• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Sonic have been faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamas11

Smash Cadet
Sometimes when I'm playing as him, it just feels like Sonic speed still isn't fast enough and is still easy to see him coming at you. I believe that he should have had twice the running speed that he has now.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I want him to be faster. It'd be awesome.

Everyone else would be what, doubly too slow?

That means I'd get to side-taunt twice as much.

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
Well, it certainly would not make him overpowered when he got some faster. And it certainly would be fun.

But yeah, now he is quite fast too so I do not complain. :-)

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Of course he should have been faster. I was disappointed when I found out he couldn't run on water and his final smash didn't last 50 seconds.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Of course he should have been faster. I was disappointed when I found out he couldn't run on water and his final smash didn't last 50 seconds.
lmao i tried the water thing too.

i personally think he should have had this sound effect playing when he falls in water:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn4-auF2MQs

really though, it'd be nice if his airspeed was faster.

I'd be fine with his slower aerial acceleration (it's horrible btw, which is why people say that he's "slow in the air") if his top speed in the air was faster.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I read on the Falcon boards that Sonic only runs 45mph in game, while Falcon runs 27mph or something.
:\
Ground speed I don't care. It's his slow attacks that need speeding up.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
45mph? Ha, then that means Sonic has been holding back this whole time.

Sonic can easily top speeds of 400mph without power-ups. It's doubled with the speed shoe, and don't even ask about Super Sonic.

So technically, Sonic should be the best character in the game. Just as I thought.

And as for the question at hand: Yes.

phosphorus

Smash Cadet
I wish his horizontal air speed was faster. And I also wish his Dair was more like the "stomp" (I think this move's real name has yet to be revealed), seen in this trailer right after the decent from the clock tower (That is, a lagless disjointed stall then fall). And that the Sonic 2 Super Sonic music would play while he's transformed.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
yesterday i said that the only way they can make up for him being so slow in this game, is if they give him a move where if he runs fast enough, he creates a sonic boom just by breaking the sound barrier while running and make that inflict high damage and just blow everyone near him off the screen.

... yes he is way too slow, its easy to see him coming at you, he should be about 35% faster

R4ZE

Smash Ace
sonic does move.... ALMOST as fast as he does in the sega games.

but if we r talking about the anime... omg no way... sonic outran a car that was going like.. mach 1 or somthing... without any kinda help... infact i think he did it backwards? lol

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
sonic does move.... ALMOST as fast as he does in the sega games.
No blast processing.

but if we r talking about the anime... omg no way... sonic outran a car that was going like.. mach 1 or somthing... without any kinda help... infact i think he did it backwards? lol
"The S-Team, ey? The S must stand for slow motion."

Sonic can do a Sonic Boom on his own two feet in the cartoons.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
EVERYONE should have been faster. I mean as far as core movement speed. Relative to the rest of the cast Sonic is fast enough, it's just that everyone is so damned slow.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
EVERYONE should have been faster. I mean as far as core movement speed. Relative to the rest of the cast Sonic is fast enough, it's just that everyone is so damned slow.
I anti-agree. Everyone else is quick enough(except ganon -_-). Sonic's Spincharge shoudl definitely be faster.

The one thing I really really wish Sonic had moveset wise(not priority range blah), is a way to go from an SDR right into a run, and viceversa like he could in so many of his games. Not sure how useful it would be, but nevertheless.

TL?

Smash Ace
OMG Sonic shuld be way fastur and snake shud aslo b heavier and meat knight shud haves less attaking lag.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
OMG Sonic shuld be way fastur and snake shud aslo b heavier and meat knight shud haves less attaking lag.
Lol, meat knight.
Anyways, Sonic might've actually been more balanced if he was faster, snake and MK, not so much.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
yesterday i said that the only way they can make up for him being so slow in this game, is if they give him a move where if he runs fast enough, he creates a sonic boom just by breaking the sound barrier while running and make that inflict high damage and just blow everyone near him off the screen.
It's funny you say that cuz a while ago I was thinking how sweet it would be if he could do a dash attack or spin dashes without losing speed. Or at least make his attacks faster...I mean c'mon.

Yeah, he should so run on water...I was really disappointed that he couldn't run up walls either. I **** bricks whenever he did that in the cartoons.

If Sonic ran his original speed in the game and ran any faster, he'd probably break some bones when he tried to stop.

But I don't really think he has to be faster. It would be fun to control, but it would make every other character... become no match.
Sonic plays by his own rules, the laws of physics and reality mean nothing to him.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Yeah, he should so run on water...I was really disappointed that he couldn't run up walls either. I **** bricks whenever he did that in the cartoons.
He does run on walls, kind of. Dash into a piece of the stage (temple) and Sonic wont collide with it but run on it and flip himself around.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
yeah he's WAAAY TOO SLOOWW!! (SARCASM) LOL but yeah they should've trashed one of his spin dash specials for a counter that makes him say "YOUR TOO SLOW" and when they hit you you counter them lucario style or something similar lol but nah seriously they should have made his attack speed much faster

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Sonic is far too slow. The only thing he has that's actually fast is his max run speed. His acceleration is actually fairly poor, meaning it's tough to take advantage of his run speed. Additionally, his air speed, jumping speed, and attack speed are also low.

He feels a lot like he does in the Sega games, which is cool. Except for the part where it means he sucks.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
yeah he's WAAAY TOO SLOOWW!! (SARCASM) LOL but yeah they should've trashed one of his spin dash specials for a counter that makes him say "YOUR TOO SLOW" and when they hit you you counter them lucario style or something similar lol but nah seriously they should have made his attack speed much faster
OMG, what if one of his specials looked just like his side-taunt, but when hit, he hits back like Ike or Marth or Lucario's counters.

Mindgamez.

samper

Smash Cadet
I don't think his movement speed needs a huge buff, but his attack speed sure does because his attacks (especially smashes) are way too slow for the reach/damage/knockback they give (but then again, I've always hated his moveset too). I always thought he'd have the 2nd or 3rd fastest attack speed in the game (something along the lines of Fox's attack speed).

Boxob

Smash Champion
I think more weight and slightly more air movement speed would really balance him out. Those are my only real complaints on Sonic. With the moves he was given and speed an precision required to execute them, he should have had more mobility in the air.

Coupled with more weight, Sonic would be pushing high tier.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I think more weight and slightly more air movement speed would really balance him out. Those are my only real complaints on Sonic. With the moves and speed an precision required to execute them, he should have more mobility in the air.

Coupled with more weight, Sonic would be pushing high tier.
Did I just see...?
Is this really.....?

NOT SPAM!!!

P.S. I went onto home run contest and sonic can run around 200m in 10 seconds (the result was 180m but the measurement does start til u get on the strip and sonic has to run off the platform first too.) so i rounded it to 20m/s. And for even numbers sake that is 72 km/h or about 45mph.
Captain falcon ran 115m in the same test. so Lets call it 125m/10 or 12.5/second which is about 28mph or 45kph.
so yer.. pointless testing is completed. infact i'll go do some more accurate tests and remove the falling off the platform error

OK DID IT: He runs 101m in 5 secs. So he just about halves the Human World Record and his top speed is probably 75kph (buffed it up a little to account for the inital acceleration)
Michael Johnson ran about: 37.267 km/h
So we are doubling all human speeds..having said that Captain Falcon is faster than Michael Johnson by a long shot and would run a 100m sprint in 8 seconds. But sonics still been waiting for 3 seconds lol.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I anti-agree. Everyone else is quick enough(except ganon -_-). Sonic's Spincharge shoudl definitely be faster.

The one thing I really really wish Sonic had moveset wise(not priority range blah), is a way to go from an SDR right into a run, and viceversa like he could in so many of his games. Not sure how useful it would be, but nevertheless.
Whatever. It's a matter of opinion anyways, but Melee is more favored by a lot of people for a reason :/

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice
yeah.. uhh honestly double the speed is just stupid.. he's fine as he is. if you get a bunny hood or curry he is like uncontrolable -_- you guys need to chill and just accept him for what he is...

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
He isn't uncontrollable. Look at melee Fox.
its only an issue if you are not used to a character moving at melee speed.
You know, before I got brawl people kept saying they've died by running of the stage because of Sonics speed. Never happened to me...

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
You know, before I got brawl people kept saying they've died by running of the stage because of Sonics speed. Never happened to me...
They're probably already back on the screen by the time it registers in their puny brains that they've died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom