• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? **Take 2** (Post-podcast)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Since the SBR totally has direct power over TO's.
Not too many TOs are going to check out some several-hundred posts filled with repeated arguments and flaming and spam to see what they should do.

Either way, we won't accomplish much.

Might as well try.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Not too many TOs are going to check out some several-hundred posts filled with repeated arguments and flaming and spam to see what they should do.
No TO is going to sit back and go "the SBR said so so I guess I have to follow them." It's happened for the tier list, it's happened for the rules set, and it will likely happen regarding the MK ban.

XienZo

Smash Lord
TO's are not stupid. They will do what they feel benefits them the most.
Yeah, but its probably what they would have done near the beginning of the debate, and this won't really change the minds of a majority of TOs.

No TO is going to sit back and go "the SBR said so so I guess I have to follow them." It's happened for the tier list, it's happened for the rules set, and it will likely happen regarding the MK ban.
I know, I'm just saying they'll go with something like their gut instinct instead.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
this is a lie.

my TO does exactly this.

all he does is bandwagon on SBR decisions
lololololol

BentoBox

Smash Master
He stopped posting, let's not bring him back <3

@ankok, SBR rules are considered as a standard by most. In the end, I don't foresee a majority of tournaments banning MK regardless of the SBR's decision. Now who is penalized exactly? The TOs or the players?

LinkStrifeLeonhart

Smash Cadet
So the last couple of pages got me thinking about the entire point to the character specific boards here. The match up topics aren't reliable sources of information on character match ups, so that's off of it. It seems that to get good info you need to ask a pro, so that either means in a topic a pro already made or with a PM or at a tourney.

I guess it's only useful for finding out new character specific things, which brings ATs to mind. And honestly, that could probably be done in a single overall topic.

But I want to know why there seems to be such a disconnect between pros and the character boards. Wouldn't the pros want the character boards more reflective of the meta-game as the pros understand it? This might be more prevalent with the high tier character boards and all, but it honestly just seems pointless to me now. If a character board doesn't have a residing pro or two, then it's really just a general chat centered around a character.

Then again, this also gets into my current question of what competitive Brawl is and if it really encompasses those that go to tournaments to "prove what a character is worth."

/tangent

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Nope, you definitely are complete and total garbage. Just because you and your friends are extremely bad at Brawl and don't know how to beat Meta Knight like all the good players do, does not mean Meta Knight is broken. Azen wins with Lucario, Atomsk wins with Dedede and Olimar, I win with Snake, G-regulate wins with Snake, ChuDat wins with Kirby, Chillin wins with Snake, NinjaLink wins with Diddy, etc.

Get good like we are.

Snake vs Meta Knight

-On the stage, Snake dominates Meta Knight. Snake can punish him severely for any mistakes, and his f-tilt does a staggering 21%. This is almost 1/4 of MK's entire stock in one move. D-throw --> tech-chase d-air = ~40%, which is insane. This move also kills MK at ~75% on most stages. Since Snake's grab goes high, he can grab MK easily out of his glide attack after powershielding it. The second hit of Snake's f-tilt beats all of MK's ground moves and the first hit beats MK's aerials.
-Snake dropping grenades and holding grenades limits MK to two options. He must go for a grab and up throw without pummelling at all or just wait. This is really gay. Snake can also hold grenades in the air to make MK take damage when he hits Snake. Snake doesn't care about both of them taking 10-14%. Snake can take ~50% more damage before dying.
-The supposed weakness Snake has is getting gimped. Working around this is extremely easy. Recovering intelligently by holding grenades and mixing stuff up like airdodging backwards randomly instead of predictably forward, and not getting put into bad situations in the first place by staying on the stage helps Snake avoid getting gimped.
-Snake kills MK at significantly less damage. Usually the difference is ~50%, but it's often even more. Moves like n-air and d-air, which do 29%, can kill MK consistently at ~80%. F-smash can kill MK at ~20-40%. U-air will kill MK at ~70% if you're both in the air. C4 will kill MK at ~80%. MK's strongest ground move, f-smash, won't kill Snake until well past 100%. D-smash, his best ground killing move, won't work until even later. His only way to get reliable kills before ~150% is hoping the Snake sucks and gets gimped.
-Tournament results in Atlantic North, NoCal, Florida, and Canada back my conclusion on this match-up. Unless the MK is a much better player, the Snake will generally win. My own experiences playing the match both ways at the highest levels, as in I play with Mew2King, show that Snake wins.

Falco vs Meta Knight

-Meta Knight is always forced to approach if you ban excessive stupid ledgecamping garbage nonsense. This is an automatic problem for MK since approaching in this game is always worse than camping.
-Falco can CG combo MK to ~60% and then kill him with u-smash at ~105%, and ~100% with f-smash. This means Falco can get a grab, do the simple CG combo, and then laser camp until a chance for a KO move comes up. Arguments saying "MK always outspaces Falco and should never get grabbed" fail because it assumes perfection. Players will always make mistakes. Assuming perfection is dumb. Tier lists and match-up numbers reflect reality and take mistakes into account.
-Falco's silent laser has +3 frame advantage. The only frame advantage in Brawl. This is very useful for set-ups because it lets Falco actually combo off of the laser.
-The only consistent edgeguard MK has is tornado, which won't send Falco back off the stage and Falco is light enough to get out easily. Falco has enough recovery options to not get gimped, especially because of his stupid f-b. If you edgehog him, he can easily f-b safely to the stage. If you're not on the edge, he can get to the edge for free. He can also use platforms on the stages to give himself another option.
-I have played Keitaro, a really good Falco in NJ, many times and have come to the conclusion that this match-up is very close. I also watched Mew2King fight Keitaro multiple times.

Game and Watch vs Meta Knight

-Game and Watch slaughters MK at extremely low percents which huge, high-priority moves. His f-smash can kill MK at ~65% pretty consistently, and then u-smash is even lower, and d-smash is only slightly higher. All but u-smash are fast and all have very little recovery time. Game and Watch may be lighter, but he lives to higher damage. Meta Knight can't gimp him out of his u-b.
-Game and Watch doesn't care about the tornado. He instantly gets out and then d-airs it. He can also beat it with all of his smash attacks, which kill MK at very low damage.
-Game and Watch can ledgecamp just as well as MK with his n-air.
-Game and Watch has huuuuuge moves with insane priority, so he can easily compete with MK's own good range and priority.
-MK's only reliable strategies are to use shuttle loop against Game and Watch's aerials and camp safely until small chances to grab and f-tilt come around. It's hard to land kill moves and risky to edgeguard.

Diddy Kong vs Meta Knight

-He negates the tornado and drill with his bananas, which he can combo off of, and he can DI out of the tornado easily and u-air it.
-Banana pressure is insane and bananas beat all moves. He starts off with control of them, which gives him an advantage with them. MK can use them well too, but not as well since his options after hitting with a banana are inferior and he does not start off with control of them.
-Diddy Kong has very good priority, surprisingly. His f-air beats all of MK's aerials and the kick out of the f-b does as well. The f-b is also an unblockable command throw if you don't kick out of it, making it great for mix-ups.
-Diddy Kong is very fast and very capable of punishing MK. He can glide toss out of shield and then combo from the banana if MK attacks his shield.
-MK has to camp often because the bananas, and lots of MKs like camping d-air...which Diddy's u-tilt beats.
-His only real weakness is getting gimped, which can be avoided by playing safely most of the time.
-I am highly experienced in this match-up. I have beaten NinjaLink, AlphaZealot, Chrome Pirate, and Jigglymaster in it. I have never felt like I had a big advantage at all.

Olimar vs Meta Knight

-Olimar, like Falco, forces MK to approach due to Pikmin tossing. This is automatically bad.
-Olimar can punish all of MK's attacks with a grab besides d-air above his head, which often loses to u-smash, u-air, and u-b. No amount of spacing can save MK from a grab. Perfectly spaced <insert move> gets grabbed. Olimar can simply run away and pivot grab anything MK does. Tornado? Who cares? He can grab it, and he can easily DI out of it and drop down n-air MK and combo a u-smash off of it.
-Purple Pikmin u-smash kills MK at ~80%, and other ones besides white at ~95%. Olimar's u-smash is very fast and lacks recovery time, making it both deadly and safe.
-Olimar has set combos at low damage that can take MK to ~40%. D-throw --> u-smash --> u-air, etc. Speaking of u-air, it does 25%. Insanity.
-Olimar's only weakness is getting gimped, which can be avoided by playing safely and staying on the stage.
-I have beaten Atomsk and BlackWaltz many times in tournament in this match-up, so I am highly experienced in it. There were many times I have felt helpless because of Olimar's camping.

I do not understand the ZSS and Wario match-ups enough to make my own conclusions. I go by what other top players say on those match-ups and what I have seen of them. ZSS and Wario seem to do quite well. Atomsk likes going Wario in teams against MKs and Reflex and Futile can beat MKs consistently. Snakeee and Shadow insist ZSS vs MK is even, and Snakeee is the best ZSS.

Dedede, Marth, R.O.B., Toon Link, Pit, Lucario, Kirby, and Donkey Kong do not lose any worse than 40/60 to MK. If this needs to be explained in detail, it's easily done.
This should probably be addressed by the pro-ban people. Nobody has argued with this at all or proven anything wrong and I basically just proved that Snake beats MK and Olimar, Falco, Diddy, and Game and Watch go almost even with him. Furthermore, I strongly feel that ZSS and Wario go even with him and that Dedede, Marth, Toon Link, Pit, DK, R.O.B., Lucario, and Kirby do not lose any worse than 40/60. I'm also starting to think that Yoshi and Sonic go 40/60 with MK despite the tier gap.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i dont understand why inui is still trying to prove crap after umbreon came in and ***** the thread and took away its will to live.

its over dude, you may commence face rubbing

but just for the lulz:
Falco
you say that ppl are only human and therefore they have to do things that are imperfect, to that my responce is that if you assume that the person has to make a mistake every once in a while, than you must also assume that a human will also do some thing not feasible by human standards on occasion. you cant assume perfection, but you cant assume mistakes either. that being said. :

that means that every once in a while an MK will get an actual gimp off on falco, whether it be by ledgehopping a n-air into the f-b, down smashing the landing, or just guessing when the falco will go for the edge, and getting to it before him.
this has more of a chance of happening than MK spacing falco so as not to get grabbed the entire match so its a decent trade off
you forget to mention that MK can hit falco out of his f-b so i can run away and camp more strat with tornado. so any well timed tornado can put falco in a bad spot...

GaW
as much as I play sonic, i know more than just about anybody the power and sometimes the need to hit other people before their attacks. and GaW is somewhat susceptible to this, seeing as his smashes, while fast do have a noticible (not long just noticible) startup time to his kill moves, it shouldnt be unbearable difficult to focus on hitting GaW before said powerful moves come out.
about the f-smash at 65. is that with full up airing DI? cus that sounds suspiciously low.
other than that, all you are really saying is MK can camp with shuttle loop and play safe and win the match since other than what ive already mentioned, they are even in all other aspects. recovery, range, safeness, priority and camping.

Diddy
if MK is down air camping and diddy is trying to up air him, wouldnt it be easy to just AD into the ground and punish the up tilt with what ever?
also diddys only competing move in the air is forward, but that can be hard to hit because even though his horisontal air speed is crap, the verticle is top notch and that can make it hard to hit an MK that is sticking to the air.
not to mention that it seems that once MK gets inside, with a mixture of down airs, multi jumps, airdodging, and glide attacking, it seems that MK tends to have all the advantage in the world, because he can pressure and outspace him, and spot dodge to down smash the vast majority of his attacks.
about down airs.
its very easy to repeat rising down airs on peoples shields, its much harder to up tilt him out of it, and i dont see people doing it consistently, i would say that MK comes out of that exchange without taking damage more often than diddy will.

Olimar
Cant MK space a tornado high enough to go over the grab and still hit oli? even if he cant do it in a straight line, MK can still curve the nado over the grab.
camping down airs still seems like a good idea in this match up because if you see oli preping for a counterattack, you can just AD through all 3 of the moves that he would be using in that situation and punish him for it.
i would just like to point out your "cant assume perfection theory again" using that, i surmise that oli cant keep track of all his pikmin throughout the entire game. this can lead to purple pikmin grabs, which dont have the necessary range, and blue pikmin up smashes at 80 when you thought it was purple, which than stales the up smash so it wont kill at the right percent either. not saying this will always happen, but you cant say it will never happen either...
and it seems like oli will be pivot grabbing alot and with MKs agressive nature it shouldnt be hard to pull a couple feignts to get oli to pivot grab himself to the ledge, and from there, all it would take is one low trajectory attack (d-smash) to put oli in a gimpable position at med damage.

but like i said this debate is over. i just decided to try and refute you for the lulz

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Awesome. I actually post lots of evidence and good arguments finally and it doesn't matter. See why didn't do so earlier? It wouldn't have matter for some other reason, probably.

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
Sunscreen?
That cake looks cheap.
Cake?:

THE CAKE IS A LIE.
It doesn't matter, because you're too slow, you can't hold on much longer, you need to open your heart before you can reach the other side of the rainbow.

lol steak
Sonic's his name and speed is his game.

lol
This right here...was that intentional?
yes i like calling him lolimar XD

Catching up on the argument through 46 or so pages since I last checked.
These posts made it soooooooooooooooooooo worth it.

Other stuff too, like Atomsk feeling similar to me in that I don't want my win/lost to be credited to MK--

Ankoku text sex.
MK's dtilt not having a disjoint.
And MK not getting banned

All good stuff but these posts right here are where awesome is born. I love you guys.
( :

gantrain05

Smash Master
ok Inui here goes my opinion on your MK matchups

1. Snake, i agree snake does well against meta, and on paper everything seems all fine and dandy, but in a real match, its not an advantage to snake, its more like 50-50, you say that snake can punish MK when he messes up, and yes he can, but it still isn't easy to do, and you failed to mention how meta can punish snake when he messes up, which is EXTREMELY easy for any good MK to do, if any characters messes up against MK they can and will punish, they just have the speed to do it. grenade camping will only go so far, MK has never had many problems with projectiles, he's too small and too fast to really be hindered by them, but i do think snake has the best projectiles for the job. and even a smart recovering snake has to face the facts, if MK is patient and just spaces him in the air he can just bait out the airdodge and punish with shuttle loop, and with snake usually recovering high he's probably dead, and if he recovers low, then thats even worse, he's going to either get stage spiked, or knocked away and the same thing will repeat until he's either dead or MK messes up and he gets back to the stage.

2. falco, now heres where i strongly disagree, while falco has lasers thats all good and nice, but they won't last very long as MK will be right in falcos face at the start of the match, pretty much every one of MK's arials and ground moves will outprioritize anything falco has besides lasers and DownB. and while he does have a deadly chaingrab its not easy for a character like falco to really get a grab off on MK, short grab ranged and he has some cooldown after a grab that can actually allow MK to dashgrab him in return, and falco can actually be very easily gimped, if he gets falco offstage with a Dair, he can actually Dair falco to the bottom corner of the stage until he has no chance of coming back and MK will just shuttle loop back on stage, and no they actually can't get out of this safely, the only way would be to let out an attack and if they do they just gimped themselves. it basically goes like this, MK knocks falco off stage with any one of his various moves, and while falco is offstage MK does Dair > jump > Dair > jump > Dair > jump Dair> go back to stage, and falco is too far to recover.

3.G&W basically, game and watch has the turtle......if he's short hopping at you...he's going to turtle, the simple way to make sure he does do this is to just shuttle loop when you see G&W jump at you with his Bair, it will beat turtle every single time and gives G&W very limited approach, he has some rediculous KO moves, but you can't really set any of them up unless you Dthrow and successfully tech chase them, but thats all based off luck and MK can actually immediatley tech roll to the side right after the Dthrow and have enough time to put a shield up or counter attack b4 G&W can be on him, and G&W is a very light character and a fresh Dsmash will kill him at very reasonable percents, same with shuttle loop. against a very good MK i just don't see G&W really having much of an answer.

4.Diddy Kong, on final D diddy can beat MK, so that doesn't really help when anybody who plays against a diddy bans final D anyway, any stage with platforms or obstacles will mess up diddys banana game (yoshi's island is a good example) and we all know w/out banana's diddy is not that great.

5.Olimar, now this one you have got to be kidding me right? pikmin spam does NOTHING to MK, if he sees you throwing a pikmin at him, he's just going to Nair or any move really its not even going to give the pikmin time to actually attack him, olimar is just wasting his pikmin doing that, all olimar really has in this matchup is his pivot grabs, which if used well can actually be very effective against MK, but he's eventually going to catch on and just dash at olimar and probably just Dodge behind him or even Dsmash him, his grab won't catch MK if he Dsmashes, he has no grab armor. all of his smashes get beaten out in priority by any of MK's moves, any olimar main will tell you that if you just clank moves with him he will always get beat, except for maybe Uair.

and i don't really have much experience with the others you've mentioned either, except that i know DK's tilts can be a bit of a problem for MK, marth gets gimped too easily, and DDD just alright, he can live forever and has that rediculous chaingrab.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i just read trains post and i thought of some thing hott

MK/Falco
mk knocks falco off stage
MK glides out to falco
falco airdodges the impending g air
MK b cancels the glide into a rising down air
MK gets off another rising down air
MK uses his last jump and up b to get back to the stage while falco falls helplessly to his death

sex

gantrain05

Smash Master

MK/Falco
MK glides out to falco
MK uses his last jump and up b to get back to the stage while falco falls helplessly to his death

sex
i suppose that could work too, i've never seen anyone do it quite that fancy pants but yeah...it seems viable i might test it out lol.

Master Raven

Smash Master

MK/Falco
MK glides out to falco

sex
Or Falco can simply avoid this by using Illusion. :p

Almost everything on paper is easier said than done (including my above statement).

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero

Almost everything on paper is easier said than done (including my above statement).

The dair chain actually puts Falco immediately too low to use Illusion which is what makes it so bad for him in the first place. It's one of the main ways I've seen Meta Knight's handling Fox and Falco because of the great angling of the attack. The next Dairs are then unaviodable because the space furries will have to try and UpB and the charge will not allow them to do so before being hit again. I watched M2K do this alot at HOBO11 as well to any Fox or Falco as it seems to be the quickest and most effecient way to kill him.

Speaking of Dair, Ive found Olimar is incredibly suceptible to it even through his Usmash so long as you approach with a diagonal angle. This keeps Meta's hurtbox away fromthe pikmin but his sword in Olimar. From there it seems to be no problem to carry Olimar off the stage with followups.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
4.Diddy Kong, on final D diddy can beat MK, so that doesn't really help when anybody who plays against a diddy bans final D anyway, any stage with platforms or obstacles will mess up diddys banana game (yoshi's island is a good example) and we all know w/out banana's diddy is not that great.
Lol no. Platforms HELP Diddy's game. A little Melee import called 'z-grabbing items'
The matchup is the same, regardless of stage. I'd actually prefer to take MK to Battlefield over FD. Most Diddy's play on the assumption that FD is going to be banned against them.

Also:

Master Raven

Smash Master
The dair chain actually puts Falco immediately too low to use Illusion which is what makes it so bad for him in the first place.
I wasn't actually suggesting to illusion after getting Daired, but if Falco was knocked off-stage but not low enough to be forced to recovery with his fire bird. Of course it's really mostly just good guess work but like I said, a lot of things on paper are easier said than done.

Ulevo

Smash Master

Let's also not forget that with proper DI, a Falco isn't suddenly going to conveniently appear below the stage, let alone in the position for a properly placed Dair. Gimping a good Falco player is actually quite difficult.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
I like how this thread has pretty much the same margin as the other one. Apparently people aren't really changing their minds.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Gimping a good Falco player is actually quite difficult.
100% Agree'd. Any well played character is hard to gimp (except Falcon, Link + Ganon). All the time you hear about Ness being gimpable but that's not really true...same goes ´for spacies and party for Ike as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom