• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I liked the Tifa costume a lot. looks cute. Aerith was nice too. Really a shame we got nothing from any other FF though. Plus that Geno just got his old one reused, not a delux, and no music either sucks for geno fans. I feel quite bad.

It really goes to show Nintendo and Square doesn't care at all for that game.

Glad Shantae is in the game still, but I'm starting to feel all she will be is a PNG...
Yeah. I feel like Nintendo and Square-Enix don't give a **** about Geno or SMRPG. Sakurai might, but the corporate overlords don't.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
How will Nintendo spread out the releases of FP9, FP10 and FP11? We all expected FP8 (Sephiroth) to be released in either January or February, but now he's being released in December. So how will they handle the last three?

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Wooowww, Geno didn't even get the Deluxe Mii Fighter Costume treatment. We didn't even get a Deluxe Mii Fighter at all this round.
I'm happy with the FF7 Mii Fighter picks though. Some of them were expected, so it was cool to see them get revealed.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
As soon as the update happens I will fight to unlock him immediately.

I will use Cloud for this battle.

EDIT: UPDATE IS LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT 2: GOT HIM!!!!

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I know. just been leaning towards that KOSMOS, Reimu, and Crash possible rumor. It makes sense. but again, its a rumor and means nothing... even if all 3 I want as well haha
If Crash ends up being the next Fighter, that leak might have weight to it. However, I don't really see that happening because the other leak, the one about the list of characters, ended up gaining more weight today. Geno wasn't on the list, and now we finally know why. Not to mention that I mentioned a rumour yesterday that Geno was never considered during talks for Square Enix reps. Reimu also isn't on that list, and my guess is that she's either not gonna be in the game or she will be in the game but as a Mii Costume.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Pretty much. I mean, nintendo barely seems to care about any Mario RPG games right now. Mario and Luigi are dead, and Paper mario is no longer an RPG and they will never let it be an RPG again
Well, the fans certainly spoke with their wallets concerning the Mario & Luigi series, and there wasn't even any controversial big changes there.

If Nintendo wants to revisit RPGs with Mario, chances are whatever they decide to do will be very unlike what came before, for better or for worse. Because for as much flak the fans may give Paper Mario for straying away from it's initial success formula, Mario & Luigi proved just sticking with can ultimately be just as detrimental, if not worse.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
If Crash ends up being the next Fighter, that leak might have weight to it. However, I don't really see that happening because the other leak, the one about the list of characters, ended up gaining more weight today. Geno wasn't on the list, and now we finally know why. Not to mention that I mentioned a rumour yesterday that Geno was never considered during talks for Square Enix reps. Reimu also isn't on that list, and my guess is that she's either not gonna be in the game or she will be in the game but as a Mii Costume.
but I don't think that list had anything to do with mii costumes, plus it missed Min Min as well...

Well, I guess that leaves this thread as the biggest for any character not yet disconfirmed. Still feel real bad for the Geno fans though.
Thats a positive for us! Hope though the anti geno boys don't start rolling into here now

Well, the fans certainly spoke with their wallets concerning the Mario & Luigi series, and there wasn't even any controversial big changes there.
Sadly its more that it seems nintendo started to have a stranglehold on any mario game by the end, not allowing cool uniqur characters and villains...

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
but I don't think that list had anything to do with mii costumes, plus it missed Min Min as well...
Masahiro Sakurai has complete control over who gets in as a Mii Costume and who doesn't, unlike Fighters. Also, I believe Min-Min not being on the list can be explained. I think an ARMS rep wasn't considered at the time and it was only until the development of Fighters Pass 2 that a character from that game was decided. Ninjara and Min-Min were both considered, and the latter ended up being in the game thanks to Yabuki favouring her over Ninjara.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunate for Geno fans, and unfortunate for the hopes of a deluxe upgrade.

The FFVII Miis are... ok. Love the selection and the outfits are pretty great, based on their original appearance and not AC or Remake too, but not having the hair seems like a weird call on Square’s part most likely. Still, better it than nothing!

More importantly, finally songs! Arranged songs too! So glad J-E-N-O-V-A and Cosmo Canyon are in there, and glad Seph gets his own victory theme.

The challenge is great, especially since some people were hoping Sephiroth somehow got a special secret boss fight thanks to games like Kingdom Hearts and Ehrgeiz and his legacy as a secret boss.

I may have missed it, but... did anyone notice that they didn’t show off his Spirit Board? After Cloud didn’t get even a Fighter Spirit based on his normal art... that worries me slightly. But maybe they just decided not to show it.

Overall, Sephiroth looks like a load of fun to play, with a gimmick that’s not overreliant to his moveset. I can’t wait to face his boss and hopefully try him after work.

And final thought - once again, no Deluxe Mii costume with a music track. My hopes that saving the deluxe miis for a Shantae fighter pack with an entirely indie character deluxe Mii blowout continues...

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
The Geno costume also puts the final nail in the Caco/Malo "leak" I think most people gave up on that a while ago, but I know some were still clinging to it. But With Geno getting a costume now, it would make no sense to release a Malo hat anywhere in the future.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Masahiro Sakurai has complete control over who gets in as a Mii Costume and who doesn't, unlike Fighters. Also, I believe Min-Min not being on the list can be explained. I think an ARMS rep wasn't considered at the time and it was only until the development of Fighters Pass 2 that a character from that game was decided. Ninjara and Min-Min were both considered, and the latter ended up being in the game thanks to Yabuki favouring her over Ninjara.
We got Tekken as a mii and he’s in that list while other miis are not in that list. He’s the only mii has a name in that list which it’s bit odd

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Sadly its more that it seems nintendo started to have a stranglehold on any mario game by the end, not allowing cool uniqur characters and villains...
Kinda dubious with Origami King's King Olly, a very much distinct villain. Also it's not like Alpha Dream needed to be seriously prompted to have their final bosses always be some form of Bowser.

I'm sorry if you don't feel this way, but I just don't see this embargo on Mario character variations as bad as everyone tries to make it out to be. Origami King proves at several points that their actions can speak louder than appearances, and even the same characters like Bowser or Kamek have such a long history that they can be interpreted in many different ways. Intelligent Systems seems to view Bowser in particular as more of a frenemy, based on his go-karting tendencies, a portrayal consistent from Sticker Star onwards if you look closely.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Kinda dubious with Origami King's King Olly, a very much distinct villain. Also it's not like Alpha Dream needed to be seriously prompted to have their final bosses always be some form of Bowser.

I'm sorry if you don't feel this way, but I just don't see this embargo on Mario character variations as bad as everyone tries to make it out to be. Origami King proves at several points that their actions can speak louder than appearances, and even the same characters like Bowser or Kamek have such a long history that they can be interpreted in many different ways. Intelligent Systems seems to view Bowser in particular as more of a frenemy, based on his go-karting tendencies, a portrayal consistent from Sticker Star onwards if you look closely.
Ok yes we got some original characters in that game, but that game also basicallky said, Paper mario will never be an RPG again like thousand year door, and stop asking us for that

etnoika

Smash Cadet
Sad for the Genobros but at least Shantae is still safe for now.

But dang, my fear about the Tifa Mii Costume came true, hopefully that doesn't bode ill for our girl.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Honestly, I came across the Shantae art for the Pirate's Curse the other day, and thought to myself how they could easily make that a Mii Fighter if they wanted to. I know some of you here have talked about how she wouldn't make much sense as a Mii Fighter, but I feel like they could simply make her a Sword Fighter if they used her Pirate's Curse artwork as inspiration. Crossing my fingers that doesn't happen, but I wouldn't count out that possibility.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Sad for the Genobros but at least Shantae is still safe for now.

But dang, my fear about the Tifa Mii Costume came true, hopefully that doesn't bode ill for our girl.
The Tifa Mii isn't too revealing, so I think we'll be fine.

Honestly, I came across the Shantae art for the Pirate's Curse the other day, and thought to myself how they could easily make that a Mii Fighter if they wanted to. I know some of you here have talked about how she wouldn't make much sense as a Mii Fighter, but I feel like they could simply make her a Sword Fighter if they used her Pirate's Curse artwork as inspiration. Crossing my fingers that doesn't happen, but I wouldn't count out that possibility.
I mean, yeah, but even then, that wouldn't work because it does not represent who Shantae truly is. Lip was made into a Sword Fighter instead of creating a Mii class that uses magic and putting her in there because she comes from a Tetris spin-off and she has zero potential for a moveset.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I mean, yeah, but even then, that wouldn't work because it does not represent who Shantae truly is. Lip was made into a Sword Fighter instead of creating a Mii class that uses magic and putting her in there because she comes from a Tetris spin-off and she has zero potential for a moveset.
That's a fair assessment. Seeing Shantae end up as a Mii Fighter would be so disappointing not just because we're fans, but especially because we know how much raw moveset potential she could bring to the table if she were to be a playable fighter in Smash. Hopefully that potential keeps her from ending up Mii'd if Nintendo and Sakurai are eyeing her for a possible Spirit upgrade.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
So, how do you guys think Nintendo is going to spread out the remaining Fighters in 2021?
One in spring with the release of the next amiibo wave, one at E3 (or if we dont have E3 again, around that summer time since hopefully Nintendo has adjusted to the necessary working conditions enough to put out a direct or some announcements by then), and then one in fall. Spaced out pretty evenly.

and then pass 3 announced sometime in the 4th or 5th character reveal and the first fighter of that pass gets shown off at the game awards 2021 muhuhuhahaha

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
But yeah, while it's not as rough over here, we're now in the twilight of the Ultimate brawl, Geno thrown overboard to dwell in the depths. The next year may be one of the roughest yet in Smash Terms, though 2020 has surprisingly been kind with regards to all the Shantae merch, despite the ongoing crisis IRL

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Damn the geno thread had a meltdown....like jesus....*****

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Damn the geno thread had a meltdown....like jesus....*****
If it’s those obsessed Geno fans then honestly they need to somehow get over it. If it’s normal or new Geno fans, I feel their pain and I’m deeply sorry. At the same time, Smash community and fanbase is toxic and weird anyway.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I predict Rex next with Lloyd mii costume

Top Bottom