• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Think of it as risk and reward. They know a leaker somehow gets their hands on their fighters before release. They definitely don’t want it happening with the fifth fighter in the pass when the trust of big companies are in the line. What they know is that some Nintendo/Namco employees are responsible for the leaks. Like a good fisherman, they have to give them convincing bait they want. After all, they don’t want any fighter besides fighter #5.
Just stop, I've already seen you contradicting yourself in other threads. They're not going to use a character they're planning to add as leakbait, anyway, and I doubt Reimu is leakbait. Looks like you're just two-faced, anyway.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Just stop, I've already seen you contradicting yourself in other threads. They're not going to use a character they're planning to add as leakbait, anyway, and I doubt Reimu is leakbait. Looks like you're just two-faced, though.
Why not? It doesn’t have a real affect on her development in the slightest. If the leaker is going to leak ****, they’re going to do it from the inside of the company. It’s like you think leaks are Nintendo’s way of announcing their fighters when they hate them. Leak baiting isn’t some high class stunt or something. It’s just misinformation inside the company to prevent accurate leaks from spreading out.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Why not? It doesn’t have a real affect on her development in the slightest. If the leaker is going to leak ****, they’re going to do it from the inside of the company. It’s like you think leaks are Nintendo’s way of announcing their fighters when they hate them.
Okay, this is going to be the last thing I'll say to you:

-I clearly don't think that; of course they hate them, but why would they use a character that's going to be in the game as leakbait? They don't want the real deal getting out their, even if the order is wrong, which is why leakbait is a thing in the first place, to catch leakers without spilling anything close to the real info
-So far, all characters that have been leakbait (stuff leakers have heard) haven't appeared as fighters or the leaker was told "they're not in" by their sources
-You have nothing to base her being leakbait on
-You're already telling people in other threads that she will be fighter 5; you're good at contradicting yourself. It seems you don't actually give a frick.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Okay, this is going to be the last thing I'll say to you:

-I clearly don't think that; of course they hate them, but why would they use a character that's going to be in the game as leakbait? They don't want the real deal getting out their, even if the order is wrong, which is why leakbait is a thing in the first place, to catch leakers without spilling anything close to the real info
-So far, all characters that have leakbait haven't appeared as fighters or the leaker was told "they're not in" by their sources
-You have nothing to base her being leakbait on
-You're already telling people in other threads that she will be fighter 5; you're good at contradicting yourself
I’m saying that “fighter 5” is Reimu because it fits in for characters with barely any big companies and she hasn’t been screwed over by any of the leaker’s claims. It’s not a contradiction when I’m just doubting the leakers have the fifth fighter as they claim.

Do you remember Hero? He was leaked way before Joker (a character who didn’t even have a trace on him). What if that’s happening again with Reimu and another fighter?

Soulor

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone. Been lurking here for a very long time. Thought I'd finally make an account and post for once.
Also, I do support Reimu in Smash! Heck, Marisa and Youmu as Mii costumes, maybe even an assist trophy, would be awesome as well!

If something like this has been said already I apologise! I just wanna say that as much as Touhou has been on the decline in popularity/relevancy in the world, in Japan it is still rather loved and cherished. Aside from the mainline games, fan games, official manga, music, art, crossovers, merchandise and whatever else, the one thing I love the most, and what got me into Touhou, are the many Youtube channels that feature familiar Touhou characters in their videos.

If I may, I'd like to share the very first video, of the kind of videos I am talking about, that started it all for me!

A few years ago, I really wanted to watch people play Mario Party 2, and the english speaking "group of friends" videos just didn't do it for me, so I gave this video a shot and loved it. With that my fondness for Yukkuri also sprung and I began watching more and more of these types of videos, with there being a HUGE variety of content like this and thus introducing me to Touhou as well! This video here is a bit old, but there is still lots of content like this being made to this day with many different things, not just games!

Here's an extra one that I like, the YouTuber who makes these put so much work into these and I love it, it's also more recent. They make scary stories and they do a "Let's Play" of Resident Evil, lol. Use auto translate to English if you want!

Mm, for the heck of it here's from another YouTuber. This one is just them going on about YouTube's current situation and changes coming to YouTube in the near future. It's still an interesting watch I suppose.

Don't wanna make this post TOO long, so that's all for now! Take it easy!

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Hello everyone. Been lurking here for a very long time. Thought I'd finally make an account and post for once.
Also, I do support Reimu in Smash! Heck, Marisa and Youmu as Mii costumes, maybe even an assist trophy, would be awesome as well!

If something like this has been said already I apologise! I just wanna say that as much as Touhou has been on the decline in popularity/relevancy in the world, in Japan it is still rather loved and cherished. Aside from the mainline games, fan games, official manga, music, art, crossovers, merchandise and whatever else, the one thing I love the most, and what got me into Touhou, are the many Youtube channels that feature familiar Touhou characters in their videos.

If I may, I'd like to share the very first video, of the kind of videos I am talking about, that started it all for me!

A few years ago, I really wanted to watch people play Mario Party 2, and the english speaking "group of friends" videos just didn't do it for me, so I gave this video a shot and loved it. With that my fondness for Yukkuri also sprung and I began watching more and more of these types of videos, with there being a HUGE variety of content like this and thus introducing me to Touhou as well! This video here is a bit old, but there is still lots of content like this being made to this day with many different things, not just games!

Here's an extra one that I like, the YouTuber who makes these put so much work into these and I love it, it's also more recent. They make scary stories and they do a "Let's Play" of Resident Evil, lol. Use auto translate to English if you want!

Pretty sure it's videos like that that are making Touhou popular with kids in Japan.

Dextructor28

Smash Rookie
Hey I've been lurking here for a while and finally made an account. Add me to the supporter list

I hope if Reimu comes Patchy appears in some way lel

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace

Mm, for the heck of it here's from another YouTuber. This one is just them going on about YouTube's current situation and changes coming to YouTube in the near future. It's still an interesting watch I suppose.

Yes, Yukkuri videos cannot be underestimated.
They really have become so prevalent among kids in Japan.
This is my main reason why I'm thinking Touhou representation is coming in some form.
Because there is no way Nintendo of Japan not recognizing this trend,
Learning with Nitori Sensei series.
From elementary mathematics such as The Pythagorean Theorem or Linear Function to more complex studies for highschoolers like Differential Calculus or Numerical Sequence.

Like physics, heat, electricity, atoms etc.

History. Mesopotamia, The Reformation, Cold War.

Misc. Dangerous species, money laundering, C programming, history of Dragon Quest, and of course English.
You can pretty much find anything major with Yukkuri if you just type in words.

Last edited:

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Ah yes, the beloved Yukkuri headblobs... always found them kinda creepy and uncanny. Might be because my first contact was unfortunate fanart but oh well, lets not delve into that.

Yukkuri's are popluar for quite some time now, aren't they? Or is the popularity for children a thing that came up only recently?

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Ah yes, the beloved Yukkuri headblobs... always found them kinda creepy and uncanny. Might be because my first contact was unfortunate fanart but oh well, lets not delve into that.

Yukkuri's are popluar for quite some time now, aren't they? Or is the popularity for children a thing that came up only recently?
They give me ptsd of the creepy YouTube “kid” stuff.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace

Yukkuri videos are almost a decade old. People in early Nico Nico days are in their 20s now but Yukkuri managed to gain popularity again with young children thanks to YouTube and Minecraft so the trend is going like 5 years.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Hey I've been lurking here for a while and finally made an account. Add me to the supporter list

I hope if Reimu comes Patchy appears in some way lel
All of the SDM gang would certainly have strong chances of being cameos on whichever stage they might choose.

Soulor

Smash Cadet
Aha! I know and am subscribed to many of those channels! Indeed a very wide variety of content!

I'll include this Yukkuri channel though, be warned as it revolves around the strange but endearing and sometimes graphic "creature" side of the Yukkuri. However, this video in particular is very sweet.

Other than that, there's only 2 gaming Touhou related channels I know that are quite popular and are usually on trending in JP. One with over 900k subscribers and with Yukkuri playing current games with new videos every day. The other much less subscribers, more MMD styled stills, playing classic games and a video every Friday (new video out now, gonna watch once I get home!) I'll share those channels another time though, lol.

Also, I remember when there was talk about Fumo plush in this thread. There are Yukkuri Plush too, here's a pic with the different sizes! Shame there's no Youmu Yukkuri plush!

I actually own the smallest and medium one's of both Reimu and Marisa. Those large ones, about the size of pillows, are expensive! Sometimes they are very difficult to find as well! I also own some keychains, lol.

Last edited:

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
The remix is the perfect blend of the original track with some added rhythm/instrumentation. I like remixes like that because it gives players an accurate idea of what Touhou music is like while still being fresh/not just rips

Rikarte

Smash Ace
There was a problem fetching the tweet
You guys have probably seen it already but if this means what I think it does we could be in for a wild ride sooner or later.
I don't think the "Reimu can't get revealed at a western event"-argument ever held any ground to begin with because I seriously doubt Nintendo picked the DLC fighters based on when and where to announce them but this could bury it for good.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
You guys have probably seen it already but if this means what I think it does we could be in for a wild ride sooner or later.
I don't think the "Reimu can't get revealed at a western event"-argument ever held any ground to begin with because I seriously doubt Nintendo picked the DLC fighters based on when and where to announce them but this could bury it for good.
I totaly agree with the "Reimu can't be revealed at a western event" being stupid. The dlc was decided in mid 2018-or at least I think it was when Sakurai tweeted that it was decided-, and Joker's reveal was a last minute thing. There's no reason to believe that a reveal at TGA means anything.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Hmmm, interesting. What do you think it means?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Havent watched this yet but i will assume reimu is on this or in the next part

ElenoreBR

Smash Rookie
Honestly, i think there is some merit to that argument, it could be just coincidence but i can see that logic of "certain characters can only be revealed under certain circumstances" based on how some of the reveals for the FP went:

Hero and Banjo being a simultaneous reveal - it may have been that they were just ready to ge shown at the same time, but it's hard for me to pass it off as coincidence when Hero is a character highly popular in Japan but not so much in America and Banjo is the exact opposite of that. I get the feeling it was a calculated move to not alienate any side of the fanbase, because had any of them been revealed alone either the eastern or western fanbase would've probably been very upset.

Post fighter pass characters being revealed alongside Terry - don't get me wrong, as someone who loves traditional fighting games i was very excited about Terry's inclusion, but it's undeniable that there were a lot of people unhappy with him. It's probably no coincidence that they made a point to say "could there only be only one left?", because a "nobody" like Terry getting a spot when people thought there were only two characters left, with many highly requested fan favorites still missing, would've been a lot more upsetting for everyone without that reassurance that their favorite still had a shot.

I was thinking that the only shot Reimu had for a TGA reveal was if it was a double reveal like Hero/Banjo, but if we really aren't getting a reveal there and all of those deconfirmations are correct... then yeah, i think her chances for FP5 are pretty good.

Also, first time here, add me to the supporter list as well!

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Honestly, i think there is some merit to that argument, it could be just coincidence but i can see that logic of "certain characters can only be revealed under certain circumstances" based on how some of the reveals for the FP went:

Hero and Banjo being a simultaneous reveal - it may have been that they were just ready to ge shown at the same time, but it's hard for me to pass it off as coincidence when Hero is a character highly popular in Japan but not so much in America and Banjo is the exact opposite of that. I get the feeling it was a calculated move to not alienate any side of the fanbase, because had any of them been revealed alone either the eastern or western fanbase would've probably been very upset.

Post fighter pass characters being revealed alongside Terry - don't get me wrong, as someone who loves traditional fighting games i was very excited about Terry's inclusion, but it's undeniable that there were a lot of people unhappy with him. It's probably no coincidence that they made a point to say "could there only be only one left?", because a "nobody" like Terry getting a spot when people thought there were only two characters left, with many highly requested fan favorites still missing, would've been a lot more upsetting for everyone without that reassurance that their favorite still had a shot.

I was thinking that the only shot Reimu had for a TGA reveal was if it was a double reveal like Hero/Banjo, but if we really aren't getting a reveal there and all of those deconfirmations are correct... then yeah, i think her chances for FP5 are pretty good.

Also, first time here, add me to the supporter list as well!
Not using the TGA because the character isn’t “hype enough” is disrespectful. The creator of the character, programmers, musicians, and artist have put in the effort to make them and the franchise. Siding them out, especially when they are the last revealed fighter, cannot be the way this pass ends. Doing so makes companies less willing to come into smash in fear of this bull****.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
No Smash at TGA or no Megaman Legends 3
Ahhh, I see. Yeah, it definitely could happen! There'll have to be some kind of announcement in the next couple of weeks, but there's certainly no reason that it must be at TGA.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Ahhh, I see. Yeah, it definitely could happen! There'll have to be some kind of announcement in the next couple of weeks, but there's certainly no reason that it must be at TGA.
Welp, turns out the Tweet was a misunderstanding and didn't actually mean anything. Still wouldn't be surprised if Smash doesn't show up at the VGA.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
I just hope that Nintendo isn't waiting til January.

Maybe its just that we won't see a sequel to Pokemon Dash? :nifty:

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I can kinda argue that people will cheer for a new Smash character regardless of who it is. People think the audience will be silent if someone like Reimu would be shown at TGAs, hypothetically speaking but I feel like people will be excited even if they don't know the character simply because of the Smash logo popping up.

At least, that's what I think.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
I can kinda argue that people will cheer for a new Smash character regardless of who it is. People think the audience will be silent if someone like Reimu would be shown at TGAs, hypothetically speaking but I feel like people will be excited even if they don't know the character simply because of the Smash logo popping up.

They'll have people holding shields up with "now clap" and paid people in the audience that fake cheer and scream like every "good" event has. :p

Rikarte

Smash Ace

This reminds me at the time when the Erdrick rumours popped up. For months, people kept telling themselves that fans would be furious about this guy's reveal, claiming the trailer would get ratio'd, etc. And look what happened. He was received pretty well in the end... okay, until we got concrete information regarding his gameplay, but that's a different story.
In reality, most fans are gonna be happy with any character, regardless of who it might be.
I just hope that Nintendo isn't waiting til January.

Maybe its just that we won't see a sequel to Pokemon Dash? :nifty:
Welllll, if they wait until January... maybe we could expect some sort of double reveal? :nifty:

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
That’s not how I remember it. I remember people being furious as hell that Hero supposedly “stole” Banjo’s spot. At least until Banjo came on screen. And even then, there was still a lot of toxicity against Hero. Actually, I think people didn’t really mellow out until people were able to play him and see how unique he was. Given that fighter 5 is the end of the pass, I think people will be emotionally invested.

But I still don’t think that TGA dictates Nintendo’s choice for fighter 5, nor do I think Nintendo should let that happen.

Last edited:

Soulor

Smash Cadet
No Smash at TGA sounds reasonable. Was just a one time thing with Joker, who was also the flavor of the year with P5 being real popular. I mean just because it happened once doesn't mean it'll happen every year, If the next passes take all year to release anyways which they probably will.

So perhaps there's a direct this month or direct early January. Or is there anything else video game related that's also a big event of sorts happening soon?

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
That’s not how I remember it. I remember people being furious as hell that Hero supposedly “stole” Banjo’s spot. At least until Banjo came on screen. And even then, there was still a lot of toxicity against Hero. Actually, I think people didn’t really mellow out until people were able to play him and see how unique he was. Given that fighter 5 is the end of the pass, I think people will be emotionally invested.

But I still don’t think that TGA dictates Nintendo’s choice for fighter 5, nor do I think Nintendo should let that happen.
I mean, the less known a character is the more backlash he will get. Its only natural. Reimu would get a lot of hate, not only from disappointed fans but also those who hate everything closely anime-related unconditionally. Though, this would only apply to the west. Pretty sure the majority of Japan would be hyped as heck.
One thing to keep in mind though is that this toxic spewing vocal group is just a minority that loses interest by the time a week has passed.

And no, Nintendo doesn't make their choices dependend on the fans and is mostly doing "their" thing.

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, at first I thought Reimu would probably come as post-pass, but I've been opening up to the idea of her being FP5-- she could have been chosen on her huge legacy alone, even if there isn't much "western appeal" or something of the like, on top of having lots of potential of being a fun fighter. Though of course, if not now, I'm hoping for later.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I mean, the less known a character is the more backlash he will get. Its only natural. Reimu would get a lot of hate, not only from disappointed fans but also those who hate everything closely anime-related unconditionally. Though, this would only apply to the west. Pretty sure the majority of Japan would be hyped as heck.
One thing to keep in mind though is that this toxic spewing vocal group is just a minority that loses interest by the time a week has passed.

And no, Nintendo doesn't make their choices dependend on the fans and is mostly doing "their" thing.
Agreed there.

Sometimes, I feel like the internet houses the vocal minorities of all fanbases. Every single member of them. I mean, they wouldn't possibly let their vitriolic views on something shine if you see them in real life, but once they're on a computer, they just channel the venom in their mouths into their fingers and start typing away.

But yes, people will be a little bummed out about Reimu should she be announced. But people should remember what Sakurai said: it's important if the character is fun to play as, not just recognizable. Smash Ultimate ultimately (Ha!) upholds this with the Belmonts, K. Rool, Isabelle, Hero, Banjo and Terry. Is Reimu recognizable in the West? No. Would she be fun to play as? ABSOLUTELY.

Last edited:

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Agreed there.

Sometimes, I feel like the internet houses the vocal minorities of all fanbases. Every single member of them. I mean, they wouldn't possibly let their vitriolic views on something shine if you see them in real life, but once they're on a computer, they just channel the venom in their mouths into their fingers and start typing away.
I mean, the internet does house the vocal minorities of all fanbases. It litereally is the place to get your opinion out in the open without any consequences as you can hide behind your username. You can even make a new account if you don't want to tarnish your existing username with controversial statements.
It's proven that people change when they can hide behind a mask and most of the time that change is for the worse.

....Would she be fun to play as? ABSOLUTELY.
Maybe not fun to play against her, if she ends up more projectile heavy than young link. :p

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
The internet aren't really the best at expressing the opinions of the majority. At the live event I was at for the direct revealing Hero and Banjo people were hype for Hero thanks to the trailer alone, and even the people who weren't so hot on him were still very impressed by the 2nd part showing the other protags from DQ would be playable as alt costumes too. As long as the trailer's hype or memorable I can see people warming up to a character a ton even if they don't necessarily know them. It happened to me with Terry, I wasn't too warm on SNK getting a rep until I saw the trailer and just how much love went into referencing a lot of SNK's works with it. It not only sold me on Terry but got me interested in finally checking out Fatal Fury and King of Fighters too.

also Sabi seems like they tend to jump the gun on a lot of things recently, I'm pretty sure we'll be getting a reveal at the Game Awards since that seems like a very opportune place to have it.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I still think Capcom is rather likely - sorry this post was an accident I didn't mean to be a case of "Hit Enter Too Soon"

anyways, I'd be willing to suspect Reimu's best chances are easily after the fighter's pass concludes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom