• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should "No Tripping" be a Tournament Standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Anyone here who supports tripping is i from this point on will be put on my ignored list, I SWEAR TO GOD.

Seriously, stop these stupid **** claims that I've shot down so many times.

"No body **** with stages or characters, just what TO's have decided, stuff like no tripping should be ****ing MANDATORY". If we all took out tripping the game could only be better, if you think we're going to 'balance characters' and edit stats and all that bull****, you're a ****ing *******, and you should go kill yourself.

Good God, you know what, lets ban the ability to change rules and **** in CS servers, because it may **** with competitive play. Oh wait, NO IT DOESN'T.

If people are gonna **** up their game so Mk is uber suck, let them, it wont ****ing affect the tourney players one single bit.

Foxy

Smash Master
I only say just for fun, it should not be a tournament. It would be kind of unfair for Diddy Kong main's that down-b as a stratagy as well.
Tripping caused by attacks, such as Diddy's banana trips, are completely still included with this code. They will happen as usual, the only thing removed is the tripping when you dash.

IS this legal? maybe if we dont sell it or something but im just assuming i really have no idea.

if TO's want to prevent cheating they can just do it themselves during free time (registrations) before tournaments
It's legal, just as AR's and Gamesharks were legal and sold in stores. It isn't even truly modding the game (which is more legally shaky), it's more of just a cheat code, which is obviously not illegal.

noodles

Smash Champion
wait, i dont know if this has been asked or not but does this effect moves that cause tripping? (mainly diddy kongs bananas)

noodles

Smash Champion
yea mybad, im on my wii so i type slow and didnt see those posts. i was just about to edit it

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I thought it only works on all tripping mech's. Ok, my bad then, but I won't us that unless I buy another Wii, you can never be too careful.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
well i would be happy if it was truly out, but here's what i say.
-it's part of the game
-it's really not that bad, don't be a $%ssy,
-not everyone can buy the stuff to hack their wii
-modding is illegal by nintendo which means if you want to provide consoles for tournaments, you sacrifice customer support for your wii and all the other risks of modding...
-i would be okay if say, nintendo sent out an update to brawl THROUGH wifi... which could still cause problems. such as a lot of lag on everyone else for say a month, the requirement of people having wifi, etc...
-if you don't want tripping so ****ing bad, go play melee. wow.
-this thread and the people posting in it piss me off unless they're saying this is a bad idea... because it is.
wow. there are problems with this game and we can't fix them all. let's take out glide tossing, final d lip, tripping, snake's tilt range, actually completely nerf all the better characters, no more of ANY advanced techniques like zap jump, wavebounce, upsmash stagespike, ANYTHING you can think of. while we're at it lets fix MELEE too. no more wavedashing, L canceling... oh wait... sakurai already did that when he made the better game... BRAWL. so he put in ****ing TRIPPING. let it GO.
No, they cannot stop being whiners.
Seriously, if all you can do is complain about tripping, you must not be very good at winning.
Tripping won't increase your rate of winning. Ikes Fsmash still can KO.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
It's more that I don't see how TO's can enforce everyone who brings a setup to a tourny to use this hack. Sure it can be available to those who want it but the word "hack" is discouraging to most That and you've said you'd ignore anyone who is pro-tripping so arguing/debating is kinda futile.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
I still think it is too early to be erasing features from the game.

Taking things out of the game will start a slippery slope that will lead somewhere that nobody wants to go.

I vote leave tripping in.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
So I think we have come to the consensus no tripping is amazing???

>_>
We SHOULD. But some people are going to continue to say "you should accept the fact that you may have a BS match ending due to tripping" rather then remove it and NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT. *sigh*

Tim. HOW DOES REMOVING TRIPPING LEAD TO ALTERING GAME PHYSICS AND CHARACTERS?

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I am not pro-tripping, I am anti-hacking! If Nintendo cut off Sakurais head, and then patched the game, I would accept a no tripping patch, but hacking...yeah..alternate pikachu skins are fine and dandy ya know, but not no tripping.
Here is a simple tournament standard, decisive trip that turns near end match into disadter=rematch, there, now there is near zero controversy.
Tripping equals offline friendly fun, just like adding moar tripping(whoever does this, I don't get you, unless it's a joke).

We SHOULD. But some people are going to continue to say "you should accept the fact that you may have a BS match ending due to tripping" rather then remove it and NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT. *sigh*
Has my idea ever been considered, just call it interference, tripping, wether it ruins the match or somehow helps you, should make a rematch mandatory that is if it causes a stupid match ending...like 80% damages lucario tripping into a 180% damaged ikes Fsmash.
Just object and call a rematch!

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Ignore list has been updated.

And you don't have to mod your wii if you're not gonna take it anywhere, but I think no tripping should be required for tourneys. I don't see why we aren't allowed to take away and add the things we wanted and expected from a good Smash game in the first place.

I sure as hell wont be modding my wii unless hitstun is turned up in tourney play, then it will be a huge issue for me, in which case I'll just go get an SD card. >_>

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
@meta: Um... tripping is part of the physics of the game. so removing it would be altering game physics. I am perfectly fine with people hacking the heck out of their own game, I just think the game should be played as programmed.

If you don't like tripping, play melee.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
Bits and pieces of the OP
This thread is in response to concerns voiced in the thread, No tripping code 'tis out. That thread is for discussion of the No tripping code, technical details of its implementation on and offline, the legal status of Wii modification, and the feasibility and ramifications of other possible hacks utilizing the Homebrew Channel and Ocarina. It is not for discussion of the use of the No Tripping code in tournaments, and its effect on the metagame.

This thread is not to encourage flaming, shouting matches or generally disagreeable behavior. Instead it is to promote intelligent, educated discussion.

Against the code's use in competitive play, it has been said that use of the code in tournaments will be difficult to implement, requiring that every system brought to the tournament be modded with Homebrew Channel and Ocarina, and that every one have the code loaded onto their SD card. If someone brings a Wii that doesn't meet these specs, then it is a hassle for TOs.

Further arguments have questioned the ethics of such modification vis-à-vis creator's intent and whether or not the game should be altered beyond the means provided by Masahiro Sakurai and Sora Ltd. They have argued that tripping was put in Brawl for whatever reason, and that that decision should be respected.

It has also been argued that tripping is an inane addition to Brawl that serves no competitive purpose. It is a randomly assigned disadvantage that is unpreventable and unpredictable. While it can happen without any ill effect, it can also happen at a point where someone could lose a match as a result. Therefore, it has no place in competitive Brawl, just as items are generally accepted as uncompetitive.

That said, feel free to voice your own opinion for or against, but please, no flaming or pejorative posts. The mods here are very good, and will likely keep a close eye on this thread. If it gets out of hand, I have no doubt that they will lock this thread and hand out infractions to all perpetrators, so keep it clean, please.
It seems to me we're just rehashing the same thing over and over again as the thread continues gaining no ground in either direction. IMO it also seems the the anti-tripping crowd seems to be becoming more aggressive with falcon going so far as to state he would ignore anyone pro-tripping (which kinda goes aganist discussion and falls into a sense of my opinion is better then yours and i don't care for you side of the argument). I think we need to take a step back and seriously think about the ramifications of hacking brawl, then trying to impose this tweaked version of the game on the tournament community, when we've already accepted tripping as part of the gameplay and the community has grown despite this ugly wart popping up every once in a while mid-match.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Bits and pieces of the OP

It seems to me we're just rehashing the same thing over and over again as the thread continues gaining no ground in either direction. IMO it also seems the the anti-tripping crowd seems to be becoming more aggressive with falcon going so far as to state he would ignore anyone pro-tripping. I think we need to take a step back and seriously think about the ramifications of hacking brawl, then trying to impose this tweaked version of the game on the tournament community, when we've already accepted tripping as part of the gameplay and the community has grown despite this ugly wart popping up every once in a while mid-match.
We've accepted it like an annoying neighbor, and we would like the neighbor dead.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
This idea is crap because half life proved that modding games is a horrible decision that ends in a slippery slope to stuff like CS:CO and CSS.

You should be ashamed

edit:look at the names for those that posted for trip and those against. People for tripping because of balance are pros.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
@meta: Um... tripping is part of the physics of the game. so removing it would be altering game physics. I am perfectly fine with people hacking the heck out of their own game, I just think the game should be played as programmed.

If you don't like tripping, play melee.
It wouldn't be in a negative way though. No1 becomes broken, no1 becomes worthless. All that happens is that BS matches like that video Falcon produced a few pages back NEVER HAPPEN.

And WTF is with that last line? I prefer Melee, but why does Brawl HAVE to have tripping? Some people prefer Brawl over Melee, but hate tripping.

betterthanbonds9. It's just to remove tripping!

MuBa

Smash Lord
But to confirm it to everybody since I have the homebrew channel and the no tripping code:

And I've already tested Diddy's bananas and ROB's d-tilt and they still have tripping properties

So basically the No-Tripping code works only on the start-up of dashing and not on the attacks.

As for me I totally support Brawl tournaments with No-Tripping.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
While we are taking out tripping, let's just take out MK's IDC and throw out infi-grabs.

The game is balanced with tripping in. Leave the game as it is.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
WHY do we have to play with tripping when we can actually remove it? What's the logic of leaving it in? BTW, its just run-induced tripping.
Cause, it is just as much a part of the game as Down smashing, uh, you aren't having to force every TO to have tripplessness though hacking in their game, yeah, it's just tripping, why do we have to go so far with it, why not just let who wants it get it, then play around happily with friends, while everyone who doesn't want to buy about $25 of equipment for the sake of someone full of excuses for losing to have one less.

Just use this simple formula if you get a convulated ending of a match because of a tripping incident.
Trip into Ikes Fsmash and lose tourney=Rematch.

I just don't want to tamper with my Wii, I have SD cards, a digital camera to read them, and a bunch of rental stores where I could pick up a copy of LoZ TP.

Let's back this up, Jiggz vs. Sonic.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
While we are taking out tripping, let's just take out MK's IDC and throw out infi-grabs.

Taking out IDC (Banned prematurely) and grab-release infinites isn't a bad idea actually (or do you like Lucas being grab ***** by Marth?) :p

Anyway, tripping serves no purpose other then to randomly screw over players for NO REASON. The fact that many people have won/lost matches because they tripped should support its removal from competitive play (like items).

One thing I'd like to make clear. No one is forcing you to remove tripping. If you don't want to go through the trouble then don't and go on your merry way. Some people however would love to do away with such a bothersome mechanic.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
One thing I'd like to make clear. No one is forcing you to remove tripping. If you don't want to go through the trouble then don't and go on your merry way. Some people however would love to do away with such a bothersome mechanic.
Uh, actually, if it becomes a tournament standard, then we are being forced to pretty much. It is a much simpler, less controversial, less prone to being patched away by Nintendo solution to call for a rematch.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Uh, actually, if it becomes a tournament standard, then we are being forced to pretty much. It is a much simpler, less controversial, less prone to being patched away by Nintendo solution to call for a rematch.
TOs run tournaments how they please. SBR's ruleset is more a guide then a mandatory thing. If they added this to the ruleset, you still don't have to use it.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
We are arguing whether or not it should be a STANDARD.

If you want to have a brawl hack-fest, go ahead.

The game should be played as it was programmed and tripping has just as much "purpose" as any other aspect in the game.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
In my humble opinion, yes, "No Tripping" should be the tournament standard if we can get it working consistently. I am all for making Brawl a better game :)

WhoIsMrBlack

Smash Cadet
I personally don't think this, or any game-modifying code, should be added to an official tournament list of rules. For one, it's a hassel AND a worry for TOs, I know if I was organising a tournament I wouldn't want to mess around with my Wii or anyone else's (or hire/buy the equipment for that matter)

Despite that, I also think we should play the game how it is, or we're not really playing Brawl. The option is there to turn items off, so that's np. But there was never an option to turn tripping off, and whether it was thought about or not tripping is there to stay.

Furthermore, if one code/hack is introduced to tournament play, people will start asking for more. "If we can have no tripping code, can we have no IDC? Can we have no chaingrab? Can we nerf Snake??" Maybe not to that extreme but you get my point. As soon as a code is justified for tournament play, people will justify others and there will be no argument against them.

Like a couple of people said, if an umpire deems a match unfairly won/lost due to tripping, they can simply call a rematch. It's not often that tripping will actually decide a match.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Then why should they add it to the ruleset?
Why? Why not? Nothing negative comes from endorsing the removal of tripping. it actually has a positive effect because BS matches won't happen (Your idea of just having rematches for BS endings would be difficult to work out because TOs can't monitor every match). Altering hitstun and character traits should NEVER be the standard, but something like this only yields positive results.

Samsquamptch

Smash Cadet
My largest worry would be people making other, more malicious alterations to the code, in order to strengthen their character or hamper others.
Other than that I am all for this.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Why? Why not? Nothing negative comes from endorsing the removal of tripping. it actually has a positive effect because BS matches won't happen (Your idea of just having rematches for BS endings would be difficult to work out because TOs can't monitor every match). Altering hitstun and character traits should NEVER be the standard, but something like this only yields positive results.
Uh, actually, you can do a thing called have people who arent the TO watch! And why should there be some matches without and some with tripping, since everyone won't have to tamper with their console.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
You seem to have a really immature way of thinking about things.

You can always pivot and avoid tripping.

Don't try to change something just because you aren't skilled enough the overcome it.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
And if their are more matches then people can watch?

Your second sentence confuses me. Are you referring to when some1 said they would have the final match be tripless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom