• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I love this thread.

<333333333333333333333

Speaking of actual sheik stuff.

I'm considering using drop off nairs more replacing drop off bairs for edgeguards.

I'm also trying to think of fun ways to incorporate her awkward wall jump.

Any ideas?

*Glares at soap*

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Runoff bair is the best edgeguard vs spacies... when they're below the stage. Just gotta make sure to either weak hit or exchange hits down below so you get popped up.

Luma

Smash Lord
i like nair from the ledge, you can do some really cool stuff after it

they have low %, just do it again or downsmash
they have mid/high %, they can either tech or get hit to the other side
if they techjump with upb, just do a wd bair from the egde, if they tech to upb, nair again or downsmash
if they tech(jump) to illusion you might still hit them with a tilt or downsmash

with the runoff bair you might get shinespiked or spiked if they can tech, and since bair is so ****ing amazing its kinda hard to trade, esp with falco (atleast for me)

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
ahha yeah thats the thing about forces, they are comfort shoes. I rock DWades for hooops

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Sorry I just realized I was being mad vague about what I meant.

I meant I'm using drop off nairs to deal with Spacies that try to hug the stage for fire foxes.

I'm also using the drop off nair to deal with spacies that try to fire fox but they potentially have the option to firefox into the stage and hug it for the sweetspot, overshoot it, or go straight for the edge.

Nair -> fair raaaapes =D.

earla

Smash Lord
whats the best move out of crouch cancel with sheik.

d-tilt?
d-smash?
grab?

and up to what % does is it still useful?

what are the most effective times to use it?

how does SDI work in melee. is it the same as brawl? how do i use it?

cheers

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Grab if you can get it.

D-tilt at high percent or if they don't CC.

D-smash otherwise.

If you hold down diagonally down and forward you can crouch and F-tilt so if they space really far away sometimes it's worthwhile to CC F-tilt but in close range it blindspots so grab and D-tilt are better in those cases.

CC depends on move. I do it at any percent with Sheik because even when it starts to knock you over you can just tech those and live longer anyway.

SDI is the same. There is hitlag when you are hit. You can move during this time by hitting the control stick (you can hit it more than once). That is SDI. The SDI time (hitlag) is reduced in Melee comparative to Brawl but functionally it is the same.

SDI is most useful to escape multihit moves like Fox Dair and Uair.

earla

Smash Lord
I can't short hop fast fall fair under platforms ie. on stages like yoshi story and fountain of dreams.

any tips?

thank u.

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
KK posting:

The business entails anything between a simple loss and horrible ****.

Sheik is the only character that really shuts down most of what makes Marth good. She's awesome like that.

That is why Marths hate us.

Luma

Smash Lord
any1 interested in pal sheik vids? next weekend will be a quite big tournament, from what i know all top 5 sheiks will be there so i guess there will be plenty of good matches from us (top5 would be amsah, adam, dahean, me and not quite sure who would be the 5th but we there are always enough good players who 2nd her ^^)

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
any1 interested in pal sheik vids? next weekend will be a quite big tournament, from what i know all top 5 sheiks will be there so i guess there will be plenty of good matches from us (top5 would be amsah, adam, dahean, me and not quite sure who would be the 5th but we there are always enough good players who 2nd her ^^)
Of course. Always love video's of any sheiks. I still learn quite a bit from PAL sheiks.

earla

Smash Lord
what are applications for nair?

when would i use it over fair?

do moves diminish enough to have any real effect? like brawl)

cheers.

Cia

das kwl
^ the only case i know of is While peach downsmashes a grabbed opponent. Norally, one hit knocks them out of the grab. when stale, the opponent remains grabbed and eats all hits.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
^ the only case i know of is While peach downsmashes a grabbed opponent. Norally, one hit knocks them out of the grab. when stale, the opponent remains grabbed and eats all hits.
It doesn't have anything to do with stale hits IIRC.

It has something to do with hitstun of grab attacks.

For example, look at wobbling. Wobbling is just alternating first, a grab attack with f-tilt. The reason the ftilt doesn't send them out of the grab if you do it correctly is because they are stuck in the hitstun frames of the grab attack.

Same thing for peach's dsmash.

There is a video of someone showing this stuff. The guy does a fully charged fsmash with climbers, but just before it hits he grab attacks and he doesn't go anywhere. If I find it I'll link you ;)

To answer your question though, earla. Yes ALL moves in melee do diminish in melee very similar to how they diminish in brawl.

The major difference is that knockback is virtually UNaffected by diminished movesets.

raychun1

Smash Apprentice
went to show my your moves this past weekend, mango won of course.

i got knocked out by big D's falco, but the experience didn't change my opinion on the sheik vs falco matchup at all. i think it's 50-50 all the way, alldai. i remember trying to think of a good stage to counterpick falco on, and there really isn't one. vice versa, there really isn't a stage i don't really hate playing falco against. FD maybe, but i banned it. i really can't think of another stage i would hate playing falco against.

i also think the matchup is a lot about percentages, just like KK posted in the matchup thread. however, there's no way that sheik has more aerial priority than falco. the only difference is range.

another thing i learned: the sheik vs ganon matchup is NOT ****. it's a myth; ganon does fine against sheik. there's no way that's a **** matchup. i'm not even sure if sheik counters ganon anymore.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
falco eats sheik up on rainbow cruise

alternately, i think sheik can get a good edge from brinstar or maybe even mute city
I actually think... that on MC Falco is maybe even or has a better chance.

Brinstar is all about the knowledge of the stage.

Falco ***** sheik EVERYWHERE :laugh::laugh::laugh:

soap

Smash Hero
i too was at smym, i thought u were there tec, i heard your name being called for pools. When i went to find you i saw this korean dude playing fox with a teczero tag. Then i found out it was jungle lol.

well at least i finally met him. we played some friendlies, it was a good time.

falco sheik is 50/50, annoying to play on both sides.

i also saw m2k's sheik, very impressive in person. He reminds me of my sheik, but like, sped up, and more efficient.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
i too was at smym, i thought u were there tec, i heard your name being called for pools. When i went to find you i saw this korean dude playing fox with a teczero tag. Then i found out it was jungle lol.

well at least i finally met him. we played some friendlies, it was a good time.

falco sheik is 50/50, annoying to play on both sides.

i also saw m2k's sheik, very impressive in person. He reminds me of my sheik, but like, sped up, and more efficient.
LOL The idea was for him to pretend he was me and that I was him at the tourney I was going to.

Everyone knew me though so my side didn't really work =(.

Junglefever shoulda just kept pretending he was me :laugh:. It woulda made for funnier stories. I however do plan on going to MW one of these days. Maybe I can meet and play you sometime ;)

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Luma, I'm definitely interested in some innovative Sheik edgeguards from the PAL version.

Also, Sheik ***** Ganon, watch M2K vs Kage from Genesis.

bananarama

Smash Rookie
Also, Sheik ***** Ganon, watch M2K vs Kage from Genesis.
Is watching two matches of one of the greatest Shieks out there (as well as one of the best players) really effective at deciding a matchup?

Also I know that there is a whole thread on needling now, but I might as well ask this while I am here. Does anybody know when needling as an edge guard stuns recovering characters? Like how sometimes needles are capable of enough hit stun that most characters are in capable of up-bing until it's too late but there are other times when a character can still up-b immediately after getting hit by needles? Or is that just a noob misconception?

soap

Smash Hero
needles always stun, but not for very long.

if u needle their sweet spot, u usually want to go down there yourself and get your hands dirty.

Top Bottom