• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
All you need vs Peach is bair. I don't see this whole cornering thing being a problem. You kill her so ridiculously low on YS that it doesn't even matter. FD is fine because I don't feel like explaining it at this hour.

You could still run into trouble on DL with getting "cornered". You have people like Armada who expect you to go on a platform and then they nair you.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
You need to be good at wd out of shield to prevent Falco from locking you down. Jump over and space aerials. Predict lasers with dash attack or grab. Tech chase with dash attack for tech rolls.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
i got wd oos on lockdown
what about like jumping over a laser and needling

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i usually just move around on platforms a bunch and try to come down after a laser with fair. Shield into WD back or jumping onto a platform to bait their approach and then hit->grab->stock. This stuff ***** the bad falcos i play against locally, and should work for a decent base.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Pay attention to patterns. If Falco likes to do an aerial every time after lasering, wd back and grab/jump+fair.

Also, realize that your bair hitbox can beat out most of his attacks. It's just important to understand that it has better coverage when Falco is slightly above you (so when he's on platforms).

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Pay attention to patterns. If Falco likes to do an aerial every time after lasering, wd back and grab/jump+fair.

Also, realize that your bair hitbox can beat out most of his attacks. It's just important to understand that it has better coverage when Falco is slightly above you (so when he's on platforms).
you must not think that brawl players pay attention to patterns & read ppl lmao

@ bair helpful to know thanks again

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
1. I notice that while a opponent is on the ground before they tech Sheik's do a single jab and then the player does a tech. Why? Is it just for free damage or is there another reason. I see Jigg's do this too.

2. What controller port is considered best for Sheik and why? I feel like all good Sheiks seem to go to port 4 but I can't see why. Or does the port not matter at all or is it just a opinion thing?

Thanks in advance.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
1. Are you sure you're not talking about a jab reset
2. Port 1 is the best in all cases I believe

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
Yeah if thats what its called then yes, I just didn't know the term of it. xD

And why exactly? I have been hearing that but I don't really know why. Is it just because of how the spacing works?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
jab reset forces the opponent to rise from the ground. This leads into guaranteed punishment and counters various no-tech mixups, most importantly the getup attack which otherwise forces sheik's spacing.

port 1 is the best, marginally. On some stages you will spawn in a better position than others. In terms of fighting, if there is ever two grabs or attacks coming out at the exact same time the person with the lowest numbered port will win.

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
Oh awesome thanks so much. Jab resets are going to help all of my characters thanks again :D

But if port 1 is taken what's the 2nd best? Or does it not matter?

:phone:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
In singles, it doesn't matter. 3 vs. 4 is the same as 1 vs. 2 or 1 vs. 4.
As far as stage spawn/starting location goes, though, that's stage specific.

stelzig

Smash Lord
The best port is port 4 because P4 is green. This is also why sheik players choose it :)

Edit: Any of you guys mind critiquing some games I played last weekend btw? I can see alot of stuff I could do better myself, but getting advice from other players never hurt :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOE2gnFNEUg (yeah this is a sheik ditto... But at least you'll be watching PAL :p)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTzOXw8k_Kk (vs. fox, I use marth in the last game, if you have any advice there then that's welcome too ;))

Ministry

Smash Ace
jab reset forces the opponent to rise from the ground. This leads into guaranteed punishment and counters various no-tech mixups, most importantly the getup attack which otherwise forces sheik's spacing.
Its not guaranteed, falcon fox falco puff and sheik can all Sdi out of jab resets.

Its surprisingly easy and i have no idea why more people dont do it.

when i play alternate characters agasint sheik i prefer to non tech then sdi the jab, messes with them really big

ofcourse u can just double jab with sheik... to stop the sdi on the jab reset, but the meta game isnt that far with sheik lolz...

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Does fairing while double jumping boost your jump? I keep hearing people say this but I'm not sure

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Its not guaranteed, falcon fox falco puff and sheik can all Sdi out of jab resets.

Its surprisingly easy and i have no idea why more people dont do it.

when i play alternate characters agasint sheik i prefer to non tech then sdi the jab, messes with them really big

ofcourse u can just double jab with sheik... to stop the sdi on the jab reset, but the meta game isnt that far with sheik lolz...
hahaha kels just does jab to ftilt assuming people will SDI the jab. I think it still has frame advantage if they dont SDI, too.

edit-
Does fairing while double jumping boost your jump? I keep hearing people say this but I'm not sure
No it does not. Magus made a gif thing proving it. It does help with jigglypuff, but only because of her weird physics.

WHA?

Smash Ace
sveet, mind if i take that smash heart design on ur sig???
i feel like puttin it on a shirt or somethin

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Its not mine, and im not sure who made it off hand, someone from the art boards here. They made a new sig for the SWF Mentors a few months ago, you should check either that thread or check in the art forums.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
No it does not. Magus made a gif thing proving it. It does help with jigglypuff, but only because of her weird physics.
More specifically, multi-jump characters (read: Kirby & Jigglypuff) have horizontal momentum decay whilst in the aerial jump animations. Canceling those animations with something else forgoes that and thus, you "go farther" when it's really just avoiding going a shorter distance.

Ministry

Smash Ace
A Lot of the time you WD OOS and ftilt or jabed him, but it hit his sheild. You should wd OOS and grab him. There were a lot of oppurtunities for that.

unknown522

Some guy
port 1 is the best, marginally. On some stages you will spawn in a better position than others. In terms of fighting, if there is ever two grabs or attacks coming out at the exact same time the person with the lowest numbered port will win.
If roy's a lower port than sheik, his u-throw makes her land on the platform on some stages......

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
if g&w's a lower port than DK, cargo Dthrow makes him slide on the ground rather than put him in hitstun.
and doc's bthrow and I think uthrow make him land on plats and stuff.

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
What can I do to stop a bad habit of rolling? I like to roll a lot but no one good seems to really do it so I was just wondering if theres any specific way to kill the habit.

gm jack

Smash Lord
What can I do to stop a bad habit of rolling? I like to roll a lot but no one good seems to really do it so I was just wondering if theres any specific way to kill the habit.
Play someone who will consistently punish you for it.

Roll is good, but often so predictable, that it can be punished of you do it badly.

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
Alright so go to more tournaments and that will help. Awesome thanks! :)

Going to one saturday see how I do. I have gotten a lot better at doing less though. I like to do it when someone is hitting me and if they leave me open I roll behind them and go for a throw or a ftilt or a dsmash. Its this what I am suppose to do or no?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Rolling is a stronger option if you do it before your opponent hits you/your shield. Or when your opponent commits to an attack and you wanna use it to run away.

If the opponent just hits you or your shield just run in and grab (If you CCed) or WD in and grab.

If you're placed in a situational scenario where both wouldn't work, like vs Marth's late fair. Then WD back and run.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Alright so go to more tournaments and that will help. Awesome thanks! :)

Going to one saturday see how I do. I have gotten a lot better at doing less though. I like to do it when someone is hitting me and if they leave me open I roll behind them and go for a throw or a ftilt or a dsmash. Its this what I am suppose to do or no?
It is best (if you are going to do it) to do it before they attack. However, a lot of decent players will expect the roll behind (especially after you have done it once or twice) and will wait out of your grab range for you to roll. People may also space low lag moves on your shield in order to bait the roll and punish for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSBa-tSv7ts

Here's a match of mango commentating himself. 3/4 times he says that he's just waiting for a roll and punishes it. Roll seems good because it is a decent option, but it is often so predictable even really good players can get caught out by someone looking for it.

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
It is best (if you are going to do it) to do it before they attack. However, a lot of decent players will expect the roll behind (especially after you have done it once or twice) and will wait out of your grab range for you to roll. People may also space low lag moves on your shield in order to bait the roll and punish for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSBa-tSv7ts

Here's a match of mango commentating himself. 3/4 times he says that he's just waiting for a roll and punishes it. Roll seems good because it is a decent option, but it is often so predictable even really good players can get caught out by someone looking for it.
Do you know of any other videos were top level/high level players review their matches and commentate?

stelzig

Smash Lord
There should be some matches between mango and shiz where they both commentate while playing.

Edit: Hmm, couldn't find that game, might not be on youtube. Shiz vs IB though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13QYw9F0mwk&feature=channel_video_title (shiz commentating)
You'll see a funny predicted roll pretty early on in that one as well :p

Edit2: Ah, my bad his other matches were against scorp, not mango :embarrass: (you can see them in related)

Top Bottom