• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Still don't really see anything in this that directly jeopardizes spirit chances. It just means that all negotiations may have happened early, but for Wayforward specifically we still don't know the extent of their discussion outside of getting two spirits. For all we know an agreement to make Shantae playable was made, just they're not developing her as soon as others. Whether spirits prove to be a red herring or not, an otherwise unrepresented third party getting them is still a sign they're squarely on the developer's radar.
It does at least help that unlike Shovel Knight she hasn't gotten an AT (which Yacht Club Games are more than happy about, for the record). Only time will tell whether or not WF has been playing the game of silence for a really long while...

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
It does at least help that unlike Shovel Knight she hasn't gotten an AT (which Yacht Club Games are more than happy about, for the record). Only time will tell whether or not WF has been playing the game of silence for a really long while...
Though you do have to give Shovel Knight credit for somewhat breaking no Indie Characters in Smash Bros.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That's the thing to take away from here. Besides the Schrodinger's cat that is characters that should have appeared as spirits, but didn't.

FE and gen 8 characters may almost certainly be toast though. Well, maybe the gen 8 might sneak in if TPC is really needy, but still.
Even outside timing issues I still think it's too early to be calling anything from Three Houses, we only have early impressions to go on for fan input so far and they can ultimately prove to be misleading. Byleth seems like a safe default, but the way he's handled here makes it seem like they're at least somewhat de-emphasizing his role in the plot compared to Robin and Corrin.

Sword & Shield... while a repeat of Greninja is always possible, TPC most likely knew they'd be walking on eggshells with their controversial-but-overall-necessary in their eyes plan to not include the National Dex in the game, and slighted fans are prone to dragging anything and everything related to the target of their rage down with the thing that upset them in the first place, even if normally they wouldn't be bothered by them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Even outside timing issues I still think it's too early to be calling anything from Three Houses, we only have early impressions to go on for fan input so far and they can ultimately prove to be misleading. Byleth seems like a safe default, but the way he's handled here makes it seem like they're at least somewhat de-emphasizing his role in the plot compared to Robin and Corrin.

Sword & Shield... while a repeat of Greninja is always possible, TPC most likely knew they'd be walking on eggshells with their controversial-but-overall-necessary in their eyes plan to not include the National Dex in the game, and slighted fans are prone to dragging anything and everything related to the target of their rage down with the thing that upset them in the first place, even if normally they wouldn't be bothered by them.
Yeah, yet some folks still dread having a FE newcomer regardless, despite the fact that an Echo seems like all we're getting this time. Gen 8 inclusion is certainly a Pandora's box that wouldn't be worth risking, it'd make the reaction to Corrin look mild.

In any case, it'll be very interesting to find out who will ultimately get in the next two slots when the "safe" first party options aren't immune to the recency chopping block.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Commander Video: appeared as a trophy. Breaking a little at the wall
Shovel Knight: damaged more of the wall by becoming Assist Trophy and having a 3D model with activity based on his mechanics.
???: destoryed the No Indie Character fan rule.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, yet some folks still dread having a FE newcomer regardless, despite the fact that an Echo seems like all we're getting this time. Gen 8 inclusion is certainly a Pandora's box that wouldn't be worth risking, it'd make the reaction to Corrin look mild.

In any case, it'll be very interesting to find out who will ultimately get in the next two slots when the "safe" first party options aren't immune to the recency chopping block.
An echo is probably what FE detractors are most afraid (or delighted?) of. Regardless of which character gets picked, Three House's focus on customization ensures at least some diversity. At minimum even Byleth's special sword would give him something different. The real question is who the fan-favourite, if a clear one even exists, will turn out to be after release. Edelgard seems favoured a bit in promotions so far but that's no guarantee of it translating to the final product.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
An echo is probably what FE detractors are most afraid (or delighted?) of. Regardless of which character gets picked, Three House's focus on customization ensures at least some diversity. At minimum even Byleth's special sword would give him something different. The real question is who the fan-favourite, if a clear one even exists, will turn out to be after release. Edelgard seems favoured a bit in promotions so far but that's no guarantee of it translating to the final product.
To me, the worst case scenario is ignoring the students and sticking with Teacher (exclusively using a sword), as the playable TH character in Smash. Who, as far as I know, hasn't shown off anything that interesting to justify a potential unique status.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To me, the worst case scenario is ignoring the students and sticking with Teacher (exclusively using a sword), as the playable TH character in Smash. Who, as far as I know, hasn't shown off anything that interesting to justify a potential unique status.
The Sword of Creation is a whip sword, which is kind of neat.

Personally I think Edelgard would be a better pick though, especially going off of the Three Houses leaks.

zferolie

Smash Hero
That's the thing to take away from here. Besides the Schrodinger's cat that is characters that should have appeared as spirits, but didn't.

FE and gen 8 characters may almost certainly be toast though. Well, maybe the gen 8 might sneak in if TPC is really needy, but still.
If rex and pyra were too new, then gen 8 and fe are too new for sure. But yeah.. i kinda wish they could jusy say spirits are or arent... the suspense is killing me.

For now, we are just waiting for more news to appear.

Also, Anime Expo is now less then a week away, so we are getting news from WF there maybe.
I know i have said it before, but while i am excited for shantae 5, i want to see river coty girls more. Just want to know how it will play and look.

Still don't really see anything in this that directly jeopardizes spirit chances. It just means that all negotiations may have happened early, but for Wayforward specifically we still don't know the extent of their discussion outside of getting two spirits. For all we know an agreement to make Shantae playable was made, just they're not developing her as soon as others. Whether spirits prove to be a red herring or not, an otherwise unrepresented third party getting them is still a sign they're squarely on the developer's radar.
That is true. I still think spirits dont deconfirm, as it would limit a lot of characters for sure...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If rex and pyra were too new, then gen 8 and fe are too new for sure. But yeah.. i kinda wish they could jusy say spirits are or arent... the suspense is killing me.
The staffers almost never outright deconfirm anyone by themselves. Last time, you had to wait until the DLC period ended (although it was obvious enough the ICs wouldn't get in for technical issue reasons). 5 games, and I've been conditioned to assume the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. And given the recent Gen 8 controversy, it may be best that we don't know for sure until much later.

Besides, I've never seen anyone make such a big fuss out of "TROPHIES DECONFIRM" in 4 before Mewtwo and Lucas came back.

That being said, I do want to see how River City Girls looks like, as long as it's better than the Battletoads reboot.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
The staffers almost never outright deconfirm anyone by themselves. Last time, you had to wait until the DLC period ended (although it was obvious enough the ICs wouldn't get in for technical issue reasons). 5 games, and I've been conditioned to assume the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. And given the recent Gen 8 controversy, it may be best that we don't know for sure until much later.

Besides, I've never seen anyone make such a big fuss out of "TROPHIES DECONFIRM" in 4 before Mewtwo and Lucas came back.

That being said, I do want to see how River City Girls looks like, as long as it's better than the Battletoads reboot.
Yeah i know its better for hype sales to keep people guessing but freaking out here... i really want shantae just getting a little worried. Not going to say game is terrible or freak out if shes not in, but would be nice.

I have seen the artist twitter doing river city girls, we have nothing to worry about on that end i think.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

As a Mewtwo main, I can tell you those people existed.

Anyway, here is my two cents on the "Banjo decided in April 2018" thing: First, this is just from one person saying it without telling us who their source is, if legit, sure I understand why not to give a source, but it can just as easily be a tactic to cover up a lazy fake. Second, if true, I would say we can't say what it means for spirits without first finding out when spirits were decided. Sakurai has gone on record that he doesn't like to consider DLC until the game is finished. So that would mean the spirits would have already been placed in the game (or at least planned for inclusion) before then. I would say that still leaves spirits on the table Especially for characters that have mulriple games or designs to pull from for a fighter spirit to be different from their WoL spirit (in a similar vain to the other fighters who also have spirits of themselves)

Also, it's entirely possible that those discussions for Banjo weren't for DLC but base roster, then due to time constraint got pushed back or Microsoft later requested they be DLC for a better profit on their end.

Banjo and Kazooie are a special case since they were considered even back in Melee and arguably would need the most negotiations since they are a first party property of a competitor console maker. It's very possible that the intent for B&K started long before DLC.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As a Mewtwo main, I can tell you those people existed.

Anyway, here is my two cents on the "Banjo decided in April 2018" thing: First, this is just from one person saying it without telling us who their source is, if legit, sure I understand why not to give a source, but it can just as easily be a tactic to cover up a lazy fake. Second, if true, I would say we can't say what it means for spirits without first finding out when spirits were decided. Sakurai has gone on record that he doesn't like to consider DLC until the game is finished. So that would mean the spirits would have already been placed in the game (or at least planned for inclusion) before then. I would say that still leaves spirits on the table Especially for characters that have mulriple games or designs to pull from for a fighter spirit to be different from their WoL spirit (in a similar vain to the other fighters who also have spirits of themselves)

Also, it's entirely possible that those discussions for Banjo weren't for DLC but base roster, then due to time constraint got pushed back or Microsoft later requested they be DLC for a better profit on their end.

Banjo and Kazooie are a special case since they were considered even back in Melee and arguably would need the most negotiations since they are a first party property of a competitor console maker. It's very possible that the intent for B&K started long before DLC.
Given that, potential picks like Crash Bandicoot may not be as simple as people think, if it was this complex just to get BK in here.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I'd imagine characters like Shantae would be much easier to negotiate.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd imagine characters like Shantae would be much easier to negotiate.
It would be kind of hilarious if WF were so overly prepared for the possibility that they hired a Japanese interpreter, should contact with Sakurai be achieved.

That being said, looking at the Anime Expo schedule, Cristina Vee will at least be around for autograph sessions on the 4th of July:

http://www.anime-expo.org/plan/schedule/?1_route=/client-embeds/anime-expo-2019/1/1/__/&

So far, no peep of WayForward's involvement being mentioned.

Also, I wonder if the reason why Udon's Shantae artbook was delayed was because of them being informed about Shantae 5 at the last minute.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Guess we will have to find soon coming in 4 days. Just remember to not be in a flaming rage if things don't fall into place like what we thought.

Also, I think The Hero may have his release date somewhere in July or August. Though Nintendo will have the final words about it.
Screenshot_20190624-152253_YouTube.jpg

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
Wanted to mention I'm utterly stoked with what Anime Expo will reveal in regards to her latest installment!

I actually went to this con once 4 years prior to be exact!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Guess we will have to find soon coming in 4 days. Just remember to not be in a flaming rage if things don't fall into place like what we thought.

Also, I think The Hero may have his release date somewhere in July or August. Though Nintendo will have the final words about it.
I know of that, I think this thread is mature enough to handle it. I think there'd just be confusion, more than anything.

Besides, I'm used to the goalpost for anything being moved all the time, whether it's from the industry or fans.

12_107900_728_1132.jpg

If plans fall through, the only other real options are the indies direct on August, or the VGAs. Or shadow-dropping the reveal on Twitter. :drshrug:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I know of that, I think this thread is mature enough to handle it. I think there'd just be confusion, more than anything.

Besides, I'm used to the goalpost for anything being moved all the time, whether it's from the industry or fans.

If plans fall through, the only other real options are the indies direct on August, or the VGAs. Or shadow-dropping the reveal on Twitter. :drshrug:
I think its time to stop thinking and start more on the waiting.

Lets see what does WF and Cristina Vee has in store.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Though, an announcement at VGA is too far-fetched to me.
Tell that to those who think indies have enough presence at the VGAs (beyond Dead Cells winning an award). Besides the indies Direct on August, there's really no other "big" option. :drshrug:

At least we know when the MSF collection's dropping. 20 bucks is a steal for all that content, too.

In the meantime, a couple things, Volks is having a keychain deal for beach Shantae: https://twitter.com/VOLKSHobby/status/1144766024023068673

And, WF still being coy about whether or not Xtreme Sports is set within the same universe: https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/1144682173074685955

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Works for me, mate. Luckily, I got Crash Team Racing in the meantime.
For me it's making Shantae inspired levels in Mario Maker, and maybe even some Mighty Switch Force ones. And having just finished Hollow Knight, can start a new adventure in Bloodstained.

Mostly finished my Hypno Baron Castle-inspired level. Just need to do some final testing before uploading. Winged Boom-Boom makes a surprisingly good Squid Baron, if the latter ever puts cloaking in his repertoire. You can even use floor Boos in the 3D World style, surprisingly.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
With E3 season over the next big thing we're waiting for will most likely be the next Nintendo direct or Apple's next big thing.

KatKit

Smash Lord
If there's no Squid Baron spirit battle against giant red Kirby's that blow up when you defeat them, we riot.

But seriously, I love Squid Baron (it's so funny/cute; probably my favorite side character in Shantae because of the dialogue) and would love to have a spirit fight against it, if Shantae ever made it in Smash.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If there's no Squid Baron spirit battle against giant red Kirby's that blow up when you defeat them, we riot.

But seriously, I love Squid Baron (it's so funny/cute; probably my favorite side character in Shantae because of the dialogue) and would love to have a spirit fight against it, if Shantae ever made it in Smash.
I know Kirby has the appearance, but a King Dedede that up bs a lot and damages you by running I feel would be a better recreation of the basic elements of Squid Baron's fights. Small Inkling children backup and turning metal partway through the battle optional.

KatKit

Smash Lord
They'd probably give Kirby the "cause damage while dashing" modification, but I like the idea of small Inklings as his children and turning metal during the fight. Bonus points if the blue colored Robin joins in mid-fight as Hypno Baron.

Anyway, I think an all white color scheme alt would be a neat way to reference the pajama costume. Nega Shantae, Sky, Bolo, and Rottytops themed palette swaps would seem likely as well. Regardless, if Shantae gets in, we'd automatically have a Squid Baron palette swap since they have the same color scheme. :secretkpop:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
They'd probably give Kirby the "cause damage while dashing" modification, but I like the idea of small Inklings as his children and turning metal during the fight. Bonus points if the blue colored Robin joins in mid-fight as Hypno Baron.

Anyway, I think an all white color scheme alt would be a neat way to reference the pajama costume. Nega Shantae, Sky, Bolo, and Rottytops themed palette swaps would seem likely as well. Regardless, if Shantae gets in, we'd automatically have a Squid Baron palette swap since they have the same color scheme. :secretkpop:
I was actually thinking Mewtwo’s dark costume for Hypno Baron.

But yeah I had those in mind for her palettes and I think her jammies could even be a costume as well (with her hair done up so she’d still be able to do those attacks) as her pirate outfit since that’s pretty simple. I did a mock-up of what I think her palettes should be a while ago: https://smashboards.com/threads/sha...-new-wayforward.446536/page-488#post-22603645

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Opinions on the Switch version are all over the place. I'm inclined to believe the ones ragging on it the most are just super-sensitive and/or have other versions on hand to compare to. As for the lower graphics, well... this game supposedly has a somewhat ''classic'' vibe, so I choose to take it as part of the charm :p. Plus, it's not like the other console versions are flawless.

My Hypno Baron course is now up: 9MQ-G42-P4G.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Opinions on the Switch version are all over the place. I'm inclined to believe the ones ragging on it the most are just super-sensitive and/or have other versions on hand to compare to. As for the lower graphics, well... this game supposedly has a somewhat ''classic'' vibe, so I choose to take it as part of the charm :p. Plus, it's not like the other console versions are flawless.

My Hypno Baron course is now up: 9MQ-G42-P4G.
As a person who has been playing the switch version practically nonstop since it came out I can say that the game is far from broken, but does need more attention. It's crashed maybe 3 times on me and slow down only consistently happen in two areas of the game.

The graphical and frame downgrade is a bummer but even then it still looks good and the game plays well enough that it's easy to forget.

Plus, with such a grind heavy game as this is for completionists, being portable makes it superior in some ways. I mean you can do all the important stuff on the tv with the pro controller and then when you have a bus ride or something along those lines you can take it with you and farm materials and shards.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Usually the switch version of some games are not the best compared to other consoles, but it still does hold content value.

Those games can still be easy to pickup and play while on the go. So, everything does have its pros and cons.

Also, Bloodstained has 13 free DLC coming up, so adjustments can appear time to time.

Edit: I found a video talking about Indie Characters having a chance getting in Smash Ultimate as DLC. I will put it under spoiler for the thumbnail in case.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
UHHHHHHHHHHHHH-
...So, hope you are very excited zferolie zferolie . You kinda called it. It doesn't appear to be a full anime, but it is animated.

Top Bottom