• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, how on Earth would an indie character be revealed for Smash then?

Can't do it on a normal Direct, those are for general games that aren't necessarily indies.
Can't do it on the VGAs, those don't have a heavy indie focus.
Can't do it on E3, attention would be taken away under the hype of huge announcements.

Do you honestly expect them to be shadow-dropped out of nowhere?

That being said, the Nindie showcase better be as good as the Nindies direct we got earlier next year. Would be nice to know a release date for Blasphemous, for starters.

Also, while an indie character's being rumored at the moment, I'm not really putting any stock into it. The rumor seems weird to me, and I can't put my finger on why.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Can't do it on a normal Direct, those are for general games that aren't necessarily indies.
Can't do it on E3, attention would be taken away under the hype of huge announcements.

That being said, the Nindie showcase better be as good as the Nindies direct we got earlier next year. Would be nice to know a release date for Blasphemous, for starters.

Also, while an indie character's being rumored at the moment, I'm not really putting any stock into it. The rumor seems weird to me, and I can't put my finger on why.
WHAT?! indie rumor?!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

They could reveal the character during a normal direct, they already put Undertale and Deltarune in normal directs.

They could also just put an indie character in a Smash-focused direct.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, I wouldn't trust the leaks.

Having an Undertale Rep for indie and Waluigi as the final two sounds too good to be true.

It just might make people cry of salt if it doesn't come true (and usually it does.)

Screenshot_20190614-223211_YouTube.jpg

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I personally don't believe that rumor at all.

1) As popular as it was, Undertale is starting to wane in popularity. It's still a franchise that will endure and do well over time, but it's not the gigantic phenomena that it was. Also I just don't think a character from Undertale would translate well to a "fighting" game. The biggest thing about undertale was the ability to choose how violent you wanted to be, with the option for complete non-violence if people chose (also the most popular option) So having Frisk fighting would be representing only half of the character's potential and not the half that most fans prefer.

2) Also, Waluigi has too much working against him to really consider. First, he is an assist which speaks to how the dev team think of him, and also means making him into a fighter would also mean removing the work they already did on his assist.

Second, he is not very popular at ALL in Japan. In the west he has meme status, but in Japan most fans just think of him as what he was originally made as, someone to complete Wario's parallel to Mario.

People often use Daisy as proof that Waluigi isn't too low on the totem pole to become a fighter, but Daisy had two things going for her that got her in: She is popular (still has her haters, but more care about her than Waluigi) and the more important fact, she could conceivably work as an echo and thus won't take much time to implement.

Unfortunately for Waluigi, he just wouldn't work as a Wario Echo, and being an echo of anyone else just really wouldn't make much sense.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Shantae is probably my top most wanted character now next to Doomguy/Master Chief. I think she has a pretty good chance to be one of the final two.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Again, I wouldn't trust the leaks.

Having an Undertale Rep for indie and Waluigi as the final two sounds too good to be true.

It just might make people cry of salt if it doesn't come true (and usually it does.)

Unfortunately, most people believe it. The Paragon leak is set to be the current arc villain.

You'd think that people would actually learn to distrust any obviously fake leak, but apparently not. :glare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwtSaG3foi8

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Unfortunately, most people believe it. The Paragon leak is set to be the current arc villain.

You'd think that people would actually learn to distrust any obviously fake leak, but apparently not. :glare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwtSaG3foi8
I think the Grinch leak showed us that if you tell people what they want, enough will want to believe and force themselves to be oblivious to what doesn't add up.

Both of these characters are wanted by a lot of Smash fans on the internet. Just by averages there are plenty of fans who really want BOTH of them. So here comes a leak, with enough details to make it seem "plausible" say that one or both of the characters you really want are a sure thing, and people will latch onto it until something comes along to help them see the chinks in the armor.

I can't blame anyone for wanting bad enough that they allow themselves to believe this or any other "leak" and I'm sure if one came along that promised a handful of characters I really wanted I would probably do the same.

I was right about the Grinch leak, but I'm sure the only reason I was able to see through it was because I really didn't care for any of the characters they promised (I like Banjo and Kazooie, but they don't rank high on the list of characters I really wanted)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think the Grinch leak showed us that if you tell people what they want, enough will want to believe and force themselves to be oblivious to what doesn't add up.

Both of these characters are wanted by a lot of Smash fans on the internet. Just by averages there are plenty of fans who really want BOTH of them. So here comes a leak, with enough details to make it seem "plausible" say that one or both of the characters you really want are a sure thing, and people will latch onto it until something comes along to help them see the chinks in the armor.

I can't blame anyone for wanting bad enough that they allow themselves to believe this or any other "leak" and I'm sure if one came along that promised a handful of characters I really wanted I would probably do the same.

I was right about the Grinch leak, but I'm sure the only reason I was able to see through it was because I really didn't care for any of the characters they promised (I like Banjo and Kazooie, but they don't rank high on the list of characters I really wanted)
Yeah, and the worst part is this time, the leaker in question claimed he received a C&D while sharing the info on Discord, to pluck people's heart strings even further.

I was really uncertain about the Grinch leak myself (although I did want to see Banjo). Though that was bad enough that the legit Ken and box leaks wedged people into a Civil War as a result. For that, they could have picked any set of characters people wanted and it would still work in hooking people.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Yeah, and the worst part is this time, the leaker in question claimed he received a C&D while sharing the info on Discord, to pluck people's heart strings even further.

I was really uncertain about the Grinch leak myself (although I did want to see Banjo). Though that was bad enough that the legit Ken and box leaks wedged people into a Civil War as a result. For that, they could have picked any set of characters people wanted and it would still work in hooking people.
Yeah, the box promising only two more characters really did help people to latch onto the Grinch just in hopes of having more characters

zferolie

Smash Hero

They could show it on a normal direct. I mean indie stuff has been shown in normal dorects. Plus, smash reveals dont always show the character in their game then suddenly its a smash reveal(like with isabelle). It could just work like the heroes reveal. Heck for shantae, if could show a spirit orb flying off and them turning back into a fighter at some point.

As for this rumor... i dont beleive it. As others have said, undertale while popular has wanned in popularity, and i dont think ninte do would take someone from that for smash. At least so far nintendo doesnt seem that close to toby fox, unlike with wayforward, the hollow knight people, and the cadence people.

Plus waluigi? I want him too, but he breaks the trend of what the first fighters pass seems to be. All 3rd party newcomers that would make a big surprise. Waluigi could be a surprise but not nearly as much as some third parties.

The guy is also claiming to have an nda now too, way to convenient. Just copying that other legit leaker to make himself look more credible. I would say ignore him but smash fans are just so easily gullible. Just look at laxchris lol.

Granted we have all fallen for a leak or gotten our hipes up. I remember that gardevoir leak with an Gothettle echo and i was hopeful. Sadly no kinda believable leaks had shantae in them.

Honestly that female fighter with a projectile leak seems more legit then this but still not fully believeing it

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
They could show it on a normal direct. I mean indie stuff has been shown in normal dorects. Plus, smash reveals dont always show the character in their game then suddenly its a smash reveal(like with isabelle). It could just work like the heroes reveal. Heck for shantae, if could show a spirit orb flying off and them turning back into a fighter at some point.

As for this rumor... i dont beleive it. As others have said, undertale while popular has wanned in popularity, and i dont think ninte do would take someone from that for smash. At least so far nintendo doesnt seem that close to toby fox, unlike with wayforward, the hollow knight people, and the cadence people.

Plus waluigi? I want him too, but he breaks the trend of what the first fighters pass seems to be. All 3rd party newcomers that would make a big surprise. Waluigi could be a surprise but not nearly as much as some third parties.

The guy is also claiming to have an nda now too, way to convenient. Just copying that other legit leaker to make himself look more credible. I would say ignore him but smash fans are just so easily gullible. Just look at laxchris lol.

Granted we have all fallen for a leak or gotten our hipes up. I remember that gardevoir leak with an Gothettle echo and i was hopeful. Sadly no kinda believable leaks had shantae in them.

Honestly that female fighter with a projectile leak seems more legit then this but still not fully believeing it
My problem with the "female fighter" leak is I really can't think of any female characters from fighting games that fit the description and also seem likely.

I mean, first one that comes to mind would be Chun Li, which I would be SO down for. I'd love her to be in, but I really don't see Steet Fighter getting a 3rd rep, and she doesn't have a projectile move.

Morgana could be possible and I would love to have her in as well (I like Felicia more, but Morgana is the mascot) But Darkstalkers as a franchise is sadly (no pun intended) pretty dead. After Revival (or whatever it was called) sold badly Capcom was pretty open about not seeing a future for the franchise.

Then there is Kasumi from Dead or Alive... but honestly that series deals in mostly realistic fighting, no energy blasts or over the top weapons, or ridiculous Martial Arts like you might see in street fighter. SO not only does that get in the way of the projectile bit of the leak, but it would also make her rather uninteresting in Smash with everyone else flying around and her just doing real life kicks and grapples.

After that, you don't have many female characters that are either from much smaller franchises or that aren't really the best representative from their franchise.

I mean if Mortal Kombat got a rep it would probably be Scorpion or SubZero, not any of their female cast. I love ChamCham to pieces, but her or any other females in Samurai Shodown aren't likely to be their first rep either...

I guess maybe Mai from King of Fighters? Does she have a projectile? Is she considered as much of a mascot for the series as Terry? I'm not being rhetorical, I actually am not familiar enough with the series to know who is considered the main characters along the lines that Ryu is to Street Fighter.

zferolie

Smash Hero
My problem with the "female fighter" leak is I really can't think of any female characters from fighting games that fit the description and also seem likely.

I mean, first one that comes to mind would be Chun Li, which I would be SO down for. I'd love her to be in, but I really don't see Steet Fighter getting a 3rd rep, and she doesn't have a projectile move.

Morgana could be possible and I would love to have her in as well (I like Felicia more, but Morgana is the mascot) But Darkstalkers as a franchise is sadly (no pun intended) pretty dead. After Revival (or whatever it was called) sold badly Capcom was pretty open about not seeing a future for the franchise.

Then there is Kasumi from Dead or Alive... but honestly that series deals in mostly realistic fighting, no energy blasts or over the top weapons, or ridiculous Martial Arts like you might see in street fighter. SO not only does that get in the way of the projectile bit of the leak, but it would also make her rather uninteresting in Smash with everyone else flying around and her just doing real life kicks and grapples.

After that, you don't have many female characters that are either from much smaller franchises or that aren't really the best representative from their franchise.

I mean if Mortal Kombat got a rep it would probably be Scorpion or SubZero, not any of their female cast. I love ChamCham to pieces, but her or any other females in Samurai Shodown aren't likely to be their first rep either...

I guess maybe Mai from King of Fighters? Does she have a projectile? Is she considered as much of a mascot for the series as Terry? I'm not being rhetorical, I actually am not familiar enough with the series to know who is considered the main characters along the lines that Ryu is to Street Fighter.
I dont think they litterally meant from a fighting game. Just someone that could look like a fighter. Like you said, a female from a fighting game with a projectile is very specific and that leaker would have known who it was.

So i think if that leak is true, again which i am not putting too much hope in it, it means a lot of girl video game characters are good. Shantae, reimu, and more.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I dont think they litterally meant from a fighting game. Just someone that could look like a fighter. Like you said, a female from a fighting game with a projectile is very specific and that leaker would have known who it was.

So i think if that leak is true, again which i am not putting too much hope in it, it means a lot of girl video game characters are good. Shantae, reimu, and more.
I may have heard things wrong, I heard that the leak mentioned it was a "female from a fighting game" and not just "female fighter"

Tho if they did mean the latter, there certainly opens up a lot more options (one particular option hopefully)

That said I haven't seen anything on that leak to make it any more credible than the dozen others that constantly pop up, so I'm not gonna pay much attention to it unless something else comes along to give it a boost.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Chun-Li absolutely does have a projectile, it's called Kikouken, and there's even a super version of it called Kikou-shou. It's just that it's not a big part of her fighting style compared to people Ryu or Sagat.

Also, it's Morrigan Aensland, not Morgana. We have a cat named that in Smash already.

Kasumi specifically does have teleport moves and can canonically use the Hadoken-like Torn Sky Blast. You could also draw from some of her playable appearances in the modern Ninja Gaiden games, but let's be honest, no one from Team Ninja is getting in before Ryu Hayabusa.

Last edited:

TJKBird

Smash Cadet

Chun Li does have a projectile, she has her Kikoken. She's also one of the first (if not the first) female fighting game character and is probably one of the most recognizable fighting game characters after Ryu so there is merit there.

I also assume you mean Morrigan not Morgana. Morrigan is recognizable but I don't think Darkstalkers is all that notable of a franchise so I'm hesitant to say Sakurai would care to add her.

Mai does have a projectile as well, she throws her fan as a projectile. King of Fighters has been around for awhile and she's relatively popular so it's a possibility.

Tekken has Nina but from memory Tekken doesn't have any projectile characters and I don't think Nina really fits the role of series representative.

Soul Calibur has plenty of females but none with a projectile. The closest would be Ivy and she is a decent rep for the franchise.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Maybe. Though we still don't know what the deal with the stray Kirby footage on Twitch was.

Also, arguably, Hero and BK's announcement kind of overshadowed everyone in the E3 Direct short of Zelda. Heck, DQ by itself has been overshadowing things overall lately. :p

In any case, you never know what could happen. But one thing for sure is, the Nindies showcase should at least be as good as the Nindies we got a few months ago.

That being said, on an indie note, My Friend Pedro is launching today.

I played this game at PAX East and I loved it. The controls are so much fun!

Dukefire

Smash Master
Chun-Li has the kikoken, but its a limited projectile and shows she still needs to fight up close with her kicks. Plus, we have two Street Fighter characters already. So that may go against her.

Tekken is more purely for CQC then projectile.

King of Fighters and soul caliber I haven't played or even watched a lot. So, I have no idea.

Redundant again, what do these female fighters has to offer that is unique and different compared to the other 73 current fighters.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
If this leak is true. the fact that Japanese person and perhaps their source cant properly identify the character might mean their arent a well known character in Japan.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
As for this rumor... i dont beleive it. As others have said, undertale while popular has wanned in popularity, and i dont think ninte do would take someone from that for smash. At least so far nintendo doesnt seem that close to toby fox, unlike with wayforward, the hollow knight people, and the cadence people
Undertale is still very popular, and Nintendo put it and Deltarune in normal directs instead of with the other "Nindies." It probably won't get in, but it may be just as likely as these other indies.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, the Anime Expo is what I'll be waiting.

Thinking about Smash Ultimate's final two? Fighters is not the right time with The Hero and Banjo-Kazooie currently on the hot topic. Also, they might have another reveal on either August or September for the fall including Banjo's rundown and possibly more content for the next update.
Screenshot_20190620-115810_Chrome.jpg

KatKit

Smash Lord
As far as fighting games go, Mu-12/Noel Vermillion fits the description, for what it's worth. It'd even make sense to have her as a playable character since the series' main protagonist no longer exists in-universe. Out of all of the current fighting game juggernauts, ArcSys is one of the few third party devs not in Smash Bros. Don't get me wrong, I think she has a snowball's chance at best, but an ArcSys rep would be cool as heck lol.

More on topic, I just realized that Shantae's crouching animation would look kinda like Pikachu's. If she had a belly dance taunt, I hope it has sparkles/music notes surrounding her.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Something about Banjo makes me think of how Sakurai keeps fan suggestions and wants in mind more than you might think. Even with the future of the pair uncertain nowadays, he saw fit to include them just for those who grew up with the N64, or even happened to play the games on Xbox. Dark Samus evokes similar feelings, being unlikely to show up in future games on account of being deceased, the likely outcome being demand dwindling in favour of Ridley and remaining as an assist, but here we are.

All this just to say I scoff at the notion of an indie not causing a big enough splash, and reaffirm my belief of a long or notable history on Nintendo platforms being a strong factor in selection. But as an aside, could you imagine what would happen if a second pass came to be, and it turned out to be indie-themed? I picture something like the Great Indie Wars of 2020 happening...

KatKit

Smash Lord
Someone mentioned a theory about "themed" season passes (with an Echo pass thrown in). Assuming this isn't a third-party only themed pass, I can imagine Shantae on an Indie-themed pass or (preferably) a "Super Bash Smash Sisters" themed pass.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Someone mentioned a theory about "themed" season passes (with an Echo pass thrown in). Assuming this isn't a third-party only themed pass, I can imagine Shantae on an Indie-themed pass or (preferably) a "Super Bash Smash Sisters" themed pass.
where?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Didn't the last two VGAs have an indie category? They could reveal Shantae during that.
Problem is, Shantae doesn't show up much in those, iirc. Although Dead Cells won Best Action Game last year, so there is that...

Something about Banjo makes me think of how Sakurai keeps fan suggestions and wants in mind more than you might think. Even with the future of the pair uncertain nowadays, he saw fit to include them just for those who grew up with the N64, or even happened to play the games on Xbox. Dark Samus evokes similar feelings, being unlikely to show up in future games on account of being deceased, the likely outcome being demand dwindling in favour of Ridley and remaining as an assist, but here we are.

All this just to say I scoff at the notion of an indie not causing a big enough splash, and reaffirm my belief of a long or notable history on Nintendo platforms being a strong factor in selection. But as an aside, could you imagine what would happen if a second pass came to be, and it turned out to be indie-themed? I picture something like the Great Indie Wars of 2020 happening...
On one hand, I'm not sure if they'd do themes for passes, otherwise it would have been clear enough, depending on the last two characters of the current one.

On the other, having Shantae, Quote and Sans (or Frisk, if not him) in the same game would be sweet. :idea:

Last edited:
Top Bottom