• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Silliest things some Smash Bros fans say (State why you find it silly)

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
I once saw this guy who made a petition to have Super Smash Bros for the 3DS on PS Vita because "we don't want to play an underpowered system".

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I once saw this guy who made a petition to have Super Smash Bros for the 3DS on PS Vita because "we don't want to play an underpowered system".
It's not just the fact it makes no sense to be on something other than a Nintendo system. Just how will you connect it with the Wii U version? Exactly. It's severely illogical.

-Ridley is too big Nope. But he does have other issues to consider. More like length of his tail, and properly making him intimidating. It's not so much the moveset as the characterization. Ganondorf actually is very true to his overall characterization and feels pretty accurate in that regard. He doesn't need some sword(which he always had since Melee, just not directly in the fight, and has a move in 4, which is pretty good overall), he just needs to show off his power and magic. A couple more sword moves is fine, but it should not be the focus.

-Ganondorf is severely inaccurate to the Zelda games See above. But more specifically, he never had a real sword in any Zelda game prior to Melee. They added the tech demo sword as a bonus to his taunts. Being that Sakurai even said he wasn't going to put him in without being a clone, the chances of the sword coming up or him ever not starting as a clone were low to begin with. If he didn't at least use clearly named magical attacks and actually felt like a mage using physical variants, I would see a severe problem with his design. But as of now, he feels great. He even feels more different as of 4. His power rating is off the charts and he kills beyond easily. He can also tank stuff with super armor now. A far cry from how Falcon is like.

-Sonic should get more playable characters Until Sonic Team is bought out by Nintendo, they're still a 3rd Party company. It doesn't really matter how popular or notable they are. In order to do this, you'd have to seriously be fair and give every represented series at least one more character 3rd party-wise. While it's not too hard for MegaMan to have another character, Pac-Man is a lot different. Sakurai was asked by Miyamoto to put him in Brawl(which is a major reason why he would be a blatant choice for Bandai-Namco. Even if their mascot, Bandai is also a notable part, and was not shown any actual love despite having many video game originals like Digimon), but didn't have any move ideas. Now how can he get yet another Pac-Man character in? However, for other Bandai-Namco series, he could easily do so. But that should mean another Sega series and Capcom series should get in to. Same, logically, with Konami if they can get them to return. Snake and Simon or Bomberman seems like an appropriate and very notable choice.

-Duck Hunt is only the Dog or a Duo While it's true the European named was called Duo, this was in fact false as proven some time later by DH's own trailer. It's a strict trio. Likewise, the Duck and Hunter matter just as much as the Dog. In fact, the Duck has a huge amount of attacks too. I can still understand dislike for the Dog, though. The Duck and Hunter? Not sure why... especially the Hunter. If you're bad at the game, I can see why the Duck would annoy you. It's like going up against a Boss you can't hit. Of course you'll be annoyed. It's not a snipe at any Duck Hunt player, mind you. It's an actual thing. If you have trouble with the game due to a certain enemy, you'll dislike the enemy. Not always the case, but it happens. Could apply to a Mode/Stage as well. Or a gameplay element.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
-Ridley is too big Nope. But he does have other issues to consider. More like length of his tail, and properly making him intimidating. It's not so much the moveset as the characterization.
For the tail Ridley can have it curled around to make it seem shorter until he uses it to attack:

Intimidation is the tough one as different people find different things intimidating.

Anyway another silly thing I've heard from one person at College.
"Replace Pikachu with Emolga" - What? Replace the Mascot of Pokemon with a cheap knock-off that has a flying type? Yeah... No.
No character should be replaced or cut (though I'd make an exception for Pichu, Squirtle and Ivysaur seeing as there'd be too many Pokemon, there's already a Water Starter and do we really need 2/3's of the Pokemon reps being from Generation 1? Plus Pichu's a pre-evolution of Pikachu. It wouldn't bring anything new to the table). Kind of brings me back to Lucario and Mewtwo.

"Lucario replaced Mewtwo" - *See post about Mewtwo being a Lucario clone but add in time constraints for Brawl*

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
"The original 12 are guaranteed to be in every smash game."

Until Sakurai himself says so, I won't fully believe that. I mean, just because they haven't left yet doesn't mean they'll all stay forever. Only the original 8 are truly guaranteed.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
"Diddy Kong is broken"
Not yet, imo. The game is new and once people learn the MU better, I'm sure he won't be seen as op anymore. But I do agree that he needs some tweaking, but he isn't broken.

"Who picked this stage?! This stage sucks!" (I picked omega kongo jungle 64 and these people were complaining that I didn't choose FD)
Then they said that whoever picked that stage needed to get KOd first, I proceeded to win :) [8 player smash]

• "I can't beat this guy who's rolling and projectile-spamming even though I know I'm the better player."
  • "SSB4 is too defensive. I'm scared to launch an attack 'cause there's so much landing lag." - I think rookies are more worried about this than high-level players are.
  • "Everyone should have Smooth Lander equipped in organized play."
  • "The Mii took moves that should have gone to other newcomers." They're really just an amalgamation of moves that other fighters already have, and they're fun.
  • "I actually liked tripping in Brawl." Yeah, everyone loves when they lose at a critical moment because a dice roll says so. If I want to spontaneously trip and die, I'll play an ASCII dungeon crawler, or QWOP.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
I don't get why people think there AREN'T slots. Believe it or not, but there really are. Sakurai has said time and time again that there's a limit to how man characters that can be created. There are slots, so deal with it.

However, the clones are bonus characters and don't apply to the slot count. People need to realize that though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't get why people think there AREN'T slots. Believe it or not, but there really are. Sakurai has said time and time again that there's a limit to how many characters that can be created. There are slots, so deal with it.
Because "Slots" and "Playable Characters" are not the same thing. Slots are the space taken onscreen. Playable Characters are the actual characters you play as. The only game to even have them be the same count in Smash 64. Melee has 25 slots but 26 characters, Brawl has 35 slots, and 29 characters, and Smash 4 has 49 slots and 51 characters(Mii Fighters are the strange one because you can only select one class at once without transformations, and they have to be created first. They're still unique characters, unlike any of the alternate costumes, gameplay-wise).

However, the clones are bonus characters and don't apply to the slot count. People need to realize that though.
No, they still do. But they didn't "take a slot away" from anyone. They're still a separate slot. What Sakurai overall means is that an Alt will not be playable in some separate manner with their own moveset in any way, while clones will because they simply have differences. If Transformations were kept, he could just as well had Dr. Mario chooseable separately on Mario's slot. Could be as simple as pressing Z, R, or L. There's ways to do it. This is even the case in Project M, so it's definitely a good way to do it. The key reason for slots for characters who like extremely similar but play differently is to make it more clear they are different. You don't need that with alts, of course. And as I said, Mii Fighters are special.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
"Short-hopping is hard" - Anyone who uses buttons to jump

This is really... not that hard (in smash 4 at least)... Tapping a button is like... a basic gaming fundamental. You can short hop in many many platforming games, Mario included. Are you telling me in all platforming games you full jump all the time? I just... don't understand...

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
"Brawl is a bad game" It's actually pretty great
"Project M is a god given game" Ehhh still kinda sucks

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I don't get why people think there AREN'T slots. Believe it or not, but there really are. Sakurai has said time and time again that there's a limit to how man characters that can be created. There are slots, so deal with it.

Well, you can't just say that clones don't count as slots, even though they take up a separate space on the CSS. Slots on the menu don't define the roster count; they can easily be rearranged if need be. The thing keeping characters from being made is limited development time, rather than slots. That's what people usually mean when they say that there's no slots.

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170

Until Sakurai himself says so, I won't fully believe that. I mean, just because they haven't left yet doesn't mean they'll all stay forever. Only the original 8 are truly guaranteed.
It's even further proven false when you look at the fact that Sakurai was even considering cutting Ness in favor of Lucas in Melee. Granted it never happened and I think now it stands to prove they have the highest chance of returning. It doesn't mean they are completely immune from the chopping block.

This is really... not that hard (in smash 4 at least)... Tapping a button is like... a basic gaming fundamental. You can short hop in many many platforming games, Mario included. Are you telling me in all platforming games you full jump all the time? I just... don't understand...
The only way short hopping is remotely hard is if you use tap jump...which I do, and it's inconsistant as hell.

Speaking of Ness at one of our weekly stream tournaments someone went to semi's with a Ness and got kicked out and someone had the audacity to say "Good you deserve to get kicked out for using top 10 trash." I'm sorry but...how can you get mad when watching a Ness? He's so cool to watch [which is why i've been slowly picking him up]. Character shaming is just the stupidest, silliest thing to do.

Another silly thing I seen in youtube comments was: "Using the C-stick is unreliable and a bad habit you need to break because you have to move your fingers away from the face buttons and it takes too long." What? Do people not realize how important the c-stick is to some characters, or that C-stick was vital for old maneuvers like DACUS? Hell if you can get used to it and prefer tap jump just set your C-stick to tilts and away you go [Sadly I can't do this...i've tried and it just doesn't work for me.]

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114

They are the second most likely group to get in each new game, however (the first, of course, being the original eight).

PCHU

Smash Lord
"I never use grenades because I don't see the point of them" right before I 3-stocked the guy in a Snake ditto
"advanced tech skill is required to play the game" despite my many scrubby matches of PM wifi, cheesing skilled players (some of which waveshining circles around me) with grab stupidity and basic reads because I can't play the way I normally do
The legendary: "Stop hitting me!"
"How else am I gonna win?" after a kid was told the local tournament didn't allow swallowcides
"Wario's fsmash should be a big fist; his current one is too canon"
"powershielding shouldn't reflect projectiles; it discourages campy play"

Oh, wait...nobody ever said those last two...

Khao

Smash Lord

I agree that short-hopping shouldn't be much trouble for most players, as you simply must release the button really quickly. But jumping actually works completely differently in most platformers than it does in Smash.

In Smash, the total height of your jump is decided before you even leave the floor, after you're actually jumping, there's absolutely no way to influence the height of your jump, because the game already decided that this is either a full hop, or a short one. There is a short delay between the press of the button and the character actually jumping, through that moment between the button press and the actual jump, the character starts bending down to the floor to build up for the jump. If the button is still being held when that animation is over, it'll be a full hop. Otherwise, the jump will be a short hop. This is why it's a little bit harder to short-hop with some characters than others, because their animation before the jump is faster than usual.

In most other platformers (Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, you name it), the character jumps the very moment you press the button, and to reach the full height, you need to hold the button throught the entire ascent of the jump. If the button is released while the character is going up, even if you're halway to the peak of the jump height, the speed of the jump is cut down so the character starts falling down faster. This actually means that the time you can hold the button do a jump smaller than the full jump is much longer than it is in Smash. It's not even possible to make a distiction like "short hop" and "full hop", because you can release the jump button at any point of the jump, meaning you can get as many different heights in your jump as there are frames in the whole action.

So no, if you're able to do tiny jumps in Mario, it doesn't mean you're gonna be able to instantly short hop in Smash, as the actual mechanics work in completely different ways.

Last edited:

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
Dixie Kong deserves to be in over Shulk(or any other character that isn't the clone 3) with the logic, "Dixie Kong is more of a unique character, and would add alot more."

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Rosalina is a campy character"

How the **** can that be the case when it's commonly accepted that the majority of the time spent with Rosalina should involve keeping Luma BESIDE you, as an extension of Rosalina's own up close and personal attacks? She's still putting herself at risk by being near her opponent like that. Camping implies attacking from a distance without putting yourself at immediate risk. And even when Rosalina does send Luma out, it's rarely for more than a few seconds, and usually has something much more calculated in mind than some simple projectile spamming.

Seriously, people describe her as a camply character all of the time, and it baffles me add to why. Rosalina is not a campy character. She is a versatile one that can cover so many different areas, and using her to the fullest requires you grasp that concept. This is coming from someone who has had an overly aggressive playstyle with her as of late (i.e. rarely sending Luma out and approaching too much when I could be baiting approaches from the opponent).

:4megaman:,:4ness:,:4robinm:,:4villager:, :4miigun:,:4tlink:& :4duckhunt: are campy (at least to a much greater extent than Rosalina ever could be). Rosalina does not fit there at all.

"Campy characters can only be mid-tier at best, they're too slow to even be high tier"
:samusmelee::snake:

C3CC

Smash Lord
"Rosalina sucks without Luma".

People who say that need to shut the hell up for, like, a decade or something. Rosalina is AWESOME by herself. Luma is just a bonus.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Here's some-

June 2013 @ a Tournament in a small apartment

Top Player: "What happens when Kirby eats another character?"

(Same) Top player in regards to Snake not returning due to possible fall out between Nintendo and Konami; no MGSV on Wii U: "Wii Fit isn't on Wii U." - referring to the recently announced Wii Fit Trainer in the latest Smash Bros titles. Correction: Wii Fit U was announced at E3 2011 alongside the announcement of Wii U.

Lesson: You can be really good at Smash Bros and still not know everything.

You can drive a car. But you're not a car mechanic.

With love <3

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
How dare people have different opinions! THE NERVE MAN
IKR!?!?!?

But seriously, I meant that they can like it better, but it's not a 'better' game. I'd rather them say "I like Melee better" than "Melee IS Better and my opinion is fact"

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
"X series has music so good it doesn't need a remix" - Wrong. And I know that I have a hatred for the Engage the Enemy remix of the Xenoblade Medley but some of the song choices for this game just don't seem suitable to fighting. I like the Gaur Plains tracks (The ones titled "Gaur Plains") but the original versions aren't suitable for a fighting game (That goes Doubly for Gaur Plains Night) but more to exploration of a lush prairie land. The remix heard in the medley should have been it's own piece along with a remix of Satorl Marsh for example.

I always seem to hear this with Sonic music. The original versions most likely suffer from having certain pieces cut out (Live and Learn) and it'd be nice to hear a new version of something. A remix of Green Hill or Windy Hill would have been nice because they just aren't suitable to fighting to if you ask me and would be preferable to Seven Rings in Hand.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
"X series has music so good it doesn't need a remix" - Wrong. And I know that I have a hatred for the Engage the Enemy remix of the Xenoblade Medley but some of the song choices for this game just don't seem suitable to fighting. I like the Gaur Plains tracks (The ones titled "Gaur Plains") but the original versions aren't suitable for a fighting game (That goes Doubly for Gaur Plains Night) but more to exploration of a lush prairie land. The remix heard in the medley should have been it's own piece along with a remix of Satorl Marsh for example.

I always seem to hear this with Sonic music. The original versions most likely suffer from having certain pieces cut out (Live and Learn) and it'd be nice to hear a new version of something. A remix of Green Hill or Windy Hill would have been nice because they just aren't suitable to fighting to if you ask me and would be preferable to Seven Rings in Hand.
Good music is an opinion. Opinions aren't silly. In my opinion (I know you got this from me in another thread), (most of) the Sonic music in Smash is so good that I don't mind that it's ripped from the games. I enjoyed it there, and I enjoyed it here.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Good music is an opinion. Opinions aren't silly. In my opinion (I know you got this from me in another thread), (most of) the Sonic music in Smash is so good that I don't mind that it's ripped from the games. I enjoyed it there, and I enjoyed it here.
It's specifically the "doesn't need a remix part"
I'd rather that instead of taking the... less time consuming path (to be less damning of Sakurai) that there'd be a lot more new content. And isn't the stuff we find silly also down to opinions?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
It's specifically the "doesn't need a remix part"
I'd rather that instead of taking the... less time consuming path (to be less damning of Sakurai) that there'd be a lot more new content. And isn't the stuff we find silly also down to opinions?
I'd rather have remixes too, don't get me wrong (as long as they're good remixes of course), but in my opinion, the music is already so good that it doesn't need a remix to be good. Remixes would be a nice bonus. Also, finding something silly is an opinion, but the thing that is found silly is a fact. For example, from the OP:
Thought that we should have a topic where we laugh at some of the silly things that some Smash Bros. fans say. I'll start it off:

-Smash Bros. isn't a fighting game even though it has characters fighting
-Wavedashing is a glitch even though it's an exploit
-Tournaments are silly even though they keep a game and it's community alive
-clones are a waste of "slots" even though there are no "slots"
-so and so franchise only deserve so and so characters even though characters should be added for what they bring to the table

Post what you find silly with reasons below!
-Genres of games are a fact.
-Glitch vs. exploit is a fact.
-Tournaments being important is a fact.
-Clones being extras instead of replacing new characters is a fact.
-Characters-per-franchise limits not existing is a fact.
-Taste in music is an opinion.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'd rather have remixes too, don't get me wrong (as long as they're good remixes of course), but in my opinion, the music is already so good that it doesn't need a remix to be good. Remixes would be a nice bonus. Also, finding something silly is an opinion, but the thing that is found silly is a fact. For example, from the OP:

-Genres of games are a fact.
-Glitch vs. exploit is a fact.
-Tournaments being important is a fact.
-Clones being extras instead of replacing new characters is a fact.
-Characters-per-franchise limits not existing is a fact.
-Taste in music is an opinion.
:troll:

"Post what you find silly with reasons below!"

"Post what you"

"You"

"You"

And let's not leave out that some people have posted examples including "X Nintendo character should be playable" or stuff to do with Pac-Man's design.

Ergo what I find silly is silly to me and not necessarily to anyone else and what others find silly may only be silly to them.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
:troll:

"Post what you find silly with reasons below!"

"Post what you"

"You"

"You"

And let's not leave out that some people have posted examples including "X Nintendo character should be playable" or stuff to do with Pac-Man's design.

Ergo what I find silly is silly to me and not necessarily to anyone else and what others find silly may only be silly to them.
That's exactly what I said: "finding something silly is an opinion, but the thing that is found silly is a fact." Or it should be a fact, at least. I don't see anything saying "X character should be playable" (other than Master Chief or whatever), and Pac-Man's is still rather objective (the rest of Pac-Man's representation in Smash is from arcades, so this design fits the best). What would have made it an opinion is saying "I would have liked the Ghostly Adventures design." Saying what should have happened is objective; saying your personal wants is an opinion.

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
"SSE had a good story."

Ah, yes. Nintendo's greatest heroes saving the world from robots blowing it up. But then it turns out Dr. Manhattan was behind everything all along! What a riveting tale.

Grass

Smash Lord
"Smash 4 is garbage. Plebs play it to seem cool and relevant."

Right because Melee and the ridiculous number of Foxes is completely cool.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Palutena deserved to be in

She's only fought once throughout the entirety of KI and Sakurai finds an entire moveset for her

Last edited:

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Palutena's moveset is kinda weird, sure, but her specials at least are based on the Powers, which are specifically referred to as being gifts from Palutena to Pit.

Speaking of Pit, he got a full moveset based on approximately nothing in Brawl. And DHD's normals are entirely made up too (excepting the smashes). Kirby, Lucario, Pikachu, Fox, Falcon... I could go on. Their movesets are basically created from scratch. At least he has the justification of creating Palutena's current incarnation, and thus has a little licence to decide what she can and can't do.

Also, "Ledge trumping makes edgeguard play less exciting". It forces you to fight offstage to guarantee that early kill. You can't just drop down and dangle there while they fall to their death, you have to earn it. Though I guess this is a bit of an opinion thing too.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Dark Pit deserved to be in

He's only fought once throughout the entirety of KI and Sakurai finds an entire moveset for him
FTFY :)

Seriously though, Palutena was the only good choice for a second Kid Icarus rep, she has the Powers from Uprising, and Uprising is one of Sakurai's games. I'd say she definitely deserved to be in the game.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
He fought a bunch of times. And of course he has a moveset, he is a literal clone of Pit. Only his choice of weapons is different. He could just have been Pit, with different specials.

Oh wait.

I think he should have been more noticeably different though, even if he kept the same animations as Pit. But that is a discussion for another day.

Oh, and "Dark Team Fighter (from Light vs. Dark mode) should have been added instead of Dark Pit". Why? How? What? DP was a skin for Pit that got moveset and model tweaks, like Lucina. Remodelling him into a Dark Team Fighter just doesn't make sense. That's disregarding the fact that the generic Fighters have no presence in the story whatsoever, or personalities of any kind.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
He fought a bunch of times. And of course he has a moveset, he is a literal clone of Pit. Only his choice of weapons is different. He could just have been Pit, with different specials.

Oh wait.

I think he should have been more noticeably different though, even if he kept the same animations as Pit. But that is a discussion for another day.

Oh, and "Dark Team Fighter (from Light vs. Dark mode) should have been added instead of Dark Pit". Why? How? What?
Hence why I said "is fought" rather than "fought." I would have liked a more unique moveset for him as well, but I'm fine with him in the game. Just kidding around :p

Top Bottom