• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should anti-trip be a choice for tourney sets?

Dr. R.O.Botnik

Smash Journeyman
I love how there's 38 pages of discussion even though this will definitely never happen. Seriously, though, go run some Brawl +/BBrawl tourneys if you don't like tripping, no one is stopping you.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Setting all the wiis of a tournament with the same codes is actually easy. With a single SD card that has got the right files, you can launch any code on any wii, hacked or not.
In France we'd do this if 90% of the wiis we use weren't already hacked anyway haha.

No tripping is a must. And it's the only gameplay hack that should be allowed. Think of this as an update you'd get in any other game where the game's creator is not completely against tournament play.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Setting all the wiis of a tournament with the same codes is actually easy. With a single SD card that has got the right files, you can launch any code on any wii, hacked or not.
In France we'd do this if 90% of the wiis we use weren't already hacked anyway haha.

No tripping is a must. And it's the only gameplay hack that should be allowed. Think of this as an update you'd get in any other game where the game's creator is not completely against tournament play.
I wish more people had this mentality.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No gameplay hack should ever be allowed. Unless you do more than just tripping. You open Pandora's Box the SECOND you do this. You do it all, or none at all. If it affects gameplay, the results get skewed. No matter how small... it still counts as being different results.

I'm not sure you even understand our mentality here. It's "We do not wish to change the actual copy of the game to slightly improve the game."

Tripping is very rare, barely affects outcomes, and does not actually determine the better play more than once in a blue moon. It does not matter how much people hate it, because we cannot turn it off with anything beyond a hack.

You continue to ignore other things like legal issues, the fact that we'll lose sponsors, venues, many players, and that there will never be a true standard. You put in that Gameplay-altering hack and any other gameplay-altering hack is fair game. You can no longer say we can't do it, because we already did.

It's easy as hell, but then when the hack suddenly doesn't work, time is wasted. You accidentally unplugged or reset the Wii? More time wasted inputting the code in. Tournaments are already on quite the timeframe. We don't have time to waste on something ridiculously insignificant in the actual metagame. 1% of the time is not worth caring about, same for some people who clearly don't like the mechanic. Of course, almost nobody does, but what we hate more is that we can't do it with patching the game ourselves(which is once again illegal in this case, or is questionable legality), and knowing that they might only be able to run the tourney at their own house at best. And you know, players refusing to come.

All hacked tourneys are side-only for good reasons. Because Smashboards is known for competitive gameplay Smash, not inconsistent illegal patches. In addition, how many Venues do you think would allow people to do illegal stuff in their building? Practically none. Nintendo has also shown nothing but hatred towards these hacks, and even made sure that we can't call them legal due to their EULA.

Long story short, stop ignoring the legal issues, because they're more important than improving the gamepaly here. In addition, removing Tripping doesn't make anyone a better player. They're all affected equally, but that code actually affects SOME moves that causes tripping, meaning that nobody's treated equally. In other words? It's actually worse than the supremely rare case of a Trip.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
All those rules we do are within the original coding of the game itself, and was intended to be be used for whatever reason you want.
Why does this matter?

I fail to see why it's at all relevant if it's part of the original coding of the game itself, or not, atleast inherently.

Like, let's say, it's alright to tackle a person in Football. But if you punch them, it's definitely against the rules. The similarity is that they're both a form of attacking the other player. What draws the line is that one makes sense for the rules of the game, since it's tackle-based football, while the other is not. I mean, they both damage the guy, right? So it should be fine, right? Well, it's not.
Yep, it's arbitrary.

They could make it a rule that punching is legal, although players probably wouldn't like that, and people would stop playing/they'd lose money/it'd be worse for the sport.

Rules only work if they make sense within the design of the game.
this is an incredibly vague ban criteria

Using a hack for competition is admitting you refuse to play the actual real game.
So?

What is, "the actual real game," and why is it better for the community to play that, instead of what the community would prefer to play?

There's another thing that they're all cheat codes. So it's literally cheating to win.
I'm not even going to bother with this lol

Another is if we use one(that specifically affects gameplay), why not do more? The double standard part won't stop being a thing.
We could use more, it'd be perfectly fine if we did.

Why would it be bad if we wanted to use more?

The only reason why we wouldn't use more, is that the players wouldn't demand that we use more.

We should not remove it because it makes it an entire different game.
Why is that a reason to ban it?

That's not the main evidence. That's just one part that shows how bad the current code is, not the idea. That's a different situation.
Alright, let's put that debate on the back-burner, then, until we finish this one about the justification of hacks inherently, alright?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why does this matter?

I fail to see why it's at all relevant if it's part of the original coding of the game itself, or not, atleast inherently.
It's a huge difference. We are playing Brawl. The Brawl that we bought. Hacks are not Brawl, and never will be Brawl. This applies for all hacks. What we tolerate is of no consequence. It's not Brawl, so you should stop telling yourself you're playing the game you bought when you're not. Because it's lying to yourself.

Yep, it's arbitrary.

They could make it a rule that punching is legal, although players probably wouldn't like that, and people would stop playing/they'd lose money/it'd be worse for the sport.
Kind of like hacks. Oh, wait, same situation. You're adding something that makes it easier to win, which means we're not winning within the rules of the game, but it's just like saying it's alright to use Steroids, something not within the original rules of the game. Sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it?

this is an incredibly vague ban criteria
It's all you need. If you can't win without cheating, then you shouldn't be playing with other people or for money. If it's a non-money game, nobody cares. But when money's on the line, I expect honest play, which cheat codes are the exact opposite. BTW, being cheap or using cheap tricks is still honest play as long as you can get away with it. But using a code? Well, far from it. It's downright insulting to players who worked hard to get where they were by using the original game's premise. They had to practice with tripping, and did well still with it on.

So?

What is, "the actual real game," and why is it better for the community to play that, instead of what the community would prefer to play?
If they didn't spend money on Brawl, they wouldn't have wanted to play it. And the "actual real game" is what you bought out of the box. It's what you payed for. Anything else is an utter lie.

I'm not even going to bother with this lol
So you concede the point then.

We could use more, it'd be perfectly fine if we did.
Sure, but then it stopped being Brawl already, and a game you created yourself, while using Nintendo's IP and infringing on it. Sounds even worse in the reality of what the situation. Because that's the exact thing that's happening. So no, it was never perfectly fine.

Why would it be bad if we wanted to use more?
If you admit you're playing something other Brawl, sure.

The only reason why we wouldn't use more, is that the players wouldn't demand that we use more.
Too bad that won't happen. Everybody would want more. Consistency is shot because nobody would ever use the same hacks because it's nothing but opinions.

Why is that a reason to ban it?
There is no legitimate reason to ban Tripping. It barely affects gameplay, but it's still a major part of it and always will be.

Alright, let's put that debate on the back-burner, then, until we finish this one about the justification of hacks inherently, alright?
They're impossible to justify overall, though. You have to convince people to justify cheating. And breaking the law.(in two ways) And to no longer play Brawl. You'll never get a majority on this. I mean, if we could do it legally, I think it could happen, but you can't. Thus, it won't work.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
How is eliminating tripping equal to cheating? The purpose of getting rid of it is to dispose of a random factor that can cause you to lose. It makes moving around fair for everyone. That sounds like the opposite of cheating to me.

:phone:

theunabletable

Smash Lord
It's not Brawl, so you should stop telling yourself you're playing the game you bought when you're not.
Words only have meaning because we give them meaning.

We can call it whatever we want, and we do that.

Kind of like hacks. Oh, wait, same situation.
Yeah, this is what I said.

Maybe you'd understand what I'm saying if you didn't assume that I disagreed with EVERY single word you said/you didn't try to disagree with everything I'm saying lol

You're adding something that makes it easier to win, which means we're not winning within the rules of the game, but it's just like saying it's alright to use Steroids, something not within the original rules of the game. Sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it?
The rules of the game are decided by us, however.

If no tripping was legal, then it wouldn't be against the rules of the game to use it.

What you're saying right now is akin to a conversation going, "Why should we ban it?" "Because it's against the rules to have it."

It's all you need. If you can't win without cheating, then you shouldn't be playing with other people or for money. If it's a non-money game, nobody cares. But when money's on the line, I expect honest play, which cheat codes are the exact opposite. BTW, being cheap or using cheap tricks is still honest play as long as you can get away with it. But using a code? Well, far from it. It's downright insulting to players who worked hard to get where they were by using the original game's premise. They had to practice with tripping, and did well still with it on.
You're saying this as if some people get no tripping, and other people will still get tripping, on a no-tripping Wii lol.

It's not cheating at all if the rules are agreed upon beforehand.

If they didn't spend money on Brawl, they wouldn't have wanted to play it. And the "actual real game" is what you bought out of the box. It's what you payed for. Anything else is an utter lie.
So?

So you concede the point then.
Ugh, no. I thought it was self-evidently ridiculous lol.

Alright I'll respond to it, then.

There's another thing that they're all cheat codes. So it's literally cheating to win.
What you're doing here, is giving a word a definition, and then using that word in a scenario where that definition doesn't apply, but acting as if it does, to create a connection between the two.

"Cheating to win" implies that you're doing something against the rules against your opponent, who does not have that available to them, or is not doing it (because it's against the rules).

"Hacks=cheat codes=cheating to win" simply doesn't follow lol. The only connection between "cheat codes" and "cheating to win" (as it's currently been defined, unless you have a relevant objection to the definition I gave) is that they use similar symbols to portray different meanings.

Sure, but then it stopped being Brawl already, and a game you created yourself, while using Nintendo's IP and infringing on it. Sounds even worse in the reality of what the situation. Because that's the exact thing that's happening. So no, it was never perfectly fine.
What were the things that were "not perfectly fine" with any of the things that you mentioned?

If you admit you're playing something other Brawl, sure.
Alright, we're playing Brawl with no tripping.

We'll call it Brawl for short.

Too bad that won't happen. Everybody would want more. Consistency is shot because nobody would ever use the same hacks because it's nothing but opinions.
I didn't realize that keeping no-tripping as illegal was the one thing standing in the way of Balanced Brawl taking over as the primary game...

and actually, I'll continue even further. Why would it matter if everybody wanted more (even though it's not the case)?

There is no legitimate reason to ban Tripping. It barely affects gameplay, but it's still a major part of it and always will be.
If a community wants it banned, then that's a legitimate reason to ban tripping. A lot of people don't like more randomized results.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
How is eliminating tripping equal to cheating? The purpose of getting rid of it is to dispose of a random factor that can cause you to lose. It makes moving around fair for everyone. That sounds like the opposite of cheating to me.

:phone:
No, it makes it possible to do moves easier without fear. Kind of like when a person uses something to buff another character. Likewise, it's still a cheat code anyway. That cannot even be denied.

This random factor forces players to not circle-camp or do nothing but run around wasting time. It also makes people approach more from the air than the ground. Thus, it forces skillful approach. That, and this random factor is beyond rare to begin with, and has almost never affected results. Maybe barely 2% of the time? It's never been over 5.

So we remove something that's almost never a problem. That's even a worse idea. You don't remove something that is insignificant overall. That's pedant, picky, and just stupid of an idea.

If Tripping was such a real large factor, people would be complaining about it as a tourney problem. It's barely a problem there. People just hate that they lost once in a blue moon due to a crappy mechanic.

Likewise, we've been over this before; Random is NOT bad. We reduce any randomness we can anyway, if we can do it without resorting to something not within the Brawl game. We break not just the EULA, but show how bad of players we are if we can't accept a very tiny problem is part of the game.

I may hate parts of Brawl, but I accept it as the true version of Brawl. I would never call hacks coupled with Brawl, well, Brawl. It becomes Brawl + Hacks, no matter what is there. Whether or not some people find parts of it tolerable or not is still not the issue. You tolerate one hack, you tolerate them ALL. I don't tolerate any, because they're all cheat codes are should be illegal in competitive tournament play by that factor alone.

It's still cheating whether it benefits you or hurts you IF you use something outside of the actual copy you bought to do so. Codes that you can do in-game are questionable at best. EX Menus, actual literally named Cheat Menus, it really depends on what's there. Those are treated specially because the game was meant to be played that way as an option. Just like any items, and so on. Those are all options within the game, and you can't call it cheating if you win using them. You can call it cheap, perhaps, but it's not cheating until you break the actual rules of the game. Cheat Codes that can be input in the game itself aren't true cheating, but they can be limited like anything else for fair play.

However, we go too far when we use a cheat device itself(that isn't meant to ever affect the official distributed copy) and are no doubt cheating. I don't care what the code is, because this a case where the context is no longer important. Especially thanks to the Double Standards problem. First, yes, I agree some stuff CAN be tolerable. But only if you already admit you're cheating. Because using anything not intended within the scope of game is 100% cheating, no ifs, ands, or buts. That's exactly what cheating is here.

Let me put it this way; It's the same exact scenario as bringing a Turbo controller to play with. It's unacceptable. Whether it affects one or all, it does not cease to become a cheat. Oh, btw, try running a n64 GameShark tourney. See how well it goes. The GameShark is very glitchy on its own, causes freezing a lot of time, and may not even worth half the time.

But here's the kicker; The TO may put in a code to buff somebody, and you'll never know about this. This is yet another reason why hacks are bad. Somebody will cheat with it. That fear is very rational and real, because nobody will agree upon what needs buffing, and thus, people sneak in codes. This invites bad playing, and people thinking they're making a better copy of the game anyway.

Look, nobody likes tripping(except a few percentage-wise), but they abhore hacks even MORE. I'm not sure you understand this, but by removing Tripping, we're buffing all the characters, which is no different from using a cheat code to do the same thing. They're not unrelated whatsoever. The context is that we have to use a cheat code to remove it. If we could honestly go into the official options and do this, nobody would be against it. But we can't, and never will be able to. The option does not legally exist.

------------

@theunabletable:

Words only have meaning because we give them meaning.

We can call it whatever we want, and we do that.
Doesn't make it any more correct no matter how much you believe it. It's not the game we payed for, and never will be. That's not something that can be disputed.

Yeah, this is what I said.

Maybe you'd understand what I'm saying if you didn't assume that I disagreed with EVERY single word you said/you didn't try to disagree with everything I'm saying lol
K. The 'lol' thing makes it hard to take you seriously, though. I apologize for that, but it's hard to tell.

The rules of the game are decided by us, however.

If no tripping was legal, then it wouldn't be against the rules of the game to use it.

What you're saying right now is akin to a conversation going, "Why should we ban it?" "Because it's against the rules to have it."
Except the context changes everything. Our rules are made using the official game rules. The ONLY rule that actually does not do this is the LGL, but you still don't need to change the coding to do it, so it's tolerable at best.

No Tripping isn't legal because it's against more than one rule, not some arbitary one. The law itself is quite a predicament, and changing gameplay because we don't like it is also a poor reason. That, and yeah, items and stages(some) need clear testing, although them being off isn't a bad thing either, but we're still allowed to do it within the confinements of the original game. BTW, the game was intended, by how it was designed, to give us the option of removing all those things. If we can't remove it without using codes, then it was meant to stay. LGL is the only thing that I can agree is a horrible exception to this rule, but that's no different from stopping stalling anyway. We call those understandable exceptions, and while the LGL was never proven to be needed(except for perhaps one guy), it did still get up there. Note that not every rule was put up fairly or within reason. Of course it's a bad thing.

You're saying this as if some people get no tripping, and other people will still get tripping, on a no-tripping Wii lol.

It's not cheating at all if the rules are agreed upon beforehand.
Yeah, most actually practice on a tripping Wii, and may not be ABLE to get that SD card. Maybe they don't have enough money, maybe it's spent on their car, and they got Brawl from somewhere else. Maybe they're borrowing it from a friend to practice. It's not a feasible solution to expect everyone to practice with hacks either.

What were the things that were "not perfectly fine" with any of the things that you mentioned?
Any hack is not fine by any means. Not when we actually break the law to do so. Anyway, stock count, time, these are fine because the game was DESIGNED to be played by changing those.

I didn't realize that keeping no-tripping as illegal was the one thing standing in the way of Balanced Brawl taking over as the primary game...

and actually, I'll continue even further. Why would it matter if everybody wanted more (even though it's not the case)?
It's any hack that keeps it from that, people just shrug at Music, Texture, and Infinite Replay because they (almost always) have no effect on gameplay.

It matters a lot. If people want more, that means they will get more. And everybody will want more. Nothing will be agreed upon. Every tourney will have different hacks, so any tourney results are immediately skewed, and that's bad for consistent results. All tourneys are recorded, and thus, we create a metagame through consistent results with the same rule sets.

If a community wants it banned, then that's a legitimate reason to ban tripping. A lot of people don't like more randomized results.
Not enough of a legitimate reason. If the TO refuses to do it, and they sometimes will, it won't happen. Majority count only works on influence, but it does not actually decide it on its own. Likewise, what's more random is hacks in general. Not every tournament will play the same hack, and thus, every tournament will be completely standed alone, and the metagame will die because the results will no longer be usable. Data only works if it has something consistent about it, key term being the rule set. If the rule set is different for each game, then the data doesn't work anymore.(I'd add an analogy, but you can make up one for yourself)

theunabletable

Smash Lord
This random factor forces players to not circle-camp or do nothing but run around wasting time. It also makes people approach more from the air than the ground. Thus, it forces skillful approach. That, and this random factor is beyond rare to begin with, and has almost never affected results. Maybe barely 2% of the time? It's never been over 5.
2% of the time someone could lose hundreds of dollars randomly?

and mostly just posting so that you can make another post addressing mine (that way I can see your arguments when you bump the thread), instead of editing it into your current post :p

Cygnet

Smash Apprentice
Is anyone even consciously aware that tripping exists in Brawl (except for IC mains) before the trip actually occurs? (i.e. Does it actually affect the way people play and think? I don't think people would even notice if their Wii was secretly non-trip.)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Is anyone even consciously aware that tripping exists in Brawl (except for IC mains) before the trip actually occurs? (i.e. Does it actually affect the way people play and think? I don't think people would even notice if their Wii was secretly non-trip.)
After tons of hours of playing and zero trips, people will notice. But then again, don't you think lying to the players about this, committing fraud, is even worse? I mean, if they find out, that TO is probably going to go down in flames. False advertising is a serious crime, btw.

This applies for any hack, and is why it's a bad idea on that premise alone. Thanks for bringing this in itself up. I forgot to mention it.

tekkie

Smash Master
of the tournaments we've had with anti-trip on any of the wiis everyone has been 100% supportive of the idea. i shouldn't respond to literal nonsense but w/e

Cygnet

Smash Apprentice
Well, I didn't mean that we should ACTUALLY secretly put that hack on a Wii, I just meant that I'm pretty sure tripping is really too small of a thing to matter if it were removed. (On the other hand, I would notice if I was secretly playing Balanced Brawl.)

We know unconsciously that tripping exists, so why don't we.... approach from the air more or walk more to compensate for it? If we removed tripping, would pros think "let's dash more?'

I don't think it would actually affect the thought process or play significantly, besides IC mains using the traditional PBthrow-Ndthrow CG vs. the PFthrow-NBthrow one.

Dr. R.O.Botnik

Smash Journeyman
Argue all you want about how it will effect actual gameplay, but the claims that we'll probably lose our sponsors are still there, and that's the important part. Smash in general is just starting to be seen as legit by the fighting game community, and doing something like this will not only reverse that progress, but deprive us of our ability to host large tourneys (due to lack of sponsors). Also, the whole "Pandora's Box" argument.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know it doesn't seem like a big deal. But it's still a problem in itself. Tripping, as small as it is, is a part of Brawl, and affects match-ups, no matter how rare. And is actually noticeable.

Nobody is saying they wouldn't have it off. It's how we're doing it that's solely the key problem.

And the thought process actually does get affected, really. But like I said, what's to stop TO's from putting in other codes? I mean, if we approve of one gameplay change, they think it'll be okay to put in any they want, whether they tell us or not.

Also, what McNeedle Nose said.(as in Dr. R.O.Botnik) That's one of the ultimate biggest issues.

To me, I don't care about what other fighting communities have to say, but when we lose sponsors and venues, and even players, do you really honestly think it's worth it in the end? Or to even take this risk?

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Doesn't make it any more correct no matter how much you believe it. It's not the game we payed for, and never will be. That's not something that can be disputed.
It's not up to me to decide if it's correct or not, it's up to you to show that it's a BAD thing to do.

Why are any of those things relevant to whether something should be banned or not?

K. The 'lol' thing makes it hard to take you seriously, though. I apologize for that, but it's hard to tell.
Sorry about that, usually I start throwing in haha's and lol's when I'm trying to seem atleast a LITTLE bit more lighthearted haha

The law itself is quite a predicament
This applies to infinite-replays, and textures as well.

and changing gameplay because we don't like it is also a poor reason.
Why?

If we can't remove it without using codes, then it was meant to stay.
So? Why does the intention of the game designer have any bearing on how we decide is the best way to play, to allow our community to flourish the most?

Not enough of a legitimate reason.
I would argue that it's the only legitimate reason there is.

Dogmatic idealism in the face of a community that dislikes it leads us no where.

I think my post can be summed up with an easy to outline question:

Why does it matter if we aren't playing the game the way it was out of the box?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's not up to me to decide if it's correct or not, it's up to you to show that it's a BAD thing to do.
It's bad because it's downright breaking the law, reduces our playerbase, makes us look bad, loses venues, and is downright cheating.

Why are any of those things relevant to whether something should be banned or not?
If there's nothing relevant, then there's no way to question a rule. Context is ALWAYS important. But then again, context only works if possible. Hacks are Hacks. In-game options are in-game options. They are 100% unrelated. Their similarities do not really exist.

Sorry about that, usually I start throwing in haha's and lol's when I'm trying to seem atleast a LITTLE bit more lighthearted haha
Yeah... tone of voice matters, as does attitude in a debate. Because it makes it hard for me to imagine if you're serious with this or not. Or if you're just egging me on.

This applies to infinite-replays, and textures as well.
Damn straight.

Because it needs to be proven actually bad in enough situations. Tripping is not severely bad or even overdominating the game. It's just a once-in-a-while annoyance. Like getting a static shock. Do you see somebody making a device that eliminates this? No, because it's beyond rare. That's why.

So? Why does the intention of the game designer have any bearing on how we decide is the best way to play, to allow our community to flourish the most?
It does a lot. You say we're playing Brawl, well, we're only playing Brawl if we're playing the copy we bought. We're not playing Brawl anymore by using cheat codes. Because that's not the copy we bought. It's a mod of a game, which is always different from the original.

I would argue that it's the only legitimate reason there is.

Dogmatic idealism in the face of a community that dislikes it leads us no where.

I think my post can be summed up with an easy to outline question:

Why does it matter if we aren't playing the game the way it was out of the box?
Because we're making money off of the game called and outlined strictly as Super Smash Bros. Brawl. If we still call it that while putting on hacks, we're acting making money of a mod of Nintendo's product. Now, using hacks on your own is questionable, but making money of someone else's IP, especially after changing it to our whims? That's downright illegal no matter what. Does it mean every company will sue? NO. But Nintendo can and will. And they'll win because we cannot stop them here. When you bought the Wii(and Brawl), you signed a contract saying that you will only play the system and game as intended. That is, anything within the game/system you can do. Likewise, the idea that hacks are legal only apply if we own the data and can do with it as we wish.

Guess what? That's wrong. We do not own the data whatsoever, and thus, it's illegal to manipulate except where explicitly allowed.(The in-game options are the exact case of this) I think there's a person I can find that can explain this better.

My question to you is this; Why is it alright to break the law?

Now, whether a law is bad or not is not the current question. I think the cheat code rule by them is harsh, no question about that. But basically making money off of modified versions of their game and characters is where I draw the line. I think they'd let us get away with free tourneys with hacks, since it's parody at best.(though they don't like it, they can't ultimately sue or don't have a reason to) But that's not the case.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
It's bad because it's downright breaking the law
So?
reduces our playerbase
Proof? I would argue that in the places that people would use it, it'd be more likely to increase player base.
makes us look bad
To whom, to what degree, evidence, and why that would be detrimental?
loses venues,
Proof? And moreso than having textures has?
and is downright cheating.
Nope, and even if you were to circularly define it as such, to the extent that the word "cheating" would lose the meaning it has that indicates something immoral or detrimental, why would that be bad?

Because it needs to be proven actually bad in enough situations.
Why does that need to be done, if a community would prefer, and grow better, without that analysis? (by this I mean more fundamentally. Of course communities would have discussions over whether banning something would be a good idea for them, so it'll happen every time anyways)

And, while I can't prove to what degree it's bad, I can definitely say that any instance where you might dash, or pivot is a TON of situations.

It does a lot. You say we're playing Brawl, well, we're only playing Brawl if we're playing the copy we bought. We're not playing Brawl anymore by using cheat codes. Because that's not the copy we bought. It's a mod of a game, which is always different from the original.
Yes, but why does that matter? Why would it matter if people hosted tournaments like that?

Like getting a static shock. Do you see somebody making a device that eliminates this? No, because it's beyond rare. That's why.
That's a terrible analogy. The technology to remove static shocks (which are significantly less relevant to day-to-day life in the purpose of your analogy than tripping is) doesn't exist in any accessible way.

If people could, without effort, get rid of feeling static shocks, I guarantee you they would (or atleast some of them would, some of them may not), and the argument of "Well this isn't how God intended the universe to be" would fall pretty flat lol

Because we're making money off of the game called and outlined strictly as Super Smash Bros. Brawl. If we still call it that while putting on hacks, we're acting making money of a mod of Nintendo's product. Now, using hacks on your own is questionable, but making money of someone else's IP, especially after changing it to our whims? That's downright illegal no matter what. Does it mean every company will sue? NO. But Nintendo can and will.
This is incorrect. We've had 3 and a half years of people using infinite replay hacks at tournaments, and there has not been anything even close to action from Nintendo over this.

Blatantly false, and I require evidence taking place in the real world to make me convinced of anything otherwise.

My question to you is this; Why is it alright to break the law?
It's not my job to prove why anything is a fine thing to do.

Why is it okay for you to touch your thumbs to the ceiling? Why is it okay for you to tap your desk with your nose?

It wouldn't be up to you to justify those actions, it'd be up to me to show why those are bad things to do.

Why would breaking the law be inherently bad in this situation?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So? Proof? I would argue that in the places that people would use it, it'd be more likely to increase player base. To whom, to what degree, evidence, and why that would be detrimental? Proof? And moreso than having textures has? Nope, and even if you were to circularly define it as such, to the extent that the word "cheating" would lose the meaning it has that indicates something immoral or detrimental, why would that be bad?
It's alright to break the law and get thrown in jail or worse? Yeah, that's pretty bad. Oh, by the way, they can check the Wii to find actual third party data, like these hacks, and make it unplayable. They can also shut down this messageboard? We look bad enough to other Fighting game communities for removing any part of the game. We look even worse by refusing to accept it's not perfect. And then it gets worse when we refuse to play the official game we PURCHASED.

If you do not understand the consequences of cheating, then you should not be playing games on a national level. Cheating is never allowed, is a terrible thing, is downright insulting to any honest player(the majority of the world, by the way), and is a very poor and pathetic way to win. If you need to cheat to win, then you need practice or you should leave.

Why does that need to be done, if a community would prefer, and grow better, without that analysis? (by this I mean more fundamentally. Of course communities would have discussions over whether banning something would be a good idea for them, so it'll happen every time anyways)
They can't grow better by letting 3rd party devices fix the game for them. They can only grow better through practice and honest hard work. Codes are cutting corners. Now, before you even cite the MK Ban, the context is that we cannot fix the issue through pure practice without cutting tons of things to and putting out rules to make him tolerable. He was the nail in the coffin, and we could either keep variety OR ban him. This is a related situation, to put it simply.

And, while I can't prove to what degree it's bad, I can definitely say that any instance where you might dash, or pivot is a TON of situations.
Why are you dashing and pivoting so much? Why can't you jump more often? Hmm? Are people too used to playing like Melee and refuse to accept that Brawl is NOT like Melee? Well, guess what, Brawl is it's own game, Tripping is a part of it, and removing it stops treating it like Brawl and more like some crappy Mod.

Yes, but why does that matter? Why would it matter if people hosted tournaments like that?
Because we're advertising it as Brawl. When it's not Brawl, we're performing false advertisement, also known as Fraud. And that's illegal and can get you in severe trouble. So yeah, it's not Brawl. It's fine if people want to play a separate game from it, but it'll never be Brawl as long as it is modified. Because that's not Brawl.

That's a terrible analogy. The technology to remove static shocks (which are significantly less relevant to day-to-day life in the purpose of your analogy than tripping is) doesn't exist in any accessible way.
It's the exact same case here. Using Hacks that are illegal is the same as making a machine through illegal methods to remove it. That's the point of analogy. What is terrible is that people thinking cheating to win is A-Okay.

If people could, without effort, get rid of feeling static shocks, I guarantee you they would (or atleast some of them would, some of them may not), and the argument of "Well this isn't how God intended the universe to be" would fall pretty flat lol
If they can do it without breaking the law, they sure as hell would. Once again, context in this case.

This is incorrect. We've had 3 and a half years of people using infinite replay hacks at tournaments, and there has not been anything even close to action from Nintendo over this.
:facepalm: They've been making downloads that are forced onto the Wii whether through new games, the VC, or Wii Connect 24 to try to get rid of the hacks. They've been fighting against hacking since it first came forth. It's just harder now than it used to be. Trying to hover around the law is a very bad idea in the first place. This is probably the reason why hacked Tourneys don't get stickied, just so it ISN'T noticed by any means.

Blatantly false, and I require evidence taking place in the real world to make me convinced of anything otherwise.
You really need to learn how EULAs work. You've always owned the physical copy and the data. ALWAYS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_license Let's start with here.

You are given the right to use exactly what the owner of the actual product tells you you can. You immediately sign it upon paying for the product.

Likewise, when you buy it, you must accept the EULA, it's not even a choice. You do so automatically.

"In addition to granting rights and imposing restrictions on the use of software, software licenses typically contain provisions which allocate liability and responsibility between the parties entering into the license agreement. In enterprise and commercial software transactions these terms (such as limitations of liability, warranties and warranty disclaimers, and indemnity if the software infringes intellectual property rights of others) are often negotiated by attorneys specialized in software licensing. The legal field has seen the growth of this specialized practice area due to unique legal issues with software licenses, and the desire of software companies to protect assets which, if licensed improperly, could diminish their value."

It downright states that while a Lawyer could prove this wrong, we're completely infringing upon their designs and IP. Saying we're not is beyond false. Since what we're doing is far from a parody, we can't even say we're don't something that's perfectly legal.

"In the proprietary software industry, an end-user license agreement or software license agreement is the contract between the licensor and purchaser, establishing the purchaser's right to use the software. The license may define ways under which the copy can be used, in addition to the automatic rights of the buyer including the first sale doctrine and 17 U.S.C. § 117 (freedom to use, archive, re-sale, and backup)."

Now, we can use the software. However, it must specified if we can do anything with the data, which is not the software, either. The software is the system in general. Or the game. We have strictly the right to play. Unless the EULA states we're allowed to manipulate the data(which some do), we cannot legally do that.

"Many EULAs assert extensive liability limitations. Most commonly, a EULA will attempt to hold harmless the software licensor in the event that the software causes damage to the user's computer or data, but some software also proposes limitations on whether the licensor can be held liable for damage that arises through improper use of the software (for example, incorrectly using tax preparation software and incurring penalties as a result). One case upholding such limitations on consequential damages is M.A. Mortenson Co. v. Timberline Software Corp., et al. Some EULAs also claim restrictions on venue and applicable law in the event that a legal dispute arises."

You want proof? Right there.

It's not my job to prove why anything is a fine thing to do.
You're attempting to change the law to benefit some people who can't stand a very tine annoyance. Yeah, it's your job to prove the law wrong. It's always on you in this case. Right now, the current agreement is to not use hacks for standard tourneys. You need to prove us wrong, not the other way around.

Why is it okay for you to touch your thumbs to the ceiling? Why is it okay for you to tap your desk with your nose?
Tell me who you're hurting by doing this. No one. We're infringing on their copyright with hacks, which is hurting them. IP, whatever. I can't even remember the terminology, but that's not the exact point. We are making money off of parodies of their characters. It's illegal because we don't own the characters. This applies in every situation with hacks. We don't own the data, the characters, the gameplay, nothing. But if it's something within the game we purchase, and they say it's alright for us to do with that as we wish(which they find it okay to play the game using the original options, which is a silent but quite clearly intended agreement), then we're fine under all circumstances.

It wouldn't be up to you to justify those actions, it'd be up to me to show why those are bad things to do.

Why would breaking the law be inherently bad in this situation?
And you're doing a very terrible job at proving them okay. Especially when you're fighting against the law, and we've pointed out why it's more than just having fun. It's downright insulting to the actual creator to manipulate their character and make money off of it. Have you ever thought about that? And who you're hurting?

And breaking the law is automatically bad unless you can prove the law bad. If you cannot prove it, you're the bad guy in the situation at all times. This is not the same as "Innocent till prove guilty", mind you. This is you trying to say it's okay to break the law. In fact, they're completely unrelated. If you break the law, they have to prove it. But if you say you will, and they catch you, they now know your intention were downright an attempt to break the law.

But you're completing ignoring the biggest point of all this; The risk factor is severely high here. Smashboards is a great place, and making Hacked Tourneys standards puts us at severe risk for getting it shut down. That and that alone is enough for the Administration to never allow it to be stickied on here. It's also why many are (correctly) fearful of allowing them to be run at their building. It's a risk that's not worth the effort. I'm not a fan of getting sued or shut down. Why should you?

theunabletable

Smash Lord
It's alright to break the law and get thrown in jail or worse?
Loaded question.

Oh, by the way, they can check the Wii to find actual third party data, like these hacks, and make it unplayable.
Oh I didn't realize there was a Nintendo-hack-checker-squad running around.

And also, you do NOT need to hack your Wii and leave traces to remove tripping. Running stacksmash doesn't leave any data on your Wii afterwards at all.

They can also shut down this messageboard?
Why haven't they yet, despite there being a forum on here solely dedicated to hacking the game?

We look bad enough to other Fighting game communities for removing any part of the game. We look even worse by refusing to accept it's not perfect. And then it gets worse when we refuse to play the official game we PURCHASED.
Oh man, we wouldn't want to ruin our great reputation with the traditional fighting game community :/

If you do not understand the consequences of cheating, then you should not be playing games on a national level. Cheating is never allowed, is a terrible thing, is downright insulting to any honest player(the majority of the world, by the way), and is a very poor and pathetic way to win. If you need to cheat to win, then you need practice or you should leave.
You're defining something with a word that's defined as meaning something else, and then treating it as if all the connotations of that "something else" apply to this as well. Once again.

Cheating in a competition is bad, because you are doing something that is AGAINST THE RULES, and something that the other person doesn't have access to. If no-tripping is legal then it is NOT cheating, by that definition of cheating.

hacks -> hacks=cheat codes -> hacks=cheating someone in a competition does NOT follow.

Because we're advertising it as Brawl. When it's not Brawl, we're performing false advertisement, also known as Fraud. And that's illegal and can get you in severe trouble. So yeah, it's not Brawl. It's fine if people want to play a separate game from it, but it'll never be Brawl as long as it is modified. Because that's not Brawl.
ugh

god

Please respond to this part, or agree with it, as it's clear you didn't last time I said it.

The point of words is to communicate meaning. I could call ANYTHING Brawl, and if the audience understood what I was referring to, it wouldn't matter what mode of transport I used, which symbols I tried to convey it with, which sounds I made, which words I used to get across what I was talking about.

You can define any word as anything, and it doesn't matter what that word is defined as if the people who see it and respond to it understand what it's supposed to mean.

We can CALL it whatever we want. We could say "Hey, you wanna go to the Brawl tournament on Sunday? A no tripping code is on, though," or we could say "You wanna go to a Brawlminustripping tournament on Sunday?"

YES, if tripping is removed, it would not be the identical game as Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Nintendo Wii released by Nintendo in 2008. However if it was clear that tripping was removed, there's no need to refer to it as anything other than "Brawl" as, if everyone knows that tripping is removed, it's completely redundant to add it to the title, and it's self-evidently true that it's not, technically, the exact same game as Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

That does NOT mean, however, that we shouldn't refer to it as Brawl. Or that we SHOULD refer to it as Brawl. We should refer to it as whatever is most effective in communicating at that time.

If a community decided to play Brawl where you had to play with blindfolds on, and it was clear to everyone involved that when they referred to "Brawl" they were referring to Brawl with blindfolds on, then it would be COMPLETELY unnecessary to refer to it as anything OTHER than Brawl if the speaker decides that that it was will get the meaning he is trying to convey across most easily.

If a community decides that they like playing Brawl with tripping turned off, it can be called WHATEVER they deem is the best thing to call it, whether that's "Brawl with tripping off" or simply "Brawl".

They can't grow better by letting 3rd party devices fix the game for them. They can only grow better through practice and honest hard work.
Nope, not true. You quite simply don't know more about every single community in the world than they all do about themselves.

Why are you dashing and pivoting so much? Why can't you jump more often? Hmm?
Oh right, dashing and pivoting doesn't happen at the top level.

You really need to learn how EULAs work. You've always owned the physical copy and the data. ALWAYS.
I did not ask for proof that that is how EULAs work, I asked for proof that Nintendo would EVER take action against someone for these hacks. "and there has not been anything even close to action from Nintendo over this."

I do not want proof that EULAs are phrased any particular way. Show me someone on this board who has gotten arrested for hacking the game. Go ahead, there's an entire sub-board devoted to Brawl hacking, that's been around for years. And one devoted to Melee hacking. Find me a venue who has had issue with people having replay codes on. Find me something that shows the potential detriments you mentioned are LEGITIMATE threats, and could happen in the real world.

If hacking is as bad as you claim, with the huge Brawl hacking community there is here, and 3 and a half years of tournaments where people have had hacked Wiis, there should be someone that it's happened to, right?

You're attempting to change the law to benefit some people who can't stand a very tine annoyance.
No I'm not I never said this ever.

The only thing I'm asking for is ONE piece of evidence that any of the threats you've mentioned are legitimate, and that it would be damaging to the community for some people to host non-tripping tournaments.

I don't want you to post what the EULAs say, or how they can be interpreted, that doesn't help us. I don't want you to post a definition of fraud, or mix together definitions of cheating, and use that as a justification for the banning of no-tripping codes.

What I want is clear EVIDENCE that the detriments you're referring to about no-tripping, infinite replays, and texture codes being legal at tournaments that want them (those detriments being legal action against tournament organizers, and against this site), are actual, legitimate THREATS. Things that have happened before, and are likely to happen again.

I want an explanation for why, if these legal issues are as big issues as you make them out to be, why hasn't it been an issue in the past 3 and a half years of texture hacks, and infinite replays, and why hasn't MLG had an issue with a board DEDICATED to the hacking of Brawl?

Cygnet

Smash Apprentice
I guess that makes a lot of sense, if it hurts the community's advancement.

Does anyone know what is the stance of Evo or MLG or things like that on a theoretical no tripping code? I'm sure they don't condone the minor hacking of the game, but other communities also target tripping as one of the reasons Brawl is not as legitimate a game as others are. I'm just wondering what those other communities think about this issue.

The Apex stream had no music hacks, but I'm fairly certain a lot of other set-ups did.... would Evo care if they knew that?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Loaded question.
Answer the the question or concede the point.

Oh I didn't realize there was a Nintendo-hack-checker-squad running around.
Tell the judge that when you get caught.

And also, you do NOT need to hack your Wii and leave traces to remove tripping. Running stacksmash doesn't leave any data on your Wii afterwards at all.
Wrong. You always leave little bits. I need to get an expert in here that'll explain it. But I know this is bullcrap.

Why haven't they yet, despite there being a forum on here solely dedicated to hacking the game?
Because the tourneys are not a standard, so little side crap is not worth it to them. But when it becomes huge and is consistently done to the point of most tourneys being run this way, it's not just noticeable, it means they'll go right down to it. Also, did you forget what I said earlier? They've went out of their ways to make update to remove the hacks. Oh, by the way, think of this way; Venues will actually call the cops on people, and get this place shut down. Very few venues, if any, run hacks. People run hacked tourneys at their own house, where nobody cares. So that greenlight has never come up.

Oh man, we wouldn't want to ruin our great reputation with the traditional fighting game community :/
We wouldn't want to run it deeper than it already is. And they don't care so much about the items, it's the attitude. Likewise, you know, they might actually start to join our community, but hacking drives them off. So, yeah, we lose even MORE players by being truly Scrubby.

You're defining something with a word that's defined as meaning something else, and then treating it as if all the connotations of that "something else" apply to this as well. Once again.
No, I'm treating all forms of cheating as the same thing. Cheats are cheats are cheats. The context has no difference for anyone. Or any player who wants legitimate wins. If they know the game is being modified, then they know it's cheating. If they don't, they're doing it wrong.

Cheating in a competition is bad, because you are doing something that is AGAINST THE RULES, and something that the other person doesn't have access to. If no-tripping is legal then it is NOT cheating, by that definition of cheating.
It's not legal because it's cheating, and it will never become a standard rule because it's a cheat by default. You really don't understand this, do you? There's two things that are being talked about here, Cheating and Cheat CODES. Using Cheat Codes is Cheating, btw. A cheat code, that is, not an EX Menu but an outside modification of a game's coding. By using what is literally called a Cheat Code, we admit we're doing exactly what cheating is, modifying the game. Likewise, that's two different versions of cheating. Oh, and if you want me to be exact? Modifying your game is breaking the rules set by the OWNERS of the data. That's why it's outright cheating.

hacks -> hacks=cheat codes -> hacks=cheating someone in a competition does NOT follow.
Wrong. Cheating is cheating no matter how much you try to justify it. You're breaking the rules of actual created game by modifying it. The game was meant only to be played with the options created for it. Anything else is actual cheating. There is no such thing as "kind of cheating". You are or you aren't. Do you approve of cheating to win? As I said, if you do, I get it. But don't try to say it's not, because it will always be.

ugh

god

Please respond to this part, or agree with it, as it's clear you didn't last time I said it.

The point of words is to communicate meaning. I could call ANYTHING Brawl, and if the audience understood what I was referring to, it wouldn't matter what mode of transport I used, which symbols I tried to convey it with, which sounds I made, which words I used to get across what I was talking about.

You can define any word as anything, and it doesn't matter what that word is defined as if the people who see it and respond to it understand what it's supposed to mean.

We can CALL it whatever we want. We could say "Hey, you wanna go to the Brawl tournament on Sunday? A no tripping code is on, though," or we could say "You wanna go to a Brawlminustripping tournament on Sunday?"
No, no, we can't. We do not own the game itself, and cannot ADVERTISE it as Brawl unless it is actually Brawl. Try and use that crappy logic in any court of law. It will fail all the time. Actually, don't bother. If we're advertising it as Brawl, there will be no codes. Otherwise, we MUST specify it's Brawl with some hacks. Otherwise, we're breaking the law.

[quotepYES, if tripping is removed, it would not be the identical game as Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Nintendo Wii released by Nintendo in 2008. However if it was clear that tripping was removed, there's no need to refer to it as anything other than "Brawl" as, if everyone knows that tripping is removed, it's completely redundant to add it to the title, and it's self-evidently true that it's not, technically, the exact same game as Super Smash Bros. Brawl.[/quote]

It's NO longer Brawl, so you cannot say it is. And no, it's not redundant to specify it's not the same game. Want a realistic situation? An actual law student, or for that matter, a cop, or even a Nintendo(former) employee decides to play in the tournament. They find out it uses hacks. They'll report it, and we'll be swarmed with problems by that alone. Think that doesn't happen? Well, you're wrong. Taking even the chance that we could get severely hurt is a horrible idea. I'm quite against practicing the art of purposely breaking the law, aren't you?

That does NOT mean, however, that we shouldn't refer to it as Brawl. Or that we SHOULD refer to it as Brawl. We should refer to it as whatever is most effective in communicating at that time.
We can call it Brawl without Tripping, then. That's one legal issue solved.

If a community decided to play Brawl where you had to play with blindfolds on, and it was clear to everyone involved that when they referred to "Brawl" they were referring to Brawl with blindfolds on, then it would be COMPLETELY unnecessary to refer to it as anything OTHER than Brawl if the speaker decides that that it was will get the meaning he is trying to convey across most easily.
Except that has zero affect with the data in the game. While it can be called Fraud, it's not the same situation, and is a very strawmanned argument. And you know what? Many would leave or call bull**** on it. This won't work either. No matter what, you won't get good attendees.

If a community decides that they like playing Brawl with tripping turned off, it can be called WHATEVER they deem is the best thing to call it, whether that's "Brawl with tripping off" or simply "Brawl".
Nope, they legally can't. And that TO will be booed out for downright lying to them. Life doesn't work that way. Lying is a pretty bad way to get players, you know. Being completely honest does wonders.

Nope, not true. You quite simply don't know more about every single community in the world than they all do about themselves.
Then why isn't it the Standard? Maybe because they realized that hacks are a shortcut? You give them too little credit. They actually know that PRACTICE makes them better, not cheat codes.

Oh right, dashing and pivoting doesn't happen at the top level.
You mean because Tripping has ever shown to be SUCH a huge impact on gameplay? Oh, wait, no, it hasn't. People hate it, but it hasn't given out enough wins to actually even be a problem, and they still accept it. To be honest, if you cannot stand it, go player ANOTHER game. Go play Melee. You either accept the game you bought, or you move on.

I did not ask for proof that that is how EULAs work, I asked for proof that Nintendo would EVER take action against someone for these hacks. "and there has not been anything even close to action from Nintendo over this."
That Galoob incident, hmm... And actually, the point isn't whether Nintendo specifically did, it's that they can and sure as hell will if it happens enough to get their attention. Taking a chance they won't, well, is it really worth it? Is it worth getting the message board shut down because people are too nitpicky over a tiny issue to follow the law, something much bigger?

I do not want proof that EULAs are phrased any particular way. Show me someone on this board who has gotten arrested for hacking the game. Go ahead, there's an entire sub-board devoted to Brawl hacking, that's been around for years. And one devoted to Melee hacking. Find me a venue who has had issue with people having replay codes on. Find me something that shows the potential detriments you mentioned are LEGITIMATE threats, and could happen in the real world.
I don't need to. In fact, this is downright insulting to every gamer in the world. This is where I draw the line here. You are downright telling us to cheat and treat it as a GOOD thing. Just because they haven't yet doesn't mean they won't. And once again, might I remind you they have added coding even to their own games for updates that shut the hacks down? Or perhaps they're sure that we wouldn't be idiotic enough to actually make it a standard. They have hope for us that we're actually act like responsible people and not break the law on a large scale.

If hacking is as bad as you claim, with the huge Brawl hacking community there is here, and 3 and a half years of tournaments where people have had hacked Wiis, there should be someone that it's happened to, right?
I don't see money being made on it, or maybe they DON'T KNOW we're making money off of it. Almost every hacked tourney is run at somebody's house. In addition, the venues probably don't know of the codes on. So there's also the issue of the Fraud already happening. They just haven't been called out on it, because, let's be honest, the players don't HAVE to.

No I'm not I never said this ever.
Yeah, you actually are. You are trying to promote blatant cheating because of whining over a bad concept. Nothing more.

The only thing I'm asking for is ONE piece of evidence that any of the threats you've mentioned are legitimate, and that it would be damaging to the community for some people to host non-tripping tournaments.
It's damaging because we get less players with hacks. I do not need evidence to tell you that you're downright breaking the law, and I proved that already on why it is.

I don't want you to post what the EULAs say, or how they can be interpreted, that doesn't help us. I don't want you to post a definition of fraud, or mix together definitions of cheating, and use that as a justification for the banning of no-tripping codes.
The game existed well before No-Tripping codes. No-Tripping codes has to be added in. You have to prove why THEY are good for the community using every factor. It's already been proven why it's not. Multiple times. You're just ignoring every factor instead.

What I want is clear EVIDENCE that the detriments you're referring to about no-tripping, infinite replays, and texture codes being legal at tournaments that want them (those detriments being legal action against tournament organizers, and against this site), are actual, legitimate THREATS. Things that have happened before, and are likely to happen again.
Let's turn this around for a second, because once they arrest you and take down this messageboard, the asking for evidence would like pretty stupid in hindsight. You do not need evidence of a company taking down something before(once again, they tried to downright stop Galoob and the Game Genie, and they lost due to both their EULA, and that the way codes were implimented, the IP was not broken. However, our codes actually break their IP, so it's another story. They would WIN the case instead. This site isn't the problem. In fact, hacking is a very insignificant part of the the main Tourney front. We're keeping it small to prevent any chance of legal issues. Oh, and here's the turn-around: Can you actually prove that this is a good thing for the community? That all will benefit from it, that we have ZERO chance of being shut down, AND that every player would be onboard with this? Because if you can't, and every player has actually played the original copy of Brawl, btw, then your ideal solution fails.

I want an explanation for why, if these legal issues are as big issues as you make them out to be, why hasn't it been an issue in the past 3 and a half years of texture hacks, and infinite replays, and why hasn't MLG had an issue with a board DEDICATED to the hacking of Brawl?
MLG had an issue with us taking out items. They're not allowing us to get in because of both items, stages, MK Banned, AND hacks. They might be lenient with the rest, but they will never approve hacks, no matter what. And that's because they actually understand the law and won't go out of their way to break it.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Answer the the question or concede the point.
I refuse to answer it with a yes or no the way it was phrased. It's like me asking you "Do you still beat your wife? Yes or no."

I didn't see any links to evidence regarding this site being told to remove its sections devoted to hacking (a site owned by Major League Gaming).

Tell the judge that when you get caught.
Show me someone in this community who has EVER been put in front of a judge for it.

No, no, we can't. We do not own the game itself, and cannot ADVERTISE it as Brawl unless it is actually Brawl. Try and use that crappy logic in any court of law. It will fail all the time. Actually, don't bother. If we're advertising it as Brawl, there will be no codes. Otherwise, we MUST specify it's Brawl with some hacks. Otherwise, we're breaking the law.
Show me anyone in this community who has ever been in a court of law for that.

It's not a matter of the law, that is of no threat to any of us (maybe you can provide evidence that it has been a threat to anybody on this site, in regards to hacking their game?) It's a matter of communication, and how it works.

It's NO longer Brawl, so you cannot say it is.
Yes I can, I can call anything anything that I want to.

Words do not INHERENTLY have meaning, it's only the meaning we give them that matters, and we can give meaning to any set of sounds or symbols that we want.
Yeah, you actually are. You are trying to promote blatant cheating because of whining over a bad concept. Nothing more.
This isn't even related to the thing that I was referring to in the part you quoted!

You are downright telling us to cheat and treat it as a GOOD thing.
No I'm not, STOP strawmanning me.

Nope, they legally can't. And that TO will be booed out for downright lying to them. Life doesn't work that way. Lying is a pretty bad way to get players, you know. Being completely honest does wonders.
Pound 5 was ran with every Wii intended to have an infinite replays code on! And Project M was run there!

Many, many tournaments have texture hacks, and infinite replay hacks on their Wiis, without advertising it.

Apex 2010 ran a Brawl minus tournament.

IIRC lots of european tournaments have tripping off, though I can't verify it. It might have just been speculation due to the matches on their main video channel like NEVER having anyone trip lol

What you said is factually untrue.

Can you actually prove that this is a good thing for the community? That all will benefit from it
I would definitely say that the communities that would use hacks would gain from it, if they decided that using them was in their best interest.

Refer to: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=317460 for my arguments on that.

Think that doesn't happen? Well, you're wrong.

PROVE IT. SHOW ME ANYONE IN THIS COMMUNITY THAT IT HAS HAPPENED TO

I don't have the patience to go everything you say, and point out the factual inaccuracies that plagues so much of it. The only thing I ask for is some kind of evidence based in the actual world that backs that claim, that it DOES happen, and that I AM wrong.

God I feel like I'm being trolled completely, and if so, you have completely gotten me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I refuse to answer it with a yes or no the way it was phrased. It's like me asking you "Do you still beat your wife? Yes or no."
Then you concede the point. You either approve of cheating or you don't. The context is in competitive play.

I didn't see any links to evidence regarding this site being told to remove its sections devoted to hacking (a site owned by Major League Gaming).
Because the tourneys are one-offs by random TO's at their own house, and are not a standard. This may, just be the reason it's not a standard. So we don't lose our Sponsor.

Show me someone in this community who has EVER been put in front of a judge for it.

Show me anyone in this community who has ever been in a court of law for that.
No, I don't have to show you any of this crap. You still refuse to PROVE that hacks are considered okay by the community. I've shown you multiple reasons why we don't approve it. And once again, the Galoob problem. They won only because they actually didn't break the IP. Otherwise, they wouldn't have. That's your proof. Nintendo has gone out of their way to delete the hacks. We do not need to "show that" to know it's a stupid risk to take. What is honestly pathetic about this is that people think that "if they didn't get caught before, I will never get caught". That train of thought is dangerous and is asking you for it. I mean, any player right now could report this to Nintendo, and this attitude is exactly a good incentive to do it.

It's not a matter of the law, that is of no threat to any of us (maybe you can provide evidence that it has been a threat to anybody on this site, in regards to hacking their game?) It's a matter of communication, and how it works.
It's always a threat to us. It's called being LUCKY that we haven't been shut down or touched. The fear is beyond legitimate and always will be. The communication is that nobody greenlighted it to Nintendo yet.

Yes I can, I can call anything anything that I want to.

Words do not INHERENTLY have meaning, it's only the meaning we give them that matters, and we can give meaning to any set of sounds or symbols that we want.
You keep using that word, but it means absolutely nothing. The game is CALLED Super Smash Bros. Brawl. If we advertise it as that game, then players know it'll be the exact copy we picked up. We even so much as specify what hacks are being played. If it'll affect gameplay, they sure as hell want to know this, and finding out a code is on that, you know, changes the outcome of the match? They would want to know about this. That tiny little code called "No Tripping" affects matches specifically. So yeah, not telling them doesn't work out very well.

PROVE IT. SHOW ME ANYONE IN THIS COMMUNITY THAT IT HAS HAPPENED TO
How about you prove that it can't happen. Because YOU are trying to make hacks the standard. If you can actually prove that Nintendo cannot shut us down, then we can make it the standard. If you cannot, it won't happen. I'll repeat this till you do it, because you need to. Those that are trying to get rules to be changed have to prove why and if it'll work.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Then you concede the point. You either approve of cheating or you don't. The context is in competitive play.
hold on
if I conceded to what you said

it wouldn't even be related to what you said just now

You asked "It's alright to break the law and get thrown in jail or worse?"

and I refused to answer that.

That has NOTHING to do with cheating.

Because the tourneys are one-offs by random TO's at their own house, and are not a standard. This may, just be the reason it's not a standard. So we don't lose our Sponsor.
Pound 5 and Apex 2010 weren't hosted in someone's house.

Actually, I've been to more tournaments with a setup that has infinite replays and textures than I've been to tournaments without them.

What you said is factually incorrect.

You still refuse to PROVE that hacks are considered okay by the community.
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=8080
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=8205
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=11647
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=12016 (this one actually had two Brawl minus setups, with players not even from the vBrawl community who came to it to play Brawl minus)
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=12029
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=11977
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=11875
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=12401
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=7020
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=7358
Pound V (this one had a Project M tournament (Apex 2010 had a Brawl minus tournament btw) and the intention, actually, was for every single setup to have an infinite replays code, to make sure everything important got saved. I'm not sure if this actually happened, although many of the setups DID have that code, but, and I could probably find the quote, I'm fairly certain that it was the intention (atleast as much the intention as people getting their money was lol))
Genesis 2 (this one had a Project M tournament, actually, and many of the setups had infinite replays and a code that prevents you from leaving the results screen without saving a replay)

These are just off the top of my head, and tournaments that I've personally BEEN to with hacked Wiis. Honestly I would expect that the majority of tournaments have had hacked Wiis.

If that's not evidence of atleast SOME of the community approving of hacks (if not almost the entire community), I don't know what would be.

What is honestly pathetic about this is that people think that "if they didn't get caught before, I will never get caught". That train of thought is dangerous and is asking you for it. I mean, any player right now could report this to Nintendo, and this attitude is exactly a good incentive to do it.
Except it's not dangerous.

Of course correlation doesn't equate causation, but when we also take into account how completely trivial it is for Nintendo to take action against some TOs having a no tripping code, it would make sense that it's a complete non-issue.

Hell, no player has ever even had a lawsuit against someone for not paying out the full (or any of) the pot, and that's happened quite a few times, and is far more personal, and there's much more of an incentive to pursue action.

So yeah, not telling them doesn't work out very well.
I never advocated lying to people.

How about you prove that it can't happen.
I can't prove a negative. You can't prove definitively that unicorns don't exist, or that fairies don't, or that the Earth isn't flat.

I can show that it's never happened before ever, and give a reason for that, and for why it'll very likely never happen, and I can give a lot of evidence for instances where it's been done and no action has been done. I can give evidence for MLG not even attempting to prohibit the creation of these hacks, and not only that, but ENCOURAGE IT, with the creation of a Brawl hacking forum on a site owned by them.

But, no, it's not possible for me to prove that it CANNOT happen, and that can't be done in any scenario at all.

Because YOU are trying to make hacks the standard.
No I'm not I never said this.

I'll repeat this till you do it, because you need to.
Prove to the world that the sun isn't actually a laser that sometimes selectively destroys people who leave their home, or else we can never be sure that won't happen, and we should just stay home all the time.

Proving a negative is IMPOSSIBLE. If it is, tell me what kind of evidence would be necessary to prove that it wouldn't happen.

Show me evidence that what you're talking about is even remotely LIKELY.

In case it helps, I'm going to compile a short list of relevant links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot (I can't prove definitively a negative)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawman_fallacy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_quoting_out_of_context
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_fallacy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oa_3HC8vdQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyOHJa5Vj5Y

Perhaps instead of continuing this ridiculous discussion on the legality of it, in which you present an unfalsifiable claim, and refuse to back it up with evidence when asked, and ask for it to be disproven instead, we could maybe have a discussion on what you call "cheating" and get that worked out?

Dr. R.O.Botnik

Smash Journeyman
The past three pages have been a guy with a few good points arguing said points extremely poorly and another guy calling the first guy stupid. Typical Smashboards.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Even if no tripping was trivial, I don't see the reason to only fix one dumb part of the game with hacks if you can fix all the dumb things. (Ganon's fair says hi, so does RCO lag)
You could even do stuff like remove infinites and always give the suiciding character a win since many tournaments have those rules.
Unfortunately the more stuff you change the harder it will be to get new players involved in the scene, which is why a hack such as BBrawl wouldn't ever work as the standard.

And Table you can't really advertise a tournament with a no tripping code a "Brawl" tourney, though it doesn't take much to say "Brawl less tripping" or something.

Anyway no tripping is a fairly major change, dash dancing and its pivot variant become much more viable for example. Characters with pivot grab infinites on Wario don't have to worry about tripping, neither does D3 in his chain-grab, or ICs in their dash variation (which I'd assume allows them to get away from snake's grenades easier).
It's a universal change but I mean so is taking away everyone's jab, characters won't be affected equally and balance will change.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
And Table you can't really advertise a tournament with a no tripping code a "Brawl" tourney, though it doesn't take much to say "Brawl less tripping" or something.
Well, like, it depends on what exactly you mean here lol.

I definitely would agree that it's kind of ridiculous to advertise a tournament as a vBrawl tournament, and never say that the Wiis'll have no-tripping on. But I don't see much of an issue with putting the little Brawl tag next to it on smashboards, or saying that it's "Brawl" and not "other" on AllisBrawl lol.

Dunno, it seems fairly unimportant. It's probably the best idea in most situations to make it known on the title that it's a tripping-less tournament, because that's just so out of the ordinary, and you're likely to cause confusion, but it doesn't seem like a requirement or anything to have it in the TITLE of the tournament lol

but in the details, yeah, of course. The rules of the tournament should always be like on the page for the tournament lol, it shouldn't be a secret thing.

Anyway no tripping is a fairly major change, dash dancing and its pivot variant become much more viable for example.
ehhh they get more viable in a way, but they're both still pretty useless.

Dash dancing in Brawl is like having an even more uncomfortable to perform Sheik dash dance, without the ability to shield out of it, and you can ONLY dash dance IN PLACE, you can't dash dance, and then when someone comes at you, dash the other way, and continue your dash dance a few feet over.

I doubt that dash dancing would become common in the slightest, and I present the videos on this channel as evidence: http://www.youtube.com/user/SmashTournoi

While perhaps there might be a few videos with tripping on, I've never actually seen anyone on that channel trip lol.

And I would say that's pretty good evidence of a new trick like dash dancing not being useful if tripping isn't a factor, the Europeans tend to try and play fast and ****, and if extended dash dancing were useful, they'd be the first to use it lol

It's a universal change but I mean so is taking away everyone's jab, characters won't be affected equally and balance will change.
I don't think this is all that important, really. The balance will change to a very minor degree, in the same vein that ANY rule change would change the balance.

10 minutes instead of 8 changes the balance very slightly, 1 or 2 stocks instead of 3 changes the balance very slightly. Some stages on, and some off definitely change the balance.

Dunno, with something that would affect that in a pretty minor way (and in the way it'd affect that would have more to do with results being inherently more consistent, and less random too lol), it seems just odd to oppose it due to balance reasons.

Removing Pictochat affects balance, but a lot of that is due to random bull**** being simply less important, and the game focusing more on, well, not random effects lol.

Perhaps it's not for everyone (I'm not saying that we should force it onto people, or that , I guess there's a group of people who just rely on tripping to win or something, but it seems certainly understandable that some people would prefer to play without it, and that they might have a lot to gain from playing without tripping. SmashTournoi is one of the (if not, then the absolute) most beloved Brawl tournament match channels, due to high quality recordings, and due to how much more fast paced and exciting the matches are. No one tripping all the time is probably a contributor, and it would make sense, right?

Some people would really have a lot to gain from removing it, for an extremely low cost.

Dr. R.O.Botnik

Smash Journeyman
Tripping is not that big of a deal. Do you realize how small 1% is? The only real, consistent effect it has on the game is that you can't DD like a ******, which is good (although, admittedly, tripping was a stupid way of stopping this). If it is really that big of a ****ing deal to you, go do Brawl + or BBrawl tourneys, or just go play Melee or 64.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually, that number isn't perfectly accurate. It's old and doesn't specify our latest tournaments. On the other hand, the number still wouldn't have risen that much to matter.

In addition, seriously, go player other versions and let the other people have their normal version of the game.

Oh, since people love to bring up other Mods, those are not only all on the PC, but the Companies there encourage it. Regular Video Game Companies do not encourage modding as is.(that is, outside of PC Gaming) Just something to chew on.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Do you realize how small 1% is? The only real, consistent effect it has on the game is that you can't DD like a f*ggot, which is good (although, admittedly, tripping was a stupid way of stopping this).
Of course that's the only consistent effect it has, it's RANDOM, it's inherently inconsistent lol.

I mean, for one, it's 1% for an action that's performed comparably often to jumping. And the issue isn't that it's 1%, it's not 1/100 you'll trip. Sometimes you'll trip more often than others, it's completely unpredictable. You could, unpredictably, lose a lot of money at a tournament because of it.

And tripping isn't even what stops dash dancing. Dash dancing isn't like helpful when all the things that made it good, the ability to cancel your dash with stuff, were removed anyways in Brawl lol. All you can do out of a dash dance anymore is dash attack, and aerials, and you can't cancel a run into any attacks other than dash attack, and aerials. And the timing for the dash dance is like stricter than Sheik's in Melee, so you can't even juke out an attack, and then continue a dash dance. And my evidence that this is how it works out in the real world is, once again, the smashtournoi channel.

If it is really that big of a f*cking deal to you, go do Brawl + or BBrawl tourneys, or just go play Melee or 64.
What if I don't wanna play Brawl+ or BBrawl, but I don't like tripping lol?

In addition, seriously, go player other versions and let the other people have their normal version of the game.
I love how you act as if this mindset is different from what I'm advocating lol. I guess it is though, in that I think this mindset should apply for everyone, and not just when it's convenient for me.

People should be able to play whatever they want without being hindered by people who are completely irrelevant to what they're doing. There's no such thing as a victimless crime; if it's victimless, then it's not a crime lol.

Dr. R.O.Botnik

Smash Journeyman
It will never happen. The Pandora's Box that it would open would be too huge for the small reward of not having that one extremely small element.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
But it doesn't open any pandora's box, that's a really good example of the slippery slope fallacy lol

What you're saying is simply not the case, and is a self-fulfilling prophecy more than anything.

For the record, if EVERYONE'S issue with tripping is that they don't want an additional reason to buff Ganon, or nerf MK, or whatever, that'll never become an issue, because it's evidently clear that NO ONE wants to do that lol

Like it just seems really ridiculous to me that you're proposing that the ONLY thing in the way of us buffing Ganon, nerfing MK, removing random chance from misfire, or w/e is that we haven't removed random tripping yet.

If you ask anyone honestly in the community "Why haven't we buffed Ganon and nerfed MK and changed all our stages around with hacks yet?" I doubt you're going to get the response, "Well... we just haven't gotten rid of tripping yet, is the issue :/ That's the main roadblock, currently."

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I say we should hack Ganon so that Warlock Punch is three times as fast. Why can't we do that?
You can.

You might run into troubles, though, finding a community who really wants a 3 times as fast warlock punch, along with finding enough SD cards to support it, as specific character changes usually require .pacs to put on your SD card, and if you do that, you have to keep the SD card in the whole time, so you'd need an SD card for every single Wii at the venue, whereas GCT based codes only need to be loaded once.

That's a weird thing to desire, though. I mean, warlock punch being 300% too slow isn't the kind of thing that's spawned hundreds of videos of hatred, and hasn't been a detriment on every single person's opinions of the game. But if you've got the pre-requisites, go right ahead, I have no reason to stop you c:

Also make the knee hitbox the size of Bowser.
Alright, go for it. If you've got an audience of people just dying to play with vFalcon+knee hitbox the size of Bowser, go ahead and do it.

Although that does seem like a bit of an obnoxious change lol

So you guys would both honestly (and by honestly, I mean genuinely. Self honesty and stuff) say that the reason you aren't playing with a Brawl that has Falcon's knee hitbox the size of Bowser, and a 3 times as fast Warlock Punch is because the no-tripping code isn't used?

That's a weird reason to not use something lol.

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
We're saying that if tripping is ok, so is doing all of that crap. We can all agree that hacking to make Ganon better would improve the game, just like hacking to remove tripping. If we ban tripping, but don't fix other similar elements, we are using a double standard.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
We're saying that if tripping is ok, so is doing all of that crap.
I'm saying it's a bad analogy; because there's no demand for warlock punch being 300% faster, but there's clearly a demand, a desire, for tripping, really only a detrimental mechanic, to be removed. Tripping is also simpler to remove in a tournament setting than the Warlock Punch buff (although if there are people willing to not make this an issue, then it isn't an issue, but it's a contributing factor for why there won't develop a community that wants to remove all those other things).

It'd be fine if people wanted to buff warlock punch, but that community doesn't exist, and so the important factor (a demand for it) is missing, and the analogy fails to be, well, analogous.

The two aren't similar, "doing all of that crap" doesn't have the same important trait that the removal of tripping does, and so, the reasons for not "doing all of that crap" are not the same as our reasons for not removing tripping.

If we ban tripping, but don't fix other similar elements, we are using a double standard.
No, it's not a double standard. There's no community desiring the buffing of Ganon's warlock punch to the extent that they would like to host Ganon's warlock punch-stronger tournaments without being laughed at (or hindered or anything). There's never been anyone who's gone "Well I'd buff Ganon's warlock punch, but you know, tripping's still around, so I guess it's w/e." It's circular. Our main reason for not removing tripping is that it would lead us to doing all sorts of other things (slippery slope fallacy,) and our reason for not doing all those other things is because we haven't "opened the pandora's chest" and gotten rid of tripping yet.

Although it is committing a double standard to say that communities SHOULDN'T remove tripping if it'd be what's best for them, when we've advocated out of game rules, such as LGLs, and all of our rules (using a timer, playing in multiplayer, playing stock, stage striking, it being the standard to use tio instead of the tournament mode, etc) are based purely on subjective preference.

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
I'm against lgl's too. The game doesn't give us the ability to limit the amount of times you can grab the ledge, or jab, or use a special, or grab your opponent, so we shouldn't either. Using timers, stock, picking the stage, etc. are options that the game gives us to use, so we are obligated to use them to create the most competitive scenario using the in-game options. However, if we hack the game to change an aspect of the game that was not intended to be changed, there is absolutely no reason why we can't do the same to buff Ganon's punch, or to change the teching window, or to make airdodges slower, or whatever we want to do! And cut the bull about the demand aspect; if the community wanted Ganon buffed, you wouldn't do it anyway, because changing something we don't like, even though the game doesn't give us that option, is asinine.

Top Bottom