• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? **Take 2** (Post-podcast)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RDK

Smash Hero
Are you making a big deal out of the tiers?
The tiers are a big deal. I don't see what the problem is here.

Tiers are a big deal in any fighting game. If there were no tiers, all the characters would be equal, which is obviously not the case.

Yes, because his only counter is not tourny viable so he has no counter now. :(
AND SONIC WAS AN 80:20(mk favored) COUNTER TOO.

:093:
I wish Sonic was an 80:20. Perhaps in the Land of Things That Will Never Happen, Ever he might be an 80:20.

Groovy Kong

Smash Cadet

Tiers are a big deal in any fighting game. If there were no tiers, all the characters would be equal, which is obviously not the case.

You don't understand, tiers are pointless. Tiers are made to basically troll every smasher out there. Anyone can beat any character it all depends on skill. I played as Yoshi (which is somewhere in the 30s in the tiers list, right?) and i was against a Meta Knight player (at no. 1in the tiers) a Snake player (no. 2) and a Falco player (no. 5) and guess what. I BEAT THEM. So shut up, your pointless tier ***gotry means nothing.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
sonic MK is (or at least was) an 80:20 matchup...
just in mks favor.

but since then, we did a ****e load of research and got it down to 65-35

at the above post..
the fact that you beat your scrub friends does not change the fact that yoshi is a bad character, and as a matter of fact, tiers mean absolutely nothing in individual matchups. yoshi actually has a decent match against MK and snake (even though falco I THINK ***** him) the position on the tier list is just an amalgamtion of the combined matchups, tourney results and individual moveset analysis for each character

p.s. i will do the A-Town stomp on your yoshi with any of the previously mentioned characters, along with many others

viparagon

Smash Ace

You don't understand, tiers are pointless. Tiers are made to basically troll every smasher out there. Anyone can beat any character it all depends on skill. I played as Yoshi (which is somewhere in the 30s in the tiers list, right?) and i was against a Meta Knight player (at no. 1in the tiers) a Snake player (no. 2) and a Falco player (no. 5) and guess what. I BEAT THEM. So shut up, your pointless tier ***gotry means nothing.
you go girl!

RDK

Smash Hero
I'm not even sure this is worth responding to. Oh well, here goes.

You don't understand, tiers are pointless.
No they're not. You know nothing about competitive gaming. Honestly, why are you even posting in this thread? You're worse than Brinboy.

Tiers are made to basically troll every smasher out there.
Tiers are made to determine, within a certain range of accuracy, each character's potential standing in a ranking system. It has nothing to do with trolling and everything to do with increasing our knowledge of the game.

Anyone can beat any character it all depends on skill.
This is true.

I played as Yoshi (which is somewhere in the 30s in the tiers list, right?) and i was against a Meta Knight player (at no. 1in the tiers) a Snake player (no. 2) and a Falco player (no. 5) and guess what. I BEAT THEM.
This argument has been used so many times I cannot even begin to tell you how stupid you sound right now.

TL ; DR reply: nobody gives a flying **** whether or not you beat your scrubbly little circle of 5 friends, who all used MK, with a Yoshi. Nobody cares. Not one person.

What people do care about is tournament results.

So shut up, your pointless tier ***gotry means nothing.
Other people besides myself probably beg to differ.

Groovy Kong

Smash Cadet
I'm not even sure this is worth responding to. Oh well, here goes.

No they're not. You know nothing about competitive gaming. Honestly, why are you even posting in this thread? You're worse than Brinboy.

Tiers are made to determine, within a certain range of accuracy, each character's potential standing in a ranking system. It has nothing to do with trolling and everything to do with increasing our knowledge of the game.

This is true.

This argument has been used so many times I cannot even begin to tell you how stupid you sound right now.

TL ; DR reply: nobody gives a flying **** whether or not you beat your scrubbly little circle of 5 friends, who all used MK, with a Yoshi. Nobody cares. Not one person.

What people do care about is tournament results.

Other people besides myself probably beg to differ.

I can't believe you went through all that trouble just because of those crappy tiers. All i said was 'i hate tiers' and you immediatly get into the nerdgasm-mobile and try so much to prove me wrong. *Sigh* Douchebaggish member is Douchebaggish.

RDK

Smash Hero
I can't believe you went through all that trouble just because of those crappy tiers. All i said was 'i hate tiers' and you immediatly get into the nerdgasm-mobile and try so much to prove me wrong. *Sigh* Douchebaggish member is Douchebaggish.
That took me about 5 seconds to write, but whatever. Rejoin the millions.

GofG

Smash Champion
I used to be all like "Bawwwwwwww don't ban him, banning is LAST RESORT" then i was all like "if you ignore all sirlinic principles and just look at this situation, isolated, we should ban him." Now I simply think he isn't broken.

Also, Groovyking, do you know how many competitive videogames out there with tier lists?

http://treefire.wetfish.net/games.txt

^^^that many. And many more, that's just when i stopped researching it.

Out of all of those games, do you know how many have had actual members of the community dispute the existence of the tier list for that game?

Two. Melee and Brawl.

How does that make you feel?

RDK

Smash Hero
I used to be all like "Bawwwwwwww don't ban him, banning is LAST RESORT" then i was all like "if you ignore all sirlinic principles and just look at this situation, isolated, we should ban him." Now I simply think he isn't broken.
I love how Sirlinism is like a religion now.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
theres a big difference between "i hate tiers" and "tiers are meaningless" the latter was your first comment so you shouldnt be getting your panties in a bunch just because RDK decided to learn you up on video games. dont get mad cause yoshi is bad, just admit that he isnt as good as snake and MK even though your personal skill is enough to overcome this when playing with your trash tier friends...
@RDK
as long as you consider abortion, gay marriage, and catholicism in a mk banning thread "decent"

Groovy Kong

Smash Cadet
You're getting banned for being a complete ****** and bring your idiocy into an otherwise decent thread.
You can shut it. I just wanted to make a point. You're just argueing because you worship the tiers

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Ah, dang, I need to catch up on the sonic MK stuff then, lol. I still go by the old ratios if the match up hasn't been discussed in the Character match up thread yet. Dx

Groovy King, flaming and being naive and continue to be ignorant does not help you become better in anyway in any thing. Just accept the tier list and do better yourself, like KID said.

:093:

Groovy Kong

Smash Cadet
Alright, *sigh* stop your *****ing. Calm down. Take a deep breath.

I'm sorry, i just don't think the tiers are good.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Alright, *sigh* stop your *****ing. Calm down. Take a deep breath.

I'm sorry, i just don't think the tiers are good.
none of us actually agree with the current tier list but we know what its there for.

i suggest you find the tier list thread and read the first post

GofG

Smash Champion
When you say "Good", what do you mean?

They harm competitive play by causing polarization of character choice?

Or do you believe the current tier list to be wrong?

Or do you believe that all that really matters is the person using the character?

Groovy Kong

Smash Cadet

Also, Groovyking, do you know how many competitive videogames out there with tier lists?

http://treefire.wetfish.net/games.txt

^^^that many. And many more, that's just when i stopped researching it.

Out of all of those games, do you know how many have had actual members of the community dispute the existence of the tier list for that game?

Two. Melee and Brawl.

How does that make you feel?
Once again, i really don't care about the tiers. It's all about skill, not someone's opinion

Groovy Kong

Smash Cadet
When you say "Good", what do you mean?

They harm competitive play by causing polarization of character choice?

Or do you believe the current tier list to be wrong?

Or do you believe that all that really matters is the person using the character?
Well i'm not sure. Say you're really good with Sonic (who's low in the tiers) and terrible with Meta Knight (you know where he is) and people make fun of you because you use low tier characters. That's what i'm getting at, people think that you're better playing with the higher tier characters when you're fine playing as whoever the hell you're best with.

Once again, it's all based on skilled, not opinion.

And what's your name, um... RDK? You said something about it all matters about the tourneys right? Well Tourneys... are in fact really terrible. All the good stages are banned and you're left with the **** ones, eg. Final Destination. I understand why items were banned, now you're trying to ban certain characters.

I sorry if i offended any tiers worshippers but thats all i really have to to say. Lets get back onto the topic shall we?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Well i'm not sure. Say you're really good with Sonic (who's low in the tiers) and terrible with Meta Knight (you know where he is) and people make fun of you because you use low tier characters. That's what i'm getting at, people think that you're better playing with the higher tier characters when you're fine playing as whoever the hell you're best with.
Uh, duh? Obviously people play with the character they're best with, but it's easier to reach a tournament level with higher tiers because they have intrinsically better qualities than the lower tiers. Tiers are an evaluation of how good a character might be, and though there are people out there who can turn trash into treasure, it's not nearly everyone.

Once again, it's all based on skilled, not opinion.
Make more sense plz

And what's your name, um... RDK? You said something about it all matters about the tourneys right? Well Tourneys... are in fact really terrible. All the good stages are banned and you're left with the **** ones, eg. Final Destination. I understand why items were banned, now you're trying to ban certain characters.
Everyone strikes Final Destination. >_>

I don't even see why it's a bad stage. I mean, it's boring to play on, but at least it isn't New Pork City.

I sorry if i offended any tiers worshippers but thats all i really have to to say. Lets get back onto the topic shall we?
Tier worshippers lolol. More like you're part of that circle-jerking TR4Q group.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
1.Player skill is not fctored into the debate. Those who believe MK is WOMG broken usually aren't intelligent enough to provide good reasoning. In short, stop addressing stupid people.

2. Name these characters that are definitely nuetral. MK is simplistic, not predictable though.

3. No there aren't and the slippery slope arguments was killed ages ago.

4.You're no necromancer =p
no one's factoring player skill. it requires a change up of your game. just like one of the key reasons olimar isn't higher on the list is because he is beaten easier when you adjust your game to into one focused around getting the edgehog. its not player skill, its HOW you fight the character.

MK is predictable. every MK approaches with fair and tries to mindgame you into getting hit by d-smash. every MK uses glide attack whenever they're anywhere near you after up b.

no one killed any slippery slope arguments. just you saying they were killed doesn't make them killed. mr. game and watch is just as bad as MK, lots of people say that snake is just as bad if not worse (although i disagree),
banning MK is going to have no affect on the game really, its going to be the same game with the same people winning. that's why it makes no sense to ban him.

snake beats MK, diddy goes even with MK, lucario is almost even with MK, kirby is almost even with MK, yoshi is arguable even with MK

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
MK is predictable. every MK approaches with fair and tries to mindgame you into getting hit by d-smash.
It's not much of a mindgame if he does it every time. And these are cases of the player being predictable, not hte character.

every MK uses glide attack whenever they're anywhere near you after up b.
Again, player predictability, not character predictability.

no one killed any slippery slope arguments. just you saying they were killed doesn't make them killed. mr. game and watch is just as bad as MK, lots of people say that snake is just as bad if not worse (although i disagree),
G&W has heavily unfavorable matchups. Meta Knight does not. I don't even know what you're getting at here.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
It's not much of a mindgame if he does it every time. And these are cases of the player being predictable, not hte character.

Again, player predictability, not character predictability.
if you consistently get hit by d-smash, you aren't good at this game. MK has very little winddown lag on almost all of his moves, and the only reason you would continue to get hit by d-smash is if you try to punish MK like a ****** in instances where your move wont come out faster than his d-smash. don't ban a character because you suck

No, the only reason this thread exists is because people don't know how to deal with fair, d-smash, and glide attack (and possibly tornado). THAT'S mk'S WHOLE GAME. all things being equal you can't win with metaknight without spamming d-smash, you can't with metaknight without spamming fair. its not the player, its the character, because that's how you play the character

you HAVE to glide attack after up b. you can not avoid doing it unless you want to be fully charged forward smash. MK has no other options out of up b. its the character, not the player

G&W has heavily unfavorable matchups. Meta Knight does not. I don't even know what you're getting at here.
lol g&w doesn't have any heavily unfavorable matchups, he's a couple of tough ones, and so does metaknight
if he had so many bad matchups he's wouldn't be top tier

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
if you consistently get hit by d-smash, you aren't good at this game. MK has very little winddown lag on almost all of his moves, and the only reason you would continue to get hit by d-smash is if you try to punish MK like a ****** in instances where your move wont come out faster than his d-smash. don't ban a character because you suck
I don't believe I made clear where I stand on this whole thing, but it's pretty cool of you to assume I'm for the ban just because I disagree with you. Yeah, it's also pretty cool that you think I suck since you think I'm for the ban.

No, the only reason this thread exists is because people don't know how to deal with fair, d-smash, and glide attack (and possibly tornado). THAT'S mk'S WHOLE GAME. all things being equal you can't win with metaknight without spamming d-smash, you can't with metaknight without spamming fair. its not the player, its the character, because that's how you play the character
Wait, you're talking about Meta Knight? For a moment it looked like Melee Sheik until you said "glide attack." Doesn't Meta Knight also have a solid nair, a fast comboable uair, a very good dtilt and ftilt, and one hell of a great finisher in Shuttle Loop? If players are using three moves the entire time with Meta Knight then yes, they are being predictable, and it's their fault, not Meta Knight's.

you HAVE to glide attack after up b. you can not avoid doing it unless you want to be fully charged forward smash. MK has no other options out of up b. its the character, not the player
Ending the glide close to the ground results in no additional landing lag. Glide attacking late to avoid hitting a shield is an option. Glide attacking from a well-spaced position works to avoid being punished out of shield. Pick one, or just keep gliding past and grab a ledge.

lol g&w doesn't have any heavily unfavorable matchups, he's a couple of tough ones, and so does metaknight
G&W is pretty handily beaten by those who can deal with his aerial zoning game, since his ground game is more composed of finishers than approaches. Meta Knight just has more trouble with some characters than he would with most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom