• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Silliest things some Smash Bros fans say (State why you find it silly)

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Dark Pit didn't deserve to be in.

I think he should've been in before Palutena. Considering that he's got more moveset potential than Palutena. I really don't like Palutena in this game.

KCJ506

Smash Cadet
- Anytime someone says that a certain character stole another's spot. The only way for this to even happen is if a character was planned to be in the game, but they got taken out for whatever reason and another character was put in their place. Other than that it's nothing more than people blindly scapegoating a character to be the reason to why their favorite didn't get in.

- Lucario is a Mewtwo clone and replaced him in Brawl. It baffles me that all these years later there are people that still think this.

Reaperfan

Smash Apprentice
"It takes a certain kind of skill to learn the intricacies and uses of all the items. Really skilled players would have no problem playing with items because they'd know how to play around all of them."

Makes me laugh every time. It also makes me die a little inside, but the laughter tends to offset that.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
"It takes a certain kind of skill to learn the intricacies and uses of all the items. Really skilled players would have no problem playing with items because they'd know how to play around all of them."

Makes me laugh every time. It also makes me die a little inside, but the laughter tends to offset that.
Eh, mostly the last part. Using items correctly can take some sort of skill (aim for the throwing/shooting weapons, timing for the bat, spacing for the Special Flag, etc.).

Reaperfan

Smash Apprentice
Eh, mostly the last part. Using items correctly can take some sort of skill (aim for the throwing/shooting weapons, timing for the bat, spacing for the Special Flag, etc.).
Mostly I see this used as an argument to allow items in tournament play. It certainly does take skill to optimally use items on an individual basis once they've been picked up, but the issue is about the randomness and location of their appearance. There's a certain irony in someone arguing for their place in a tournament setting by saying it takes skill to use them and ignoring the core issue that only serves to show they have no real knowledge of why the tournament scene exists at all and that they really have no place debating tournament procedure. They just casually write it off as "eh, the better player will just be able to avoid the item." That irony and the seriousness with which it is usually said is what I find funny. The misunderstanding of the nature of competitive gaming is what I find depressing.

Disclaimer: I'm aware of the Item Standard Play movement. I think they've done a great job fitting items into the game in a way that still allows competitive nature to flourish. I also don't think it will ever gain enough traction to become more than a side event.

Last edited:

KCJ506

Smash Cadet
Another one I just thought of

"(insert character name) isn't popular enough/too obscure" to be in Smash. This hasn't and never will be a valid criticism. Part of the appeal of Smash is to introduce people to lesser known characters. If Sakurai thought like these people, then Captain Falcon, Ness, the Ice Climbers, the Fire Emblem characters and maybe not even Pit would be in these games.

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
"Sakurai is right" when regarding what he said in a recent interview.

Yeah Sakurai is totally right. A more hardcore Smash would fail and people must move on to another gam-

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
except a lot of people (including myself) don't like the hardcore Melee and Project M, or intimidated for lack of a better word. The hardcore players keep playing Melee to this day, but a lot of people would move on to another game because then they don't have to immediately be skilled in a fast paced, technical, and competitive game.

So, in a sense, he is right. But he's pretty much on the side of casual players, because only hardcore players would like a more competitive game.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"X series has music so good it doesn't need a remix" - Wrong. And I know that I have a hatred for the Engage the Enemy remix of the Xenoblade Medley but some of the song choices for this game just don't seem suitable to fighting. I like the Gaur Plains tracks (The ones titled "Gaur Plains") but the original versions aren't suitable for a fighting game (That goes Doubly for Gaur Plains Night) but more to exploration of a lush prairie land. The remix heard in the medley should have been it's own piece along with a remix of Satorl Marsh for example.

I always seem to hear this with Sonic music. The original versions most likely suffer from having certain pieces cut out (Live and Learn) and it'd be nice to hear a new version of something. A remix of Green Hill or Windy Hill would have been nice because they just aren't suitable to fighting to if you ask me and would be preferable to Seven Rings in Hand.
Original tracks are put in for the sake of nostalgia and acknowledging the roots of the golden oldie characters. Mario is somewhat an exception to this though. So really, Green Hill makes perfect sense.

Windy Hill fits fighting just fine, considering that not all fight themes have to be "SUPER BADASS ANIME FIGHT YEEEAAAHHHRRRR". Windy Hill is perfectly fitting as a more light hearted fight theme. You could easily see Kirby fighting Pikachu to music like that, or heck, even Mario and Sonic having a friendly sparring match to it. Not every fight theme has to sound like the battle to end all battles. Especially when considering the fact Smash is not solely designed to be a super serious fighting game between anime ****boys, but also an insane mess where Kirby can throw Solid Snake into Pikachu and proceed to beat the crap out of Mario with a paper fan. You need your light hearted, more uppity songs for that.

I DO wish they at least used the OST version of Windy Hill Act 1, though. That second half is amazing.

Me personally, I will fight to any music as long as it's good. Even Gaur Plains Night works if you imagine an appropriate context for it (though I don't even need to do that, I just love that track).

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Whenever I see someone complain about Diddy being too good.

Learn your ****ing matchups, and find ways to counter him if he bothers you so much. Yeah, he is easy to use, but live and learn.

Last edited:

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
except a lot of people (including myself) don't like the hardcore Melee and Project M, or intimidated for lack of a better word. The hardcore players keep playing Melee to this day, but a lot of people would move on to another game because then they don't have to immediately be skilled in a fast paced, technical, and competitive game.

So, in a sense, he is right. But he's pretty much on the side of casual players, because only hardcore players would like a more competitive game.
Except a lot of non competitive people play and love Melee. It's not like all of a sudden only hardcore players played Melee when Brawl was released. You're making it as if Melee has a drastically higher entry bar compared to Brawl or Smash 4 and is freaking Street Fighter 2 Turbo, when it's just as accessible. Why would you be "intimidated" by things that a player who is "intimidated" of said things won't even encounter or use. Melee has the highest attach for it's console for a reason.

Reaperfan

Smash Apprentice
Except a lot of non competitive people play and love Melee. It's not like all of a sudden only hardcore players played Melee when Brawl was released. You're making it as if Melee has a drastically higher entry bar compared to Brawl or Smash 4 and is freaking Street Fighter 2 Turbo, when it's just as accessible. Why would you be "intimidated" by things that a player who is "intimidated" of said things won't even encounter or use. Melee has the highest attach for it's console for a reason.
There's a reason Street Fighter has less of a casual scene than Smash. Sure, you technically can play Street Fighter casually, but unless you put in at least an hour or so of execution practice you won't even be able to do the most basic of things like a quarter circle motion consistently. It's much less inviting to someone who doesn't want to practice and instead just wants to play, because in those kinds of games you have to practice to be able to play at all.

Melee might not have a higher entry bar than other games in the Smash series, but it has a much, much, much higher skill ceiling barring the unofficial hack of Project M. To be a serious Melee player takes just as much effort, focus, and practice as it does for Street Fighter. Smash may have a simpler control scheme than traditional fighters but, at least when it comes to Melee, takes just as much execution to pull off competitive-level maneuvers. No matter who you are, this is not easy. And that intimidates newcomers just as much as seeing something like this. A casual stumbles across those videos and thinks that's the way the game is supposed to be played, they realize they aren't, and really can't, do that stuff and then get turned off of the game because they aren't able to play it "right."

Start ignoring the casuals and you cut off your supply of newcomers. Competitive scenes need newcomers to continue growing. And designing your game without the casuals in mind is the easiest way to start choking down that supply route.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Melee is not even close to hard to get into. That's only for competitive play, and not even then. You don't need those techs to win. You actually need to practice hard to win. L-Cancelling and Wavedashing doesn't win games, Skill does.

The only real techs you're going to depend on is Shield, Air Dodge, and Sidestep at most. Anything else is icing on the cake. The skill ceiling is as high as the first game, where the only thing you really needed was L-Cancelling due to the lack of major other options. And that's because the game was laggy as hell anyway. Not the case for Melee. The skill celing is not that high, it needs practice in getting your timing down, which you need in every Smash game period. This is severely exaggerated overall. Every game is easy to get into, and being really good at it requires almost the exact same amount of practice anyway, depending the character, not some techs. If you think something like Wavedashing will win you games by itself, you're extremely bad. If you think it'll win if you know how to apply it, you're really good instead. No matter what you practice on, unless you can apply it in competitive settings, it won't do jack for you.

Yes, design the game for both, but as each game was rather easy to get into anyway, the issue doesn't really exist that much. Videos do almost nothing if they don't explain how to apply the techs and movements, which only real practice will do for you. So stop watching them unless they tell you how to do stuff. They're barely useful for anyone not already completely knowledge about every move and how they work. They're fun to watch but awful for teaching.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Which is why they're intimidating to new players.
Not really. They look cool. That's about all they need to do.

Honestly, every video in Smash that has crazy stuff going on(which is in every game so far bar none) is just as intimidating. It has nothing to do with Melee. It's the fact crazy stuff goes on without explanation. Explain the stuff, and the problem disappears.

Every single game is like that. Brawl has ludicrous things. Project M does too. Smash 64 is beyond ridiculous at times. Smash 4 may have the lowest amount of crazy stuff... oh, wait, no, it really doesn't. Not by any significant margin. It's flashy, it has tons of combos, it's insane at times. Like the rest. Melee is not actual intimidating, people refusing to explain how they did crazy stuff is. I don't watch videos at all. I just play against people and larned by reading what buttons to press at best. I figure it out on my own. Frankly, every single video for every game I watched looked just as nuts. And they almost never explain stuff so they're worthless. This is not specific to Melee and never was. It's a bad argument because it's common for every game that doesn't show the controls outright. Smash or otherwise.

That, and you ignored everything else I said despite being true. Advanced Techs won't help you win by themselves. Pure and utter skill will. Of course you're not going to win competitive play without immense practice. If you don't want to practice, don't join those tourneys. They are not the only way to play and Melee is perfect for casual players by itself. I have tons of fun without doing anything more than the Techs(Pressing Shield when you hit the ground and immediate go back up your feet due to this). That's the only specific one I'm used to. And it takes no effort to get it right. You just need to practice it in the heat of battle, which is pretty easy. Now, applying when to use the roll version or just immediately getting up actually takes skill. The skill that all competitive players need, to read the opponent correctly. No amount of of techs will ever help. That's something you learn through facing them only. Even in casual play, that helps if you actually want to win sometimes.

For the record, the only videos that intimidated me were Brawl, and that's because I can't understand how people could approach or get KO's off. It was too defensive and the game looked horrible because of it. Every other game looked really easy to get into and figure out. I felt like I could do something by watching the videos. Brawl? Not really. It's why I went with power characters in it, since at least I could KO sometimes. That's not even counting how unbalanced the matches are by a severe degree since the game just has no decent character balance to even a remote degree. The other 3 games didn't lack this, so they felt very easy for me to get into. Nobody felt beyond awful or unviable. Brawl is the most intimidating game to me that I ever played. And it still is. I avoid tourneys for it entirely because outside of playing Snake, Lucas, Wolf, Squirtle, and Ivysaur, it quite literally brings nothing interesting to me to the table. The tier gaps are so wide that actually playing it competitively feels impossible. The other 3 games never had anyone that so broken as Meta Knight or so terrible as Link/Zelda/Ganodorf that it was hard to get into. By the time you actually see any real competitive match, you'll learn the hard way your favorite character may be completely worthless. That's way more intimidating than some video, knowing you practically cannot play a character without being waffledstomped.

Reaperfan

Smash Apprentice
I guess I hit a nerve? I wasn't arguing with you. Honestly I think we agree on things more than disagree.

The whole point is that new players have no idea what they're doing. Some (I'd wager to say most) eventually go looking for videos when they feel like learning a bit more. They find a bunch of videos with all these amazing things happening, but they can't follow those things yet. The videos typically don't explain anything short of an occasional passing mention from a commentator, which doesn't exactly shed a whole lot of light on anything beyond the surface level mechanics. At this point, hypothetical newbie is getting kinda iffy on this whole "how to play the game like that" thing. If they feel like going further (not all of them do and just stop bothering right there) they look up an article or tutorial video. If they find anything substantial at all, they're usually treated to an essay's worth of detailed technical and strategic writing explaining the thing, or a 10-15 minute video explaining the thing. Then they realize there are lots of other "things" and there's just as much to learn about all of those as well. It's information overload to someone who's just looking out of mild curiosity. If they keep going, it typically means they're a bit more serious about the competitive side of things.

If we're gonna continue this, I think we should do it in PMs though. I think we've hijacked this thread enough for now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I guess I hit a nerve? I wasn't arguing with you. Honestly I think we agree on things more than disagree.

The whole point is that new players have no idea what they're doing. Some (I'd wager to say most) eventually go looking for videos when they feel like learning a bit more. They find a bunch of videos with all these amazing things happening, but they can't follow those things yet. The videos typically don't explain anything short of an occasional passing mention from a commentator, which doesn't exactly shed a whole lot of light on anything beyond the surface level mechanics. At this point, hypothetical newbie is getting kinda iffy on this whole "how to play the game like that" thing. If they feel like going further (not all of them do and just stop bothering right there) they look up an article or tutorial video. If they find anything substantial at all, they're usually treated to an essay's worth of detailed technical and strategic writing explaining the thing, or a 10-15 minute video explaining the thing. Then they realize there are lots of other "things" and there's just as much to learn about all of those as well. It's information overload to someone who's just looking out of mild curiosity. If they keep going, it typically means they're a bit more serious about the competitive side of things.

If we're gonna continue this, I think we should do it in PMs though. I think we've hijacked this thread enough for now.
My point is that it's not a Melee thing, that's all.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Anytime people start complaining when I beat them with Yoshi in Melee.

Just because he's low-tier, doesn't mean I can't learn him well and know the matchups.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Let's steer clear of Melee vs Brawl vs P:M vs Smash 4 x casual vs competetive arguments, shall we? Those aren't welcomed topics of discussion for obvious reasons.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Use a powerful move twice successfully and people say" Stop Spamming that".
People saying your teaming up on them if you and the other person combo them.
I saw someone say Mew2King sucks at smash before -_-

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
This is by far the stoopidest things I've heard in this thread so far -__-
I have to deal with those same complaints constantly lol, oh and I forgot one.
Saying a characters bad and I suck at smash then I beat them with the character they call bad.

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
  • "I actually liked tripping in Brawl." Yeah, everyone loves when they lose at a critical moment because a dice roll says so. If I want to spontaneously trip and die, I'll play an ASCII dungeon crawler, or QWOP.
Now Imma interrupt you for a sec to defend this as I have said this.

I only like tripping when playing casually as I really enjoy the kinds of antics it can bring if everyone is playing casually. It's like the hidden blocks in Mario Party, which I also enjoy. Everyone's just playing like usual, goofing around, making jokes, then someone loses the match to a trip and, if with the right people, leads to everyone yelling and goofing around even harder.

Now when playing seriously yeah I don't like tripping at all, but casually I'm all for it.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
When people say they are not going to Main a character because they are overuse. So let me get this straight you'er not going to main a character that you love and supported just because other people are main them? This got the "I'm special" or "unique" mentality written all over it. If you want to be unique take your hand turn you console off, get a nail and hammer and nail your hand to a table. There not you are one of a small group of idiots that have to got to the hospital because they nail their hand to a table, Unique enough for ya.:glare:

Reaperfan

Smash Apprentice
When people say they are not going to Main a character because they are overuse. So let me get this straight you'er not going to main a character that you love and supported just because other people are main them? This got the "I'm special" or "unique" mentality written all over it. If you want to be unique take your hand turn you console off, get a nail and hammer and nail your hand to a table. There not you are one of a small group of idiots that have to got to the hospital because they nail their hand to a table, Unique enough for ya.:glare:
That's an "if and only if" scenario where you assume the person loves the over-used character. I agree with you in the situation of "Game just came out, person picks up Diddy because they like him, Diddy becomes popular, person stops playing Diddy." But if a person who never played a popular character says they won't play that character, why does it matter? They weren't playing them to begin with.

Last edited:

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
"X is totally OP", where X is a single move. And an easily punished one.
Like "Warlock Punch is OP because it's really strong and has armour". Get out of the way.
"Kirby's downB is OP because you it's strong and you can't kill him while he's in it". See above.
You get the idea. Just... really grinds my gears. You can't argue with them/educate them either, because they just call whatever beats it OP as well.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
"X is totally OP", where X is a single move. And an easily punished one.
Like "Warlock Punch is OP because it's really strong and has armour". Get out of the way.
"Kirby's downB is OP because you it's strong and you can't kill him while he's in it". See above.
You get the idea. Just... really grinds my gears. You can't argue with them/educate them either, because they just call whatever beats it OP as well.
Logical conclusion: Walking is OP.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I knew a guy IRL who said some questionable things:
He thought wavedashing was just rolling.
He thought Kirby was overpowered and cheap.

Other stuff I've heard:

"Mewtwo is the worst character in Melee and PM, and will be the worst in Smash 4"
"Competitive Smash takes all the fun out of the game"
"Just adapt to the items!" <- Lol
(Any statement stating Smash 4 will "die" competitively) <- gg @ not giving a brand new game a chance to develop
"(Any specific Smash game) sucks" <- Come on guys. We know Brawl had its issues, but there was still fun to be had.

And the most facepalm-worthy one that I hear all the time:
"Project M is an abomination to Smash/it ruined Brawl/it's too easy/it'll ruin the sales of Smash 4" or anything of that nature. I seriously cannot stand people who say that. No one is forcing it down your throat. Get over it.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Anything related to Wolf, Lucas, Toonie and whoever else being a flat-out clone of their base characters. It aggravates me a little whenever I see this, as the the only true "clones" that exist now are Pittoo, Roy 2.0:troll: and the Doc. Wolf wasn't a clone to begin with as his only similarties to Fox and Falco was his specials(yet they had completely unique properties and effects) and Final Smash. Everything else was completely his own. Lucas is pretty much in the same boat as Wolf(to a lesser degree though). Toonie and Falco are still largely based on the original characters, but play differently to the point where they feel like their own characters. This goes for the other Luigified characters.

"Lucario's aura rewards bad play" ....Really? I should be more surprised at this, but there's always gonna be people who complain about this. Playing bad with any character will just make you lose. Period. Lucario included.

"Chrom should've gotten in over Robin" Over Robin? A blue-haired swordsman(pretty boy and muscle man wasn't enough I guess:troll:) getting in over the spell-slinging, lightning sword-brandishing, sweet black overcoat-wearing tactician? Riiiiight. Besides, we have Lucina joining him. She's not Chrom, but she's Chrom's daughter. CLOSE ENOUGH.

"Snake has a colorful personality" ....What? If Snake has such a personality, then Mario must be outright bonkers.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I have one friend who still can't be convinced that Lucario doesn't play like Mewtwo. I explained in depth how they were different, and he still won't believe me. He's like, "Well, a counter and disable are the same thing, you get a free hit in either way."

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
One of my friends thinks Wii Fit Trainer is top tier because he beat a team of 3 Level 7 CPUs with her. On Gaur Plain.
You can all collectively smash your faces into your keyboards now.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I have one friend who still can't be convinced that Lucario doesn't play like Mewtwo. I explained in depth how they were different, and he still won't believe me. He's like, "Well, a counter and disable are the same thing, you get a free hit in either way."
Tell him this:
With counter you hit someone. With disable, you go for a charged smash attack, Down Tilt follow ups, Grab combos, etc.

Top Bottom