• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should "No Tripping" be a Tournament Standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
**** happenz. The point of this thread is to express and defend your opinions. My opinion is that if you don't like the game is, play another. Don't like tripping, play melee or mod your wii. There are plenty of games out there that there is some really ******** **** and still people put their soul and blood at learning the game. No matter how many infinites or stupid **** there may be. Play the game and shut your mouth.
I know its your opinion, but the fact is, with this hack, **** (like that video on this page) WON'T happen. And some people like Brawl BUT hate tripping and would love to do something about it.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Haha, nice! Is it only for Samus or can other characters do it? Looks quite viable with no tripping on...
Every character, it makes sonic top tier, ill find the vid for you. Something about true pivot, idk, phanna stuff, I think you can do anything out of this dash dance though, not just a grab or dash attack or usmash since it's a pivot, but only at the ends of the dashdance.

Sonic's pwns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioUt7qjfh6Y

Vilt

Smash Lord
I know its your opinion, but the fact is, with this hack, **** (like that video on this page) WON'T happen. And some people like Brawl BUT hate tripping and would love to do something about it.
See the issue with this is that it is going to start a chain of mods where everyone is going to change the game to their view of it. That is going to lead to a bunch of ****. It should be left alone. No mods, just pure straight fighting no matter what can **** it up.

ADHD

Smash Hero
See the issue with this is that it is going to start a chain of mods where everyone is going to change the game to their view of it. That is going to lead to a bunch of ****. It should be left alone. No mods, just pure straight fighting no matter what can **** it up.
It's just tripping, people like me would be highly against anything else.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I'm reposting this from another thread since no one is going to read it anyway

<3 said:
:/ Tripping isn't that bad, honestly. I'll spare the huge rant but, as a professional player you should understand and except the risk of any things you do. I understand the weight difference here but GaWs don't complain when they hit with a 1 instead of a 9. They understand the risk and accept they failed. If you are at 300% and they are at 300 percent and they whiff, go for a tilt instead of a smash. I promise you you won't trip the game away.
Man up, adjust, be better.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
We should also remove Luigi's Green Missile misfires, and stick Mr. G&Ws hammer on only a certain number, just cause those are randomly decided effects.
And, yeah, you initiate the trip by dashing(the quick horizontal smashing of the analog stick), and you can initiate the Green Missile or Chance Hammer thing by either hitting the analog stick(horizontally and the B button) or hitting the C-stick horizontally.
Oh yeah, Peach also has random turnips.
Seriously, I won't tamper my Wii, I know some of you are bad at dealing with misfortune, sometimes, your tears are the only way to deal, but get over it.
Now, I wouldn't mind an official patch that gave us the option to toggle tripping off, otherwise, I won't tamper with my Wii, cause it will probably get blocked anyway.

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I didn't have time to read the entire thing. I use ocarina to play brawl on occasion, and I've had troubles with it making it lock up. Especially on corneria (every time great fox shoots, i have to reboot my wii). It never happens when I don't use Ocarina. This could be a huge huge problem if it were to be used in tournaments. So, if people want to start using it, please make sure it's stable.

Revven

FrankerZ
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I didn't have time to read the entire thing. I use ocarina to play brawl on occasion, and I've had troubles with it making it lock up. Especially on corneria (every time great fox shoots, i have to reboot my wii). It never happens when I don't use Ocarina. This could be a huge huge problem if it were to be used in tournaments. So, if people want to start using it, please make sure it's stable.
What codes are you using? =\

I can assure you that a code like no tripping wouldn't cause lock ups. Most likely, you're probably either using too many codes at once or you're using codes that cause the game to have unnatural thing to happen and the game locks up/crashes. That's normal with codes, codes like no tripping though, won't cause that. With my experience so far with the code, nothing of the like has happened.

Vilt

Smash Lord
It's just tripping, people like me would be highly against anything else.
Yeah, sorry but you mom has been lying to you, the world doesn't revolve around you. Not everyone has the same mindset as you can plainly see.

We should also remove Luigi's Green Missile misfires, and stick Mr. G&Ws hammer on only a certain number, just cause those are randomly decided effects.
And, yeah, you initiate the trip by dashing(the quick horizontal smashing of the analog stick), and you can initiate the Green Missile or Chance Hammer thing by either hitting the analog stick(horizontally and the B button) or hitting the C-stick horizontally.
Oh yeah, Peach also has random turnips.
Seriously, I won't tamper my Wii, I know some of you are bad at dealing with misfortune, sometimes, your tears are the only way to deal, but get over it.
Now, I wouldn't mind an official patch that gave us the option to toggle tripping off, otherwise, I won't tamper with my Wii, cause it will probably get blocked anyway.
Thank you.

Revven

FrankerZ
Let's trade tripping for game crashes, great idea huh?
That hasn't been stated before, Phelix, but it might be a messed up code or something...
It's not a messed up code, it never will be either, I have used the code a lot already and nothing has happened. The code works, doesn't cause any problems. The only codes that will cause that are multiple final smashes, get bigger than the ****ing screen, too many things on screen at once, stage modifiers (playing on certain stages not normally possible), character modifiers (playing as Warioman and the Alloys), and so on and so forth. Anything GAMEPLAY mechanic changing, i.e Infinite Jumping, Infinite Up B, and no tripping won't cause these issues to occur unless it's a character specific problem which won't happen with no tripping anyway BECAUSE it doesn't affect characters.

That being said, you need to have used Melee codes to even BEGIN to understand what causes crashes in Brawl. People who didn't use codes in Melee and are using codes in Brawl won't have a single clue about why certain codes cause freezes and then try to find reasons and then give false warnings for codes that don't even need warnings.

The fact that your backing up his idea is dumb as hell because the code doesn't cause freezing or crashing, if it did, I'd have experienced it by now AND it wouldn't even be released until these problems were corrected. For **** sakes there's a video of me using the code! X_X

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
What codes are you using? =\

I can assure you that a code like no tripping wouldn't cause lock ups. Most likely, you're probably either using too many codes at once or you're using codes that cause the game to have unnatural thing to happen and the game locks up/crashes. That's normal with codes, codes like no tripping though, won't cause that. With my experience so far with the code, nothing of the like has happened.
Right, I was playing around with more than just not tripping. If you're sure that the tripping code won't do any of that, then that's great.

Though, I was only using no tripping and infinite jumps. It doesn't seem like that would cause glitches with the stage... Whatever. Like I said, just make sure everyone knows what they're getting into before we make this a standard or anything.

And...in response to the post above me, try turning on infinite jumps and going to corneria. Maybe it's just my wii/bad code/something, but it happens every time the great fox shoots.

Revven

FrankerZ
Though, I was only using no tripping and infinite jumps. It doesn't seem like that would cause glitches with the stage... Whatever. Like I said, just make sure everyone knows what they're getting into before we make this a standard or anything.
Weird... I only used Infinite Jumping for a short period of time and nothing went wrong with it. Went to a few stages...

Perhaps it's the combination of the codes and they conflict with each other? THAT would make sense, try using no tripping only and see what happens when you go Corneria. If no crashing, it's because the codes conflict with each other.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Yeah, I was pretty sure he was using a code you guys weren't, I was actually, kinda joking around a bit, I know, I know, robots can't laugh, all they can do is spam laser and gyro...ok.

But if we do this. Things online will DS because not everybody will be modding their wiis.
Of course, now online matches can suck more, rather than randomly tripping, you randomly disconnect.
(My connection runs at 54mbps, not 56kbps, if you already randomnly disconnect, you might need to upgrade).

Revven

FrankerZ
But if we do this. Things online will DS because not everybody will be modding their wiis.
I don't get what you mean by "DS" but I'm assuming you meant "DC"? Either way, the code doesn't last forever, only when you use Ocarina and it cannot be used online because when you do and someone lacks the code and you trip and then you desync and get DC'ed. When they (your opponent and you also have the code) have the code, you won't DC. WiFi will be fine, not to worry. They would DC too so, I honestly don't see the point in them using the code too. XD

Yeah, I was pretty sure he was using a code you guys weren't, I was actually, kinda joking around a bit, I know, I know, robots can't laugh, all they can do is spam laser and gyro...ok.
Oh, sorry for getting a little 'mad' at you. It's just that you came off as serious in the second sentence, I got that the first sentence was sarcasm though.

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice

Of course, now online matches can suck more, rather than randomly tripping, you randomly disconnect.
(My connection runs at 54mbps, not 56kbps, if you already randomnly disconnect, you might need to upgrade).
Just for the record, it lets you play completely desynched unless you use items. Then it just tells you you lost connection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMdki1fZ6DI

noodles

Smash Champion
doesnt the twilight hack or homebrew channel invalidate warranties ppl might have? theyre wii's warranty shouldnt be voided because of this. TO's should make sure they know what they are doing before doing this.

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
doesnt the twilight hack or homebrew channel invalidate warranties ppl might have? theyre wii's warranty shouldnt be voided because of this. TO's should make sure they know what they are doing before doing this.
As far as I know, that's kind of a gray area. I've been looking into wii homebrew for a while, and never found any definitive answer. But, I have heard stories of people ruining their wii (completely locking it up, can't get past the health and safety thing) and having it replaced for free by nintendo, even without warranty.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I don't think so, a mod chip does, but I am pretty sure that everything your putting into this mod doesn't need a mod chip.
But, anyone else got clarification?

noodles

Smash Champion
@johnthegalactic where i get my wad files there is a statement from nintendo (you can find in ur wiis booklet) that pretty much says by doing this your warranty is voided. ill post a link when im on my computer

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I don't want to do this, because I am afraid of how Nintendo could punish modders with their next patch...although playing DVDs on my Wii is very enticing...although I have a DVD sitting in my closet that works fine.

@johnthegalactic where i get my wad files there is a statement from nintendo (you can find in ur wiis booklet) that pretty much says by doing this your warranty is voided. ill post a link when im on my computer
You sure? I thought it was just opening the machine up and messing around with the parts which voids the warranty, as far as I know, you are just using an unlicensed application on your Wii.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
I dont think it should be tournament standard, but it shouldnt be banned from tournaments to do so =D. People will just prefer to play on the wii's w/o tripping.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
It shouldn't be tournament standard, because whats to stop people from putting in slight modifications to their mains as well as take out tripping. Like slightly beefing knockback or damage on certain attacks, then blaming it on poor DI or the other players ignorance to the percentages on each attack. Modding Brawl from its intended design is a slippery slope. In this thread alone there is talk of modding warioware; I don't care if it is a joke the option is there. Where would it stop? How would TO's monitor each wii to ensure everything is fair. The fact you have to hack the wii the begin with is a bit concerning as well.
Tripping itself isn't that cumbersome. Sure you can trip into some attack at random but hell if you were in the position to get owned by something lethal...why were you dashing away from it; since thats really the only way you can trip. Don't blame trips for putting yourself in a stupid position and then making the less intelligent choice from the long list of options. Look trips happen its in the game, to every party involved, thusly everyone gets equally shafted, so get over it.

Harbinger631

Smash Apprentice
It shouldn't be tournament standard, because whats to stop people from putting in slight modifications to their mains as well as take out tripping. Like slightly beefing knockback or damage on certain attacks, then blaming it on poor DI or the other players ignorance to the percentages on each attack. Modding Brawl from its intended design is a slippery slope. In this thread alone there is talk of modding warioware; I don't care if it is a joke the option is there. Where would it stop? How would TO's monitor each wii to ensure everything is fair. The fact you have to hack the wii the begin with is a bit concerning as well.
Tripping itself isn't that cumbersome. Sure you can trip into some attack at random but hell if you were in the position to get owned by something lethal...why were you dashing away from it; since thats really the only way you can trip. Don't blame trips for putting yourself in a stupid position and then making the less intelligent choice from the long list of options. Look trips happen its in the game, to every party involved, thusly everyone gets equally shafted, so get over it.
That's actually a pretty valid concern. What's to stop people from cheating? Also, an innocent question, is modifying game content illegal?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I've never liked the argument that draws a similarity between tripping and attacks with random elements. The only attack I've seen that can randomly punish the user for using it is Judgment. A misfire can cause Luigi to overshoot, but that's not generally a bad thing except on very small stages like Marth's Story in Melee. And overshooting is even less of a problem in Brawl. A stitchface can be used against Peach, but that would be the player's own fault. Gordo can't punish Dedede of its own accord.

So we have Judgment. Personally, I almost never see GaW players use this move, except as a joke or something. The fact that very little leads into it and that its usefulness is unpredictable at best make it a mediocre move amongst moves that are worlds better.

So what, we just never do anything that makes us trip? Well, then what about the dude that literally runs circles around us and wins because he's actually pressing advantages? We have to play as though there's no such thing as tripping, but there is. This isn't like Judgment, because Judgment is one of GaW's worst moves, even without a 1, so GaW mains don't have to play like there's no such thing as it.

Essentially, I've long felt that bringing up other moves with random elements is specious. It was specious against items and it's specious against tripping.

IDK

Smash Lord
well i would be happy if it was truly out, but here's what i say.
-it's part of the game
-it's really not that bad, don't be a $%ssy,
-not everyone can buy the stuff to hack their wii
-modding is illegal by nintendo which means if you want to provide consoles for tournaments, you sacrifice customer support for your wii and all the other risks of modding...
-i would be okay if say, nintendo sent out an update to brawl THROUGH wifi... which could still cause problems. such as a lot of lag on everyone else for say a month, the requirement of people having wifi, etc...
-if you don't want tripping so ****ing bad, go play melee. wow.
-this thread and the people posting in it piss me off unless they're saying this is a bad idea... because it is.
wow. there are problems with this game and we can't fix them all. let's take out glide tossing, final d lip, tripping, snake's tilt range, actually completely nerf all the better characters, no more of ANY advanced techniques like zap jump, wavebounce, upsmash stagespike, ANYTHING you can think of. while we're at it lets fix MELEE too. no more wavedashing, L canceling... oh wait... sakurai already did that when he made the better game... BRAWL. so he put in ****ing TRIPPING. let it GO.

Foxy

Smash Master
I'm going to vent for a second and make a huge, sweeping generalization.

EVERYONE WHO THINKS THAT REMOVING TRIPPING FOR TOURNIES IS STUPID IS IN SUPPORT OF A GAME MECHANIC THAT OFFERS NOTHING TO THE GAME AND ONLY EXISTS TO SCREW YOU OVER AT RANDOM TIMES.

Okay, that's done.

However, I can't emphasize more that tripping, unlike other random elements, is not a risk-reward situation. You use G&W's hammer aware of the risk of getting a poor number and hoping to be rewarded for your risk-taking with a high number. You accept the chance. When you use Luigi's Green Missile, you're either hoping for a misfire or hoping to not misfire, and you accept the risk of something happening that you didn't desire. When pulling turnips with Peach, you know that you may have a chance of getting something out of the ordinary and you're prepared to use it if that's the case.

However, tripping is just horrible. It has no risk-reward mechanic (other than moving and hoping to not trip). It has no purpose in the game. It has NEVER BEFORE been in a fighter because never before has a fighter been made in such poor taste and vision to the point where something like this seems like a good addition.

I personally work on modifications to create a more Melee-style Brawl, such as more hitstun, but I would never even consider those to be used in tournies, never mind become a standard. Those are just being created for the sake of seeing a better game that can be played for enjoyment and for the possibility of a large portion of the community accepting it.

Removing tripping, however, is the ONE modification that I would expect to become a tourney standard. It's binary rather than analog (on/off versus a value) so there's no horrible discussion on "how much is enough". It's a very slight change, with no downsides, that only serves to prevent occasional distress and even more rare complete tragedy at absolutely no cost. Although I don't expect to see it become a universal standard for some time, many TO's are already prepared to utilize it in finals and everyone opposed to it just has a very non-competitive view of gaming. Honestly, I can't tell you how many times I've lost because of a trip.

On the subject of sneaking in other modifications: it's pretty easy to check what codes are being loaded, just slap the SD card into a computer that can read it and check the enabled codes. As it is the only codes that would be useful if slipped into a Wii would be the offense and defense modifiers, which not only would be noticed by anyone who knows the damage percentages of certain moves (which most competitive smashers do, if just to exclaim the cheapness of something; often they'll say "look at Snake's ftilt, it just did 21% fresh, that's ridiculous) but it also only alters specific character slots, and it can be somewhat random what slot you get in a tournament unless you're adamant about it (which draws attention to the illegal modification).

M@v

Subarashii!
As long as you can still trip people using moves(which im pretty sure you can), I dont care either way. I was just wondering about the move tripping because fox relies on people tripping from his dair at higher%s. This lets him combo into a Usmash, which = a kill. This occurs more than 50% of the time at high percents, so its important to my characters game.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I've never liked the argument that draws a similarity between tripping and attacks with random elements. The only attack I've seen that can randomly punish the user for using it is Judgment. A misfire can cause Luigi to overshoot, but that's not generally a bad thing except on very small stages like Marth's Story in Melee. And overshooting is even less of a problem in Brawl. A stitchface can be used against Peach, but that would be the player's own fault. Gordo can't punish Dedede of its own accord.

So we have Judgment. Personally, I almost never see GaW players use this move, except as a joke or something. The fact that very little leads into it and that its usefulness is unpredictable at best make it a mediocre move amongst moves that are worlds better.

So what, we just never do anything that makes us trip? Well, then what about the dude that literally runs circles around us and wins because he's actually pressing advantages? We have to play as though there's no such thing as tripping, but there is. This isn't like Judgment, because Judgment is one of GaW's worst moves, even without a 1, so GaW mains don't have to play like there's no such thing as it.

Essentially, I've long felt that bringing up other moves with random elements is specious. It was specious against items and it's specious against tripping.
Awesome post. People SERIOUSLY need to stop using the argument of comparing tripping removal to character alteration and just altering the games physics. It's getting ****ing old. -_-

noodles

Smash Champion
IS this legal? maybe if we dont sell it or something but im just assuming i really have no idea.

if TO's want to prevent cheating they can just do it themselves during free time (registrations) before tournaments

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I only say just for fun, it should not be a tournament. It would be kind of unfair for Diddy Kong main's that down-b as a stratagy as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom