• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

gavtel

Smash Cadet
Looks like GameXplain didn't include her on the top 100 list, yet they included a ton of filler picks like Diantha from Pokemon X and Y (why even include her, when they have Cynthia further up the list). To add to the salt, they mentioned that Nakoruru has a "nice design", yet Reimu's nowhere to be found, despite the similar design aspects.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Looks like GameXplain didn't include her on the top 100 list, yet they included a ton of filler picks like Diantha from Pokemon X and Y (why even include her, when they have Cynthia further up the list). To add to the salt, they mentioned that Nakoruru has a "nice design", yet Reimu's nowhere to be found, despite the similar design aspects.
Bummer but not that surprising. GameXplain is pretty normie tbh

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Just further evidence that Reimu would get in on the backs of the Asian audience if she ever does make it.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
I highly doubt verge’s claim about Reimu. I understand if people may not think she is fp5 to being with, however, its possible that the doujin rumor is true and Reimu is fp5. I am aware it doesn’t specifically point her to fp5 but since we have it and no character really has the same about of backing. We shouldn’t jump to conclusions that she isn’t fp5 yet just because verge’s insider says they haven’t heard of her as fp5.

Apparently discord is having issues when I posted this, so I figured I’d post my thoughts here.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I highly doubt verge’s claim about Reimu. I understand if people may not think she is fp5 to being with, however, its possible that the doujin rumor is true and Reimu is fp5. I am aware it doesn’t specifically point her to fp5 but since we have it and no character really has the same about of backing. We shouldn’t jump to conclusions that she isn’t fp5 yet just because verge’s insider says they haven’t heard of her as fp5.

Apparently discord is having issues when I posted this, so I figured I’d post my thoughts here.
I never thought she'd be in the first 5 anyways, personally, which is why I was so excited when they announced it'd continue.

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
I can see the Reimu deconfirm being true, but I am a tad bit suspicious about some of the other deconfirms. That’s a lot in one go. I’m still generally leaning towards probably true, but only because it seems incredibly foolish for him to make such a big gambit and make all those deconfirms public before getting more confirmation.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I can see the Reimu deconfirm being true, but I am a tad bit suspicious about some of the other deconfirms. That’s a lot in one go. I’m still generally leaning towards probably true, but only because it seems incredibly foolish for him to make such a big gambit and make all those deconfirms public before getting more confirmation.
Agreed. Even how verge said it at the start seems odd. Afraid to post all that? Seems like there are doubts.

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet

But here’s the thing. A character doesn’t need leaks, rumors, or backing of any sort to be the next playable character. This speculation season should have taught us that Nintendo is quite capable of tightening information control. The next fighter might not have been speculated at all for what we know. In the end, leaks and circumstances don’t mean anything until it actually shows results. Is Reimu still possible for fighter 5? Yes. But there’s still a ton of possibilities that we still do not yet know.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
If I remember, in the interview where that Sakurai had after Hero released, he said that Hero was planned for base game, but Koichi Sugiyama(the composer of DQ) wanted big royalties, so he was dlc instead.
They just implied so never confirmed. If Sugiyama wanted bigger royalities that badly then he would've forced to put Hero in the base roster. DLC is way more cheaper to pay. And DQ music stingy thing is not true at all. The problem lies on the system JASRAC is utilizing.

Last edited:

Tetrus

Smash Rookie
I think it's best to wait until Sabi's final say on recent events. Per their recent tweets, seems like there's potentially a lot to be said. I'd rather not be part of the crowd who believes only in the leaks they want to hear and deny everything else they don't like.

Either way, if Vergeben is to be believed, we may be down, but we're far from out. Let's keep pressing forward and hoping for the best.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I think it's best to wait until Sabi's final say on recent events. Per their recent tweets, seems like there's potentially a lot to be said. I'd rather not be part of the crowd who believes only in the leaks they want to hear and deny everything else they don't like.

Either way, if Vergeben is to be believed, we may be down, but we're far from out. Let's keep pressing forward and hoping for the best.
If Verge is wrong about anything, all signs point to it being on the Namco side of things, particularly KOS-MOS.

Consider this Reimu thread exclusive speculation from me. A lot of speculation from me stems upon reading between the lines. It's done me well for the most part. All the weirdness and point of contentions between Sabi and Verge right now really seems to be hovering over a "Namco rep". If that's the case, then we are probably looking at a resurgence of the Cat leak. I do not know what Verge's source heard the character is, but it may either not be fighter 5 or they have grossly misinterpreted something (KOS-MOS being a Monolith rep, for example, rather than Namco or Nintendo). As stated before, I've been of the notion that Reimu was not FP5 since I've been on the Post pass train since that was announced, even if I would have preferred her to be FP5.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
If Verge is wrong about anything, all signs point to it being on the Namco side of things, particularly KOS-MOS.

Consider this Reimu thread exclusive speculation from me. A lot of speculation from me stems upon reading between the lines. It's done me well for the most part. All the weirdness and point of contentions between Sabi and Verge right now really seems to be hovering over a "Namco rep". If that's the case, then we are probably looking at a resurgence of the Cat leak. I do not know what Verge's source heard the character is, but it may either not be fighter 5 or they have grossly misinterpreted something (KOS-MOS being a Monolith rep, for example, rather than Namco or Nintendo). As stated before, I've been of the notion that Reimu was not FP5 since I've been on the Post pass train since that was announced, even if I would have preferred her to be FP5.
As I pointed out before, Kosmos fits in ridiculously well in a marketing sense and from Sakurai’s point of view. Since they have a costume for Xenoblade 2 fans and only make it purchasable within the 25$ pass, they have to appeal to them at some point.

Last edited:

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
I hadn't even considered it before but if Kosmos did get in, wasn't there like one or two leaks that said Reimu was going to follow after since she was still in development?

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I hadn't even considered it before but if Kosmos did get in, wasn't there like one or two leaks that said Reimu was going to follow after since she was still in development?
There is the cat leak and I don’t think there are any other leaks that talk about it.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The Cat leak.

This is what makes everything so interesting right now. Sabi's main source seems to be against the notion of Namco being ruled out. To add to that, the VGA leak has had a few things line up with it. KH3's DLC trailer was leaked with the release date and Horizon is being heavily rumored to get a PC port. Both happened after that post. So really, If KOS-MOS is in, I'd really say that things are looking good for Reimu and Hayabusa.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
The Cat leak.

This is what makes everything so interesting right now. Sabi's main source seems to be against the notion of Namco being ruled out. To add to that, the VGA leak has had a few things line up with it. KH3's DLC trailer was leaked with the release date and Horizon is being heavily rumored to get a PC port. Both happened after that post. So really, If KOS-MOS is in, I'd really say that things are looking good for Reimu and Hayabusa.
I'm very sceptical with trusting 4chan text leaks at this point, but if that TGA one actually is legit (which I god damn hope, an SMT V trailer after all this time? P L E A S E) then the cat leak might actually have something to it. Was Kosmos a popular speculation candidate during that time?

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I'm very sceptical with trusting 4chan text leaks at this point, but if that TGA one actually is legit (which I god damn hope, an SMT V trailer after all this time? P L E A S E) then the cat leak might actually have something to it. Was Kosmos a popular speculation candidate during that time?
Nah. No one thought Kosmos was possible.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Nah. No one thought Kosmos was possible.
I wouldn't say that. She's the absolute definition of a Dark Horse Candidate. She's not a nobody in the Smash Speculation world, but there were definitely far more support for other Namco reps at the time.

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
Drunk Cat does not have anything going for it until fighter 5 is revealed, where it either becomes more convincing or is shot down. It’s too early to put any stock in it.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Drunk Cat does not have anything going for it until fighter 5 is revealed, where it either becomes more convincing or is shot down. It’s too early to put any stock in it.
Yup. Basically, if KOS-MOS is FP5, drunk cat begins to look possible, but is not confirmed. Right now, it's just another likely fake 4chan text leak.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
For me, it's more of a transitive property thing. The more interesting leak at the moment is the VGA leak with KOS-MOS, since it does have things going for it. IF that is true, then Cat Leak is back on the table. We're in an interesting situation right now where Sabi and Verge are in disagreement over what seems to be a Bamco rep. Cat Leak is an after thought at the moment, and more of a future prospects sort of thing.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
What an interesting turn of events. I was ready to resign but I'll stick around and see if Kos-mos is revealed at TGA. If that happens then consider me back on the ride for the second pass for sure.

I'm also kind of glad a lot of other more niche/lesser-known series have gained some traction thanks to the speculation cycle, I was able to get a couple of people into Touhou thanks to everything revolving Reimu's possible inclusion and now I'm looking into playing Xenosaga and taking a look at Mischief Makers myself.

Brazillian Cara

Smash Cadet
So Vergeben put out an update regarding the latest mass deconfirmations, and the list is slightly smaller now. Relevant details to this thread:
-Bandai-Namco is still out, Monolith Soft is still unmentioned.
-"ZUN / Team Shanghai Alice's Touhou Project characters" was replaced by just "Reimu Hakurei".

We should still take this all with a grain of salt (especially after recent developments regarding leakers), but it's still interesting. Let's just hope he's not being more specific about Reimu due to her being a Mii Costume.
...unless it means Marisa stole the precious invitation.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
I mean, of course! It all makes sense now. It was already determined that Marisa with her booty bomb is the new fighter.

zferolie

Smash Hero
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Sabi is making their comments. Does not support vergeben at all. So we have 2 leakers saying different stuff.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Honestly? I think I would prefer Marisa. She is my favorite protag, both personality wise and in AoCF. Plus, I like her themes better. And I know there is a witch on the roster already, but I don't need to tell anyone Bayo and Marisa couldn't be more different (well, except perhaps their popularity with the ladies). I guess when it comes down to it, I'd rather play as Marisa.

I'm still very much on team Reimu, but if I ever had to choose between the two it's the witch's life for me, da-ze~

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
In light of Verge's recent correction, I still stand by my speculation I posted previously

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Admittedly, Reimu does feel like the kind of character to be in Post-Pass, depending on how big the pass is. It makes sense if she's post-pass anyways and would help set the mood of what to expect, of course.

Honestly better late than never.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Marisa would be nifty and also my prefered choice but that is something that just won't come true. Arguing about Reimu's inclusion is already pushing it.

Regarding the slew of deconfirms, I'm starting to get fed up with it. Thankfully, the VGA aren't to far off now, though we might not see anyhting Smash related there. So I'll just continue sittting here in my room with sinister contempt.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Honestly? I think I would prefer Marisa. She is my favorite protag, both personality wise and in AoCF. Plus, I like her themes better. And I know there is a witch on the roster already, but I don't need to tell anyone Bayo and Marisa couldn't be more different (well, except perhaps their popularity with the ladies). I guess when it comes down to it, I'd rather play as Marisa.

I'm still very much on team Reimu, but if I ever had to choose between the two it's the witch's life for me, da-ze~
I'm a big Marisa partisan, but it definitely would have to be Reimu. With that said, Marisa truly is just as important as her, so in an ideal world they'd be a tag, but she should have a Final Smash, taunt, or winscreen cameo at the very least.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I'm a big Marisa partisan, but it definitely would have to be Reimu. With that said, Marisa truly is just as important as her, so in an ideal world they'd be a tag, but she should have a Final Smash, taunt, or winscreen cameo at the very least.
Don't get me wrong, I realize Reimu is the more likely of the two, I made that conceit a long time ago. I still like Reimu, I think she could bring and interesting moveset to smash, and ultimately what I want is recognition of Touhou.

But I still have to be honest about how I feel. And I want Marisa in smash that much more. And who knows, it isn't over until it's over.

I think I'll leave it there, partly because I can't think of anything else to say, and partly because I try not so say more on Smashboards than when I think I have something important to add to conversation.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Don't get me wrong, I realize Reimu is the more likely of the two, I made that conceit a long time ago. I still like Reimu, I think she could bring and interesting moveset to smash, and ultimately what I want is recognition of Touhou.

But I still have to be honest about how I feel. And I want Marisa in smash that much more. And who knows, it isn't over until it's over.

I think I'll leave it there, partly because I can't think of anything else to say, and partly because I try not so say more on Smashboards than when I think I have something important to add to conversation.
Fair! Touhou is certainly in a fairly unique place where it has two co-protagonists who always appear in everything together. I don't think there's many other long-running series which you can say that for.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Fair! Touhou is certainly in a fairly unique place where it has two co-protagonists who always appear in everything together. I don't think there's many other long-running series which you can say that for.
They could always add an echo alt into Reimu, like Hero and Olimar.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
They could always add an echo alt into Reimu, like Hero and Olimar.
I'm not so sure. Personally, I think you can stretch Reimu and Marisa to be close enough where you can get away with a Ryu-Ken or Pit-Dark Pit level echo, where they're close but some normals and specials are different, but doing so would probably restrict their overall design to be more simplistic and rob each of potential uniqueness. Having them be full on costumes, with no differences in animation, is a bridge too far.

And my view is pretty radical I think; most people I've encountered here and elsewhere think calling Reimu and Marisa close enough to be echo material is sacrilegious.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
We've had this discussion a while ago but, with AoCF being released on the Switch, I could see the possession mechanic being implemented into Smash, in which case we would get 2 characters in one slot. Kinda like Pokemon trainer and the 3 different Pokemon.

Given, it doesn't have to be Marisa (I favor her as the potential partner), as some people brought up Yukari as Reimu's main partner, due to her presence in AoCF's story, the chance for a duo is there.

On the topic of Echo: I'm clearly in the "please don't" camp. Marisa and Reimu are so different that I can't see them work as echos without making huge sacrifices to their unique abilities. They would have to be made way to generic because their trademark moves just don't work for each other. It would be a waste, in my opinion, to dumb down one characters uniqueness just to get another one in. Especially if a multi-character is possible.

Dextructor28

Smash Rookie
Reimu leak finally killed? Oh boi time to go cry on a corner until post-pass chars starts releasing

For real, I still see a lot of possibilities for Reimu in Smash, i hope she comes as post-pass

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
We've had this discussion a while ago but, with AoCF being released on the Switch, I could see the possession mechanic being implemented into Smash, in which case we would get 2 characters in one slot. Kinda like Pokemon trainer and the 3 different Pokemon.

Given, it doesn't have to be Marisa (I favor her as the potential partner), as some people brought up Yukari as Reimu's main partner, due to her presence in AoCF's story, the chance for a duo is there.

On the topic of Echo: I'm clearly in the "please don't" camp. Marisa and Reimu are so different that I can't see them work as echos without making huge sacrifices to their unique abilities. They would have to be made way to generic because their trademark moves just don't work for each other. It would be a waste, in my opinion, to dumb down one characters uniqueness just to get another one in. Especially if a multi-character is possible.
While it makes sense with AoCF as context, it would be weird for that to be a Touhou character's gimmick; perhaps it should be one of a few? On top of that, smash has always found it hard to balance transforming characters: too often, one is clearly better/best. Their removal from 4 may have been motivate by technical limitations, but that allowed Sakurai to make Zelda, Sheik, Samus, and ZSS more well rounded characters without extra weaknesses to encourage switching. Pokemon Trainer's return barely works in this regard, as it took major overhaul to the switching mechanic as a whole, and frankly is ingrained more deeply into the character to where it needed to work. And even then, people still argue that some of the pokemon are better than others. What I'm getting at is I believe Sakurai is predisposed to be wary of transforming characters for balance reasons, on top of the development strain of developing a two-in-one fighter on a dlc staff.

IMO, to make transforming an appealing enough mechanic you have to go beyond giving each character compatible strengths (itself a questionable balancing method) but also give switching itself some benefit. Making it essentially another airdodge is a start, but maybe you'd take a page from AoCF and give it healing properties as well.

Top Bottom