• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

painlord k11

Smash Journeyman
Can sheik get gayed by battlefield?
battlefield is shieks best stage because everyone else gets gayed by battlefield. she has an auto sweet spot on the ledge with her up B and if you do get gayed by battlefield your doing it wrong!

btw can all shiek plays admit shiek dittos are really gay like im just going to go puff or iceys against a shiek lol. cause i hate shiek dittos!

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Umm, no.

If they're recovering low, your untechable ledgehop Bair and untechable needles should ensure they die pretty much every time, angles notwithstanding.

Battlefield is fine for Sheik because her SH aerials go through the platforms and she's not awkwardly forced to land on them. It's a reasonable size for camping or playing defense vs slower characters, but not so big that you can be viciously camped out by a Falco or whatever. It also gives her more flexibility with recovery, since landing on a platform sometimes can rob the opponent of their best punish move. The boundaries help Sheik, because she kills primarily by edgeguards and they don't affect her vertical KO percents too drastically. Being able to combo to the top platform because of the nice platform layout is also really good and winds up extending combos vs floaties/mediums really well.

The ledge thing is really more bonus than anything else.

Ministry

Smash Ace
Help me out.

I use to sidestep alot. then i got the idea into my head that it was bad. now i literally never sidestep ever agasint any character.

now i dont even know when to use it. is this bad?

what are good tricks or situations that u guys use it in. obviously when u think there going to grab u. I just dont know when to apply it safely or how to use it at all.

overall i think its hurting my game that i never use it.

just thinking it might help me alot vs falco fox if i applied it well.

soap

Smash Hero
when I sidestep/roll it is usually buffered. after something like a jab reset or any scenario where I think they are going to grab or apply free pressure I will try to buffer out sometimes

definitely useful but I don't think not doing it is necessarily a bad thing. better to not do it at all vs. do it too much imo. sheik has lots of other options out of shield. wavedash, nair, shffls

Kira-

Smash Champion
Battlefield is fine for Sheik because her SH aerials go through the platforms and she's not awkwardly forced to land on them.
I've been trying to do needle cancels before my aerials on stages like Stadium so that I won't awkwardly land on the platforms. It looks more technical and I think it confuses people into attacking when they usually wouldn't, plus then you can short hop aerial as if you were in any other part of the stage.

Not 100% sure if it works on Yoshi's, I have a feeling that if you short hop needle where the platform is lowest you'll still land on it.

I've also seen Amsah tech chase on Stadium platforms purposely using short hop to land on the platform and grab again. Pretty sick

Also... I think I like Yoshi's better than Battlefield ><

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Depending on the opponent I sometimes prefer Yoshi to Battlefield. Yoshi's is definitely more conducive for acquiring gimps and cheese KOs.

Regarding small platforms... there are some tricks to using the low platforms effectively, but in general I find it becomes an area where your options in combat are more limited, and I dislike that. Yoshi's are nice that they're pushed away from the middle of the stage and near the edge. That they're lower enables you to do something like Nair while rising and then drift and edgecancel off it to stay relatively lagless. Pokemon's are in the middle, though, which makes them a hindrance for me, and they're just high enough so that tricks with your other aerials don't work.

Fountain is of course exempt because those platforms are amazing. Until Fox edgecancels off it in a D-throw tech chase.

soap

Smash Hero
I've been trying to do needle cancels before my aerials on stages like Stadium so that I won't awkwardly land on the platforms. It looks more technical and I think it confuses people into attacking when they usually wouldn't, plus then you can short hop aerial as if you were in any other part of the stage.

Not 100% sure if it works on Yoshi's, I have a feeling that if you short hop needle where the platform is lowest you'll still land on it.

I've also seen Amsah tech chase on Stadium platforms purposely using short hop to land on the platform and grab again. Pretty sick

Also... I think I like Yoshi's better than Battlefield ><
ya that no impact land thing is super sick. I stole that and have been doing alot of stuff with it.

instead of fighting stadium platforms u can use them to space stuff kinda quick. just short hop and u can immediately fall back thru with an aerial there is literally no lag. or u can walk forward slightly to space bairs and such. works kinda similar on story as well

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Hehehe

These are all true things.

I'm going to go with "All I ever play with is RaynEx and Unknown" johns to account for my hatred of Pokemon Stadium.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Hmm, the easier KO's are nice, although all three fastfallers can also kill you much sooner, but I think I prefer it because it's easier to get them into that bad stage position so that you can start to do your damage. I actually don't like it for edgeguarding just because you can't drop as low and the cloud can make things less straightforward. But I like that little ceiling on the sides that sometimes stage spikes them.

Definitely agree about Stadium, if they are near the edge it is harder to take advantage of it since those platforms are so close to the middle. Also I've beaten Lucky and Connor in sets where they 4 stocked me in the 2nd match on Stadium =( I don't know what it is about that stage but it gives them more confidence or something

I'm actually pretty terrible on Fountain, platforms still mess me up when they rise out of nowhere or they change while they are out of sight and stuff like that. (but don't tell anyone, they all ban it against me... too late)

But I'll try to actually beat someone good (that wasn't over a year ago) before I post more of my preferences lol

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think Yoshi's is Falcon's worst level in the MU vs Sheik because he can't really abuse movement effectively.

And I also agree on the stage position thing in that, once you get them stuck, it's easy to kill them on Yoshi's. That's one of the big reasons I like it vs anyone that's stupid or who doesn't make me feel overwhelmed. Or if I'm panicking and want the easymode KOs lololol.

I've never really been bothered by not being able to drop quite as low.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I don't really like F-tilting vs Falcon anywhere near as much as I used to.

It seems easy for him to dash dance grab, even when it looks like he's going to come in. He has a really long span where he can pull out if it looks rough and that's troublesome for Sheik.

Now I like Bair more. And waiting.

I'll answer your actual question later.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
His nair ***** me. It shield stabs me a lot for some reason. I could probably fix that by angling my shield/lightshielding more though.

Him grabbing me feels so much more devastating than me grabbing him (but I suck at tech chasing).

And I'm scared to jump.

Witchblade

Smash Cadet
Don't be scared to short jump. Nair and bair beat pretty much everything he can do. Just don't let him get under you so that he can upair.

My problem vs falcons is that I have trouble finding the right level of abuse, lol. Spamming high priority moves can easily give him an approach, but your moves beat his pretty much anytime so you do want to be confident with them. Just don't throw them out if you don't plan on hitting him.

And DI. DI is sooo important. Default is DI away, but sometimes it's good to DI in to confuse him, especially for upthrow. And CC where appropriate, emphasis on where appropriate. Even for raptor boost, stomp and nair DIing away is safe compared to flubbing a CC.

soap

Smash Hero
Ya when he nairs, I would grab if the spacing is right. sometimes dsmash or dtilt.

I cc his forward B alot too

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
His nair ***** me. It shield stabs me a lot for some reason. I could probably fix that by angling my shield/lightshielding more though.

Him grabbing me feels so much more devastating than me grabbing him (but I suck at tech chasing).

And I'm scared to jump.
If he can react tech chase then, yeah his grabbing is supposed to feel gay. He can link U-throw Uair/Nair at like 30 and that's pretty balls because then you are liable to explode if they follow the formula perfectly. Mercifully, only Hax knows the formula. Or, rather, only Hax chooses to use the formula.

At any rate, my big "trick" to making Falcon die is that if he does anything but DI away you can combo F-tilt/U-tilt on him out of D-throw so I use that to get easy combos and avoid tech chasing. I also try to setup Uair/Dair whenever I can so I can do damage via combo, rather than having to chase him all over the place.

If he starts missing techs, just D-smash him or something if he's over 32. Or dash dance dash attack. Or predict and U-smash if you're feeling it.

soap

Smash Hero
its only 1 match but il ask for critique also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mt9NX467KQ
u had some good moments. but alot of not good DI and getting caught being lazy on platforms. And learn the timing to grab the in place tech quicker. Just expect that cuz getting comboed out of your tech chase is mentally really ****ty.

Oh and dair tech chase onto platforms.

Some nice edgeguards in there

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
And learn the timing to grab the in place tech quicker. Just expect that cuz getting comboed out of your tech chase is mentally really ****ty.
Yeah, I hate getting killed cause I mistime my grab :(

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I just feel more comfortable on Battlefield.

Small so it's easier to kill Nana.

Not so small that they can trap you really easily or kill at super low percents like on Yoshi's or FoD.

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
what is sheiks best option/options against fox when he approaches with nair when sheik is correctly spaced and also when she is not correctly spaced?

soap

Smash Hero
what is sheiks best option/options against fox when he approaches with nair when sheik is correctly spaced and also when she is not correctly spaced?
if u space it just right, with a wavedash back u can just grab when they land in front of u.

if they are out of grab range, dtilt/ftilt.

u can space the nair approach with a backwards short hop into fair.

if u are not correctly spaced and are about to get hit u can try and ftilt/dsmash trade, or block.

Top Bottom