• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
One thing I find funny about it, is that it says the complete opposite of the other one mentioned, that Shantae has 'less' chance because of name letters, and this person says she has 'more' chance. In both cases it's someone thinking a pattern matters when it doesn't. I can guarantee there's no one at nintendo that thinks the characters's first letters matters XD

Some people see patterns and signs too easily, especially when they 'want' to see them. It's not uncommon, but it's something you can learn to be more balanced about.

In any case I want to believe in Shantae :) I just want to be realistic too.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Right now, it is too early with Sephiroth descending as Challenger 8. At this point right now, leaks and speculation in any form is unreliable.
Yeah, right now the only leaks that would be worth even looking at are any old ones that specifically said Seph was in (in a more definite way than that one leak that just listed 40 characters)

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, right now the only leaks that would be worth even looking at are any old ones that specifically said Seph was in (in a more definite way than that one leak that just listed 40 characters)
And even then, it’s hardly worth it since it could always just be a lucky guess.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
So, not a leak, but an interesting tidbit of speculation.

Sephiroth’s Sakurai Stream is coming on the 17th / 18th depending on where you live in the world, and the Nintendo twitters have already announced it.

However, on every other announcement of a Sakurai Presents that focused on one character, they have a followup tweet that explains no new fighters will be revealed.

However, there is no such additional tweet on the Sephiroth announcement. Do you think we could have a Terry on our hands where a character gets their CG trailer as a teaser but no gameplay?

Here are the tweets in question, compiled from someone on twitter, can’t recall right away.

0F57F7AE-85E5-4D55-96FE-C5B3838C7463.jpeg

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice

Sephiroth’s Sakurai Stream is coming on the 17th / 18th depending on where you live in the world, and the Nintendo twitters have already announced it.

However, on every other announcement of a Sakurai Presents that focused on one character, they have a followup tweet that explains no new fighters will be revealed.

However, there is no such additional tweet on the Sephiroth announcement. Do you think we could have a Terry on our hands where a character gets their CG trailer as a teaser but no gameplay?

Here are the tweets in question, compiled from someone on twitter, can’t recall right away.

View attachment 295315
Oh interesting tidbit there. It might be possible.
Though given the other two were only a few days away instead of a week, we could be getting a reminder where they might put that "no other DLC fighters" disclaimer. Or perhaps they just didn't bother. Time will tell I guess.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

View attachment 295315
I doubt we will see FP9 at all in Sephiroth's Presentation. I'm willing to bet we won't see FP9 until March when the next Amiibo wave drops.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace

View attachment 295315
I'm not gonna make any predictions on this... just in case...

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
Trolling/bait

View attachment 295315
This is very interesting but, why care? We're either going to get some forgettable side character no one wants/some other generic swordsman that has a generic swordsman moveset/or some incredibly niche character no one wants.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This is very interesting but, why care? We're either going to get some forgettable side character no one wants/some other generic swordsman that has a generic swordsman moveset/or some incredibly niche character no one wants.
Damn dude. You don't have to think so negative. Characters you want come when you least expect it.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
So I know I just said I had no predictions for the "Sakurai Presents Sephiroth" livestream, but I had a crazy thought just come to me!

So you guys know how every DLC fighter comes with a new version of the game? Well, how's this for a potentially awesome addition coming with Sephiroth's Challenger Pack and Version 10.0.0... Tifa Lockhart as a new Assist Trophy!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I know I just said I had no predictions for the "Sakurai Presents Sephiroth" livestream, but I had a crazy thought just come to me!

So you guys know how every DLC fighter comes with a new version of the game? Well, how's this for a potentially awesome addition coming with Sephiroth's Challenger Pack and Version 10.0.0... Tifa Lockhart as a new Assist Trophy!
That's SUPER unlikely. A new Assist Trophy has never come with a DLC character before and will likely never will. Assist Trophies are a base game thing.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I’m just letting you guys know that I don’t look at leaks anymore ever since SNK leak because they‘re just trying to tease or ruined us about what characters are coming either real or fake but most of them are fake. All I can say that I think they’re just theories and speculations. There are no full proofs about them at all. They just show us what characters they think they‘ll join. I still don’t know about the listed characters leaks or that 5chan leak but if that’s real then that ruins Shantae’s chances and waiting all that for nothing. Thought Sakurai stated, “Greater opportunity to pleased the fans.”

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

Proooobably unlikely. I know people like to talk about precedence as “just because it hasn’t happened doesn’t mean it won’t!” but it’s pretty clear the DLC is focused on characters, stages, music, and spirits. There’s really nothing to suggest we’d get a new item or additions to items.

I’m just letting you guys know that I don’t look at leaks anymore ever since SNK leak because they‘re just trying to tease or ruined us about what characters are coming either real or fake but most of them are fake. All I can say that I think they’re just theories and speculations. There are no full proofs about them at all. They just show us what characters they think they‘ll join. I still don’t know about the listed characters leaks or that 5chan leak but if that’s real then that ruins Shantae’s chances.
Exactly. Besides, the SNK leak wasn’t some ‘insider’ telling people Terry was coming to the game. It was an accident on Nintendo’s part from putting SNK’s trademark in the Smash DLC’s trademark list too early.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
That's SUPER unlikely. A new Assist Trophy has never come with a DLC character before and will likely never will. Assist Trophies are a base game thing.
I was mainly talking about her coming with Ver. 10.0.0. I'm aware that the Challenger Packs themselves are strictly Fighter, Stage, Music and Spirit packs, but I just thought that since Cloud was already in base game and DLC characters aren't necessary for the updates themselves, then it could be a good way to add Tifa as an Assist Trophy to Ultimate.

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Proooobably unlikely. I know people like to talk about precedence as “just because it hasn’t happened doesn’t mean it won’t!” but it’s pretty clear the DLC is focused on characters, stages, music, and spirits. There’s really nothing to suggest we’d get a new item or additions to items.

Exactly. Besides, the SNK leak wasn’t some ‘insider’ telling people Terry was coming to the game. It was an accident on Nintendo’s part from putting SNK’s trademark in the Smash DLC’s trademark list too early.
Yeah. So why should we believe 5chan leak? Reimu and KOS MOS? I know they sound interesting but do we really need them instead of Shantae? Reimu would ruined her since she’s also an indie.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I was mainly talking about her coming with Ver. 10.0.0. I'm aware that the Challenger Packs themselves are strictly Fighter, Stage, Music and Spirit packs, but I just thought that since Cloud was already in base game and DLC characters aren't necessary for the updates themselves, then it could be a good ay to add Tifa as an Assist Trophy to Ultimate.
Well, we have yet to see any patches add new Assist Trophies or bosses so we will have to wait and see.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Guys tbh, my hopes are getting low because of Shantae in Smash and yeah I know it sounds pretty negative from the way I say this but honestly, I don’t care
Just got to believe until the end. Shantae isn't deconfirmed until we either see a Mii costume or Sakurai announces the last character and she's nowhere to be seen in sight. It isn't over yet.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Tbh, my hopes are getting low and honestly I think it’s time for me to stop believe in Shantae. I know we don’t know yet because of the last 3 slots or I sound negative about it. Honestly, I don’t care. I just start to think there might not be any chance for her to join. Like I said before, Nintendo chose the DLCs last year probably after Shantae 5 opening trailer. I’m sorry guys but I think I had enough.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Just got to believe until the end. Shantae isn't deconfirmed until we either see a Mii costume or Sakurai announces the last character and she's nowhere to be seen in sight. It isn't over yet.
I know but I just have some other gut feelings you know. I have some weird mixed-up emtions because of some part of my feelings about Shantae. I just think I had enough since this FP2 is getting smaller and after that, it’s the end. I’m sorry.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Tbh, my hopes are getting low and honestly I think it’s time for me to stop believe in Shantae. I know we don’t know yet because of the last 3 slots or I sound negative about it. Honestly, I don’t care. I just start to think there might not be any chance for her to join. Like I said before, Nintendo chose the DLCs last year probably after Shantae 5 opening trailer. I’m sorry guys but I think I had enough.
Well. That's your call to make. Think about it before you decide for sure though.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Well. That's your call to make. Think about it before you decide for sure though.
Look I think I just need to back off for a while because I’m honestly scared about the last 3 slots before the end because it’s getting smaller for any characters. I just need a break that’s how far I can tell you.

etnoika

Smash Cadet
I've been pondering what Sephiroth's inclusion could mean for Shantae and I do have one thought.

This is a bit of a risque topic, and I hope I'm not pushing the line here. But my main concern now is whether Tifa Lockheart might end up getting a Mii Costume. I love FF7 and Tifa but her getting a MC would most likely mean either creating a really disturbing looking Mii, or removing some of her... character, and she might just end up looking like a Mii wearing a tank top.

Up until now, the main argument against Shantae getting a Mii Costume is that it would look weird for Miis to have a swappable body part that would allow players to give any other Mii a bikini top or visible cleavage. But if Tifa gets in and she's changed the way that I just described then it would set a precedent for other female characters with fanservicy designs to have it removed for Mii Costumes. Like our girl.

Of course, they might just go with her Advent Children design and make the point moot, that would be the best option all around imo.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Thing is, Shantae was a very popular request in the Smash Ballot back in the day and that could be a deciding factor in her getting in. K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie were popular Smash Ballots requests and they got in because of that.

I know but I just have some other gut feelings you know. I have some weird mixed-up emtions because of some part of my feelings about Shantae. I just think I had enough since this FP2 is getting smaller and after that, it’s the end. I’m sorry.
Even if Shantae doesn't make it into Ultimate, there is always next game.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
While I'd temper expectations and accept the possibility that she was passed over again, it's not time to throw in the towel completely just yet. We still have three characters left until Shantae's final fate is revealed.

Just try to stay optimistic but don't place all your chips on her either.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
This is a bit of a risque topic, and I hope I'm not pushing the line here. But my main concern now is whether Tifa Lockheart might end up getting a Mii Costume. I love FF7 and Tifa but her getting a MC would most likely mean either creating a really disturbing looking Mii, or removing some of her... character, and she might just end up looking like a Mii wearing a tank top.
Last time I checked, the measure of Tifa's character wasn't her body proportions...

Well, we have yet to see any patches add new Assist Trophies or bosses so we will have to wait and see.
I'll keep my expectations low just in case, but I can't help loving the idea nonetheless.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
You mean "Reimu and Shovel Knight" right? I know what you said I'm just talking about Shantae's Smash popularity.
I meant "Reimu and Shovel Knight" I just made a typo.

Up until now, the main argument against Shantae getting a Mii Costume is that it would look weird for Miis to have a swappable body part that would allow players to give any other Mii a bikini top or visible cleavage. But if Tifa gets in and she's changed the way that I just described then it would set a precedent for other female characters with fanservicy designs to have it removed for Mii Costumes. Like our girl.
Speaking of Mii costumes, we've been getting at least one deluxe mii costume for every wave of DLC mii costumes since Wave 5. Given that Travis (No More Heroes) got a mii costume and No More heroes will be getting a new game soon, we could possibly get Dragonoid (Bakugan) as a deluxe mii costume Since we just got a new Bakugan game.

Please refer to my previous quotes for clarifications about Bakugan here

Last edited:
Top Bottom