• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The teaser from WF was supposedly (correct me if I am wrong) the Shantae 5 poster months ago and one of the artists on twitter talking about her work towards River City Girls.
D2io5uLX0AA-zF9.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Overall, Anime Expo hasn't even started and we're getting WF news reveals already. Doesn't seem to leave them with much left to do than formally announce it all later at the event this week. Still a pleasant surprise though.

Well that didn't take long with the whole Trigger x Shantae.

I will leave a link to the tweet and that is all I will do.

https://twitter.com/artbenbeau/status/1146478938950184960
As for the picture, I'll just leave this here.

tenorbarney.gif

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, new here.

Does anyone know exactly where this move comes from in the Dragon Quest franchise?

Cause the last thing I want to do is jump to conclusions.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Sorry, new here.

https://i.imgtc.com/vJ0n6qu.jpg

Does anyone know exactly where this move comes from in the Dragon Quest franchise?

Cause the last thing I want to do is jump to conclusions.
That probably a move from a brawler class.

Remember that the Hero can be anyone you choose and could eventually have a mixture of a playstyle you find confortable to face most battles.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
This just made me think of the possibility of Shantae being in BBTAG, considering ArkSys and all. Wouldn't that be neat?
You fool! You can't have Shantae and Ruby Rose in the same game it would be too--hrk! No, not like this, NOT LIKE--*heart attack*

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You fool! You can't have Shantae and Ruby Rose in the same game it would be too--hrk! No, not like this, NOT LIKE--*heart attack*
It's at moments like this where I wish I was still using my Ruby icon. I won't lie, that thought is part of the reason I brought the idea up.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That avatar was completely dope, ngl.
Yeah it was. Had to change it because rules, but it's fine.

Anyway, if Shantae did manage to get into something like BBTAG, that would certainly assist her popularity in general and as a possible Smash rep.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just wondering what is Wayforward's plans for crossovers in the near future?

Shantae has made crossovers, but not as many compared to the Knight of Shovelry.
Runbow
Blaster Master Zero
Indivisible (now coming up for Anime Expo)
Mutant Mudds Super Challenge

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Shantae has made crossovers, but not as many compared to the Knight of Shovelry.
Runbow
Blaster Master Zero
so 4 compared to Shovel Knight's....83?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not exactly meant for a comparison.

More that Wayforward has been selecting certain game titles for various reasons on the collaberation with Shantae.
Yeah, compared to YCG spreading thin and wide so they can set bread on the table and stay afloat, given that Treasure Trove's physical release still isn't out.

It really does make me wonder just how sustainable YCG is as a company, exactly.

Also, there was Shantae's Wario Ware DIY cameo, if it counts.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What about the other way around with characters potentially making guest appearances in 5? There could be a specific one for each console version like Shovel Knight had with Battletoads and Kratos.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The answers may come tomorrow at Anime Expo.

Also, it is no doubt going to have more gameplay footage compared to the VERY small preview of the game on the apple store.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

zferolie

Smash Hero
https://www.kuniokun.jp/rcg/
River City Girls Japan site now up! And new video!
Still looks great, and there looks to be a bunch of animated cut scenes. I know Ark System works is helping so thats probably why there are more animated stuff, but its nice to See wayforward having a lot more animation in their cutscenes. How is the japanese community reacting to this?

BTW, here is the lead pixel artists twitter, and how she is reacting to the trailer being shown.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818

Runbow
Blaster Master Zero
Not exactly meant for a comparison.

More that Wayforward has been selecting certain game titles for various reasons on the collaberation with Shantae.
Wayforward likely prefeers to handle crossovers so that Shantae is actually playable. A few people have noticed this (in this very thread IIRC).

YCG seems like they're OK with just cameo appereances for Shovel Knight.

Yeah, compared to YCG spreading thin and wide so they can set bread on the table and stay afloat, given that Treasure Trove's physical release still isn't out.

It really does make me wonder just how sustainable YCG is as a company, exactly.

Also, there was Shantae's Wario Ware DIY cameo, if it counts.
I've read speculation that YCG is barely breaking even. It might be one of the reasons for the constant delays. A pity, those amiibo look nice.

I really need to Finnish playing Shovel Knight.

What about the other way around with characters potentially making guest appearances in 5? There could be a specific one for each console version like Shovel Knight had with Battletoads and Kratos.
I doubt there will be console specific cameos. Has Wayforward done that in the past?

As for guest appereances? Shovel Knight maybe? Patricia Wagon might Be unlikely but is possible.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wayforward likely prefeers to handle crossovers so that Shantae is actually playable. A few people have noticed this (in this very thread IIRC).

YCG seems like they're OK with just cameo appereances for Shovel Knight.

I've read speculation that YCG is barely breaking even. It might be one of the reasons for the constant delays. A pity, those amiibo look nice.

I really need to Finnish playing Shovel Knight.

I doubt there will be console specific cameos. Has Wayforward done that in the past?

As for guest appereances? Shovel Knight maybe? Patricia Wagon might Be unlikely but is possible.
At least Blaster Master Zero lets you play as him. Also, Starr Mazer, if that eventually comes out with his guest star scenario intact.

Yeah, it's gotten to the point that there's a Shovel Knight board game with a Kickstarter campaign now, and I'm not sure if any proceeds will go to them.

I don't believe WF ever did any console exclusive guest appearances, that would limit their audience, I think. Incidentally, WF once tried to lobby for a guest appearance by the Battletoads for Double Dragon Neon on Xbox, but that got somehow turned down.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
At least Blaster Master Zero lets you play as him. Also, Starr Mazer, if that eventually comes out with his guest star scenario intact.

Yeah, it's gotten to the point that there's a Shovel Knight board game with a Kickstarter campaign now, and I'm not sure if any proceeds will go to them.

I don't believe WF ever did any console exclusive guest appearances, that would limit their audience, I think. Incidentally, WF once tried to lobby for a guest appearance by the Battletoads for Double Dragon Neon on Xbox, but that got somehow turned down.
Ive gotten tired of waiting for King's Card.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Question guys: anyone wants to want to help me make one of those Twitter theory things for Billybae10K Billybae10K to review about Shantae? I know he feels she has a zero percent chance, but I think its better then that.

Basically want to show that Spirits still aren't 100% deconfirmed, how wayforward aren't saying or retweeting anything smash related, the past hinting for smash could have been more then just spirits, how popular she is in the community and results in fan polls, and just how influencal Wayforward is in the indie scene. Anything else you guys got i would love to add.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Today is the day!!!!

We get to hear about Shantae 5!!!!!

Question guys: anyone wants to want to help me make one of those Twitter theory things for Billybae10K Billybae10K to review about Shantae? I know he feels she has a zero percent chance, but I think its better then that.

Basically want to show that Spirits still aren't 100% deconfirmed, how wayforward aren't saying or retweeting anything smash related, the past hinting for smash could have been more then just spirits, how popular she is in the community and results in fan polls, and just how influencal Wayforward is in the indie scene. Anything else you guys got i would love to add.
Just remember that Trophies were replaced by Spirits. Then use the example of Lucas and Mewtwo so yeah any spirit can be a fighter at this point. When it comes to female characters that have left mark in gaming, Shantae is one that represents best the Indies and what those devs have gone through to get their characters a platform.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Sakurai isn't the type of person to future-proof for DLC by holding back content.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Sakurai is an unpredictable man since he is the MAN that calls the shots in the first place for his creation. So, comments has little to no effect when it comes to Nintendo and Sakurai's choices.

Well, it did on some choices on characters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I just wish the possibility of further DLC comes up on February after the pass deal ends, so that we can all (possibly) move on from arguing about an occurrence that's happened before. It's gotten old at this point.

So now we are getting nothing at the anime expo?

Then why missed out on E3?
Huh

Idk why This tweet said we be getting shantae 5 info there
https://twitter.com/thatryanmolina/status/1138942163792932866?s=21
Oh boy, time for a Rashomon tale. Who's telling the truth and how long is this ride going to last?

web4.jpg

Dukefire

Smash Master
I just wish the possibility of further DLC comes up on February after the pass deal ends, so that we can all (possibly) move on from arguing about an occurrence that's happened before. It's gotten old at this point.

Oh boy, time for a Rashomon tale. Who's telling the truth and how long is this ride going to last?

We have until the end of Anime Expo to find out if its the truth or not.
So, hope its not a false truth.
Screenshot_20190704-015301_YouTube.jpg

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Sorry to burst your bubbles but it seems this game is getting a delay. Possibly to next year.

EDIT: Either that or they are waiting for her to be announced in the Smash Ultimate DLC as a fighter before they show her trailer. But that is just my opinion on the matter. Especially with how PR way WF are responding.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sorry to burst your bubbles but it seems this game is getting a delay. Possibly to next year.
...There's nothing in this that implied a big delay. There's still the rest of the year to know when the game will be ready, when we still haven't had a release date.

Can we at least wait until Anime Expo is over before assuming the worst?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah, Anime Expo will end on July 7th, so 3 days to wait. At least give Wayforward a break. They have been working hard with River City Girls now coming in 2 months.
Screenshot_20190703-175728_YouTube.jpg

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
...There's nothing in this that implied a big delay. There's still the rest of the year to know when the game will be ready, when we still haven't had a release date.

Can we at least wait until Anime Expo is over before assuming the worst?
Didn't you see my previous posts? They just announced not 18 hours ago that they have NOTHING MORE TO SHOW AT THE ANIME EXPO.

Right now they are either:
A. Waiting on a Smash DLC announcement for Shantae before revealing the true trailer for Shantae 5
B. The game is getting delayed to next year.

EDIT: Right now it is in a 50/50 chance for delay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom