• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Hello Shantae thread! I don't believe I've posted here before. I personally have no stake in Shantae getting in Smash, but this is a very respectable fanbase and many of you have come to give your condolences to the Geno thread that I frequent since he is my most wanted. I wanted to thank everyone for the warm wishes and return the favor. Best wishes and happy holidays to you all during this very trying year. I hope you get your character or at least some kind of recognition or content at the very least. Don't give up hope guys no matter what these next three characters bring keep fighting for character(s) that matter to you!

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Hello Shantae thread! I don't believe I've posted here before. I personally have no stake in Shantae getting in Smash, but this is a very respectable fanbase and many of you have come to give your condolences to the Geno thread that I frequent since he is my most wanted. I wanted to thank everyone for the warm wishes and return the favor. Best wishes and happy holidays to you all during this very trying year. I hope you get your character or at least some kind of recognition or content at the very least. Don't give up hope guys no matter what these next three characters bring keep fighting for character(s) that matter to you!
The two longest threads in the newcomer section dont harbor any ill will towards eachother as a whole, thankfully. Sorry for the disappointing reveal, but hold high that you’re still in the game in some form - it’s never the last Smash game, and never the last chance.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
The two longest threads in the newcomer section dont harbor any ill will towards eachother as a whole, thankfully. Sorry for the disappointing reveal, but hold high that you’re still in the game in some form - it’s never the last Smash game, and never the last chance.
The worst thing that went on with us was our beef with Shovel Knight, even that has mostly died down to a few vocal people and the two are in, at worst, neutrality with one another.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else wish this "beat a super boss version of the dlc to get em early" wasnt for JUST Sephiroth?

BTW 10 SECONDS ON VERY HARD WITH WII FIT TRAINER! BEAT THAT SUCKERS!!!
Mine was around 10 too, I used Ganondorf and aerial down smashed him off the stage.
But he killed me A LOT before I managed it
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I refought him for funsies....I killed him with a dash attac, but he hit at the same time....I was 0.1% LEFT!!!!

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
WAIT A MINUTE! They didnt show off his spirit board

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
WAIT A MINUTE! They didnt show off his spirit board
Thankfully, there IS a spot for his spirit board in the DLC spirit board section, so it’s going to happen.

incidentally, I beat classic mode with Sephiroth, and he DOES have a fighter spirit using his original FFVII official art! That makes me much more confident that his spirit board will have that art too... and heck, maybe when the full Sephiroth update drops they can add Cloud’s art to finally give him a real fighter spirit too...

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I finally tried Sephiroth in Super Smash Bros. Ultiamte as DLC and I got to say (excuse my language), he’s really ****ing badass I swear to god. Like his victory animations, his final smash, his stage like oh my god! How insane can Smash be?! Well not insane that Geno is a Mii costume. That destroys the fans’s hearts, hopes and dreams. Anyway I unlocked Sephiroth in his challenge in very hard mode. Like I said before, I love Sakurai’s idea to do that for a challenge to unlock him early. Btw I don’t know if the listed characters leak is real because we got Tekken character as a Mii and his name is the only Mii name in that list while Cuphead, Sans, Vault Boy, Bomberman, Travis and other miis don’t have one.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Thankfully, there IS a spot for his spirit board in the DLC spirit board section, so it’s going to happen.

incidentally, I beat classic mode with Sephiroth, and he DOES have a fighter spirit using his original FFVII official art! That makes me much more confident that his spirit board will have that art too... and heck, maybe when the full Sephiroth update drops they can add Cloud’s art to finally give him a real fighter spirit too...
Looks promising:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Yeah I know. just been leaning towards that KOSMOS, Reimu, and Crash possible rumor. It makes sense. but again, its a rumor and means nothing... even if all 3 I want as well haha
I have to ask: Why KOS-MOS?
Her franchise is dead and have long since been replaced with the Xenoblade series.
Nothing of her own series even made it into Smash in any way.
And I don't think it was a Square-situation, where the IP-Holder is notoriously stingy...
Or maybe it was...?

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
I don't have much history with Geno personally, but seeing him get a basic Mii-costume was pretty deflating to see. With his amount of support I would've at the very least given him a proper upgrade by making it a deluxe Mii-costume.
I feel for the Geno fans, that's for sure.

I have even less with Sephiroth. Not my kind of character, but he does have some cool stuff. Awesome stage too and finally some Final Fantasy music, heh.
It's always fun to see people go nuts over a character too, and Sephiroth has definitely done that. I hope to get a character like that one day too, never really gotten that sensation, but that's my price to pay for liking more niche characters I guess...

Anyways, I've always seen Geno and Shantae to be roughly on the same level due to what they got in the base game. So Geno's Mii-costume definitely has tempered my expectations a bit as we might possibly get even less than what he got. Not to say I'm losing hope, I'm just keeping an open and cautious mind about it.
At this point I kind of just want answers to the questions we've been having for a while now. Why did Shantae suddenly get all this merch? Why did they decide to suddenly port all the Shantae games to Switch? Why is WayForward dead-silent on Smash related stuff? And my favorite; How did Sakurai respond to Shantae?
Whether we get those answers or not, we'll have to wait some more regardless.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I don't have much history with Geno personally, but seeing him get a basic Mii-costume was pretty deflating to see. With his amount of support I would've at the very least given him a proper upgrade by making it a deluxe Mii-costume.
I feel for the Geno fans, that's for sure.

I have even less with Sephiroth. Not my kind of character, but he does have some cool stuff. Awesome stage too and finally some Final Fantasy music, heh.
It's always fun to see people go nuts over a character too, and Sephiroth has definitely done that. I hope to get a character like that one day too, never really gotten that sensation, but that's my price to pay for liking more niche characters I guess...

Anyways, I've always seen Geno and Shantae to be roughly on the same level due to what they got in the base game. So Geno's Mii-costume definitely has tempered my expectations a bit as we might possibly get even less than what he got. Not to say I'm losing hope, I'm just keeping an open and cautious mind about it.
At this point I kind of just want answers to the questions we've been having for a while now. Why did Shantae suddenly get all this merch? Why did they decide to suddenly port all the Shantae games to Switch? Why is WayForward dead-silent on Smash related stuff? And my favorite; How did Sakurai respond to Shantae?
Whether we get those answers or not, we'll have to wait some more regardless.
Yeah, I've far from lost hope, but Geno getting nothing more than a recycled mii costume does put things into perspective. Nothing is a given and there are no guarantees. It might be Square not wanting to promote a character they can't use as advertising, It might be Nintendo thinking Geno's demand isn't as great as others, or it could be Sakurai simply not being interested enough to use them. These are all the real factors that affect a character getting in and not any of the fan rules floating around.

All we can do is keep hoping and keep expectations grounded. For me, I will keep hoping for Shantae, but as long as one or two of the last three are characters i actually care about, that will be enough.

So far DLC has been a big dud for me with one Character I actually hoped for, two I'm ok with and all the others I couldn't care less about. I'd really like to get at least one more that I am really attached to.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've far from lost hope, but Geno getting nothing more than a recycled mii costume does put things into perspective. Nothing is a given and there are no guarantees. It might be Square not wanting to promote a character they can't use as advertising, It might be Nintendo thinking Geno's demand isn't as great as others, or it could be Sakurai simply not being interested enough to use them. These are all the real factors that affect a character getting in and not any of the fan rules floating around.

All we can do is keep hoping and keep expectations grounded. For me, I will keep hoping for Shantae, but as long as one or two of the last three are characters i actually care about, that will be enough.

So far DLC has been a big dud for me with one Character I actually hoped for, two I'm ok with and all the others I couldn't care less about. I'd really like to get at least one more that I am really attached to.
Yeah, I really hope they're willing to shed some light on the whole Geno thing. There's plenty of people that are rooting for him and I think that deserves an explanation. It'd be interesting to see what's actually keeping him from joining the roster.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, only one character I hoped to see, but none that really made me jump out of my chair or anything. I'm also hoping to just get one character that'd make me jump out of my seat, heh. Fingers crossed. But despite me having no real connections to these characters, I've got to appreciate the amount of love and detail they've been given so far. I can only dream of what that'd be like for Shantae. Hopefully that won't just stay a dream though.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Yeah, I really hope they're willing to shed some light on the whole Geno thing. There's plenty of people that are rooting for him and I think that deserves an explanation. It'd be interesting to see what's actually keeping him from joining the roster.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, only one character I hoped to see, but none that really made me jump out of my chair or anything. I'm also hoping to just get one character that'd make me jump out of my seat, heh. Fingers crossed. But despite me having no real connections to these characters, I've got to appreciate the amount of love and detail they've been given so far. I can only dream of what that'd be like for Shantae. Hopefully that won't just stay a dream though.
Oh yeah, I can't argue the amount of insane care and detail that have gone into these characters. It's just hard to fully appreciate it when it's a character or franchise you are just luke warm over. It would be really be something to see that OCD level of dedication poured into some character I really love.

Oh well, three more shots at least and at this point those three spots could really go to almost anyone.

At times like this when I'm bummed that I just don't like most of the DLC, I find it's important to remember all those who have had their hopes completely dashed already. Geno wasn't on top of any list of mine, but I would have enjoyed seeing him in, and it's hard to argue that any fanbase has been hoping longer than his.

Just making a full headpiece for his old costume at least would have been something. Instead they have to make do with a goofy mii face whose skin tone will never match the wood of the costume. I try not to ask or expect much considering how much Sakurai and his team already does for the game, but in this one instance I think Geno and his fans deserved better. I hope the decision was out of Sakurai's hands because it would be easier for me to accept this as a Square decision.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Her franchise is dead and have long since been replaced with the Xenoblade series.
And I don't think it was a Square-situation, where the IP-Holder is notoriously stingy...
Or maybe it was...?
Kos-Mos is the poster child character of Monolith Soft, (the excellent ) Xenosaga was their very first project and it holds a very important spot in their hearts.
She is part of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 ( where she is arguably the most popular blade ).
As example, she is front and center of the 20th anniversary poster of the company :
9c74ra4l4up31.jpg

If we had a situation similar to Min Min being handpicked by her creators, Kos-Mos would most likely be the chosen one.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Kos-Mos is the poster child character of Monolith Soft, (the excellent ) Xenosaga was their very first project and it holds a very important spot in their hearts.
She is part of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 ( where she is arguably the most popular blade ).
As example, she is front and center of the 20th anniversary poster of the company :

If we had a situation similar to Min Min being handpicked by her creators, Kos-Mos would most likely be the chosen one.
And?
Xenosaga as a series seems to be all but dead.
And Monolith seems to focus so much more on Xenoblade now.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
And?
Xenosaga as a series seems to be all but dead.
And Monolith seems to focus so much more on Xenoblade now.
And ?
We've had quite a few characters coming from dead franchises already and who needed no promotion.
We are talking about a character to represent their company in Smash and not some new Xenoblade game being made so I don't know what your point is.
I'm not saying she is the likliest, since none of us actually know what is likely and what is not, but she is possible despite what you seem to believe out of thin air.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I personally see Rex from Xenoblade 2 as more likely than her.
But whatever floats your boat I guess.

No need to bite!

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
You misunderstand, I'm not saying I believe she is the most likely but I'm just answering your question of "Why Kos-Mos ?" by giving elements that suggest it might be her ( as unlikely as it is ). You're welcome.

I scratch too. 😜

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I beat Sephiroth in 12.92 seconds and I don't know where to brag about it because I don't have social media. So I brought it here 😊
I beat him in like 10 seconds with Ridley on Very Hard. But I didn't wanted to post on Facebook or Twitter since I never really get on those sites. I wonder why there wasn't a Youtube option?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Or maybe it was...?
Basically what MajestyIndigo MajestyIndigo said. KOS-MOS is the child of the creators from Monolith soft and is still near and dear to them, dispite partially still being ownj by Bandai Namco.

Plus, Banjo's franchise is dead, and he still got into smash. He got in through fan demand, and if KOS-MOS gets in, it will be due to Sakurai being a huge fan of the whole Xeno Series(he's said this before)

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Basically what MajestyIndigo MajestyIndigo said. KOS-MOS is the child of the creators from Monolith soft and is still near and dear to them, dispite partially still being ownj by Bandai Namco.

Plus, Banjo's franchise is dead, and he still got into smash. He got in through fan demand, and if KOS-MOS gets in, it will be due to Sakurai being a huge fan of the whole Xeno Series(he's said this before)
Plus with KOS-MOS not being on that 4chan character list, she would kill that particular "leak" and further more, give credence to the 5chan "leak" with Crash and Reimu.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

However, Banjo and Kazooie have a massive legacy, which I don't see KOS-MOS having.
Pretty much everyone knows who Banjo and Kazooie are, while KOS-MOS...
I honestly don't know who she is, beyond Project X Zone and Card Sagas Wars.

I'm not against her, mind you.
But I don't see her as a very likely character either.

Like I said, I think Rex is more likely, than KOS-MOS.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Plus with KOS-MOS not being on that 4chan character list, she would kill that particular "leak" and further more, give credence to the 5chan "leak" with Crash and Reimu.
Any 4chan leak that says I have a friend working at nintendo, is 100% fake.

However, Banjo and Kazooie have a massive legacy, which I don't see KOS-MOS having.
Pretty much everyone knows who Banjo and Kazooie are, while KOS-MOS...
I honestly don't know who she is, beyond Project X Zone and Card Sagas Wars.

I'm not against her, mind you.
But I don't see her as a very likely character either.

Like I said, I think Rex is more likely, than KOS-MOS.
The Xeno Franchize is a very long lasting series. First with Xenogears, then 3 Xenosaga games(Where KOS-MOS is from), and now the Xenoblade series. KOS-MOS has also done a ton of Crossovers with Bandai Namco properties. The Project cross zone games, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: series, Tales of hearts, Xenoblade chronicals 2, and many costumes unlockable in games like the tales of series and soul caliber. And she is almost always front an center of Namco or monolith softs pictures for aniverseries.

Top Bottom