• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
As far as I recall it was never promised there would be any Shantae 5 gameplay at the anime expo, so I don't see how this implies development hell. Besides, isn't the anime-to-it's core River City Girls more appropriate to show gameplay of there?

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Didn't you see my previous posts? They just announced not 18 hours ago that they have NOTHING MORE TO SHOW AT THE ANIME EXPO.

Right now they are either:
A. Waiting on a Smash DLC announcement for Shantae before revealing the true trailer for Shantae 5
B. The game is getting delayed to next year.
That could be yes, but focus on the now and worry later of the near future. Going too far ahead could end up having something else to appear.
Screenshot_20190619-102523_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well in case you guys didn't see my previous edited post then here it is.

"Seems we are at a 50/50 chance for a delay"

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I recall it was never promised there would be any Shantae 5 gameplay at the anime expo, so I don't see how this implies development hell. Besides, isn't the anime-to-it's core River City Girls more appropriate to show gameplay of there?
Also, keeping surprises for S5 under wraps (presumably plot-related) might seem like what they're going for. I didn't know "when it's ready" meant that a Duke Nukem Forever situation was going to happen. This isn't like for Shovel Knight Treasure Trove.

Let's not expect instant gratification. I presume that once they're freed up from RCG, they should at least have enough time to release the game by New Year's Eve.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I don't care when Shantae 5 releases, honestly. As long as they aren't rushing it.
Same I even then replied to them with:
Really I just don't want them to try and give us hope for this year then to just delay it. I rather they just straight up say "The game is delayed to early 2020. Thank you all for your continuing patience"

Or something along those lines.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I don't care when Shantae 5 releases, honestly. As long as they aren't rushing it.
Best to give the fans and people the best it can offer rather then have an incomplete one with errors.

We do know that WF will announce Shantae 5 on their own terms when ready. So either on August or somewhere later in the near future.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Delays are not bad guys, if it happens. A delayed game is eventually good, a rushed game is forever bad.

Besides, wayforward has a panel there, they could still discuss stuff. By show off they could mean a demo or something, but in a panel they could go into some details, maybe on production, or show some screenshots or sketches.

As for that twitter thread, i basically have a good idea what i'll say. I think i need to put in a bunch of stuff debunking peoples ideas on her not being in. Wjat i will say wont 100% disprove those theories but it will show there is not a single thing 100% disconfirming her as being a possible dlc like some people think. Nothing saod or shown from nintendo, wayforward, or anywhere else removes her 100%.

As for people saying other indies have a better shot, honestly the only one i feel has a good chance like shantae is Reimu. Every other indie, even ones i like, are either way too new, have only 2 or have less games under their belt, which i think are big nocks against them for smash, at least playable.

D

Deleted member

Sorry to burst your bubbles but it seems this game is getting a delay. Possibly to next year.

EDIT: Either that or they are waiting for her to be announced in the Smash Ultimate DLC as a fighter before they show her trailer. But that is just my opinion on the matter. Especially with how PR way WF are responding.
I don’t think it means anything.

If it geting delayed then it’s getting delayed. Nothing special here. just trying to make the game worth playing for others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Delays are not bad guys, if it happens. A delayed game is eventually good, a rushed game is forever bad.

Besides, wayforward has a panel there, they could still discuss stuff. By show off they could mean a demo or something, but in a panel they could go into some details, maybe on production, or show some screenshots or sketches.

As for that twitter thread, i basically have a good idea what i'll say. I think i need to put in a bunch of stuff debunking peoples ideas on her not being in. Wjat i will say wont 100% disprove those theories but it will show there is not a single thing 100% disconfirming her as being a possible dlc like some people think. Nothing saod or shown from nintendo, wayforward, or anywhere else removes her 100%.

As for people saying other indies have a better shot, honestly the only one i feel has a good chance like shantae is Reimu. Every other indie, even ones i like, are either way too new, have only 2 or have less games under their belt, which i think are big nocks against them for smash, at least playable.
They still might show that opening animation and gameplay preview. At least have something to let the fans know.

Also, indies that has stood on the tests of time are Shantae, Shovel Knight (Assist Trophy), Reimu from the Touhou series and Quote from Cave Story (the grandfather that started it all). Though, its up to the companies and Sakurai to make the final call.

zferolie

Smash Hero
They still might show that opening animation and gameplay preview. At least have something to let the fans know.

Also, indies that has stood on the tests of time are Shantae, Shovel Knight (Assist Trophy), Reimu from the Touhou series and Quote from Cave Story (the grandfather that started it all). Though, its up to the companies and Sakurai to make the final call.
Shovel knights company still only has 1 released game so far, and they arent done with the dlc the promised. Not saying they arent good, but they arent at cave story, shantae, or reimu levels

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The thing about delays is that they are a secret to everybody, even to developers, until they have to happen. There's nothing to gain from hiding them, so it's safe to assume they haven't happened until they do. Whether you have faith in their ability is another matter entirely, but don't put words in their mouths.

About other potential indies, I wouldn't discount Hollow Knight's potential at this stage, the game continues to sell very well on the Switch and it's set for a sequel.

zferolie

Smash Hero
The thing about delays is that they are a secret to everybody, even to developers, until they have to happen. There's nothing to gain from hiding them, so it's safe to assume they haven't happened until they do. Whether you have faith in their ability is another matter entirely, but don't put words in their mouths.

About other potential indies, I wouldn't discount Hollow Knight's potential at this stage, the game continues to sell very well on the Switch and it's set for a sequel.
Hollow knight has a chance yes. Getting a sequel and being so popular helps. Still, its only 2 games, so i would think they would pick a bigger indie studio, at least for the first one

Dukefire

Smash Master
Hollow knight has a chance yes. Getting a sequel and being so popular helps. Still, its only 2 games, so i would think they would pick a bigger indie studio, at least for the first one
For that, Shantae or Reimu would fit. Though I would've included Quote, he only has one game to this day.

TJKBird

Smash Cadet
Same I even then replied to them with:
Really I just don't want them to try and give us hope for this year then to just delay it. I rather they just straight up say "The game is delayed to early 2020. Thank you all for your continuing patience"

Or something along those lines.
They are being upfront with you my dude, they are planning to release it this year if possible but they may run into issues that cause a delay. Depending on where they are at in the process there is no real definitive way to say if they'll be able to release it this year or not. They may not have hit Q&A testing yet so it's possible that when they do everything might go smoothly and they can release as expected or they might run into a lot of game breaking bugs that need to be fixed causing a delay. Just be patient, it's only been a few months since we've even known that this game exists and I wouldn't even be fully surprised if that announcement was rushed due to gameplay being leaked in that apple trailer.

Dukefire

Smash Master
While the leaked apple trailer is true, it still could have the date on 2019. Depending if errors and problems are kept at a minimum.

We will find out once Wayforward is ready.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Drama just might make things worse.

Also, here is a shantae artwork for tonight
Artist: camaradepopof

Shantae_portrait_by_camaradepopof.jpg

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Love the artwork created by fans.

From @MaverickVortex
1562331569855.png

zferolie

Smash Hero
Nice artwork there

someone managed to get footage of the combat system demo. Though, not much since we have seen it years ago
Still looking good, but no news on a release or anything still huh?

Also, off topic but only just heard about this Bocchi thing(thanks to a news article on my new tab screen on my phone) wtf is wrong with gaming communitys attacking a girl because she beat a pro? The **** are some gamers so sexist...

Dukefire

Smash Master
Nice artwork there

Still looking good, but no news on a release or anything still huh?

Also, off topic but only just heard about this Bocchi thing(thanks to a news article on my new tab screen on my phone) wtf is wrong with gaming communitys attacking a girl because she beat a pro? The **** are some gamers so sexist...
Well, if a pro lost to a person that's not really known. Of course it does give an excuse to hate.

Honestly, people most of the time are just triggered by almost anything.

Top Bottom