• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should "No Tripping" be a Tournament Standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GofG

Smash Champion
Even if Sakurai didn't want the game to be competitive, the point still stands: The game is how it is and if you change it, it is not how it was supposed to be.

If you want to play Brawl, play it without hacks. If you want to play your hacked game, go ahead.

I like modding games, but I realize that it would never be accepted as a standard replacement to the original.
Many times in games has a mod completely replaced the original. Battlefield 1942, a mod came out called Desert Combat. Pretty soon, 95% of BF1942 servers were DC. Jedi Knight II, you won't find a single server that is actually running the original game; they're all running JA+ or Duelmod. Hell, even CS:S, zombie mod is extremely popular.

In all of these cases, I wouldn't ever tell someone I was playing the "Desert Combat version of Battlefield 1942". I would tell them I was playing "Battlefield 1942". Similarly, if you were playing one of the thousands of expansion packs to Oblivion, you wouldn't say "Oh, I'm playing Dungeons of Bad Omen" (i made that up), you would say "Oh, I'm playing Oblivion."

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
it seems like trip enthusiasts have been properly pwned.. but just in case, let me ask you this.

wasnt counter strike 1.6 one of the best competitive shooters ever?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Wow. I'm glad the DH exists so I can escape from you thick-skulled fools.

You cannot ignore the "slippery slope" argument. This is just as valid of something that can cause a slippery slope as anything else.

Also, all of the real-world examples are grossly exaggerated.
Oh, too bad, you can't. *Points at name*

We can ignore the slippery slope argument because it's not relevant. It's not the same thing, because removing tripping affects NOTHING except tripping. The only thing it does is prevent lost matches. Even if they're one in a million, the person who gets killed by tripping that one in a million times shouldn't be screwed just because you're too lazy to do something about tripping.

And that "Your examples are exaggerated" argument is stupid as well, because you're just going to use that on any example we have, relevant or not.

I'll use an example, even though you'll refute it right off the bat.

Removing tripping is like removing most extra work in life. Like, stupid paperwork that needs not be done. It wouldn't affect anything, it'd just remove that stupid, pointless, extra work. The stuff that's not random and stupid would still remain, but the stupid stuff would go away. On the other hand, adding hitstun or nerfing Meta Knight a little bit so he's not God Tier would be like removing jobs. You remove jobs and you screw everything up beyond beliefs. Remove half of the jobs in the world and chaos will erupt. But removing silly paperwork is hardly going to lead to removing jobs.

That's what tripping is, silly paperwork. Or, as I like to say, it's Spam. It's stupid, pointless, and annoying, and it's a message from Sakurai to competitive players all around saying "**** YOU!"

And Falco, it may sound ridiculous but they have their reasons. Reading tons of essays is not only hard work, but then it takes longer for people to be admitted to the Debate Hall, thus decreasing activity. Plus, when the DWYP contest was close to starting a while ago, a rule was made that people who have been members for less than...can't remember the time, but in any case, they had to compete in DWYP and if they debated well, they got to stay (or if they were inactive and didn't see the notice, they got booted from the Debate Hall). Also, there's a sticky in there that lets you report people who are doing stupid things, etc. so if someone's posting idiotically in the Debate Hall then they're kicked out.

But this Debate Hall Discussion doesn't really belong here.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
Finally some people actually read what I type.

Does anybody else object to the fact that hacking Brawl will never be an accepted tournament standard?

If there are no objections, I'd like this thread to change direction with Deathcarter's question: Do you think highly important matches like finals brackets?

I stand by my argument that the standard for Brawl should be the way it was programmed and the only changes made should be ones put into the game.

I hope this thread at least becomes somewhat intelligent.

GofG

Smash Champion
What do you mean "if there are no objections"? There's only one person in this thread holding your own viewpoint, and that's you.

Foxy

Smash Master
I stand by my argument that the standard for Brawl should be the way it was programmed and the only changes made should be ones put into the game.
Who cares what YOU think or what argument YOU stand by?

We're not trying to convince you.

We're only arguing with you to stop uneducated passer-bys from being fooled into thinking like you.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
It seemed that Deathcarter and Metakirby agreed with me unless I misread.

But I agree with Gofg, this thread should be locked because it isn't going anywhere.

GofG

Smash Champion
No, I think it should be locked because it was ENDED by FirustTheHedgehog. I don't think it's going anywhere because right now it's 8 people versus 1 person, but we might as well debate it out until you leave or become convinced that you're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom