• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

zferolie

Smash Hero
for those who didn't watch the video, here is how papa genos feel the dlc will play out if KOSMOS is added.

I feel like this could be legit if KOSMOS appears. Reimu and Ryu were in a leak with KOS-MOS, so that makes sense. Crash seems to be a very popular wanted character, and the last 2 still has those costume leaks.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
for those who didn't watch the video, here is how papa genos feel the dlc will play out if KOSMOS is added.

I feel like this could be legit if KOSMOS appears. Reimu and Ryu were in a leak with KOS-MOS, so that makes sense. Crash seems to be a very popular wanted character, and the last 2 still has those costume leaks.
If the VGA leak is real, then we're not getting 5 characters next year.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If the VGA leak is real, then we're not getting 5 characters next year.
Yeah, he kinda seemed to glance over that and put Geno as a bonus. Really, if those leaks are legit and we are getting 4 characters next year, I would take Crash out and make Doomguy the latter E3 reveal. It makes about as much sense if they do have a east pick followed by a west pick again.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
With all that talk about Kos-mos and her making Reimu more likely, I'm almost inclined to check Xenosaga out, if she gets in.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
With all that talk about Kos-mos and her making Reimu more likely, I'm almost inclined to check Xenosaga out, if she gets in.
I know this isn't the place to promote her, but you can check out the stuff she does here:
Allow me to Red Pill you on the sort of stuff she can do in Smash:
And I know what you're thinking... If they can include Bayo stripping for her Final Smash, they sure as hell can censor D-TENERITAS. Or just not include that move at all and use X-BUSTER instead.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
I agree with the idea that there will be only four characters released in 2020 after the fighters pass ends. Counting the fifth fighters pass character, that will make five characters total released in the year, which is the same amount we got this year (counting Piranha Plant). This makes a kind of "Five characters per year" pattern. If we somehow get any more characters after that, it's unreasonable to expect them until 2021.

Last edited:

Soulor

Smash Cadet
I wonder if fighter pass 2 and 3 will have a piranha plant equivalent incentive, though I suppose that can't be the case every time but it'd be nice.

But I was thinking more minor enemies, maybe even... Waddle Dee (Bandana Dee)!

For another how about uh ...Meowth? lol

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
I have to admit I'm way more warm on the idea of KOS-MOS getting in over all the other frontrunners at the moment, I'll definitely be giving Xenosaga a playthrough if the leak's indeed true and she does get in. I've already listened to some of Xenosaga's OST and my god that'd be pretty damn great to hear in Smash too. Helps too if she's actually in it makes Reimu's possible inclusion seem even more feasible. If the Cat leak is true too then I think Kosmos, Ryu and Reimu would be an absolutely solid lineup and would represent Japan pretty damn perfectly.

Also on the topic of the fanbase, I've said for ages now that the fanbase (at least the western one) really shouldn't be taken into account on anything. Does it actually matter if a bunch of people like the series for solely superficial reasons only? It doesn't diminish the fact at all that Touhou is very unique in how much of a legacy it has as well as how much of an effect its popularity has had in Japan. Considering the series is pretty much a one-man operation I think no amount of issues with the fanbase can diminish just how fantastic ZUN's work and achievements are.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I have to admit I'm way more warm on the idea of KOS-MOS getting in over all the other frontrunners at the moment, I'll definitely be giving Xenosaga a playthrough if the leak's indeed true and she does get in. I've already listened to some of Xenosaga's OST and my god that'd be pretty damn great to hear in Smash too. Helps too if she's actually in it makes Reimu's possible inclusion seem even more feasible.

Also on the topic of the fanbase, I've said for ages now that the fanbase (at least the western one) really shouldn't be taken into account on anything. Does it actually matter if a bunch of people like the series for solely superficial reasons only? It doesn't diminish the fact at all that Touhou is very unique in how much of a legacy it has as well as how much of an effect its popularity has had in Japan. Considering the series is pretty much a one-man operation I think no amount of issues with the fanbase can diminish just how fantastic ZUN's work and achievements are.
I'm of the opinion that the other disconfirmed characters (assuming they're out of the running for Fighter #5) can still show up later down the line. Doom Slayer, Dante, Crash, Lloyd, Steve, Frisk, etc. all have a fair shot in the future since their popularity warrants them enough to be included at some point.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
I'm of the opinion that the other disconfirmed characters (assuming they're out of the running for Fighter #5) can still show up later down the line. Doom Slayer, Dante, Crash, Lloyd, Steve, Frisk, etc. all have a fair shot in the future since their popularity warrants them enough to be included at some point.
Honestly as long as Reimu is in they can put in Jonesy Fortnite for all I care. I'm 0 against everyone else getting their picks if Reimu gets in. That said my hopes are the highest for Doomslayer, Kosmos and Ryu since I think all 3 are cool characters, their legacies are great and we'd get some killer music for all of them.

D019

Smash Cadet
Drunk cat 2 proved false

ther is still a bit of debate of whether its real or not by faking metadata. but damn, right after kosmos got a bit of credibility

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
No surprises there, but this and the TGA leak don't necessarily have to be from the same source, unless this somehow confirms that.

Last edited:

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Ah, another slight jab in the gut. Now that we are basically at square one again, I do hope that... well, not sure what I'm hoping for anymore. John soldier guy 117 is a pretty nifty character.

I hope the fake leaker stubs his toe on something. :nifty:

edit: lol, wrote jab accidentally with a p and it was censored.

Last edited:

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Please do not post or spread the guys name or Discord handle for the sake of witch hunting.

Please edit your posts and quotes accordingly.

Even if they did a fake text leak people blindly believed, this does not make bullying ok.

Thank you

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Just asking but how exactly does that prove it's fake?
Person responsible for the Cat Leak claims to be the one who bamboozled everyone (Verge especially) in a convoluted revenge scheme, apparently. Whether or not they're faking being a faker remains to be seen... but the odds of that are painfully small.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
Person responsible for the Cat Leak claims to be the one who bamboozled everyone (Verge especially) in a convoluted revenge scheme, apparently. Whether or not they're faking being a faker remains to be seen... but the odds of that are painfully small.
What the hell, talk about coming out of nowhere. I find that kind of questionable, that sounds almost too cartoony to be real. I have to wonder though if it is all just a jig, if Kosmos is announced at TGA as FP5 would that just make him a lucky guesser?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I doubt the guy has ever spoken to Verge. He likely just posted it for fun and came clean now that KOS-MOS actually seems likely.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
I doubt the guy has ever spoken to Verge. He likely just posted it for fun and came clean now that KOS-MOS actually seems likely.
Well that's a slight bummer, better now than never at least. Like I said before though, 4chan text leaks have never really been reliable anyways, so this doesn't affect my perception on whether or not Reimu's getting in since the doujin leak still hasn't been deconfirmed.

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
I don’t mean to sound preachy, but it’s best not take leaks too seriously unless it’s in hindsight after everything is over or it really has something damning.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Man, all this insider/leaker stuff is getting in way too deep. I hope we do get the reveal at TGA so people can relax.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Imagine we hear nothing until mid-January, were Nintendo would just throw out on twitter that the direct is coming tomorrow. That would not be a good timeframe to visit this board.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Drunk cat being fake had to be expected but is still a bummer. Could have been some nice publicity for Reimu. That being said, some of y'all are getting way too hung up on leaks and rumours. Outside of Hero, no Ultimate DLC character has been leaked until a few days before the announcement. There is more than enough merit for Reimu to be in Smash as far as I'm concerened, we don't need any dumb fake leaks:
>series is crazy popular in Japan and China
>all the rights are held by one man who's open about collaboration, she's as close to free as you can get
>represents a genre that does not have a fighter yet as well as the one that got Sakurai into game development
>huge legacy, has been around for over 20 years and has been consistently getting new games ever since
There are a ton more reasons to add her but those are the biggest ones I could think of right now.

D

Deleted member

Exactly contreras.

We shouldn't be this concerned about leaks, because Reimu does actually have enough stuff to stand on her own as a possible Smash candidate.

I would really suggest to stay positive about her chances, because they do exist.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Hey, there's an indie direct coming up! If only we knew an indie character who had some indie games coming to Switch...

Jokes aside, I do hope we get release dates for AoCF and/or Luna Nights on Switch.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hey, there's an indie direct coming up! If only we knew an indie character who had some indie games coming to Switch...

Jokes aside, I do hope we get release dates for AoCF and/or Luna Nights on Switch.
Wait they just announced an indie direct?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Seems like its nintendo worlds indie live stream, showing both in america and Europe not sure of japan though...

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I can't say I'm quite confident in Touhou's chances in the future. As established, Touhou's legacy doesn't come from the games but everything around it. Representation in Smash is also advertising for the franchises, and everything has an opportunity cost. There are still a ton of games with a lot of legacy and influence that have not made it in yet, and it actually might be in Nintendo's better interests to promote those instead. Not to mention that there are some games that were discounted for the fighter pass entirely that become viable after.

On another note, I just rejoined the Discord and I can't believe how hard people there are doubling down on the cat leak. Whether or not someone can prove it's fake, we shouldn't be putting that much blind faith in it.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I don't really care if the cat leak or the doujin leak is fake or not.

My stance hasn't changed.

If Sakurai is the one choosing all the DLC, then Reimu has no chance.
If Nintendo is actually involved deeply in the selection process, then she has a shot.
But for the post pass. Because I also don't believe Touhou inclusion was their priority.

I do think Sakurai concerns somewhat about character's legacy and influence they made specifically in the gaming world. But I don't think Nintendo bothers that much about that. Business comes first for them of course.
Touhou would not appeal to the West. Touhou's inclusion would be for new markets. China and kids especially girls in Japan. Nintendo is holding official kids tournament for Smash SP for a while now and DLC so far are obviously not for them. So I believe at least one character will be cater to that specific audience.

Nintendo can pick characters more relevant worldwide or other gaming titans.
But as Sakurai said, how fun can they be when they became playable in Smash is the important thing. Being speedy, flashy, and colorful is also a factor. Because visibly pleasing aesthetics could directly tie to fun.
Reimu fits the bill. This is why I think she wouldn't be rejected by Sakurai just because he doesn't have emotional connection with her. If he actually has that, I'll be genuinely surprised tbh.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I can't comment on the Cat Leak given how utterly bizarre this DLC cycle has been the past few weeks.

I feel like Sakurai's mentality would be to give Smash International appeal so people of all ages and all around the world can have someone they want to play as. Reimu would fit the bill on an Indie Japanese rep and while she may not cater to the West despite Touhou's cult status, Touhou is huge in Japan.

And really, I wouldn't be shocked if, depending on how big the post-pass is we get both fan requested characters and unexpected characters like Reimu in back to back.

MindlessMage

Smash Cadet
I've mentioned this fairly frequently in Reimucord. The Switch is coming to China and Touhou has a nigh dominating presence in China. As evidenced by a game convention held recently where Touhou had the second largest venue and was PACKED. Blizzard, Microsoft, and Ubisoft couldn't do much there. Not to mentiom that on top of having an entire venue dedicated to it, it had a day dedicated to it. And so many people at this convention wanted to meet ZUN that they ended up having to use the ESPORTS STADIUM in order for there to be enough space for all the people there.

Also China named a flower after Reimu after so many people there asked for that to happen so like... If Nintendo is taking to the Chinese market and bringing Smash, they're gonna need someone quite appealing...

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
In the end the question revolves around who actually decides on the characters. Is it Sakurai alone, who hands out golden tickets wrapped with chocolate to his favorite developers/publishers to get his dreamroster together or Nintendo itself with the goal to increase sales and get in new customers. Though, most likely its a mixture of both.

For Reimu, there are many arguments for and against her integration and most of them are legit on both sides, which leaves me in a kinda 50/50 stance regarding whether she has a chance or not.

Also China named a flower after Reimu after so many people there asked for that to happen so like... If Nintendo is taking to the Chinese market and bringing Smash, they're gonna need someone quite appealing...
I just imagined the strange image that all the marketing material in China would switch Mario with Reimu, as the central figure on most ads.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I don't really care if the cat leak or the doujin leak is fake or not.

My stance hasn't changed.

If Sakurai is the one choosing all the DLC, then Reimu has no chance.
If Nintendo is actually involved deeply in the selection process, then she has a shot.
But for the post pass. Because I also don't believe Touhou inclusion was their priority.

I do think Sakurai concerns somewhat about character's legacy and influence they made specifically in the gaming world. But I don't think Nintendo bothers that much about that. Business comes first for them of course.
Touhou would not appeal to the West. Touhou's inclusion would be for new markets. China and kids especially girls in Japan. Nintendo is holding official kids tournament for Smash SP for a while now and DLC so far are obviously not for them. So I believe at least one character will be cater to that specific audience.

Nintendo can pick characters more relevant worldwide or other gaming titans.
But as Sakurai said, how fun can they be when they became playable in Smash is the important thing. Being speedy, flashy, and colorful is also a factor. Because visibly pleasing aesthetics could directly tie to fun.
Reimu fits the bill. This is why I think she wouldn't be rejected by Sakurai just because he doesn't have emotional connection with her. If he actually has that, I'll be genuinely surprised tbh.
I would love to know Sakurai's perception of the franchise. Given his clear interest in shmups (regardless of the story about him getting into game dev from one, KI:U and the Smash end credits make this evident enough), he's undoubtedly had some exposure to the series, but I wonder whether he has a positive outlook on it, or is one of those shmup fans who dislike less "pure" ones. Interesting stuff!

I've mentioned this fairly frequently in Reimucord. The Switch is coming to China and Touhou has a nigh dominating presence in China. As evidenced by a game convention held recently where Touhou had the second largest venue and was PACKED. Blizzard, Microsoft, and Ubisoft couldn't do much there. Not to mentiom that on top of having an entire venue dedicated to it, it had a day dedicated to it. And so many people at this convention wanted to meet ZUN that they ended up having to use the ESPORTS STADIUM in order for there to be enough space for all the people there.

The Switch coming to China during the DLC cycle certainly doesn't hurt, but given the evidently huge uncertainties of doing business in China at the whims of a government to whom business is completely beholden, it's likely that Nintendo might not have felt comfortable making appeals to the Chinese audience a major factor in DLC choice. Still, we can hope, since it certainly doesn't hurt Reimu's chances at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom