• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
**** yeah. That's awesome.
Yeah it is. Great that an indie studio can get in touch with such a big name. And, hey, if Shantae ever does get an anime, I guess we have a good idea who would make it. Can't wait to see what they share at anime expo.
Well then. NOW their appearance at Anime Expo makes sense.

I can see a lot of Kill La Kill jokes pop up after this.
Yeah, I can see a lot of those popping up. But hey, I am sure this will bring in a lot of new fans from the anime community, specifically those that follow Triggers work. Memes are just the glue that bring people together.

Also, found some great artwork that I had planned to share before seeing that info bombshell.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah it is. Great that an indie studio can get in touch with such a big name. And, hey, if Shantae ever does get an anime, I guess we have a good idea who would make it. Can't wait to see what they share at anime expo.

Yeah, I can see a lot of those popping up. But hey, I am sure this will bring in a lot of new fans from the anime community, specifically those that follow Triggers work. Memes are just the glue that bring people together.

Also, found some great artwork that I had planned to share before seeing that info bombshell.
I can say this; anime cult status is a big step up from indie label. This can only do a lot of good in the long run.

With any luck, a Netflix deal would be nice someday. :ultsimon:

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Personally, I'm more excited to hear the LWA jokes. :p
I saw a clip of that. I feel like that would be the more logical, but less popular joke to make to this news.
I can say this; anime cult status is a big step up from indie label. This can only do a lot of good in the long run.

With any luck, a Netflix deal would be nice someday. :ultsimon:
Shantae shall do what Beck could not an harness the power of anime fans!

Also, a Netflix series would be the best option right now, especially when you do take Castlevania into account. Talk about a difference in style, though.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
oh dear god we gonn' get Ryuko and Shantae crossover fanart now....Shantae and Risky in Kamuis.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, what should we expect from an opening cutscene animated by Studio Trigger? Not the most familiar with their work, so I am curious. I imagine it would almost be like an anime intro, so that's a good place to start for speculation.

zferolie

Smash Hero
UHHHHHHHHHHHHH-
...So, hope you are very excited zferolie zferolie . You kinda called it. It doesn't appear to be a full anime, but it is animated.
Oh wow, I called it. amazing haha. Not a full anime but just an opening is very good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staarih

Smash Master
Oh wow, I'm super excited. I really enjoyed Kill la Kill (artstyle most of all) so I'm all for this, even if it's just an opening animation. It only keeps on getting bigger and better for Shantae, a full-on anime can't be too far off haha!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Looked into some stuff, apparently Trigger is also one of two studious behind the opening of Indivisible.

I wonder if Trigger will have any more involvement? I know the tweet only said the opening, but with HGH having an animated cutscene milestone and all, it makes me wonder if more is at play.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So, what should we expect from an opening cutscene animated by Studio Trigger? Not the most familiar with their work, so I am curious. I imagine it would almost be like an anime intro, so that's a good place to start for speculation.
Action-packed with a few spots of humour is my guess.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
With the news of Shantae 5's opening done by trigger, I hope to see a big boost in Shantae's popularity on in japan!

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Man the fact that Shantae is getting an opening from the studio that made Kill La Kill is going to be great!!!!!

Get ready for the Shantae X Kill La Kill memes and artwork!!!!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
With the news of Shantae 5's opening done by trigger, I hope to see a big boost in Shantae's popularity on in japan!
I am sure that will help some, but I feel it will do a better job grabbing Trigger fans rather than any general audience. Are biggest bet in that regard would be a full on anime, which this news does help pave the way for.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If that's the case, Risky is carrying this. No one else wields a sword.

Do you think they are going to find some way to include the giga Mermaid in the opening? For some reason I get the feeling they will find a way, especially if she is set to return in this game.
Not sure, GM bumps up the rating simply by showing up, so that could limit the game's audience somewhat. I have no doubts that Risky would do the sword.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Not sure, GM bumps up the rating simply by showing up, so that could limit the game's audience somewhat. I have no doubts that Risky would do the sword.
Pretty sure they stopped caring, if they ever did, about ratings influenced by suggestive content after Pirate's Curse. We're five games in and they've shown no sign of slowing it down. Chances are more people would be upset if it were to get toned down instead of the other way around, because at this point it's too ingrained and part of what sets her apart from other colorful platforming stars.

Yet, even when logic seems to dictate a character like Giga Mermaid is mainly there to serve as eye candy with her prominence in advertising that doesn't match her overall significance in the main plot, she still manages to be appreciated for merits outside of that, namely setting a new precedent of the monster girls in Sequin Land not all being hostile by nature. We can potentially forge alliances or gain the respect with different tribes not unlike the Mantises in Hollow Knight, greatly fleshing out the world in the process. At least, that's what I hope to see with a potential Giga Mermaid reappearance.

Also, Risky would probably prefer to point with her pistol than her scimitar.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Oh wow, I called it. amazing haha. Not a full anime but just an opening is very good.
That was a fantastic call on your part. And honestly I could see it leading to an anime. I mean, WF could use this animated intro (and possibly more cutscenes I hope, I hope) and use them as a proof of concept pitch to studios. Like say they approach Netflix saying "hey, we have a video game franchise that is steadily rising in popularity and would like to expand the IP into other media. An animated series of our product could look like this (shows the professionally made intro scene) and if you publish it you can have exclusive distribution rights"

Netflix is notorious for green lighting lots of things in a far more hypothetical state of production than that. Presenting them with fully animated scenes from a popular production company already would put them far above most the people just pitching a an idea with no actual production work behind it.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
source? I need to really catch up on Trigger's stuff.
SSSS.Gridman is the 2018 reboot/sequel (it’s complicated like that) of the 1993 live-action superhero TV series Denkou Choujin Gridman and its North American adaptation Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad (I am not making that title up), and it is a dang good time, especially for mecha fans.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
How much of the intro do you think they will show off at Anime Expo? Kinda hard to believe that we would see all of it after just hearing about it when not even Indivisible has done that. Do we know WayForwards schedule for the expo?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Also, this is off topic so I won't linger, but anyone interested in the Switch version of Bloodstained should know that there is a lot of incentive for them to improve the port as the physical sales of the Switch version outsold the physical sales for PS4 and Xbox combined. So there is a large player base there which hopefully will get the Devs to put as much effort as they can into satisfying them.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Guys, I just had a thought. I was looking back at Smash reveals and saw the Joker reveal, which made me realize a possibility. If Trigger got super associated with Shantae by then, what if Shantae gets a Smash reveal animated by them? Just imagine seeing Nintendo characters being animated by Studio Trigger.

Last edited:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I just had a thought. I was looking back at Smash reveals and saw the Joker reveal, which made me realize a possibility. If Trigger got super associated with Shantae by then, what if Shantae gets a Smash reveal animated by them? Just imagine seeing Nintendo characters being animated by Studio Trigger.
Need I say more? ... Okay, why not.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Jontron Sweat.gif

Don't...don't just lay that out so suddenly...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
SSSS.Gridman is the 2018 reboot/sequel (it’s complicated like that) of the 1993 live-action superhero TV series Denkou Choujin Gridman and its North American adaptation Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad (I am not making that title up), and it is a dang good time, especially for mecha fans.
Glad to hear they fully expanded on the Anime Expo tribute.

How much of the intro do you think they will show off at Anime Expo? Kinda hard to believe that we would see all of it after just hearing about it when not even Indivisible has done that. Do we know WayForwards schedule for the expo?
Last I checked, no, it might have been updated though.

Okay, now that makes me want to see a re-enactment of The Pose scene from Project X Zone's intro. :ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultcorrinf::ultmetaknight::ultswordfighter::ulthero:

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Also, this is off topic so I won't linger, but anyone interested in the Switch version of Bloodstained should know that there is a lot of incentive for them to improve the port as the physical sales of the Switch version outsold the physical sales for PS4 and Xbox combined. So there is a large player base there which hopefully will get the Devs to put as much effort as they can into satisfying them.
I mean, they seemed pretty committed to that even before sales numbers entered the picture. Is this turnabout portability once again trumping any potential technical shortcomings that Switch owners are accustomed to from ports at this point? Or is it simply that there's more fans of Castlevania and related gameplay amongst them? Then again, it seems like pretty much any indie game worth it's salt magically seems to do far better on the Switch than any other platform, bar maybe the PC...

Okay, now that makes me want to see a re-enactment of The Pose scene from Project X Zone's intro. :ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultcorrinf::ultmetaknight::ultswordfighter::ulthero:
I'm mostly curious how they'd handle Toriyama's distinct artstyle with the Hero(es).

That opening was really good at finding common threads between all the characters. If the Smash roster ever got involved in something like that I'd want to see more of it.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I mean, they seemed pretty committed to that even before sales numbers entered the picture. Is this turnabout portability once again trumping any potential technical shortcomings that Switch owners are accustomed to from ports at this point? Or is it simply that there's more fans of Castlevania and related gameplay amongst them? Then again, it seems like pretty much any indie game worth it's salt magically seems to do far better on the Switch than any other platform, bar maybe the PC...

I'm mostly curious how they'd handle Toriyama's distinct artstyle with the Hero(es).

That opening was really good at finding common threads between all the characters. If the Smash roster ever got involved in something like that I'd want to see more of it.
Unrelated but check out ungodly well this song syncs up to Project X Zone's OP

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Oh, this is going to be good to see once Anime Expo arrives on July 4th.

Can't wait to see the animation intro.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
2 more days until the Anime Expo!!!!!

Hopefully we get new info soon.

zferolie

Smash Hero

So Lab zero will also be at anime expo, with Indivisible(who shantae is going to be a guest in) ad well as skullgirls.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Funny how trigger is working on 2 big indie games. And both western studios too. I know trigger comes to Anime Next in New Jersey a lot so its not too surprising they work with some western devs.

Top Bottom