• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? ***Take 3***

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Banning MK will create more diversity, but so would banning Snake. While MKs points on Ankoku's list is almost double Snake's, Snake's points is more than double D3s. According to the whole diversity argument, banning Snake is also beneficial to tournament diversity.
Banning MK will also hurt Snake, MK shuts down some of Snake's worst matchups and Snake has only done so well because of how close to even he is with MK.

Banning Snake would only improve MK by removing one of his close to even matchups, it would not improve diversity.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Banning Snake would be stupid.

He CLEARLY HAS BAD MATCHUPS lol.

Banning Snake would not improve diversity IMO. The characters he beats already lose pretty bad to someone else (G&W loses to Marth already, IC's lose to G&W and others, etc). Banning Snake makes Marth a bit more useful really. Aside from that, no one would noticeable go up/share spots with other characters.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Salabo, not only am I not arguing that Snake should be banned, but that's assuming that MK is also banned as well. If MK was banned, what's stopping Snake from being banned; he'd bring in more tournament diversity because as it stands, he has over twice the points as the next person on Ankoku's list.

Snake nor MK should be banned, I was just arguing against that "bringing diversity" argument.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
also while u do have valid points metas the only one who has even been CONSIDERED for a ban if hes considered for a ban hes probably banable think about that
Lots of things are considered for a ban by less credible and intelligent people. Women's right to vote was "banned" for quite some time, for example. Doesn't make them bannable. Think about that.

yea this is when every character (exept samus) had a sheild breaker and 0-death combo on everyone same situation
But now you're cheating. A lot of people use "MK has no bad match-ups" as an argument for banning him, as if that alone or in conjunction to other arguments is enough for a ban. But it is not. Because if we're going to contextualize Pikachu's situation in SSB64, we also have to contextualize MK's in SSBB.

And, no, MK does not destroy the rest of the cast that very badly. There, context > pro-ban side.
Banning MK will also hurt Snake, MK shuts down some of Snake's worst matchups and Snake has only done so well because of how close to even he is with MK.

Banning Snake would only improve MK by removing one of his close to even matchups, it would not improve diversity.
And with Meta Knight gone, there's no reason to not main Marth since Marth has only two disadvantageous match-ups, both of which suffer several disadvantageous match-ups more than he does, some of them more severe than Marth's against D3 and Snake (Marth's disadvantageous match-ups). And people would flock to Marth. And Marth would start taking one jillion tournaments.

Because there'd be no reason not to main Marth since everyone else suffers worse match-ups than him. The best one could hope for is for people to main Marth and have someone else as a secondary for his two disadavantageous match-ups, one of which is a measely 45:55, which hardly necessitates a secondary.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Avarice Panda, Snake would not be banned if MK is banned.

He would not bring in more tournament diversity, he would only make Marth a little bit better, G&W a little safer, and really that's about it.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
This Dekar guy is really hurting the pro-ban side of the argument

I think he's secretly an agent who's anti-ban!

:flame:
Nah. He'd be helping us set up our points much better than this, by saying things that most people on Pro-Ban naturally say.
:flame:

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Snake doesn't have anything worse than like 55/45 on some stages in certain cases, lol... He's stupid.

"Bad match-ups" don't really exist for him.

He's stupid and gay and broken and a cheater.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Actually, if Metaknight were banned, I seriously doubt Snake would be up for top grabs. I'd say Marth and Game and Watch will all compete with Snake for it.

Snake does have bad matchups.
Ask any snake who has played Co18, Fogo, or Atmosk.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
People wouldn't flock to Marth. He still wouldn't be a fantastic character. He's clearly worse than multiple characters, even with MK gone. Two disadvantageous matchups (outside of MK) is also highly debatable.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Snake doesn't have anything worse than like 55/45 on some stages in certain cases, lol... He's stupid.

"Bad match-ups" don't really exist for him.

He's stupid and gay and broken and a cheater.
Snake vs Wario on Brinstar.

Snake vs MK on Delfino.

Snake vs Wario/MK/Gay character that runs a lot on Rainbow Cruise.

Those are all worse than 55/45. He doesn't have a buttload of bad matchups, but they are definitely there.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
People wouldn't flock to Marth. He still wouldn't be a fantastic character. He's clearly worse than multiple characters, even with MK gone. Two disadvantageous matchups (outside of MK) is also highly debatable.
Please name the characters which enjoy better match-ups than Marth 8with MK gone). Also, name all of these hidden disadvantageous match-ups of his.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Please name the characters which enjoy better match-ups than Marth 8with MK gone). Also, name all of these hidden disadvantageous match-ups of his.
Marth loses to Snake on the majority of stages. He loses to Dedede on a smaller amount of stages than Snake but still a fair list. He CAN lose to Wario on really good Wario counter picks if the Wario plays a hit and run game, examples of this include Jungle Japes and Rainbow Cruise, possibly Frigate, Distant Planet, Castle Siege, Delfino, possibly Halberd, and a few more. Ice Climbers beat him on half of the neutrals, not so sure how they do on a lot of the CP stages.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Marth would NOT take over tournaments with MK gone lol. That's absurd.

He has bad matchups against two of the top characters in the game. And, unlike MK, it is very difficult to use Marth effectively at a high level. A good Snake will crush a good Marth. A great Marth would still have a disadvantage against a good Snake.

Roy_R/NEO beat good Snakes :p

Yeah, I think Snake vs. Marth is way in favor of Snake. Sue me.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Marth loses to Snake on the majority of stages. He loses to Dedede on a smaller amount of stages than Snake but still a fair list. He CAN lose to Wario on really good Wario counter picks if the Wario plays a hit and run game, examples of this include Jungle Japes and Rainbow Cruise, possibly Frigate, Distant Planet, Castle Siege, Delfino, possibly Halberd, and a few more. Ice Climbers beat him on half of the neutrals, not so sure how they do on a lot of the CP stages.
This and I also think DK beats Marth and some of Marth's 60/40's are probably closer to even.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Eh IDK about DK, I mean I know a lot of Marth's think he is bad but really Marth's OOS game vs DK is sick, not to mention DK has a lot of trouble with juggle traps against Marth and he does have to worry about recovery with good edge guarding game. But maybe that is just me.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
@DMG: I guess...but I don't think it's that bad. I still think he's #2 overall.

@Marth stuff: I think he loses to ROB, DK, MK, Snake, and Dedede, and he sucks on many stages...so he won't be anywhere near the best with MK gone.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Marth would NOT take over tournaments with MK gone lol. That's absurd.

He has bad matchups against two of the top characters in the game. And, unlike MK, it is very difficult to use Marth effectively at a high level. A good Snake will crush a good Marth. A great Marth would still have a disadvantage against a good Snake.
This. A lot of people could pick up MK and start placing at least slightly better. To do so with Marth requires quite a bit more skill and practice. Marth has like...weaknesses, and stuff.

Why is this debate still going on? @_@
just don't ban him...jeez..

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I also think DK beats Marth and some of Marth's 60/40's are probably closer to even.
What part of "Which of his match-ups are disadvantageous" sounded like "Which of his advantageous matchups are closer to even"? I disagree on DK vs. Marth, though.

With MK gone, it is my opinion that Marth would be in possession of the least disadvantageous match-ups, thus, if one wishes to go for the path with the least disadavantageous match-ups, one would go for Marth, even if Marth does not overall have the best match-ups in the game with MK gone (it's the same thing as Yun vs. Chun in 3S).

If people don't flock to Marth, then they would flock to the character with the best overall match-ups in terms of checks and balances. Either way, there'd be flocking somewhere and no one would be able to stop it because it's just human nature to look for the easiest path to victory.

I don't personally think Marth would be the character people will flock to, I just put it up as a hypothetical example.

Marth loses to Snake on the majority of stages. He loses to Dedede on a smaller amount of stages than Snake but still a fair list.
Didn't I just state specifically that Marth suffers disadvantageous match-ups from Snake and D3?

He CAN lose to Wario on really good Wario counter picks if the Wario plays a hit and run game, examples of this include Jungle Japes and Rainbow Cruise, possibly Frigate, Distant Planet, Castle Siege, Delfino, possibly Halberd, and a few more.
He "can" lose to Wario? What does that even mean?

Ice Climbers beat him on half of the neutrals, not so sure how they do on a lot of the CP stages.
They do? This is the first I've heard of this.
Why is this debate still going on? @_@
just don't ban him...jeez..
Because a lot of people are too lazy to actually try to become good at the game and instead just try to get stuff they don't like banned.

And unfortunately for the rest of us, those people number quite a few. And unfortunately for the rest of us, the SBR has to remain all neutral and give both sides fair space for debate and all of the bull**** democracy imposes on us.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
A lot of Marths feel the DK and ROB matches are dead even, possibly even a slight advantage over DK.

MK ***** him hard though, while he would still certainly have two disadvantaged match ups, MK is the ceiling that prevents Marth from ever being a character that can win tournaments.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
I'm thinking about being pro-ban. Before I commit myself, I want to know something.

If a character has no disadvantaged matchups, then what is keeping the player attrition rate [players switching from a lower tier main to maining MK] from concentrating the metagame?

I keep hearing about character X mains switching to MK. I never hear about MK mains switching to another character.

I understand that against DK, DDD is the better choice vs playing as MK. But what about when there aren't anymore DK players because they've switched to MK?

From a competitive gaming perspective, is there anything wrong with an MK-only metagame?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yuna, when I say Wario CAN beat Marth on some of the larger stages, I mean that normally with a Wario "approaching" a lot, initiating battle, etc. He would lose. However if he plays extremely campy with a lead, he can win against Marth on a lot of stages, mostly really large stages or stages that are overall amazing for Wario anyways. So Wario can beat Marth on some stages, he just has to play really gay/campy.

Yes IC's have the advantage on FD and Smashville (might be even on Smashville, dunno IC players differentiate a lot on their opinion on this stage), while stages like Battle Field and YI are probably even or Marth's favor. A stage like PS1 or Lylat/other neutral would maybe be in IC's favor or even.

I also named Snake and Dedede because you said Marth doesn't have more than 2 bad matchups, so I went ahead and stated the more obvious ones and added ones that were more subtle, bringing the total over 2.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
What part of "Which of his match-ups are disadvantageous" sounded like "Which of his advantageous matchups are closer to even"? I disagree on DK vs. Marth, though.

With MK gone, it is my opinion that Marth would be in possession of the least disadvantageous match-ups, thus, if one wishes to go for the path with the least disadavantageous match-ups, one would go for Marth, even if Marth does not overall have the best match-ups in the game with MK gone (it's the same thing as Yun vs. Chun in 3S).

If people don't flock to Marth, then they would flock to the character with the best overall match-ups in terms of checks and balances. Either way, there'd be flocking somewhere and no one would be able to stop it because it's just human nature to look for the easiest path to victory.
Well, it would go like this:

"That Snake in my region is really good! He counters my (let's say) Marth, so I'm going to pick up DDD as a secondary to deal with him."

"Wow, he can beat my Snake with DDD! I should pick up Falco as a secondary, to beat his DDD"

"His Falco is beast. I should pick up Game and Watch..." etc. etc.

I thought that the main point of banning MK was that he had no bad matchups. With him out of the picture, the new best character in the game has bad matchups. Ergo, I don't think that players will flock to a single character once MK is out of the picture, as there is no single character on the almighty level that MK is on.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yuna, when I say Wario CAN beat Marth on some of the larger stages, I mean that normally with a Wario "approaching" a lot, initiating battle, etc. He would lose. However if he plays extremely campy with a lead, he can win against Marth on a lot of stages, mostly really large stages or stages that are overall amazing for Wario anyways. So Wario can beat Marth on some stages, he just has to play really gay/campy.
Yes, and what does this have to do with his overall match-up against Marth? If he plays really campy on some really big stages, he can win? Wow. Amazing.

Yes IC's have the advantage on FD and Smashville (might be even on Smashville, dunno IC players differentiate a lot on their opinion on this stage), while stages like Battle Field and YI are probably even or Marth's favor. A stage like PS1 or Lylat/other neutral would maybe be in IC's favor or even.
This =/= ICs beat Marth (i.e., ICs have an advantageous match-up against Marth).

I also named Snake and Dedede because you said Marth doesn't have more than 2 bad matchups, so I went ahead and stated the more obvious ones and added ones that were more subtle, bringing the total over 2.
Using fallacious logic.

Well, it would go like this:

"That Snake in my region is really good! He counters my (let's say) Marth, so I'm going to pick up DDD as a secondary to deal with him."

"Wow, he can beat my Snake with DDD! I should pick up Falco as a secondary, to beat his DDD"

"His Falco is beast. I should pick up Game and Watch..." etc. etc.

I thought that the main point of banning MK was that he had no bad matchups. With him out of the picture, the new best character in the game has bad matchups. Ergo, I don't think that players will flock to a single character once MK is out of the picture, as there is no single character on the almighty level that MK is on.
Which brings me back to what I stated earlier, oh, a page or so back:
The best you can hope for is people flocking to one character and maybe picking up a secondary for their 55:45s or 60:40s. And IMO, 55:45s are hardly worth picking up secondaries for (and very few people do for such even match-ups). So it'd be flocking to one and picking up a secondary from a small pool of candidates.

For some, that's worth banning MK for.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
*Takes a bow*
None of that was needed considering that you already knew that there was another draft, and you just wasted everyone's time that read your post. Quite the illogical choice, no?

Please link me to this new draft since I just proved Eyada's original draft fallacious.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7290422&postcount=3901

Please keep in mind that the idea is to create something that snuffs out future disputes without having to go to debate. If you don't think the idea works at all, you could always try making some criteria yourself.

Yes. Yes, it was.

Where was the logic in saying it? I didn't see it.

Edit: It would be appreciated if you sent your rebuttal to Eyada via PM. I'm sure he would like the input.

Edit2: NM, hes already here, lol.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I'm thinking about being pro-ban. Before I commit myself, I want to know something.

If a character has no disadvantaged matchups, then what is keeping the player attrition rate [players switching from a lower tier main to maining MK] from concentrating the metagame?

I keep hearing about character X mains switching to MK. I never hear about MK mains switching to another character.

I understand that against DK, DDD is the better choice vs playing as MK. But what about when there aren't anymore DK players because they've switched to MK?

From a competitive gaming perspective, is there anything wrong with an MK-only metagame?
i would need to consider this a lot before responding.

Because on one hand, a game where no person can abuse something the other can is balanced, but it also boils down into a rock paper siczor match up, which are neither fun to play nor fun to watch.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yes, and what does this have to do with his overall match-up against Marth? If he plays really campy on some really big stages, he can win? Wow. Amazing.
You said Marth only had two bad matchups. Marth can lose to a lot more than just 2 characters depending on the stage.

This =/= ICs beat Marth (i.e., ICs have an advantageous match-up against Marth).
It really depends. Some Marth players think Marth loses, while some IC's players think IC's lose. It depends a lot on the stage too.

Using fallacious logic.
My point is you said he had only 2 bad matchups, so I started naming them off, starting with the most commonly perceived bad matchups he has and then adding on to it.

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
Edit: Holy ****. Two pages worth of posts were made while I was typing this. :/

However, my claim that we do not ban things to maximize diversity still stands, as this is an absolute truth. Because if we did, i.e., if we banned things if them being banned results in a more diverse metagame than before the ban went into effect, we'd ban a lot of characters.
If we wanted to maximize diversity, we'd ban even more characters than Meta Knight and stages than those which are already banned.
Just to clarify, which characters are you talking about here? Please list all of them.

Therefore, we do not ban things to maximize diversity at all! No, this is not true! We ban things which on their own severely limit diversity. This is why we've banned certain tactics (pretty much all of them of the stalling variety) and stages. Because if we allow them, then there would be a severe limitation of diversity.
Also, I've been saying this since literally January last year when the "Ban D3's infinite!"-debacle broke out. And what I said then and what I am saying now (the exact same thing) still stands as factual. No, we do not ban things to maximize anything. We ban things which severely limit things.
Ah yes, Sirlin's criteria. I love Playing to Win as well. I am a big fan of most of the ideas Sirlin has put into writing on his website.

In fact, my diversity argument is almost entirely based on ideas I encountered on Sirlin's website and in his book. My argument is a (non-obvious) logical evolution of some of Sirlin's ideas; the result of exploring and refining Sirlin's ban criteria to the furthest logical degree possible.

As such, I will respond to this point by asking a question that will help you begin the journey to realizing why Sirlin's arguments and criteria are really just the tip of the iceberg.

Simple question: You say that banning something which severely limits diversity is justified; Why? What is the rigorous, logical justification for that being a valid ban criteria?

Prove to me (and, more importantly, yourself) that something which severely limits diversity should be banned.

I assume that since you have a firm belief in the validity of that ban criteria, you will be able to provide the justification for why you have a firm belief in it. Your answer needn't be complex; I'm not trying to nit-pick or attack your ideas. My goal here is to help you realize some important truths about Sirlin's criteria that will allow you to see why my diversity argument is necessary and accurate.

Items fall under "Anti-Competitive" because they are random. Not to mention the vast majority of them are over-powered. Why are there no Shadow or Gold tournaments in Guilty Gear XX (pick an XX, any XX) except for ****s and giggles? Same thing. All items are still random at the end of the day, though.
This is another part of the puzzle that leads to the realization of my argument; and again, it is drawn from Sirlin's writing, I assume.

So, I will again ask a simple question that will get the process started:

Why are random things "anti-competitive"?

Again, your answer needn't be supremely complex. Just explain the justification for your belief that random things are "anti-competitive".

And if we're going to take things to the extreme, we're going to have to ban a truckload of more things if we want to ban for the sake of maximizing Competitive viability, most of them under the criteria of "Randomness". Hey, aren't Green Greens and Corneria actually a bit random as well? Well, if we're gonna ban things to maximize Competitive viability, i.e. minimize randomness, they need to go.
I am loathe to respond to this point, because I fear that the discussion it might spark will distract from the more important questions I asked earlier; however, the answer is brief so I will include it for the sake of completeness.

Bear in mind that banning Green Greens or Corneria is a loss of diversity. (And a fairly significant amount, given the large impact that stages have on match-ups in Brawl.) As such, the question becomes whether the "randomness" within these stages actually causes enough damage to diversity to warrant banning those stages.

And Turnip Pluck/Toss and Judgment Hammer and a few other techniques are quite random as well. Ban them or ban the characters which wield said moves!
Turnip Pluck and Judgment are not random according to my criteria, and, as such, do not warrant a ban. Again, I am hesitant to respond to this point because I fear it will distract from the more important questions I asked earlier, but I will leave this response in for the sake of completeness.

While the effect generated by Peach's Turnip Pluck and G&W's Judgment is random, the decision to perform the move is not. Peach will never randomly pluck a Turnip, and G&W will never randomly perform a Judgment Hammer; these moves are only introduced into the match if one of the players purposefully decides to perform the move. This distinction is important, and it is one of the things that separates these moves from items. Items are introduced into the match randomly, in a fashion completely outside the control of players; Peach and G&W's moves are introduced into the game only by player choice. Peach and G&W's moves are options that players can meaningfully decide to perform; as such, they are not "random" in the same way items are. Players cannot meaningfully decide for an item to appear or not appear, which means that items constitute an entirely different type of "random". (Items also have several other immensely damaging flaws that necessitate their banning by my criteria, but I don't want to dilute this post any more by discussing them right now.)

Well, guess what, Meta Knight is not the only character limiting diversity. In fact, there are several characters which reate 76-vs-79-situations whose solutions are "BAN!" according to "Least damaging to diversity". There are several characters which, if they were gone, will leave behind a metagame more diverse (i.e. maximum diversity!!!) than were they allowed a continued legality in the Competitive Brawl community.

So, in effect, according to Eyada's ban criteria, we have to ban, oh, a good 8 or so characters because with them gone, plenty more (well, more than 8) would become viable. And according to Eyada's assumption that we ban to maximize, even 9 vs. 8 is enough, nay, such a situation requires a ban, since we're, after all, going for maximum diversity!
Again, I will only ask that you list which characters in Brawl you are claiming would need to be banned under my criteria.

Once you have done so, a response will be much easier.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
None of that was needed considering that you already knew that there was another draft, and you just wasted everyone's time that read your post. Quite the illogical choice, no?
What, was I to assume the 2nd draft was entirely different? Also, you didn't link me to the 2nd draft, so I had nothing to go on. I worked with what I had. Congratulations for sounding antagonistic for absolutely no reason!

WTH, this is almost identical to the 1st draft, at least when it concerns the end part of it, which was the part I was replying to! And when I say almost identical, I mean it's pretty much 95% verbatim. The revision still asserts that we ban things to maximize diversity.

My entire argument in the post you just scoffed at argued against this very notion! So my reply still stands! Did you even read it before dismissing it for no reason?! Do you even read people's posts before replying to them in a denigrating manner?

See, I had respect for you and your debating style. Then you dismissed by entirely factual, logical and valid argument without even reading it (because if you did, you would've seen that it was factual, logical and valid)!

I can be condescending at times (well, most of the time), but at least I read what I reply to and scoff at!

Please keep in mind that the idea is to create something that snuffs out future disputes without having to go to debate. If you don't think the idea works at all, you could always try making some criteria yourself.
I already have. I've stated them time and again. They are the criteria we currently use for banning.

Unfortunately for the pro-ban side, they cannot be used to ban Meta Knight. Which is why they're trying to make up new criteria, almost all of which make **** up ("We ban things to maximize diversity!" - no we don't!) or force us to ban a truckload of things in addition to Meta Knight (what I just said) or quite possibly even contradict already established criteria (can't remember any at the moment, but there have been one or two of those).

The only reason why people are clamoring for new criteria is because they're so desperate for a ban, they figured the only way to ban Meta Knight is to change the rules of Competitive gaming banning.

Where was the logic in saying it? I didn't see it.
Combatting stupidity by pre-emptive strikes. If we mock certain arguments openly and repeatedly, eventually, people will be afraid of using them.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Salabo, not only am I not arguing that Snake should be banned, but that's assuming that MK is also banned as well. If MK was banned, what's stopping Snake from being banned; he'd bring in more tournament diversity because as it stands, he has over twice the points as the next person on Ankoku's list.

Snake nor MK should be banned, I was just arguing against that "bringing diversity" argument.
Snake is not always the safest character to choose when you don't know who your opponent is, Snake will not need banning even if MK gets banned.

This isn't a witch hunt just to take down the best character in the game, there was a reason nobody in Melee ever got banned.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
@Yuna: I was thinking of responding to your post, but thought better of it. Most of what I am thinking is something that should be limited to PMs. Just know that I apologize for the antagonism, it was indeed unwarranted.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just to clarify, which characters are you talking about here? Please list all of them.
S (obviously), A and large chunks of B. S and A would have to go, hands down. Some Bs are debatable.

Ah yes, Sirlin's criteria. I love Playing to Win as well. I am a big fan of most of the ideas Sirlin has put into writing on his website.
It happens to be the ban criteria almost every single Competitive gaming community in existence uses.

In fact, my diversity argument is almost entirely based on ideas I encountered on Sirlin's website and in his book. My argument is a (non-obvious) logical evolution of some of Sirlin's ideas; the result of exploring and refining Sirlin's ban criteria to the furthest logical degree possible.
"Ban anything which severely limit diversity" -> "Ban anything which will give us greater diversity if banned"

That's not evolution, that's *******ization.

Simple question: You say that banning something which severely limits diversity is justified; Why? What is the rigorous, logical justification for that being a valid ban criteria?
Because if something severely limits diversity, it is over-centralizing the metagame. The metagame is largely revolving around something. And this limitation must be by nature, not by choice.

You must be unable to pick other options and still stand a reasonable chance at victory, thus forcing you to pick Option, say, MK. If Option MK is so much better than all other options, you cannot win by choosing any option besides Option MK. If so, then it needs to be banned since the game is literally MK-only by nature and not because people just choose to play as MK.

If it is over-centralized simply by choice, then players still have the choice to use someone else.

I assume that since you have a firm belief in the validity of that ban criteria, you will be able to provide the justification for why you have a firm belief in it. Your answer needn't be complex; I'm not trying to nit-pick or attack your ideas. My goal here is to help you realize some important truths about Sirlin's criteria that will allow you to see why my diversity argument is necessary and accurate.
"Maximize diversity" will never be a true evolution of Sirlin's very moderaete criteria.

Why are random things "anti-competitive"?
Because randomness affects the results of a match through things entirely out of players' control unless they are psychic. They can read their opponents like a book, but still lose if the game just happens to decide to spawn the wrong item at the wrong time.

In the ring, there's only you and your opponent. You can see him/her. You know which weapons s/he wields. You can know the match-up inside out. But all of that can turn on its head if the game just happens to feel like spawning a Bob-Omb above your head while you're in the middle of performing a move other than an aerial (and the move must not have been started too long ago), a tilt or a jab (must occur simoultaneously as the spawning) in the right direction.

Therefore, randomness is anti-Competitive. Because it is out of the competitors' hands.

Bear in mind that banning Green Greens or Corneria is a loss of diversity. (And a fairly significant amount, given the large impact that stages have on match-ups in Brawl.) As such, the question becomes whether the "randomness" within these stages actually causes enough damage to diversity to warrant banning those stages.
You can tech on falling blocks, you can be killed by falling blocks (notably bombs), so, yeah, Green Greens is bannable, IMO. Corneria is a harder sell.

Turnip Pluck and Judgment are not random according to my criteria, and, as such, do not warrant a ban.
You must mean they aren't random enough. Because they are quite random.

While the effect generated by Peach's Turnip Pluck and G&W's Judgment is random, the decision to perform the move is not. Peach will never randomly pluck a Turnip, and G&W will never randomly perform a Judgment Hammer; these moves are only introduced into the match if one of the players purposefully decides to perform the move.
This does not matter.

If Peach plucks a turnip and it's a normal turnip, big whoops. If she plucks a turnip and it's actually a grand-father turnip, a Bob-Omb or a Beamsword, then it is a big whoop since all three of them can be used for very effective KO:ing and/or edgeguarding.

Now, according to the odds, you can go entire tournaments without picking up a single Bob-Omb or Beamsword (in a tournament match). However, I happen to pick up an average of, oh, 3 grandfather turnips per set. Depending on the tournament, that number might actually be 4-5. (This is all in Melee)

Is this fair? Is it fair that the person who faces X-Peach who is of roughly equal skill level tech-wise and mindgame-wise in comparison to me has to face 2 less grand-father turnips, one less Bob-Omb and one less Beamsword than the person who has to face me (both of these hypothetical players being of roughly equal skill level) at the exact same point in the brackets?

Chance is basically giving Player B (the one who is facing me) a handicap. A player can lose a game by simply having to face plenty more items coming out of Peach than another game where the same thing doesn't happen... and it does happen that players lose due to this.

This distinction is important, and it is one of the things that separates these moves from items. Items are introduced into the match randomly, in a fashion completely outside the control of players; Peach and G&W's moves are introduced into the game only by player choice.
The choice of one player. The other player cannot do anything besides simply not giving them the chance to use the moves in question, though this is nigh impossible.

And keep in mind that the person playing has no control over the randomness whatsoever. Whoever is using Peach's Down B or G&W's Over B has absolutely no direct control over whether or not the game will give them the desired effect.

Yes, the moves work differently from items. But they are still random. One could argue that items aren't random at all since their spawning is the only thing that is random about them. Once an item has spawned, you will know exactly what it will do (except for the ones with multiple effects, such as Pokéballs). With Peach's Down B and Mr. Game & Watch's Over B, when they "spawn" is not random, but their effect is.

You can get hit by G&W's Over B and not die and come back and win a match yet get hit by it and die from a 9 in another instance and instantly lose the match. And it would have been random.
Peach and G&W's moves are options that players can meaningfully decide to perform; as such, they are not "random" in the same way items are. Players cannot meaningfully decide for an item to appear or not appear, which means that items constitute an entirely different type of "random". (Items also have several other immensely damaging flaws that necessitate their banning by my criteria, but I don't want to dilute this post any more by discussing them right now.)
The items-part of the post was not directed at you, so there's no reason why you should address it as we're in agreement with their banning.

Again, I will only ask that you list which characters in Brawl you are claiming would need to be banned under my criteria.
See above. If you want, I could specify which characters in B-tier need to go. But seriously, no one can, with a straight face, argue against the fact that S and A has to go.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
You said Marth only had two bad matchups. Marth can lose to a lot more than just 2 characters depending on the stage.
So? Are you saying Peach is a bad match-up for Fox in Melee because Brinstar happens to be an excellent anti-Fox counterpick and a pretty good Peach stage, ergo, Peach is a disadvantageous match-up for Fox?

This =/= That

Snake is not always the safest character to choose when you don't know who your opponent is, Snake will not need banning even if MK gets banned.

This isn't a witch hunt just to take down the best character in the game, there was a reason nobody in Melee ever got banned.
This is not what was being argued. What was being argued is that Snake limits diversity greatly. Thus, banning Snake, a single character, would bring in more diversity (more than 1 character).

Thus, if we're going for maximizing diversity, Snake has to go. And so do others. Like, say, King DeDeDe. Or Mr. Game & Watch. Or Falco for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom