• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
To me the biggest point of the supposed leak is Square Enix part.
If we take it as a legitimate leak, then it says Reimu and Geno are both in the similar situation.
The first post literally says, "They (Reimu, Marisa, and Geno) are all with Square Enix."
I don't think anyone ever has claimed Touhou characters are now with Square Enix yet.
If the sponsor X somehow turns out to be Square Enix, then I might take it more seriously.
Touhou recently being so close with Taito is one thing we should be considering.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
What is this "sponsor X" thing ?
Last year, Touhou franchise annouced they got a huge sponsor but somehow they chose to hide their identities until 2020 and calling them "The Mysterious/Unknown Sponsor X".

Touhou franchise started new media Touhou Grakutasoushi and this website is sponsored directly by the Unknown X.
https://touhougarakuta.com/
This is the website where ZUN's interview saying that he wants Touhou characters in Smash came from.

They are also sponsoring YouTube channel Touhou Station.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjOirBi7KthXzm-q8ki_BGA

Sponsor X is now appearing in Chinese conventions too so whether it's Smash related or not, they are up to something for the Touhou franchise 2020.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
To me the biggest point of the supposed leak is Square Enix part.
If we take it as a legitimate leak, then it says Reimu and Geno are both in the similar situation.
The first post literally says, "They (Reimu, Marisa, and Geno) are all with Square Enix."
I don't think anyone ever has claimed Touhou characters are now with Square Enix yet.
If the sponsor X somehow turns out to be Square Enix, then I might take it more seriously.
Touhou recently being so close with Taito is one thing we should be considering.
ZUN used to work at Taito, did he not? That's why I never really thought much of Taito to begin with.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So... what if... sponsor x... is nintendo, which leads to reimu in smash, and offical touhou games coming to switch?

Last edited:

gavtel

Smash Cadet
ZUN used to work at Taito, did he not? That's why I never really thought much of Taito to begin with.
Yeah, he did. They apparently even made offers at one point to own the franchise but ZUN refused, despite still being an employee with them for a while. They're clearly still interested in the franchise despite him refusing to sell them it back then, considering how they've been producing quite a lot of Touhou merch for years now in their crane games (plushies (including Bkub ones for those who like their "Honk"ing Chens), character-themed headphones, pillow / bed covers) and recently released Touhou Spell Bubble on the Switch (Puzzle Bobble but with a rhythm element, doujin music and obviously Touhou characters)...

axel_

Smash Journeyman
I ended up just making my own PC-98 Reimu sprite :p
Here's the alts

Original Reimu sprite by CaillouStrawberry, default recolor by me
PC-98 Reimu edit by me
1584150946392.png

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I ended up just making my own PC-98 Reimu sprite :p
Here's the alts

Original Reimu sprite by CaillouStrawberry, default recolor by me
PC-98 Reimu edit by me
View attachment 265683
Looks pretty good! It's fitting that the longer haired characters are on the PC-98 based colors. I'd tried to look up PC-98 Reimu sprites, but could find none, in fact, the only MUGEN character of it that I saw seemed like a joke one, lol

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Yeah, Taito is his old home but they were showing themselves being so close to each other since last year like in convention scenes even way before Spell Bubble reveal. Taito used some Touhou stuffs before but I don't remember them being this close publically. However, if this was all for just Spell Bubble, I have to say it still makes enough sense tho.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So... what if... sponsor x... is nintendo, which leads to shantae in smash, and offical touhou games coming to switch?
I've thought of that. My best guesses right now are Nintendo or (shudder) Tencent. The fact that Sponsor X took part in something in China is rather interesting to say the least.

zferolie

Smash Hero
uhh, I think you meant Reimu
ah. don't type things out half asleep guys, take it from me haha

I've thought of that. My best guesses right now are Nintendo or (shudder) Tencent. The fact that Sponsor X took part in something in China is rather interesting to say the least.
god I hope its not Tencent... If it is nintendo though. we may see it at the nindie direct next week. Touhou while so massive is still a indie game

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I don't think Reimu is super likely, but she's always been sort of in the back of my mind as a potentially really cool addition. I don't know anything about her abilities, but a bullet hell character could have a lot of potential. Would someone be willing to post a good moveset? I checked the OP but there wasn't one there.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I don't think Reimu is super likely, but she's always been sort of in the back of my mind as a potentially really cool addition. I don't know anything about her abilities, but a bullet hell character could have a lot of potential. Would someone be willing to post a good moveset? I checked the OP but there wasn't one there.
Here's one I made last November:

I think I made a pretty good moveset for Reimu based on the Touhou games I've played.

Unique Mechanic #1: Grazing: Reimu has two hurtboxes. Her primary hurtbox, the size of a White Pikmin, is at the center of her entire model and any damage and knockback she takes from being hit there is doubled. (A fully charged Flare Blade would deal 100% damage instead of the usual 50%.) However, her secondary hurtbox, encompassing the rest of her body and surrounding her primary hurtbox, is different: all attacks that only hit the secondary hurtbox are treated as if they're parried, nullifying all damage and knockback that would have been dealt.
Unique Mechanic #2: Flying: Reimu's secondary jump is entirely replaced with the ability to fly. In this state, she can fly for twice as long as Peach/Daisy's Floating, but she can only access her aerials for that duration. Additionally, should Reimu move two Bowsers away from the point where she started flying, whether it be from moving with the joystick or using attacks that propel her in a direction, the flying will automatically deactivate. Reimu cannot access this flying until she lands on the ground.

Jab: A double slap and a kick. Based on her 5AAA from Scarlet Weather Rhapsody.

F-tilt: A forwards jab with her gohei. Has good range and has a sour spot on the paper frills at the end.

U-tilt: Reimu jumps upwards with both feet outstretched above her, giving this move some good range.

D-tilt: Reimu twirls her gohei in front of her. Similar to Palutena’s D-tilt, but hits multiple times.

Dash Attack: Jabs forwards with a single palm strike. While not dealing as much damage as one might think, it’s got good hitstun and is good as a combo starter.

Grab: Reimu holds the opponent in place with an amulet. For her pummel, she whacks them over the head with her gohei.

F-throw: Reimu launches the opponent with both her palms.

D-throw: Reimu jumps up and jabs her gohei on top of the opponent.

B-throw: Reimu flies behind the opponent and fires a barrage of needles that build up before she releases a large amulet that launches the opponent.

U-throw: Reimu channels power into the amulet, creating a rising pillar that launches the opponent upwards.

N-air: Reimu pokes her gohei forward, the end adorned with an amulet. This is a downwards-aimed N-air similar to the likes of Ryu, Ken and Terry.

F-air: Reimu flies forwards with a kick that deals some decent damage and can be used for evasion.

D-air: Reimu releases a powerful downwards palm that deals a meteor strike at the center of the move, and has a windbox surrounding it.

B-air: Reimu whirls her gohei behind her. This has good range, meaning it’s safe to attack with, but it doesn’t deal as much damage and isn’t a good kill tool.

U-air: A fiery crescent kick over her. Based on her Ascension Kick from the fighting games.

Side Smash: Reimu reels back and lunges forwards with both her palms, covering some good distance along the ground.

Up Smash: Reimu raises a palm above her for a moment, then creates a pillar of rising amulets that hits multiple times. Like Palutena’s Up Smash, this has some of the highest vertical range in the game, but unlike Palutena, this hits multiple times on both sides of her.

Down Smash: Reimu summons an amulet to travel along the ground in front of her, dealing damage to anyone in its wake. This can be changed to attack behind her instead of in front.

Neutral B: Hakurei Amulet: Reimu summons one large amulet and four smaller amulets and fires them in a spread. By tilting the joystick after pressing B, you can change the trajectory of the attack, and this can be used in mid-air.

Side B: Yin-Yang Orb: Reimu fires a large Yin-Yang that can be aimed. This projectile shares the same properties as Meloetta’s Relic Song, except the projectile disappears the moment it hits an opponent.

Up B: Floating Wall Jump: Reimu creates a barrier beneath her feet and jumps upwards. This has only fairly decent vertical distance, but like Cloud’s Climhazzard, an extra button press can send her downwards. The first attack can also aim downwards before returning upwards for mind games.

Down B: Dimensional Rift: A move that differs based on how long you press the button. Reimu will disappear from reality, then reappear to perform a certain attack. Lightly tapping B will perform a hurtling head stomp some distance in front of her. Holding the B button will perform a sliding kick that hits three times. The former can’t meteor spike but is good at gimping, and the latter is a good combo starter.

Final Smash: Fantasy Seal: Reimu releases a giant barrage of large multicolored orbs that hone in on all enemies on screen. They deal massive damage and absorb all other projectiles that they touch.

In short, Reimu is a highly-evasive glass cannon who possesses one of the best recovery games in the entire roster. Her survivability, contributed to by her flying, her parry-based secondary hurtbox and fast movement speed, is unparalleled and makes her projectile game all the more terrifying to come up against. However, she is extremely frail and terrible at close-quarters, with a less-than decent grab game, a distinct lack of keepaway and a primary hurtbox that doubles the damage she takes from enemies. Anyone who isn't too careful when playing as Reimu would experience some of the quickest stocks at their expense.

As a more recent Touhou fan, I'm not sure if I'm any faithful to the series, as I believe I've made a composite Reimu that takes mechanics from both danmaku and fighting game entries of the series.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I like this one made by NobleClamtasm a lot.
Reimu_moveset_3.0-2.png

Brazillian Cara

Smash Cadet
The curious thing about ZUN's relationship with Taito is that they had their own shoot'em up starring a shrine maiden in 1986, KiKi KaiKai, which would later lead to a couple of SNES sequels (known in the west as Pocky & Rocky) handled by Natsume. And Kiki KaiKai just got ported to the Switch as part of Hamster's Arcade Archives. I'd say it would be fitting if they were this sponsor X.

Also, it's not a big deal, but I've noticed my name wasn't added to the supporter list yet...

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
You know, I just noticed, Reitaisai 17 has been postponed to May 17th due to coronavirus commotion which was supposed to be on March 22nd, a day before FP2's release in Japan and I must say this means nothing.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
You know, I just noticed, Reitaisai 17 has been postponed to May 17th due to coronavirus commotion which was supposed to be on March 22nd, a day before FP2's release in Japan and I must say this means nothing.
Quick question, Is the pass still not up for purchase in Japan? Or is it just the card that's going to be released on the 23rd?

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Quick question, Is the pass still not up for purchase in Japan? Or is it just the card that's going to be released on the 23rd?
Yes, pass itself is already on sale with Byleth release. 23rd is for physical copies of the download card. But I'm not sure this has been changed or not.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
It's probably just a coincidence, just like how the final addition to DMC3 on the Switch was anounced the same day FP5 was revealed.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Yes, pass itself is already on sale with Byleth release. 23rd is for physical copies of the download card. But I'm not sure this has been changed or not.
Alright. Was a bit confused about your wording on the post. Thanks for clarifying!

Quick question for you, though. When did the unknown sponsor X thing start?

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Alright. Was a bit confused about your wording on the post. Thanks for clarifying!

Quick question for you, though. When did the unknown sponsor X thing start?
25th of July 2019. The reveal would be in early 2020. That's what they said. So people were expecting that would happen in Reitaisai 17.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
25th of July 2019. The reveal would be in early 2020. That's what they said. So people were expecting that would happen in Reitaisai 17.
Thanks again. As unlikely as it is, I was curious how it would line up if it actually was Nintendo and could in someway be related to smash. Gotta love conspiracy theories.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I also had this idea of a reveal at reitaisai. It would make sense. While a normal reveal is very likely to flop because people Touhou is quite niche, with a reveal at reitaisai, the crowd at least would have been incredibly hyped. Besides, a reitaisai reveal is actually the best way to show to the world how Touhou is relevant enough to have its own convention, which is quite rare, even for the biggest franchises. This is something very few people would have known if the reveal was made in a direct.

The timing was very good for FP6 and I believe FP6 is Reimu's best shot because they tend to start with the most surprising pick. They did it for FP1 with Joker (also at an event). Joker was very surprising because he is a recent 3rd party character with no presence on nintendo, even his franchise has no nintendo legacy (not like Cloud). I think it's pretty smart to start a pass with the most surprising pick because people will expect more crazy things and therefore buy the pass. As we saw, it only went down hill after Joker, Banjo and Hero where the biggest ones (logical for E3) but definitely also the most expected ones.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I also had this idea of a reveal at reitaisai. It would make sense. While a normal reveal is very likely to flop because people Touhou is quite niche, with a reveal at reitaisai, the crowd at least would have been incredibly hyped. Besides, a reitaisai reveal is actually the best way to show to the world how Touhou is relevant enough to have its own convention, which is quite rare, even for the biggest franchises. This is something very few people would have known if the reveal was made in a direct.

The timing was very good for FP6 and I believe FP6 is Reimu's best shot because they tend to start with the most surprising pick. They did it for FP1 with Joker (also at an event). Joker was very surprising because he is a recent 3rd party character with no presence on nintendo, even his franchise has no nintendo legacy (not like Cloud). I think it's pretty smart to start a pass with the most surprising pick because people will expect more crazy things and therefore buy the pass. As we saw, it only went down hill after Joker, Banjo and Hero where the biggest ones (logical for E3) but definitely also the most expected ones.
Though I got to ask... at this rate, will Reitaisai even happen?

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Reimu won't sell passes. Not "the" factor but still important. Her being FP6 wouldn't make much sense from a business perspective so I wouldn't put much hope in that.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Anyone know if the Indie world was announced for Japan yet?

Reimu won't sell passes. Not "the" factor but still important. Her being FP6 wouldn't make much sense from a business perspective so I wouldn't put much hope in that.
That really depends on how you look at it. I feel Reimu has a great market for potential buyers outside of the smash fanbase alongside a very good incentive for China and South Korea.

Though I got to ask... at this rate, will Reitaisai even happen?
It's been delayed till May, so hopefully the Coronavirus bull**** calms down by then.

Last edited:

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
That really depends on how you look at it. I feel Reimu has a great market for potential buyers outside of the smash fanbase alongside a very good incentive for China and South Korea.
Which is why I would even more say that Reimu won't be FP6, seeing that Smash has yet to come out in china officially.
Reimu is niche, not like Master Chief, Dante or Sora for example, which are far better to sell the pass in the beginning.

Don't get me wrong. Reimu for FP6 would be fantastic and I would shell out the money for the pass instantly. I just don't see it happen.

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I mean, the second fighters pass has been on sale for 2 months with no indication of any future characters. While the corona virus may have caused delays, certainly much of that time was intentional on the part of Nintendo. Basically, I mean that Nintendo expected FP2 to sell even without a marketable character to push. And despite the mixed reception of Byleth, I would guess that initial FP2 sales were a pretty good chunk of FP1. While I do agree Reimu wouldn't push as many units as other characters, even in Japan and other East-Asian countries where Touhou is most popular, if that's what Nintendo really really cared about, they would have shown of the first character right after Byleth dropped.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I havent bought the pass yet but will no mater who the first person is, but i just cant justify buying it without knowing at least 1 character

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I havent bought the pass yet but will no mater who the first person is, but i just cant justify buying it without knowing at least 1 character
I have bought it and I've put my faith in Sakurai to make fun characters even if I'm not interested in them as characters, but your stance is more than reasonable.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I have bought it and I've put my faith in Sakurai to make fun characters even if I'm not interested in them as characters, but your stance is more than reasonable.
Oh i am sure anyone sakurai makes will be great. I just feel that its bad practice to buy any dlc without know anything really about it. Its a little sketchy. Thats the only reason i havent bought it yet.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
This time I will hold off buying the new pass until someone gets in that I actually root for. The first fighter pass was a disappointment in that regard, as I've played none of the games (except for Three Houses but Byleth is still kinda bleh) and had zero attachement. Not saying the characters are bad in anyway or that the Pass was a disappointment as a whole, Terry especially is really fun to play.

Then again, its an easy decision to make when I'm not really playing Smash anymore, anyway.:nifty:

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I didn't mean Reimu herself would sell passes. The selling point is her being a pick that is outside of the current boundaries of DLC fighters, mainly because Touhou is indie, also from a new genre, even being a girl sells passes at this point.
Joker did the same with FP1 while he wasn't hugely popular as a character, he was also kind of niche (a bit like Terry). But he was a good first pick because he was the most out there pick of the 5.
The first pick doesn't really need to sells passes by itself because it can sell passes for every character people think there could be in the pass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom