• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? **Take 2** (Post-podcast)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
D

Deleted member

By the way, of the 35 people who voted NOT to ban MK in the SBR, only 6 go to tournaments regularly.

Isn't it great that our decision is lead by 29 people who you can barely qualify as Brawl players?
of the 15 that voted to ban MK, half are texas. of the remainder, only chillindude goes to tournaments.

don't be a douche and push people in favor of your bull**** with crappy statistics.

XienZo

Smash Lord
People seriously need to calm down... there are other threads for discussion of the SBR and the SBR's decision, aren't there?

XienZo

Smash Lord
But there are other places for comparing SBR to the supreme court, and MK hasn't actually been mentioned in the thread's context for the last few pages....

Overswarm

is laughing at you
of the 15 that voted to ban MK, half are texas. of the remainder, only chillindude goes to tournaments.

don't be a douche and push people in favor of your bull**** with crappy statistics.
I have a house in Texas?!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
But there are other places for comparing SBR to the supreme court, and MK hasn't actually been mentioned in the thread's context for the last few pages....
cause its tiring, and nobody really wants to even talk about mk anymore.

id rather get some more scientific theory and government function lesson from adambrodeus, i was actually quite enjoying it...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
So let me get this straight, this topic has gone on for at least four months, and there is still not enough tourneys that banned Meta Knight and see is it satisfying to the audience and such? Uh huh, so I'm guessing a lot of people is not satisfied for him being banned I see, or do people still think it's too soon, or do people say it's a stupid plan to begin with?

XienZo

Smash Lord
So let me get this straight, this topic has gone on for at least four months, and there is still not enough tourneys that banned Meta Knight and see is it satisfying to the audience and such? Uh huh, so I'm guessing a lot of people is not satisfied for him being banned I see, or do people still think it's too soon, or do people say it's a stupid plan to begin with?

SBR said no, we're all bummed and bored so we're using this thread to 1up our post count. Intelligently.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Sonic mains don't need this thread to 1up our post count.
It's just interesting when adambrodeus speaks.

:093:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
cause its tiring, and nobody really wants to even talk about mk anymore.

id rather get some more scientific theory and government function lesson from adambrodeus, i was actually quite enjoying it...
Sonic mains don't need this thread to 1up our post count.
It's just interesting when adambrodeus speaks.

Have I somehow become a thread celebrity? Lol

Though... how come nobody is spelling my username right? Adumbrodeus, not Adambrodeus.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
More or less. I happen to like your logical stand on things and thus enjoy seeing what you have to contribute to stuff. =/
I spell adam because adum sounds like adam and dum looks like dumb.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
More or less. I happen to like your logical stand on things and thus enjoy seeing what you have to contribute to stuff. =/

lol dumb doesnt go with him. when i see his posts they are like dripping with logic >_>.

oh noes, when did you start using haunter? lol

aeghrur

Smash Champion
salaboB and adumbrodeus(right?) both have arguments dripping with logic.
Haunter started today cuz I was finally given permission.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

lol dumb doesnt go with him. when i see his posts they are like dripping with logic >_>.

oh noes, when did you start using haunter? lol
Yeah, but it's actually two words, Adumbro Deus. It actually means something in Latin, switching the "u" with "a" messes with it.

Lol, and believe it or not IRL, I actually don't act like this at all. Except when debating stuff (generally politics) that is, and that isn't exactly a side of me most people know. My rep is more of a jokster.

Hey, I spell it right when I refer to you >.>
Lol, it was a hyperbole, I don't mean literally everyone.

salaboB and adumbrodeus(right?) both have arguments dripping with logic.
Haunter started today cuz I was finally given permission.

Yay, proper spelling. Merci beaucoup!

salaboB

Smash Champion
This thought just occurred to me...

MK is not like Akuma because Akuma is effectively unbeatable, and MK isn't.

But what about MK with the IDC?

To prevent him reaching Akuma levels, we have banned one of his ATs. If Akuma had his air fireballs banned, would that make him beatable? (Or whatever X technique it is that makes him unstoppable) Other games don't ban single techniques like has been done in Brawl, they just ban the character. If anyone wishes to do a comparison to another game for why to not ban MK, you should include the IDC being allowed and defend him being able to use it at will as part of your point -- it's an ability MK has, after all.

Otherwise, it just doesn't compare.

D

Deleted member

I have a house in Texas?!
you don't go to tournaments, remember?

or are you contradicting your johns from your last few in the midwest circuit?

please just pick a stance that i can't refute at every turn, you're raising my post count substantially.

edit: although I did forget edrees somehow.

cutter

Smash Champion
This thought just occurred to me...

MK is not like Akuma because Akuma is effectively unbeatable, and MK isn't.

But what about MK with the IDC?

To prevent him reaching Akuma levels, we have banned one of his ATs. If Akuma had his air fireballs banned, would that make him beatable? (Or whatever X technique it is that makes him unstoppable) Other games don't ban single techniques like has been done in Brawl, they just ban the character. If anyone wishes to do a comparison to another game for why to not ban MK, you should include the IDC being allowed and defend him being able to use it at will as part of your point -- it's an ability MK has, after all.

Otherwise, it just doesn't compare.
Akuma had FAR more than just fireballs.

He had ridiculous devastating damage combos that were completely uncomparable with the rest of the cast. I also believe he had a sequence of moves that placed the opponent in permanent blockstun resulting in chip damage death.

There's so much more that made Akuma broken. As I said, he was DESIGNED from the start to be a crazy good character.

And LeeHarris got booted from the SBR? :ohwell: this makes me wish the SBR didn't operate like a reclusive government...

salaboB

Smash Champion
Akuma had FAR more than just fireballs.

He had ridiculous devastating damage combos that were completely uncomparable with the rest of the cast. I also believe he had a sequence of moves that placed the opponent in permanent blockstun resulting in chip damage death.
So you ban the fireball (If needed, ban all fireballs to compensate for the rest of his moves being so strong), and restrict the permanent blockstun combo -- infinite cgs are banned in some tournaments, right?

Really, there has to be a way to make Akuma beatable but still advantaged if you apply the way things get banned in Brawl to him. Other games simply ban the character rather than restricting what they can do the way Brawl has done.

I note you basically ignored my "MK + IDC = unbeatable and other games don't ban single moves" point of that.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
you don't go to tournaments, remember?

or are you contradicting your johns from your last few in the midwest circuit?

please just pick a stance that i can't refute at every turn, you're raising my post count substantially.

edit: although I did forget edrees somehow.
Wait, what?

Are you saying I don't go to tournaments in the same sentence in which you talk about me going to tournaments? :\

A little reading comprehension or, better yet, simple questions when confused would make things clearer for you. I didn't play save for tournaments, which I entered and won money in.

What's your tournament record, since a tournament record like mine doesn't seem to be enough?

sephiroth_fan

Smash Cadet
LeeHarris does bring up a good point which is that the public has very little say on existing SBR that clearly don't deserve their SBR status anymore. If you care I can search up some very idiotic posts made by SBR members in the recent past. Even in the weekly "character discussion" there's some very inaccurate information regarding the characters.

I don't think anyone that lacks Brawl experience or knowledge should even be in the SBR. If they had their time in the melee days then perhaps create a seperate Melee Back Room but the community as a whole has moved onto Brawl.

Let alone having them vote on something like a MK ban seems ridiculous. Don't get me wrong though I don't think the public opinion should be the one that's taken seriously but... the SBR needs a roster change.
I really don't like that the SBR isn't transparent. The rest of the smash community looks up to the SBR like it's a governing body. Sure, you technically have no power, but in any other practical sense you are the guiding force of this community, so it only makes sense that people would like to at least see what is going on. That way, people can judge for themselves whether the ongoings of the SBR are impartial or not, because, quite frankly, that's one of the biggest gripes people have with the entire idea and probably why other communities thinks the Smash community is elitist and arrogant.

I mean, you're not elected officials, but you basically function as such. It'd be nice to have a bit of transparency somewhere, not even necessarily viewing of posts but rather more like weekly updates as to what is going on in the room currently, since it'll at least give more of a vibe of "people working for the benefit of the community" rather than "secret Stonecutters organization trying to take over the Smash world".

EDIT: This would also solve any BS that SBR members say outside of the SBR. People could just refer to a contradicting post and just go "no, that's a flithy lie, you flithy liar".
I do agree, one of the major issues is that no one really knows what is going on within the SBR unless we are told which is rather rare.
I think it would help to ease the tension that goes on in smashboards if they give their opinion more often on those issues.

*shrug*

I can't really understand why they wish to be incredibly quiet about what hey discuss. Some things I can understand, other things I would like them to be more open about.
Can a leader of the SBR address these? This is a huge issue that has direct ties to the core of this discussion.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Frame data fails to take human reaction/speed into account. Saying, just for example, that MK's DSmash is unsafe on block doesn't matter if the character's fastest attack that could reach MK won't hit because of sheild drop + reaction time lag. You need to take into account how reliable it is to punish

You can't see how possible it is to follow up a certain move without playing against somebody who knows what they are doing. Think tech chasing.

Those are just examples, hopefully I won't have to provide more...
WTF. MK's Dsmash is easy to punish on block. I love when MK's Dsmash.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
Can a leader of the SBR address these? This is a huge issue that has direct ties to the core of this discussion.
Not really; the core of this discussion is whether MK should be banned or not, not what the SBR is doing. While the SBR merely feels that MK should not be banned at this time, it has no governing power over any TO. Think of it as a combined opinion on the matter, albeit by a group of some of the more experienced players/TOs/mods/etc. The only thing the SBR did was make a suggestion, based on actual evidence rather than any ideology.

The SBR is made up of people of varying skill and varying contributions to the community. Being an "active" player is not necessarily the pre-requisite, and the fact that Lee tried to turn the argument to that even though he knows how the SBR works (not to mention that it is irrelevant to the discussion) shows a lack of respect to his peers.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Assuming that this thread is getting a lot of traffic...

Happy Thanksgiving Smashers!

Sorry 'bout the spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom