• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah i agree woth that thinking. Also its why i think if we get more fighters(and we will) it wont be in a fighters pass per say, more like either single fighters that he surprises us, or in bundles like an echo bundle that we know everyone is in. It seems like he doesnt like people buying something where they dont know all the fighters in it.

Off topic, but new info for pokemon masters is out, and it looks quite good! Even has a 4 minute animated opening. A lot of attention has been put into this... maybe more then sword and shield lol.
Well, of course they're firing all advertising cylinders for this title right now. It comes out in two months at most, as opposed to Sword & Shield being near the holidays. Looks nice, but there's only room for one all-stars game on my phone right now, and that's Sega Heroes. Dr. Mario World does look like it will complement that nicely, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well, of course they're firing all advertising cylinders for this title right now. It comes out in two months at most, as opposed to Sword & Shield being near the holidays. Looks nice, but there's only room for one all-stars game on my phone right now, and that's Sega Heroes. Dr. Mario World does look like it will complement that nicely, though.
I already play Fate Grand Order in eng and jp, but will get this one too. It looks very fun. Plus Cynthia is bae

Double post. Dont hate me. Wayforward just announced the mighty switch force collection.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Double post. Dont hate me. Wa6forward just announced the mighty switch force collection.
And with this, the memory space on my 3DS cards can breathe a sigh of relief. It's releasing right near my birthday to boot, so I'll have to see if I can pre-order the collection at the nearest place.

I just hope the mods won't notice you, they warn people lightning-quick these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Double post. Dont hate me. Wa6forward just announced the mighty switch force collection.

Sniper: Hehehehe. Now that is beautiful.

Also, here is a shantae artwork for today.
Artist: WildGirl91
Belly_dancing_and_Disappointment_by_WildGirl91.jpg

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
If it's going to be another regular entry in the series, I don't know why they're being so secretive about it. It's not like every minute of the game will be stuffed with spoilers, will it?
Oh, I hope not. That would kind of ruin the guesses for the game and also its charm to the next story plot on the timeline.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I already play Fate Grand Order in eng and jp, but will get this one too. It looks very fun. Plus Cynthia is bae
I'll stick with Selvaria, thank you very much.

I'd get that Mighty Switch Collection sooner if it weren't for fierce competition from Bloodstained, Super Mario Maker 2 and Fire Emblem. I don't know how true the alleged technical issues the Switch version of the former are, but there are plenty of ways to bide the time until patches if they do get really bad.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just a little fun thing.

What would be Gruntilda's lines for shantae she if gets in and that feature appears for Spiral Mountain later this fall?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just a little fun thing.

What would be Gruntilda's lines for shantae she if gets in and that feature appears for Spiral Mountain later this fall?
You ought to know better than anyone that no DLC newcomer stage is going to get something like a guidance if it was too much work implementing that in the first place on Palutena's Temple. The price of a character pack would no doubt be jacked up with the disproportionate amount of effort.

On the other hand, I've heard some rumblings of rumours that the collection of spirits coming with Banjo may not be limited to his series, but also other Rare properties. Now if that's true it would certainly be interesting to see other Wayforward characters in Shantae's batch.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On the other hand, I've heard some rumblings of rumours that the collection of spirits coming with Banjo may not be limited to his series, but also other Rare properties. Now if that's true it would certainly be interesting to see other Wayforward characters in Shantae's batch.
PNG images are definitely more affordable than doing codecs for every character.

Heck, I could see them pull out from the entire WF-owned catalog, even Cat Girl Without Salad.

Dukefire

Smash Master
If that's a fact, then the other companies's games will be able to have some more light shine on them.

Regarding them not getting very popular and/or not having many games under their belt compared to the more active IP games.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
You ought to know better than anyone that no DLC newcomer stage is going to get something like a guidance if it was too much work implementing that in the first place on Palutena's Temple. The price of a character pack would no doubt be jacked up with the disproportionate amount of effort.

About that. Palutenas ones would have to bring in the voice actors each time. Gruntilda just does the same sound when she rhymes, so all it is is adding text for the new characters

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Thought I’d whip this up real quick since the topic was brought up:

Patricia Wagon
(Mighty Switch Force Series)
C8FF682C-8536-41F3-83E1-B5D31768A2B1.png

Spirit Type: Defense :starman::starman: Support
Spirit Effects: Energy-Shot Attack ↑
Opponent: :ultmegaman:(Cyan), :ultbowser: (Red), :ultbowser: (Blue)
Conditions: Sudden Final Smashes
-The enemy prefers neutral attacks and side smashes
-All fighters take serious damage
-The enemy will suddenly have a Final Smash
Stage: Moray Towers (Night)
Music Track: Style Savvy: Trendsetters (SSB4)
(Assuming Shantae won’t bring any MSF tracks with her)

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Thought I’d whip this up real quick since the topic was brought up:

Patricia Wagon
(Mighty Switch Force Series)
View attachment 229429
Spirit Type: Defense :starman::starman: Support
Spirit Effects: Energy-Shot Attack ↑
Opponent: :ultmegaman:(Cyan), :ultbowser: (Red), :ultbowser: (Blue)
Conditions: Sudden Final Smashes
-The enemy prefers neutral attacks and side smashes
-All fighters take serious damage
-The enemy will suddenly have a Final Smash
Stage: Fourside
Music Track: Undecided, what track sounds the most like MSF?
Try something from Splatoon, particularly a song from Chirpy Chips.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well just preorder GodEater 3. Anyone getting the game and making the avatar look like Shantae?

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Shantae has a simple, but expressive design not unlike Mario that is easy to identify regardless of which outfit or role she's in.
Yeah, pointy ears, long purple hair... In the video game world it's pretty hard to find another character like her.

Yet another reason why she certainly has a chance in Smash. Sakurai's silhouette philosophy works very much in Shantae's favor.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, pointy ears, long purple hair... In the video game world it's pretty hard to find another character like her.

Yet another reason why she certainly has a chance in Smash. Sakurai's silhouette philosophy works very much in Shantae's favor.
Hilda is the closest I guess? At least when Shantae's hair was just standard long instead of goddess long.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah, but when she wears her hair in her trademark high ponytail she becomes even more unique silhouette wise.
And don't forget her movements when idle. It can stand out with what she does including her personality and the hair whip.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, Opossum brought up some possibly interesting info recently.

So in the past I've hinted at knowing things about Smash that aren't public knowledge, let's say. I've been hearing something lately and I've finally been able to corroborate this with multiple people in the know, so I wanted to finally share it. Obviously, despite me believing this, remember to always take leaks with a grain of salt.

Okay so...leak time.

I have information that I very much believe is reliable. Won't reveal the sources obviously, but still, I personally have no reason to doubt any of them.

Basically, the Fighter Pass characters were decided long before a lot of people realize. Specifically, Banjo was negotiated back in April 2018, only a month after the original March Direct teaser trailer.

This info may seem to bare little of worth, but there are some takeaways here. This part is more speculative, but still. I think anyone believing that spirits aren't disconfirmations may be out of luck here, as I've suspected. If the pass was chosen that early, I don't see a case where those sorts of upgrades are possible. I also think this hits a SwSh Pokémon (barring a late addition a la Incineroar and Greninja) and new IPs like Astral Chain pretty hard.

Above all though, people should stop saying the DLC was decided in November lol.

So that's what I know. Figured I'd tell this thread since I imagine it's pretty relevant. :p
No matter what happens, always vocally support Shantae, even while the Ultimate DLC continues and there's no chance of her coming this time. Her series will keep continuing, nothing can take that away from us.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Random thought, a second DLC pass would probably not quite have the budget of the first one.

Ergo, I believe that if this is the first of multiple passes, they're doing the big name, and probably expensive to obtain 3rd party characters first (Though who knows who could top Banjo & Kazooie) and Nintendo owned characters in the second one. But that could also be a good chance for indie characters as they're not as expensive to obtain. (Shovel Knight has cameoed in more games than Metroid has had games for one)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Random thought, a second DLC pass would probably not quite have the budget of the first one.

Ergo, I believe that if this is the first of multiple passes, they're doing the big name, and probably expensive to obtain 3rd party characters first (Though who knows who could top Banjo & Kazooie) and Nintendo owned characters in the second one. But that could also be a good chance for indie characters as they're not as expensive to obtain. (Shovel Knight has cameoed in more games than Metroid has had games for one)
While I don't think SK will become playable regardless (I've come to accept that), we might see cases like Jason Frudnick make the cut, with any luck. Plus there's still the weird "missing character spirits" mystery that hasn't been solved for the time being.

Your reasoning makes sense otherwise though. I wonder if this would result in a price reduction compared to the individual characters in the hypothetical first pass, especially if they forego adding new stages after we get pass character 5.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
While I don't think SK will become playable regardless (I've come to accept that), we might see cases like Jason Frudnick make the cut, with any luck. Plus there's still the weird "missing character spirits" mystery that hasn't been solved for the time being.

Your reasoning makes sense otherwise though. I wonder if this would result in a price reduction compared to the individual characters in the hypothetical first pass, especially if they forego adding new stages after we get pass character 5.
Well the Nintendo characters were cheaper than the 3rd parties in Smash 4 but they all came with stages so I don't know how much of the cost reduction was due to what.

Though if Pass 2 is a thing, it would have had to have been decided by now, let's say December 2018 after release.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well the Nintendo characters were cheaper than the 3rd parties in Smash 4 but they all came with stages so I don't know how much of the cost reduction was due to what.

Though if Pass 2 is a thing, it would have had to have been decided by now, let's say December 2018 after release.
Seems fair then, although the DLC first parties were all veterans except Corrin. So if we get other first party newcomers that aren't recent, it stands to reason they could come with stages from existing series in Ultimate. Could not be a guarantee since we don't have much in the way of prior patterns to rely on, but who knows?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
So I am hearing that DLC may have been decided way back in March 2018, at least banjo was rumored to be decided then. I wonder if this hurts Spirits chances or not...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So I am hearing that DLC may have been decided way back in March 2018, at least banjo was rumored to be decided then. I wonder if this hurts Spirits chances or not...
That's the thing to take away from here. Besides the Schrodinger's cat that is characters that should have appeared as spirits, but didn't.

FE and gen 8 characters may almost certainly be toast though. Well, maybe the gen 8 might sneak in if TPC is really needy, but still.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, we are just waiting for more news to appear.

Also, Anime Expo is now less then a week away, so we are getting news from WF there maybe.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So, Opossum brought up some possibly interesting info recently.

No matter what happens, always vocally support Shantae, even while the Ultimate DLC continues and there's no chance of her coming this time. Her series will keep continuing, nothing can take that away from us.
Still don't really see anything in this that directly jeopardizes spirit chances. It just means that all negotiations may have happened early, but for Wayforward specifically we still don't know the extent of their discussion outside of getting two spirits. For all we know an agreement to make Shantae playable was made, just they're not developing her as soon as others. Whether spirits prove to be a red herring or not, an otherwise unrepresented third party getting them is still a sign they're squarely on the developer's radar.

Top Bottom