• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Haha seems like i thought i had the ps4 version, but actually had the switch version. The special backers physical version. So i wont be playing the game tonight.

What did ship to me was actually my physical version of time spinner, along with a shirt and stickers. You guys play that game?

Wonder why i am only just getting this now though when it came put awhile ago. Completely forgot about it haha
No, but I think the protagonist made an appearance in Aegis Defenders, which I did play. Is there a part where you run from a fiery wall of doom?

All these indie metroidvanias sure are thriving with the ironic current lack of Metroid and modern Castlevania.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
IT'S THAT TIME ONCE AGAIN SHANTAE FANS. FOR THE ULTIMATE DLC TOURNAMENT!!!!! This time it's a tough opponent in Sora from Kingdom Hearts!!!!
Who will win? Well we know who we are all going to vote for. OUR HALF GENIE HERO, SHANTAE!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdwnUVUXdt4
#ShantaeForSmashDLC

GO VOTE NOW!!!!

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
IT'S THAT TIME ONCE AGAIN SHANTAE FANS. FOR THE ULTIMATE DLC TOURNAMENT!!!!! This time it's a tough opponent in Sora from Kingdom Hearts!!!!
Who will win? Well we know who we are all going to vote for. OUR HALF GENIE HERO, SHANTAE!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdwnUVUXdt4
#ShantaeForSmashDLC

GO VOTE NOW!!!!
I really feel bad for Sora fans. From the get go he was a long shot because of legal/licensing reasons, but now with Hero I would say he has next to no chance. I mean Square is now getting a new fighter that has 4 different models. If they got another character after that it would make the fighter pass feel a little disjointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I really feel bad for Sora fans. From the get go he was a long shot because of legal/licensing reasons, but now with Hero I would say he has next to no chance. I mean Square is now getting a new fighter that has 4 different models. If they got another character after that it would make the fighter pass feel a little disjointed.
While I do agree, don't count the chickens yet. There is still some time left, heck that could be said the same for shantae and possibly others if another unique character took the spotlight in the near future.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
While I do agree, don't count the chickens yet. There is still some time left, heck that could be said the same for shantae and possibly others if another unique character took the spotlight in the near future.
My point is that with 5 spots, two of them going to one developer would seem a little uneven, especially when one of those slots is almost 4 characters model wise.

The only way that same logic would work against Shantae would be if they already announced one of the spots was going to another WF rep.

Honestly my logic favors Shantae as it would by default remove any competition coming from Sega, Square and Microsoft. For example, similarly to how I feel Hero means Sora has no chance, B&K means Steve has no chance (as a fighter, I'm certain he will be a Mii costume)

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Sora is owned by Disney 100%. Not Square.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Sora is owned by Disney 100%. Not Square.
OK, I was operating with an understanding that the two companies had a dual ownership of that characters created for the Kingdom Hearts games.

Anyway, being fully owned by Disney I would say hurts his chances even further.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
OK, I was operating with an understanding that the two companies had a dual ownership of that characters created for the Kingdom Hearts games.

Anyway, being fully owned by Disney I would say hurts his chances even further.
I disagree. Now you don't technically have to go through two companies to get his rights, and Disney and Nintendo have a pretty good relationship, all things considered. Yeah, Disney likes to extend the courtesy of going through franchise creator and director Tetsuya Normura whenever KH is involved in anything, but it is not a requirement.

I'd be down to get both Sora and Shantae in Smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There ain't no rule that says there can't be more than one character from one company in one game's cycle, tossing aside the fan-imposed "final two DLC slots" for a moment.

I mean, the last game had this with Capcom, so I doubt that company rivalry goes into this when Sakurai explicitly couldn't care any less about the console war, let alone conflicting interests. :ultmegaman::ultryu:

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The real issue with Sora is that the majority of the Kingdom Hearts cast are non-gaming characters. Nobody's seriously rallying James Bond or Oddjob despite the success of Goldeneye. And even if you try to argue the incarnations of characters like Mickey, Donald and Goofy are separate from their cartoon counterparts, limiting the representation to just them and KH originals doesn't seem like it would go over too well, omitting a huge chunk of what makes KH special to a lot of people.

Not to mention the way Disney handled the Marvel selection in Infinite doesn't exactly inspire confidence, regardless of the state of Nintendo/Disney relations...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The real issue with Sora is that the majority of the Kingdom Hearts cast are non-gaming characters. Nobody's seriously rallying James Bond or Oddjob despite the success of Goldeneye. And even if you try to argue the incarnations of characters like Mickey, Donald and Goofy are separate from their cartoon counterparts, limiting the representation to just them and KH originals doesn't seem like it would go over too well, omitting a huge chunk of what makes KH special to a lot of people.

Not to mention the way Disney handled the Marvel selection in Infinite doesn't exactly inspire confidence...
Yeah, if anything it's better to focus attention on other SE characters in the meantime. Lord knows people like Neku, Geno and other FF characters could get in with less issues.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

Not to mention the way Disney handled the Marvel selection in Infinite doesn't exactly inspire confidence, regardless of the state of Nintendo/Disney relations...
That's really my point.

If Sora were owned by Square, I could see them including him, but tweaking his desing to remove all the Disney trademark stuff (like the Mickey head on the Keybalde) But with him being fully owned by Disney, there is no way they would want to remove those elements, as such him being in would also be introducing non video game elements (even if it were just designs of characters) and that's something I don;t think would fit well at all in Smash.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I bought Half-Genie Hero and Pirates Curse recently because 1. they were on sale and 2. I was always interested in the series (I even used Shantae the most in Runbow). The games have a... cheeky sense of humor, the art style is cutesy, and most importantly the platforming is very solid. Needless to say, I'm a fan. I'm glad she's got representation in Smash in some capacity (two spirits is a pretty big deal, IMO). It'd be great if she was playable in Smash one day; I totally support!

Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
I bought Half-Genie Hero and Pirates Curse recently because 1. they were on sale and 2. I was always interested in the series (I even used Shantae the most in Runbow). The games have a... cheeky sense of humor, the art style is cutesy, and most importantly the platforming is very solid. Needless to say, I'm a fan. I'm glad she's got representation in Smash in some capacity (two spirits is a pretty big deal, IMO). It'd be great if she was playable in Smash one day; I totally support!
Likes Gravity Rush and now Shantae

This person has good taste.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Maybe.

Though part of me is still convinced they'll at least keep the number so that people can keep track of things.
Or they might change it. Based on the titles so far.
Shantae GBC
Shantae: Risky's Revenge DSI
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse 3DS (went multi console years later)
Shantae Half Genie Hero Wii U (eventually collection of all DLC into one) PS4, XBOX One, Switch, PC
Shantae 5 (not official yet) PS4, XBOX One, PC, Switch

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Ok, since I'm no longer welcome here, I won't bother you anymore.
But I did want to say something positive here, before I disappear.

The reveal of Banjo-Kazooie marks the true death of the "Japan Only" argument, against certain character wishes.
It should've been dead with Diddy Kong the earliest and then definitely with King K. Rool and Dark Samus.
But people would always weasel their way out with "The series they're from is still japanese".

With Banjo-Kazooie now in the roster, that excuse is no longer viable.
And overall, with Ridley, King K. Rool, Dark Samus and now Banjo-Kazooie too, Ultimate marks the beginning of "Western Appreciation" in the Smash Bros series.
It may have been true that Smash didn't give much of a damn about anything Non-Japan before.
But it's clear that Ultimate did away with that and Smash now truly aims to make both japanese and western audiences happy, from this point forward.

Banjo-Kazooie opened a lot of doors.
And because of this, I believe Shantae has a damn good shot at getting into Smash now.
Even if she doesn't make it into Ultimate, I think a "Long Term Victory" is very possible..

And I'm looking forward to the new faces Smash will bring into the series.
Both as Ultimate DLC and in future Smash games.

As for the DLC-Period now...
With Sakurai taking a vacation soon, this Fighter's Pass might be the only DLC we'll get for Ultimate.

Again, stay neutral. Whatever happens, happens.
If Shantae will be in Ultimate... AWESOME!
But if not, that's a bummer.
But it's not the end of the world. It's still a great game.
A game that included a lot of characters that people wished for, no less.

Even if we won't get our wish in Ultimate, we might get our wish granted in a future Smash game at last.
After all, Patience is a virtue. ;)

That's all I wanted to say.
Sorry to waste your time.

I'll disappear now...

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ok, since I'm no longer welcome here, I won't bother you anymore.
But I did want to say something positive here, before I disappear.

The reveal of Banjo-Kazooie marks the true death of the "Japan Only" argument, against certain character wishes.
It should've been dead with Diddy Kong the earliest and then definitely with King K. Rool and Dark Samus.
But people would always weasel their way out with "The series they're from is still japanese".

With Banjo-Kazooie now in the roster, that excuse is no longer viable.
And overall, with Ridley, King K. Rool, Dark Samus and now Banjo-Kazooie too, Ultimate marks the beginning of "Western Appreciation" in the Smash Bros series.
It may have been true that Smash didn't give much of a damn about anything Non-Japan before.
But it's clear that Ultimate did away with that and Smash now truly aims to make both japanese and western audiences happy, from this point forward.

Banjo-Kazooie opened a lot of doors.
And because of this, I believe Shantae has a damn good shot at getting into Smash now.
Even if she doesn't make it into Ultimate, I think a "Long Term Victory" is very possible..

And I'm looking forward to the new faces Smash will bring into the series.
Both as Ultimate DLC and in future Smash games.

As for the DLC-Period now...
With Sakurai taking a vacation soon, this Fighter's Pass might be the only DLC we'll get for Ultimate.

Again, stay neutral. Whatever happens, happens.
If Shantae will be in Ultimate... AWESOME!
But if not, that's a bummer.
But it's not the end of the world. It's still a great game.
A game that included a lot of characters that people wished for, no less.

Even if we won't get our wish in Ultimate, we might get our wish granted in a future Smash game at last.
After all, Patience is a virtue. ;)

That's all I wanted to say.
Sorry to waste your time.

I'll disappear now...
Did i miss something? Why wouldnt you be welcome?

I agree though about banjo opening the doors to so many characters. Its nice that western companies are going to get more love in this celebration of all things gaming.

This does help shantaes chance a lot, as well as characters like Crash, Rayman, Hornet, doomslayer, and many more.

One could argue that shovel knight actually started opening this door, as him as an assist trophy qas the first western charcter represented in the game in same way(not counting spirits or trophies).

As for if there will be another pass, i think its likely. Maybe not right away, but likely for at least 1-2 more. Maybe even a echo fights pack that just has 5 echo fighters in it. It would be likely i think. I know there were only spots for i think a total of 15 dlc but i think it could do a bit more...

Dukefire

Smash Master
Thinking about on marketing wise, why stop with one when people are still wanting more. Also, smash ultimate is one of Nintendo's biggest gaming profit with DLC slowly being released.

So, it is possible that the Fighter's Pass won't stop with just one. Though, we might have to find out at the end of the year or near the end.

zferolie

Smash Hero
It really depends on if Sakurai really wants to do another Fighters Pass. Nintendo can beg Sakurai all they want, but it really comes down on how he wants it to go.
Exactly. I mean i am sure nintendo could do it without him but i doubt they would. From a business side more dlc makes sense, but nintendo is odd sometimes. I think they will give more dlc, but we dont know if it will be right away or later. Sakurao does need a break but he does keep doing this to himself, others arent making him work so hard.

That user unfortunately proved to lack thick skin in regards to criticism about Shantae's chances.
I see...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Thinking about on marketing wise, why stop with one when people are still wanting more. Also, smash ultimate is one of Nintendo's biggest gaming profit with DLC slowly being released.

So, it is possible that the Fighter's Pass won't stop with just one. Though, we might have to find out at the end of the year or near the end.
Yeah. My hunch is that we won't find out until February. Won't that be fun...

A bombshell at the VGAs would be nice.

It really depends on if Sakurai really wants to do another Fighters Pass. Nintendo can beg Sakurai all they want, but it really comes down on how he wants it to go.
I think he wouldn't mind too much, since it's less work load than an entire base game, and it would give him a chance to make more people be happy, at least until both he and Nintendo think Ultimate has enough for its life cycle. Also, part of me wonders if they'll bring up other series he's fond of to persuade him.

That user unfortunately proved to lack thick skin in regards to criticism about Shantae's chances.
It doesn't help that she was giving her opinion and a lot of people jumped her.
And just couldn't seem to understand the going-ons in the board all that well.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Imagine if we got a reveal for the 4th when Erdrick officially drops.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Incidentally, August is when the big indie Direct usually happens, and Erdrick/Luminary/Solo/Eight's arriving sometime in Summer.

It's actually a fun possibility to think about.
Though, usually the Indie Directs doesn't have a smash announcment because of how big the shadow it will cast if one should appear. The other indies could be left in the dust or even forgotten.

Of course, The Hero from Dragon Quest XI is coming somewhere this summer. So be ready once he Draws Near.
Screenshot_20190615-204212_Video Player.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Though, usually the Indie Directs doesn't have a smash announcment because of how big the shadow it will cast if one should appear. The other indies could be left in the dust or even forgotten.

Of course, The Hero from Dragon Quest XI is coming somewhere this summer. So be ready once he Draws Near.
Maybe. Though we still don't know what the deal with the stray Kirby footage on Twitch was.

Also, arguably, Hero and BK's announcement kind of overshadowed everyone in the E3 Direct short of Zelda. Heck, DQ by itself has been overshadowing things overall lately. :p

In any case, you never know what could happen. But one thing for sure is, the Nindies showcase should at least be as good as the Nindies we got a few months ago.

That being said, on an indie note, My Friend Pedro is launching today.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Honestly, I'd say it's more just simply because Smash isn't an indie game. Don't matter what character gets revealed.

Dukefire

Smash Master
That's why I'm not getting myself hyped for a smash reveal when the indie direct shows up. Though on the more important question, does Shantae belong to a Indie Direct or a Nintendo Direct if her game has a solid place with a release date.

zferolie

Smash Hero
yeah best to not expect anything at a nindie direct, other then great indie games. If we get s urprise indie character for smash there, then awesome, but don't expect it

Top Bottom