• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't wanna come off as i'm bashing it, so ill preface this with I love the Necrodancer games,

The fact Cadence of Hyrule is a "Zelda" game is probably most of the reason people bought it.
if this was just another Necrodancer game, it wouldn't of sold nearly as much.

You can honestly take just about any game, throw a Zelda skin on it it would probably sell well.
Oh, boi!

Said it before, but fans have no trouble discerning quality and voicing complaints if the product isn't up to snuff (also, it's not exactly a given Zelda will sell very well in Japan, it doesn't do bad but doesn't light their world on fire either). Just look at the flack Pokemon Sword & Shield are getting for not having the full roster (although personally I have trouble seeing it as a huge problem. While I understand it can be annoying not being able to transfer a Pokemon you might want to use, if you seriously want all of them, you might be forgetting 80% are just there to look pretty in your box collection and Pokedex, and it's not like some Pokemon not being in Sword & Shield currently will wipe them from your older games or Bank. Unfortunately, it looks like Masuda is starting to become the new Sakamoto in being the target of a decision-smearing campaign...).

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Oh, boi!

Said it before, but fans have no trouble discerning quality and voicing complaints if the product isn't up to snuff (also, it's not exactly a given Zelda will sell very well in Japan, it doesn't do bad but doesn't light their world on fire either). Just look at the flack Pokemon Sword & Shield are getting for not having the full roster (although personally I have trouble seeing it as a huge problem. While I understand it can be annoying not being able to transfer a Pokemon you might want to use, if you seriously want all of them, you might be forgetting 80% are just there to look pretty in your box collection and Pokedex, and it's not like some Pokemon not being in Sword & Shield currently will wipe them from your older games or Bank. Unfortunately, it looks like Masuda is starting to become the new Sakamoto in being the target of a decision-smearing campaign...).
No one uses every pokemon, but every pokemon is someone's favorite. Sure those who love overrated mons like Charizard and Lucario are going to be fine because they are always going to be in every game, but it't the pokemon that already don;t get special treatment like megas or special z moves that will once again be passed over. Only this time they aren't just missing out on new toys to play with, they won't be coded into the game at all.

So that means everything great about the new games are things you might not be able to experience at all with your favorite pokemon. Camping in the wild, Dynamaxing, or even just being able to see them up on the big screen in HD for the first time. Many people won't get to have that with their favorite pokemon, and some won't get to have that with any of their top favorites.

Considering that fans have been paying for a service that promised transferring your pokemon to the latest games, and considering that these games will cost more than any of the mainline pokemon games prior, I think fans have a right to be upset by the move. I completely understand the reason GameFreak made the decision, but they deserve to hear what is important to their fans.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
No one uses every pokemon, but every pokemon is someone's favorite. Sure those who love overrated mons like Charizard and Lucario are going to be fine because they are always going to be in every game, but it't the pokemon that already don;t get special treatment like megas or special z moves that will once again be passed over. Only this time they aren't just missing out on new toys to play with, they won't be coded into the game at all.

So that means everything great about the new games are things you might not be able to experience at all with your favorite pokemon. Camping in the wild, Dynamaxing, or even just being able to see them up on the big screen in HD for the first time. Many people won't get to have that with their favorite pokemon, and some won't get to have that with any of their top favorites.

Considering that fans have been paying for a service that promised transferring your pokemon to the latest games, and considering that these games will cost more than any of the mainline pokemon games prior, I think fans have a right to be upset by the move. I completely understand the reason GameFreak made the decision, but they deserve to hear what is important to their fans.
Not to mention their slogan of Pokemon: "Gotta Catch them All!". Is now only "Hand Full of them All!"

Biometal

Smash Journeyman

I use mostly the underdog Pokemon due to my persistent preference to stand out, but all I really hope for now is that Mawile can make it in.

Hah...now that ironically sounded like a Smash thing.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
My goal one day was to make a twam using wvery fully evolved pokemon... that may never happen now :(

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Not to mention their slogan of Pokemon: "Gotta Catch them All!". Is now only "Hand Full of them All!"
Do the Pokemon you caught in the past get released just because a new game comes out? You can still catch 'em all without them all being in the same place.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Do the Pokemon you caught in the past get released just because a new game comes out? You can still catch 'em all without them all being in the same place.
No, but functions for their games get discontinued as the hardware they are from becomes limited. The days for the online functions of the 3DS are now numbered (faster than other nintendo hardware too since Nintendo wants to get every one paying for online as soon as possible)

Further, them being left behind means they can't reap any benefits from the newer generations. Imagine if you couldn't have every pokemon in X and Y and now you couldn't play with your favorite pokemon in Pokemon Amie?

Or what if one of your favorites just needed some better moves to make it a little more viable? Well it would be a shame if it couldn't get to gen 6 when play rough got added to so many old pokemon move sets, or gen 7 when Leech Life got a HUGE buff.

Not to mention all the quality of life improvements each games adds for breeding, training and shiny hunting. If your favorite pokemon isn;t in the latest game, you can never take advantage of those new improvements for that particular species.

If the decision doesn't bother you, that's fine, and I'm happy for you, but you can't act like there is no reason for people to be bothered by this just because you aren't.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
No, but functions for their games get discontinued as the hardware they are from becomes limited. The days for the online functions of the 3DS are now numbered (faster than other nintendo hardware too since Nintendo wants to get every one paying for online as soon as possible)

Further, them being left behind means they can't reap any benefits from the newer generations. Imagine if you couldn't have every pokemon in X and Y and now you couldn't play with your favorite pokemon in Pokemon Amie?

Or what if one of your favorites just needed some better moves to make it a little more viable? Well it would be a shame if it couldn't get to gen 6 when play rough got added to so many old pokemon move sets, or gen 7 when Leech Life got a HUGE buff.

Not to mention all the quality of life improvements each games adds for breeding, training and shiny hunting. If your favorite pokemon isn;t in the latest game, you can never take advantage of those new improvements for that particular species.

If the decision doesn't bother you, that's fine, and I'm happy for you, but you can't act like there is no reason for people to be bothered by this just because you aren't.
Did you even read the part where I mentioned people with Pokemon that get cut do have a right to be annoyed? My point is there's simply a far greater portion of players (first-timers and those who don't care about transferring) that aren't severely impacted, if at all, from not having the full National Pokedex (and even fewer probably care about all the mechanics you mentioned, plus if you actually do have a substantial collection of trained Pokemon to transfer, isn't it already too late for them to benefit from breeding and training QOL?). Raising a huge stink is premature, especially when we don't know the full extent of Game Freak's plans, and also because this may be the norm going forward. Since the alternatives are:

a) Keep carrying on as they did before, advancing all aspects including roster, until development cycles become unmanageable,
b) Forgo any and all graphical (and possibly gameplay) advancements in favour of preserving and augmenting the roster. Fan games and sites have a monopoly on this however.
c) Stop making new Pokemon altogether and focus exclusively on balancing and features. Will almost assuredly lead to a slow death as new Pokemon are the primary selling point for the masses.

I do hope Game Freak has a plan to incorporate any Pokemon not in Sword & Shield at launch in the near future, even if it involves a separate set of games entirely, but the truth is concessions have to be made in order to make real progress elsewhere. Take a look at this latest video from Jwittz and you can see all things other JRPGs have done that Pokemon's missed out on as a result of focusing more on maintaining it's roster of Pokemon:

There's still a lot we don't know about the newest games, such as it's story or any potential villains.

Last edited:

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't gonna mention the Pokemon drama here, but looks like that's too late. I'm gonna go ahead and speak a lil on the subject since it's been nonstop showing up everywhere and it's just getting a tad dull for me.

No one is saying that axing like half of the Pokemon was a good idea. They do mention balancing issues as well, and I can understand that.
For me, I really don't care enough for this to be an issue. I almost always use only new Pokemon when I play the games.
This is the first real main line Switch game for them. People are acting as if this is the last in the series. They're gonna bring them back in future games.
Probably not all of them, but yeah. As for the other things people are upset about, I'm gonna have to wait and see when the game actually comes out.
I just know that people using the term "lazy dev" is just getting tiresome.

I wanna be excited to play these games. But these 5 months are gonna be rough until release. I just don't wanna be soured, ya know?
People have a right to be upset. It's just we need constructive criticism, not attacking Game Freak. They're not gonna listen otherwise.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I wasn't gonna mention the Pokemon drama here, but looks like that's too late. I'm gonna go ahead and speak a lil on the subject since it's been nonstop showing up everywhere and it's just getting a tad dull for me.

No one is saying that axing like half of the Pokemon was a good idea. They do mention balancing issues as well, and I can understand that.
For me, I really don't care enough for this to be an issue. I almost always use only new Pokemon when I play the games.
This is the first real main line Switch game for them. People are acting as if this is the last in the series. They're gonna bring them back in future games.
Probably not all of them, but yeah. As for the other things people are upset about, I'm gonna have to wait and see when the game actually comes out.
I just know that people using the term "lazy dev" is just getting tiresome.

I wanna be excited to play these games. But these 5 months are gonna be rough until release. I just don't wanna be soured, ya know?
People have a right to be upset. It's just we need constructive criticism, not attacking Game Freak. They're not gonna listen otherwise.
I mean, one of the complaints heard in Gen 7 was how Game Freak spoiled too much of the games in trailers. Now they're being more tight-lipped and people are still upset.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Anyway...

A bit off topic, but god damn would love a reboot like this.

The interesting part of this concept is how freely it draws from any source that has even a small handful of games on Nintendo platforms, as we see with Jill Valentine and the Cyberdemon from Resident Evil and DOOM respectively. Makes you wonder if even indies like Shantae could get in on the action here.

In general it makes me think of the Brawl In The Family web strips too.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Anyway...

The interesting part of this concept is how freely it draws from any source that has even a small handful of games on Nintendo platforms, as we see with Jill Valentine and the Cyberdemon from Resident Evil and DOOM respectively. Makes you wonder if even indies like Shantae could get in on the action here.

That would certainly be handy. Just imagine how crazy it'd get with Touhou in particular. Also, nice to see the Elite Beat Agents in here.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That would certainly be handy. Just imagine how crazy it'd get with Touhou in particular. Also, nice to see the Elite Beat Agents in here.
I imagine that world as something ressembling the Neptunia games, with different sections of the world representing different gaming companies like Sega, Capcom and Square Enix. The indie's land would be something akin to wildlands, one the heroes have relatively little knowledge of.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
I imagine that world as something ressembling the Neptunia games, with different sections of the world representing different gaming companies like Sega, Capcom and Square Enix. The indie's land would be something akin to wildlands, one the heroes have relatively little knowledge of.
Yeah, they literally named their setting “Gamindustri.” No kidding.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
A bit off topic, but god damn would love a reboot like this.
I literally just watched this today! As much as I want this to happen, I hope you all can forgive my pessimism considering that this is NINTENDO we're talking about...

Anyway...

Funny you say this, as Shantae CAN be seen in this animatic for like a split-second.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Shantae is one of my most wanted (not the first one but she's pretty high) so it would be great but sadly she's a spirit and if the mii costume theory is true then we'll get a capcom rep and a bandai rep so she's not very likely i'm afraid so. But we can still hope

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Shantae is one of my most wanted (not the first one but she's pretty high) so it would be great but sadly she's a spirit and if the mii costume theory is true then we'll get a capcom rep and a bandai rep so she's not very likely i'm afraid so. But we can still hope
wait.....the first Shantae game was helped published BY Capcom, what if for her reveal they brought back the capcom mii costumes?

1506409704907.gif

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Pretty sure they bought the game back and they have no other affiliation like that with Capcom concerning their own IPs
No no i mean Nintendo would use that old info as a nod to it.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Since she's already a spirit i don't think we will get her and if we have a capcom rep i would much rather that to be dante becaus i love shantae but dante is kinda why i love video games so much you can do something so simple and yet so complex with it and that's just awesome so yeah shantae in dlc why not but not as a capcom rep.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I literally just watched this today! As much as I want this to happen, I hope you all can forgive my pessimism considering that this is NINTENDO we're talking about...

Funny you say this, as Shantae CAN be seen in this animatic for like a split-second.
Huh, fancy that. Here's a fun little challenge: find all these cameos and tell when (timestamp) or where they're found: Marx, Mimikyu (surprisingly the only Pokemon in the entire clip), Andy, Stanley, Sonic, Shantae and Arthur.

I don't see what the worry is. I've never seen Nintendo go after anything other than fan-games that stick too closely to the originals. Brawl in the Family webcomics are still up 4 years after they've concluded. So long as it's not done to make a profit and copyright credit is given where it's due, I don't see any issues. Plus, there's at least four other companies being represented here that could be upset if this was actually a problem.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm not even going to argue with that person, I'm completely tired of convincing people to think otherwise than what they believe and won't do that again until February hits. :drsad:

Instead, I'll just post this from tsuboP.

D5IZlX6UwAALkVt.jpg

Huh, fancy that. Here's a fun little challenge: find all these cameos and tell when (timestamp) or where they're found: Marx, Mimikyu (surprisingly the only Pokemon in the entire clip), Andy, Stanley, Sonic, Shantae and Arthur.

I don't see what the worry is. I've never seen Nintendo go after anything other than fan-games that stick too closely to the originals. Brawl in the Family webcomics are still up 4 years after they've concluded. So long as it's not done to make a profit and copyright credit is given where it's due, I don't see any issues. Plus, there's at least four other companies being represented here that could be upset if this was actually a problem.
Unless it's a heavily-publicized Mario fan project, anyway. Super Mario Battle Royale got hit recently.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm not even going to argue with that person, I'm completely tired of convincing people to think otherwise than what they believe and won't do that again until February hits. :drsad:

Instead, I'll just post this from tsuboP.

Unless it's a heavily-publicized Mario fan project, anyway. Super Mario Battle Royale got hit recently.
That's what I just said. From the looks of it, it was literally just Super Mario Bros. that multiple people play at the same time. Not sure if money was requested at some point, but either way it was also timed particularly poorly, what with the multiplayer-enabled Super Mario Maker 2 right around the corner.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's what I just said. From the looks of it, it was literally just Super Mario Bros. that multiple people play at the same time. Not sure if money was requested at some point, but either way it was also timed particularly poorly, what with the multiplayer-enabled Super Mario Maker 2 right around the corner.
At any rate they seem allergic to fans doing multiplayer more than them, like with that SM64 mod that was made some years back.

zferolie

Smash Hero

I must have missed her in the video. got a time stamp?

Nintendo... may green light this internally maybe. Like this is a pitch right now to nintendo I assume. with how muchj more willing they are with their licenses... maybe? doubt it but maybe.

Since she's already a spirit i don't think we will get her and if we have a capcom rep i would much rather that to be dante becaus i love shantae but dante is kinda why i love video games so much you can do something so simple and yet so complex with it and that's just awesome so yeah shantae in dlc why not but not as a capcom rep.
I am still not sold on SPirits deconfirming. its probably 80% deconfirm, but not 100% just yet. its possible we can get ONE spirit, and the biggest third party spirit is Shantae...

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I must have missed her in the video. got a time stamp?

Nintendo... may green light this internally maybe. Like this is a pitch right now to nintendo I assume. with how muchj more willing they are with their licenses... maybe? doubt it but maybe.

I am still not sold on SPirits deconfirming. its probably 80% deconfirm, but not 100% just yet. its possible we can get ONE spirit, and the biggest third party spirit is Shantae...
Maybe that doesn't deconfirm character... As first party because third party have copyright and if you get the copyright just to put her as a spirit I don't think she was planned to be a playable character

zferolie

Smash Hero
Maybe that doesn't deconfirm character... As first party because third party have copyright and if you get the copyright just to put her as a spirit I don't think she was planned to be a playable character
I agree its possible thats all they did. Also possible they knew they couldn't fit her in base, but still wanted her in the base game, so just gave a spirit for now,

We litterally have no way of knowing unless Wayforward or Nintendo says offically.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Guess I couldn't stay away for too long. The thoughts are wanting to be let loose.

While we don't know about Nintendo, Sakurai, Wayforward and even other companies' plans for Smash Ultimate, the only plausible explaination for now would be NDA.

Even then, Wayforward won't stop even if the Half-Genie Hero doesn't become a fighter. She is getting more popular as time progress with Shantae 5 coming soon, so there is no shortage of support regarding dwindling chances on Fighters Pass.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Look, we have no way of knowing whether spirits actually affect anything until February arrives, so can we please drop the issue until then? This is going nowhere fast, and we still have two entire seasons (Summer and Fall) ahead of us until then. It'll take a while.

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Iike I said I think it deconfirm only the third parties like Rayman and Shantae because having the right for the characters and only made them into spirits sounds like they don't find a moveset for those characters

Dukefire

Smash Master
Iike I said I think it deconfirm only the third parties like Rayman and Shantae because having the right for the characters and only made them into spirits sounds like they don't find a moveset for those characters
That's still debatable if that's true or not.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
They could be spirits for a number of reasons but there’s no way lack of moveset is one of them

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
They could be spirits for a number of reasons but there’s no way lack of moveset is one of them
:ultridley: This guy had far more conceptual obstacles than many others are likely to have. The devs will move any mountains and take any liberties they have to in order to include a highly requested character.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I said that as an exemple whichever reason there is it make it impossible for the third party spirits to be included at least that's what i think.

Top Bottom