picky about my ties, though, so I guess I need to keep the search going. Thanks for the info, though. I may just finally break down, save up the money and have one custom made to my personal specs. Maybe someday. :)

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Meteor cancel with the joystick, always. You can just press up a bunch and you'll be able to meteor cancel asap. Pressing x or y too soon delays your meteor cancel similar to how you can't tech if you press shield too soon.

crifer

Smash Lord
Meteor cancel with the joystick, always. You can just press up a bunch and you'll be able to meteor cancel asap. Pressing x or y too soon delays your meteor cancel similar to how you can't tech if you press shield too soon.
thx man, I knew there was something like that

Luigi player

Smash Master
Why is Jungle Japes considered a good stage for Donkey Kong?
DK lives really really long if you know how to DI well.
He also doesn't have a problem with the water, other characters do.
The sides aren't that far away so a well placed bair or other strong attack can kill the enemy somewhat early.
UpB down from the platforms... it can be lagless and/or with SA if you time it right.
From the middle platform you can just grab the edges of the side platforms with a grounded upB.
Cargo Stage Spike is easy since from the middle platform you can just throw them on one of the side platforms...
Down B is nice on the middle platform...
Maybe you can spike your enemy since there are some holes in the stage...

Yeah that's about it I guess.

pAce

Smash Cadet
DK lives really really long if you know how to DI well.
He also doesn't have a problem with the water, other characters do.
The sides aren't that far away so a well placed bair or other strong attack can kill the enemy somewhat early.
UpB down from the platforms... it can be lagless and/or with SA if you time it right.
From the middle platform you can just grab the edges of the side platforms with a grounded upB.
Cargo Stage Spike is easy since from the middle platform you can just throw them on one of the side platforms...
Down B is nice on the middle platform...
Maybe you can spike your enemy since there are some holes in the stage...

Yeah that's about it I guess.
Is that it? :laugh:

Sounds like I should practice this stage with Donkey Kong more.

daisho

Smash Lord
Is that it? :laugh:

Sounds like I should practice this stage with Donkey Kong more.
Yeah. There are other things though.

Many of Donkey kongs main succesful killing moves (D smash U air U tilt sometimes punch) are vertical killers. Vertical kills are extremely difficult here.

Since the sides are so short DK can die really easily.

pAce

Smash Cadet
Yeah. There are other things though.

Many of Donkey kongs main succesful killing moves (D smash U air U tilt sometimes punch) are vertical killers. Vertical kills are extremely difficult here.

Since the sides are so short DK can die really easily.
I guess the good outweigh the bad, although I had some trouble against a R.O.B. who camped on the right side - which is why I asked, actually. I felt at a disadvantage against his camping.

daisho

Smash Lord
Why isn't rob a bad matchup? I can't beat robs.

Also, whose advantage is it on Luigis Mansion, DK or Olimar?

What is a good counterpick... Ive been using halberd against people (not fox or olimar since they have great vertical kill moves, but against most of the cast its pretty good). What do you recommend and why? (Besides LM and Japes).

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Olimars advantage on Mansion. A good counterpick you can use could be Brinstar. Brinstar cuz you can kill extremely early (as early as 40 on some characters), and the lava can help you with your fail vertical recovery.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Japes>olimar. Unfortunately japes and mansion are banned around here. I usually go to yoshi's if I need a counterpick, I'm not too fond of brinstar.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I'm teaming with PP at this next Billfest, but I've heard how beast you are. I'd love to some other time.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I'm teaming with PP at this next Billfest, but I've heard how beast you are. I'd love to some other time.
Alright, DUB get's priority as my teammate though so if he's not there or wants to team with someone else then we'll team sometime.

Top Bottom