• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shoot First, Ask Questions Later: The Samus Tactical Discussion & Q&A Thread

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
We have a hard time with him because of his ridiculous reach, regardless of whether or not we're camping. Using generalized statements like that isn't accurate, either.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hello Samus boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!

AgentObvious

Smash Cadet
Mind games aren't objective. There are no good or bad mind games, it just depends on the person you are playing against. If he knows you will try to mind game he won't fall for it, yet if he isn't aware you will try to mind game he will be caught off guard. Plus I feel that mind games should be thought of by oneself because once again mind games aren't objective. One might think that something is a mind game while you do not.

MasterKurei

Smash Apprentice
Oh cool sounds good ill give it a try and make my own MG's. Thankz Bro.:bee:

How can i do the double missile thing as i hit the ground? o.O

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Try not to double post, with recentness, at least. To shoot to missiles from a short-hop: As you're rising input for the first missile, then buffer the second missile. I think it's easier to do with Super Missiles. Adds a bit more pressure to shields. I think it'd be in better interest to use Seekers, though, as they chase down the opponent (to an extent), and can be better on following up.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
He means missle cancel.

As you are about to LAND, shoot a missle. The moment you see your cannon release the missle, try to shoot another one. You will seamlessly shoot it. Thats what you are looking for.

Judo777

Smash Master
Maybe I'm just doin it wrong but WHY THE HELL CAN'T SAMUS B REVERSE ANY OF HER MOVES?

I can't seem to B reverse her charge beam, missles, bombs (would it even do anything?) or screw attack?

AgentObvious

Smash Cadet
Indeed, you cannot wavebounce any of Samus's moves. You can just reverse them in the air by pressing the opposite direction you are facing just before inputting the move, this only works with special moves though. For missiles (Side-B) it wouldn't be required as you already turn around when doing it in the opposite direction, it's only useful for Charge Shot (Neutral-B) really.

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
Should have put this in the match-up thread but oh well.

How do you guys feel about the Ic's vs. Samus match-up? The match-up thread says 50-50 but the match-up thread seems to be a little too opinionated for my taste, so I'd rather just ask myself. I ask because I two stocked a pretty good climbers (Ori bro) this weekend in friendlies at SiiS with her but was only able to play one game against him, so I'm not too sure of how well she does against Ic's that know the match-up. While playing, I noticed that being in the air half of the time, bombs, platforms, and a still existent huge surprise factor all really helped me win the match. And after talking with both him and lain, I found out that she is actually pretty hard to cg for the climbers and that the match-up isn't that bad for her if she knows it. So with all of that in mind, for the Samus mains who often play good ic's, how do you feel about the match-up, and is she a viable cp against ic's?

Throwback

Smash Lord
samus is only hard to cg until the IC's uses the ice block CG, whatever that's called. Personally I hate the mu because once they get you on the ledge it becomes quite difficult to get off. All the vids I've ssen of other samus players they do fine tho

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
samus is only hard to cg until the IC's uses the ice block CG, whatever that's called. Personally I hate the mu because once they get you on the ledge it becomes quite difficult to get off. All the vids I've ssen of other samus players they do fine tho
I believe it's called wobbling. I played cheese in my last tourney and he had no problem CGing me without wobbling. I lost all my stocks to that grab. I dunno much about the MU though. I went to BF and tried platform camping, but I guess I didn't camp hard enough.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Bumping this cause I have a question for IsmaR.

I remember asking something here before and iirc, you also used WiiChuck.
What controller set-up do you use?
Also, do you think I should turn on Shake Smash to help SDI, or is D-pad and analog stick enough?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
lol Shake Smash. Personally, I'd go with whatever feels more comfortable to you, and whatever satisfies your needs more.

My usual set up varies, I switch between running full d-pad set to smashes, to leaving side on the d-pad set to grab/Z-air. I have tried some stupidly custom set ups, but gets tedious trying to stick to one without regret/mixin it up. Takes gettin use to, but I find it easier to pull certain things off with WiiChuck v GC, SDI being one of them occasionally.

Blissard

Smash Lord
One other thing: do you have tap jump on? I usually have it off, but I find it hard to UpB OoS cause my left index finger has to let go of Z to hit the jump button :/

Thankies :D

What's up Samus mains?

I have a couple of questions I want to ask and I'd like you guys to help me answer them. They're all related to Norfair by the way.

1) How does your character fare with just the stage? Does your character benefit from the layout and the numerous hazards or do they normally hinder you?
2) How does your character generally fare on this stage against certain matchups? Does he excel in a lot of them and only has a few bad MUs, or is he generally bad on this stage against a large portion of the cast?
3) What are some general strategies for your character on this stage? Controlling the center? Stalling? Staying mobile?
4) Overall, would you say that this stage is mostly good for your character, mostly bad, or depends?

Thanks in advance!

This mass survey across most of the character boards is admin approved.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
omg its my favorite stage in the game for samus and pikachu <33333

sadly its been so long since norfair has been allowed and my playstyle has changed so much since then i cant really answer your question for samus :D

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
1. The BBR MU chart has :samus2: vs :popo: as -3 for Samus. I was wondering what the general Samus opinion was. After watching Cheese vs Noid it doesn't look like a nearly unwinnable MU. Then again Noid is pretty **** with Samus.

2. Is it weird I prefer using :samus2: over :zerosuitsamus:? lol

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
1. The BBR MU chart has :samus2: vs :popo: as -3 for Samus. I was wondering what the general Samus opinion was. After watching Cheese vs Noid it doesn't look like a nearly unwinnable MU. Then again Noid is pretty **** with Samus.

2. Is it weird I prefer using :samus2: over :zerosuitsamus:? lol
Maybe +1 ICs. Personally, I'd say 0 flat and I've played the majority of good ICs out there. But since I'm only one voice, it doesn't mean much.

And no. It's not weird.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
From my view, it seems like Samus has some legitimate responses to things that give most low tiers a lot of issues. Like Blizzard Walls seem to get stopped by Charge Shot and Zair and it seems like Samus doesnt have a lot of difficulty taking advantage of separated ICs. Plus having the means to camp efficiently never hurt anyone against ICs.

Xyro (name search bait) what do you think?

Also I just like Samus for some reason. I'd play her if I had a reason tbh.

What do you even practice as Samus though?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
camping, spacing, zoning. also i like how a horizontally spaced dair from samus will knock ics out of grab range, good for getting the pesky things away from your landing zone

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
um the only time i used it in tourney was vs zigstas bowser and it went last stock last hit and still lost, this was at genesis btw. and ive gotten fifth out of twenty six at a low tier tourney with it. i really just have a lot of fun playing her

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
From my view, it seems like Samus has some legitimate responses to things that give most low tiers a lot of issues. Like Blizzard Walls seem to get stopped by Charge Shot and Zair and it seems like Samus doesnt have a lot of difficulty taking advantage of separated ICs. Plus having the means to camp efficiently never hurt anyone against ICs.

Xyro (name search bait) what do you think?

Also I just like Samus for some reason. I'd play her if I had a reason tbh.

What do you even practice as Samus though?
IMO IC are a really tough character to grade. You gotta look at 2 things. 1: How good are they at the zero to death CG? 2: How good are they at power shielding? If they can do those 2 things at least 70% of the time, samus loses BADLY. But if you are ever in doubt or just dont wanna take the chance, ban/strike FD and platform camp on every stage and things will be in your favor.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
If it's legal at the tournament you're at, I recommend picking Pokémon Stadium 2 as a counter-pick stage. The lower gravity during the air transformation and low traction on the ice portion make it very difficult for the Ice Climbers to land a grab on Samus.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
If it's legal at the tournament you're at, I recommend picking Pokémon Stadium 2 as a counter-pick stage. The lower gravity during the air transformation and low traction on the ice portion make it very difficult for the Ice Climbers to land a grab on Samus.
Ah interesting bit of info. I'm not really comfortable with PS2 seeing how I play very little on that stage. Looks like I'll need to play there more often to get comfortable.

Top Bottom