• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight Be Banned? The Poll (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Ohh, so the entire country needs to ban MK to level the playing field to let Texas compete...

And here was an easy prediction for Hobo 11:
1. M2K
2. Azen
3. One of the best players in the area

Guess what top 3 was? Lee was Louisiana, so I guess that is slightly less than local-but not by much. Hobo 11 didn't prove much at all. The person considered the best MK in Texas at the time, Dojo, got 9th too.

OS, could you cite a tournament in MW or NY that have had an MK 'problem' in the last 2 months?

or areas with a high concentration of good players that simply choose NOT to play MK because they don't like him.
This is part of the argument for why you can't say "everyone will eventually switch to MK" because not everyone chooses the character in a match up that gives them the best chance of winning. People pick their character for non-logical reasons all the time.

Ulevo

Smash Master
A contribution to why Hobo11 had as many Meta Knights as it did was the hype between Dojo and M2K at the time. Hylian had posted a video of Dojo mauling Santi, and word got out that he mop the floor with the whole tournament. Then people start hyping Dojo, making claims of how he was abusing Meta Knight for the broken character he really is, and were excited to see M2K face Dojo. Both main Meta Knight. Let alone the fact that Texas has a lot of Meta Knights in their region. Are you really surprised Hobo11 had the results it did?

Hobo11 is not the norm by any means in most areas of the States, or Canada. To use it as a supportive example of what is to be is complete folly, and there is little evidence to support the idea.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Ohh, so the entire country needs to ban MK to level the playing field to let Texas compete...
I guess you aren't replying to me because that is not I was saying at all.
I am speaking in terms of banning.

This is part of the argument for why you can't say "everyone will eventually switch to MK" because not everyone chooses the character in a match up that gives them the best chance of winning. People pick their character for non-logical reasons all the time.
Agreed.
Popularity means little in the argument.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
AZ, it's not that the US needs to ban MK because Texas bans MK.
It's that Texas can't ban MK until the whole US decides to ban MK or else Texas won't be able to compete with the rest of the US, and when the rest of the US go to Texas, it'll be harder to compete with them. It creates an uneven metagame type of thing. =/

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Alpha you seem to be reading it as if I am suggesting everyone needs to ban to support Texas which is ludicrous (and putting words in my mouth). I'm pointing out how stupid it would be for any one Region to ban a character no one else is banning because they would be both isolating themselves from everyone and leaving themselves susceptible to the threat of Meta Knight when they travel outside their region due to a lack of experience with the character.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I cant wait to play as gen, Sagat is usually good. Zangief is the man, but el fuerte...... is just mean (some guy kicked my a** with him) But yeah.... MK lol
When a better topic comes up, commonly accepted practice is to pretend this thread is about it.

The hijack rarely lasts more than a page or two.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm pointing out how stupid it would be for any one reason to ban a character no one else is banning because they would be both isolating themselves from everyone and leaving themselves susceptible to the threat of Meta Knight when they travel outside their region due to a lack of experience with the character.
Based on this statement, then, the whole country must therefor ban the character for what has been largely isolated in Texas?

Texas can't ban until the whole country does, correct?
And what is the reasoning for the whole country banning MK? Pretty much the theory that what happened in Texas will happen in other states. So, how is getting MK banned in the whole country NOT an effort to simply level the playing field for Texas?
Essentially, please explain why Midwest tournaments need to be effected by what happens with an entirely different group of Smash players-especially when both groups almost never interact?

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Based on this statement, then, the whole country must therefor ban the character for what has been largely isolated in Texas?

Texas can't ban until the whole country does, correct?
And what is the reasoning for the whole country banning MK? Pretty much the theory that what happened in Texas will happen in other states. So, how is getting MK banned in the whole country NOT an effort to simply level the playing field for Texas?
Essentially, please explain why Midwest tournaments need to be effected by what happens with an entirely different group of Smash players-especially when both groups almost never interact?

You've still got it backwards. The way it works is No one can ban MK if they are in the minority of regions that do it. No one is going to cowtow to them either, so even if it was bad for Texas they will not ban him because then they couldn't compete on a National Scale. This logic doesn't work backwards because you can't convince a majority to follow one state lol. This is no way suggests the whole country out to ban because of what happened in one state. It just shows why Texas shouldn't ban right now, because they would only be hurting themselves.

M.K

Level 55
So you are telling me that someone who is risking $500 on the final match of a tournament would be Pokemon Trainer who has a clear disadvantage against Meta-Knight just because "he likes them?".
Of course not. You may say "That is just one situation" but let's be honest, here, this is one of the only situations people even care about. Friendlies don't mean ****.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Given the number of Meta Knight players out there it looks like the number of voters against MK's ban could very well be Meta Knight players themselves. Every...single...one of them!!!

(jk)

Edit: and why is my account all Mario'd up? I thought I dropped Mario long ago!

Oh and the podcast is 2 hours and a half, dang! I'll be sure to listen to it though.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
So you are telling me that someone who is risking $500 on the final match of a tournament would be Pokemon Trainer who has a clear disadvantage against Meta-Knight just because "he likes them?".
If your name is Steeler, than yes thats exactly what you would do because he doesnt play any other characters except that one that he likes

also, if you go back to inferno's last post, that shows why the MK ban has to be nationwide all at once, 1 region isnt going to ban him until every one does

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Dedede can shut down characters harder than Meta does and you don't see 200-odd page threads about him on the front page all the time. Metaknight makes some character matchups a living hell, but he does not have 0-death capabilities.

He's beatable. Incredibly good, but beatable. Coming from a fighting game background, I have to say banning Meta would basically prove right all the negative things other fighter scenes say about the Smash scene. Share information on how to beat him, learn where his weaknesses are, step up your general aptitude before you start swinging the banhammer.

Who knows, maybe we can have this conversation again about D3 in another 4 months like we did with Snake :D

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Dedede can shut down characters harder than Meta does and you don't see 200-odd page threads about him on the front page all the time. Metaknight makes some character matchups a living hell, but he does not have 0-death capabilities.

He's beatable. Incredibly good, but beatable. Coming from a fighting game background, I have to say banning Meta would basically prove right all the negative things other fighter scenes say about the Smash scene. Share information on how to beat him, learn where his weaknesses are, step up your general aptitude before you start swinging the banhammer.

Who knows, maybe we can have this conversation again about D3 in another 4 months like we did with Snake :D
yes, but D3 has HARD counters, like Falco, who can almost 0-death D3! thats why we don't complain about D3.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac

Snake never got as far as MK did, and MK can't 0-death but he can keep on the offensive with just the right poking distance to make any character paralyzed.

(lol that guy's post got torn up fast)

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
If your name is Steeler, than yes thats exactly what you would do because he doesnt play any other characters except that one that he likes

also, if you go back to inferno's last post, that shows why the MK ban has to be nationwide all at once, 1 region isnt going to ban him until every one does

Man I heard that Steeler guy is a ****ing scrub.

I'm just saying that because he beasted my Meta Knight in the Hutchinson Tournament

Inui

Banned via Warnings
More like Texas is a precursor and every other community is slowly catching up with Texas in terms of MK dominance.
lmao @ the idea of Texas being ahead of Atlantic North when it comes to Smash

They're obviously far behind. Mew2King and Azen went there and played them and said Atlantic North is ahead and better.

Btw, I am going to Texas in April and I will beat every MK there with Snake. Guaranteed.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
lmao @ the idea of Texas being ahead of Atlantic North when it comes to Smash

They're obviously far behind. Mew2King and Azen went there and played them and said Atlantic North is ahead and better.

Btw, I am going to Texas in April and I will beat every MK there with Snake. Guaranteed.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLAWfhhSpv0
im sorry...
what?

posts like this make me think that some people REALLY dont know what MK is capable of doing
Man I heard that Steeler guy is a ****ing scrub.

I'm just saying that because he beasted my Meta Knight in the Hutchinson Tournament
lol hes too good...

gantrain05

Smash Master
yeah Kid, i know about that pos combo, its been done to me plenty of times, not only ending in the whorenado, but it can end with shuttle loop or even drill rush as well and it will kill you.....i hate that ball with wings seriously.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom