• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? ***Take 3***

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
Restrict meta to 1 or 2 games a set.

Then, if metagames catch up and we find hes not THAT broken you can lift the restriction.

He was still there, people still prepared for him

no harm done.

MK mains will have to use an alt sometimes

boo-hoo.
........No

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
People are losing and beating MK's due to player skill, not due to MK. If you really wanna be one of those *******es who infer that **** MK's can beat good players, way to be a **** and insult both of those players. Now for everyone else, way the hell up and realize because it is the player that is winning the match, it means the character is not too good. I dont care if it's boring or in some centralizes the meta game, the fact of the matter is that he's not too good.

According to your almighty Sirlin, if it's not too good, keep it in.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Think about the people that main MK. I'm pretty sure there are people that have used him way before the tier list even came out. I am also pretty sure that they have put in the practice to get good with him. Think aboutthis. If you ban meta,some people will lose all 13 months of hard work they've put into him. Especially people who only main MK. The you'd be like... forcing hella people start all over with a new charcater.

How unfair is that?
Not that "caring" about the other player should matter, but looking into what a ban actually does might provide insight to some of the ban happy people here.

Honestly, what would you do if YOUR main was suddenly illegal in tournament play?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fv2IsRoZhs&feature=related

this video swayed my opinion back onto the fence.
Ha, I love Ally so much now.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Look at the people voting who are KNOWN as competitive players.
Just by looking at the god **** purple names saying yes.
All of them go to tournaments. Most of them place well in tournaments.

People like Roy_R who beat DSF's Meta advocates his ban.
CO18, a guy who was the only non-meta using who placed at whobo, a Meta Knight "shredder" advocates his ban.
PhantomX, a Wario main, a character that many advocating as having a good match up with MK believes he should be banned.

Look at the people who are saying not sure as well. Infinity, one of the best meta knight players around, Ally and Anther, two of the best players in the North Americas that place even within the groves of Meta Knights.

Yes you could list people who have said "no" as well. And that holds as much weight as well. But the fact that GOOD, RESPECTABLE PLAYERS, WHO PLACE WELL, DO WELL etc etc are advocating for a ban or are unsure, when honestly, I bet you have less competitive experience than all of the names I've listed above; there's obviously a good REASON that is within REASON why he should be banned. They, who place well with or without meta knight, the supposibly "good players" who don't moan, say meta is too good. Many of the people saying No don't think he's too good, but out right disregarding the Yes' from respectable players makes you out as a fool.

|RK|

Smash Marketer

CO18, a guy who was the only non-meta using who placed at whobo, a Meta Knight "shredder" advocates his ban.
PhantomX, a Wario main, a character that many advocating as having a good match up with MK believes he should be banned.

Look at the people who are saying not sure as well. Infinity, one of the best meta knight players around, Ally and Anther, two of the best players in the North Americas that place even within the groves of Meta Knights.

Yes you could list people who have said "no" as well. And that holds as much weight as well. But the fact that GOOD, RESPECTABLE PLAYERS, WHO PLACE WELL, DO WELL etc etc are advocating for a ban or are unsure, when honestly, I bet you have less competitive experience than all of the names I've listed above; there's obviously a good REASON that is within REASON why he should be banned. They, who place well with or without meta knight, the supposibly "good players" who don't moan, say meta is too good. Many of the people saying No don't think he's too good, but out right disregarding the Yes' from respectable players makes you out as a fool.
Your argument killed itself. Outright disregarding the "No" from respectable players makes you out as a fool. See what I did there?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
No I did not miss it. But saying something even after saying the other argument is just as good is pointlessly contradictory.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
No I did not miss it. But saying something even after saying the other argument is just as good is pointlessly contradictory.
No, sorry, you're missing the point ****it. He was targeting people who believe that the pros are all in agreement that Mk shouldn't be banned.

Unless, he wasn't, then he's a fool, but that's not what I got from it. He didn't contradicting anything, hell, he was ACKNOWLEDGING both sides.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Was it directed to you? No it wasn't. If I did, I would've quoted you or singled you out.
Ah, my sincerest apologies. But you must notice that it seems a little strange for someone to come in and make a double entrende statement, especially in a different discussion.

bigman40

Smash Master
Ah, my sincerest apologies. But you must notice that it seems a little strange for someone to come in and make a double entrende statement, especially in a different discussion.
No. I don't see it as strange. Quotes are the main way to expressing who you're talking to. If you don't have someone quoted (or state their name), then it's assumed that the person is talking about the thread as a whole or something related to the thread.

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
Not that "caring" about the other player should matter, but looking into what a ban actually does might provide insight to some of the ban happy people here.

Honestly, what would you do if YOUR main was suddenly illegal in tournament play?
Exactly. I main him, and I'd be pissed if he were banned

And I'm pretty sure you'd be pissed if peach was banned.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
No, sorry, you're missing the point ****it. He was targeting people who believe that the pros are all in agreement that Mk shouldn't be banned.

Unless, he wasn't, then he's a fool, but that's not what I got from it. He didn't contradicting anything, hell, he was ACKNOWLEDGING both sides.
Well, he DID start off by listing pros who agreed with the ban, then he ended by saying you cannot disregard the "yes" from pros. Also, after the statement that we could make the opposite argument, he said "but", then he explained why the pro ban argument is good, using the pros as an example, saying that there must be reasons. Cross-examining his post, it looks to me like he's supporting pro-ban, and giving off pros as reasons, despite the fact he knows he can do the same.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
No. I don't see it as strange. Quotes are the main way to expressing who you're talking to. If you don't have someone quoted (or state their name), then it's assumed that the person is talking about the thread as a whole or something related to the thread.
Not necessarily. I have had to edit my posts with @whoever because of the fast moving nature of this thread. If you expect the person above to be above, you normally just talk to that person, saying no or such, but I digress.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Yes, however they still wouldn't expect it. Look at M2K's interview. He thought that banning MK was a stupid idea, and he doubted they'd do it.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Since I was mentioned I should add the fact that I do not really have trouble with the MK matchup at all, and acknowledge that his disappearance will mean more aggravating matchups for Wario, as more Falcos, D3s, and Marths will surface to replace MK, since MK isn't around to **** them.

EDIT: Is there any way to know who's voted in what way AFTER we've voted?

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I think id use someone else

anyone who mains MK should be prepared anyway. its not like there hasnt been almost a whole year worth of ban talk yet...
It's a subjective question of course - some people would just move on to secondaries, but there are a few purists, myself included, that would be devastated. Especially if these players were sure that there was nothing broken with there character to begin with.

It's not fair to have MKs make "back up plans" either. T___T

Anyway, the original point was that a ban is a massive ordeal and shouldn't be taken lightly in the least.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Since I was mentioned I should add the fact that I do not really have trouble with the MK matchup at all, and acknowledge that his disappearance will mean more aggravating matchups for Wario, as more Falcos, D3s, and Marths will surface to replace MK, since MK isn't around to **** them.

EDIT: Is there any way to know who's voted in what way AFTER we've voted?
Click the yes or no option. It should let you know who voted what.

TANK64

Smash Lord
He's the hands-down best character. There's no other reason to pick any other character other than personal preference.
Winners pick MK. MK wins tournaments.

I'm not saying he's broken or unbeatable, but there's not going to be any advancement in the game other than more Metaknight.
The truth- enough said.

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman

Most of those u mentioned above im sure i can beat them does that makes me more exp than other lol . But yes many are in favor of banning MK and most of the people who wants MK are those who main him and are getting profits out of tournaments.

Yes, however they still wouldn't expect it. Look at M2K's interview. He thought that banning MK was a stupid idea, and he doubted they'd do it.
Of course M2K is after the money if I were him I would be in his position. If u remember the early days of brawl when everyone thought DDD was the beast M2K changed from marth to DDD in no time. Then after that he started to have problems so he changed to MK.

Look at the join date of many people around here in the boards, they have only played bawwwl they have no real exp in real fighting game much less have real exp. to make decisions.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
So... are we just running this poll until more people vote "No" on the Meta Knight ban, or what?

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
It's not fair that low tier characters have to use back-ups either but nobody who matters is complaining about that.
That's... kinda faulty reasoning...

I mean, at least they still have the choice of using that low tier. >____>

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
I haven't voted yet. Somebody persuade me to choose a side :p

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Isn't that not the same risks that players who go MK take up on in playing their character, knowing people talk about him getting a ban? Why are people going to complain if they were informed and knew it would happen (if it does)?

And apparently I have nothing else to do, so I lied, and here I am.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
So... are we just running this poll until more people vote "No" on the Meta Knight ban, or what?
no. we are leaving it open for a set amount of time. We have had 3 polls so far. They would not have been created if we didnt think metaknight is a problem.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Isn't that not the same risks that players who go MK take up on in playing their character, knowing people talk about him getting a ban?
Wha...? Low tiers don't have that problem.

Why are people going to complain if they were informed and knew it would happen (if it does)?
Because some MKs believe it's ludicrous for their character to be banned, and they trust that the higher and better-understanding powers ultimately believe the same.

There are some people who honestly don't believe MK breaks the game.

if they want to win they have no choice in the matter. You MUST use a secondary if you are going to use a low tier.
No, there's still, and forever will be, that chance of winning; it's just very unlikely. Simply, a banned MK never has that chance to begin with.

I haven't voted yet. Somebody persuade me to choose a side :p
One fact I know to be true: a ban is the last possible resort.

From that, I ask, are we to the point that we need to push that doomsday button? Has MK been proven*, beyond any shadow of a doubt, to break Super Smash Brothers Brawl?

I really need to emphasize "proven" - as in, every counter argument against the ban holds absolutely no water. Once those arguments are settled however, sure ban the ***** - I hate the little ****ing ****er too.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
no. we are leaving it open for a set amount of time. We have had 3 polls so far. They would not have been created if we didnt think metaknight is a problem.
You misunderstood my question. The results of all three of these polls haven't changed significantly. SBRB (in typical fashion) has ignored all three of the polls. There's really no point in repeatedly running the same poll over and over again, especially if the results don't change and are ignored anyway. It's just an excuse to continue bickering.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Your argument killed itself. Outright disregarding the "No" from respectable players makes you out as a fool. See what I did there?
Just because they're respectable players doesn't mean they know whats best. Just because someone's better than you doesn't mean they're smarter than you. (actual tournament experience does help quite a bit though).

auroreon

Smash Ace
You misunderstood my question. The results of all three of these polls haven't changed significantly. SBRB (in typical fashion) has ignored all three of the polls. There's really no point in repeatedly running the same poll over and over again, especially if the results don't change and are ignored anyway. It's just an excuse to continue bickering.
Don't be so quick to assume that the results of these polls don't make a difference. Just because they haven't changed anything doesn't mean they have been futile.
Im sure the SBR takes these polls into consideration when deciding on the best course of action for this situation, its just that their decision has been (so far) not to ban MK.
Banning is the absolute last resort. You only ban a character if he ruins the game for other characters.
So when the SBR comes to a desision they do take these polls into serious consideration, its just that the results of these polls are not the only factor they use in reaching a desision. The result of these polls is just another factor in the desision making process, and so far the factors that are against the ban on MK have been greater than those (including the polls) for the ban.

Oh and btw, Im still on the fence about the ban. I believe that something deffinatly has to be done about MK, we cannot just leave things how they are because he DOES break the game currently. But a ban maybe a bit of an extreme measure.
When you ban a character you are forcing all MetaKnight mains to choose another character and that isn't fair. I think before you ban MK, it would be better to think of a way of putting him at a disadvantage to counteract his advantage over other characters. Nerf him, I don't know how but hounestly if it can be done it should be because banning is the absolute extreme and should be avoided at all costs.
That said, if some other arangement cannot be implemented and we are forced between banning MK or just leaving things how they are.... I am in favour of the ban. MK is broken.

If Brawl+ was taken in the direction of merely being a balancing patch to make the characters more even by adjusting their propeties and moves instead of just being a way to play a Meleesque game in Brawl maybe it wouldn't be such a problem.
I would be much in favour of using codes to alter MK and nerf him slightly over flat out banning him. But people still seem to have a problem with the idea of "hacking" their game... they still give it this irrational stigma.
Sorry to bring up Brawl+...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom