• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
On one hand, I'm not sure if they'd do themes for passes, otherwise it would have been clear enough, depending on the last two characters of the current one.

On the other, having Shantae, Quote and Sans (or Frisk, if not him) in the same game would be sweet. :idea:
Themed [Fighters Passes] sound good and all, but I would probably add Gunvolt and Blaster Master ZERO’s Jason Frudnick to that indie pass (or even replace the Undertale characters based on how... “played out” the game, or Sans at least, by the internet at this point).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Themed [Fighters Passes] sound good and all, but I would probably add Gunvolt and Blaster Master ZERO’s Jason Frudnick to that indie pass (or even replace the Undertale characters based on how... “played out” the game, or Sans at least, by the internet at this point).
Oh yeah, forgot about Jason. He would also double as the ideal guy to represent the late Sunsoft's history.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Problem is, Shantae doesn't show up much in those, iirc. Although Dead Cells won Best Action Game last year, so there is that...

On one hand, I'm not sure if they'd do themes for passes, otherwise it would have been clear enough, depending on the last two characters of the current one.

On the other, having Shantae, Quote and Sans (or Frisk, if not him) in the same game would be sweet. :idea:
Quote would need a Curly Brace alt or I RIOT

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Alright, shoot. I’m all ears.
Well here’s the roster I put together so far:
Awesomenauts: Voltar the Omniscient
Axiom Verge: Trace
Azure Striker Gunvolt: Gunvolt, Copen
Battle Princess Madelyn:
Madelyn
Bit.Trip: CommanderVideo
Blaster Master Zero: Jason Frudnick/SOPHIA III
Bloodstained: Miriam
Cave Story: Quote, Curly Brace
Castle Crashers: Necromancer
Code of Princess: Solange, Ali
Dead Cells: The Prisoner
Dust: An Elysian Tail: Dust
Freedom Planet: Lilac, Carol, Milla, Neera Li,
Guacamelee!: Juan, Tostada
A Hat in Time: Hat Kid
Hollow Knight: Hollow Knight, Hornet
Hyper Light Drifter: Drifter
Iconoclasts: Robin
Indivisible: Ajna
The Messenger: The Messenger
Mighty Switch Force: Patricia Wagon
Mutant Mudds: Max
Noitu Love: Devolution: Xoda Rap, Rilo Doppelori
Rivals of Aether: Orcane, Zetterburn, Wrastor, Kragg
Runbow: Satura
Shantae: Shantae, Risky Boots, Rottytops, Sky, Bolo
Shovel Knight: Shovel Knight, Plague Knight, Specter Knight, King Knight,
Skullgirls: Filia, Cerebella, Peacock, Squigly
Steamworld Dig: Rusty
Undertale: Frisk, Sans

Undecided:
Madeline (Celeste), Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer), Kawase (Umihara Kawase), Braid,

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well here’s the roster I put together so far:
Awesomenauts: Voltar the Omniscient
Axiom Verge: Trace
Azure Striker Gunvolt: Gunvolt, Copen
Bit.Trip
: CommanderVideo
Bloodstained: Miriam
Cave Story: Quote, Curly Brace
Castle Crashers: Necromancer
Dead Cells: The Prisoner
Dust: An Elysian Tail: Dust
Freedom Planet: Lilac, Carol, Milla, Neera Li,
Guacamelee!: Juan, Tostada
A Hat in Time: Hat Kid
Hollow Knight: Hollow Knight
Hyper Light Drifter: Drifter
Iconoclasts: Robin
Indivisible: Ajna
The Messenger: The Messenger
Mighty Switch Force: Patricia Wagon
Mutant Mudds: Max
Noitu Love: Devolution: Xoda Rap, Rilo Doppelori
Rivals of Aether: Orcane, Zetterburn, Wrastor, Kragg
Shantae: Shantae, Risky Boots, Rottytops, Sky, Bolo
Shovel Knight: Shovel Knight, Plague Knight, Specter Knight, King Knight,
Skullgirls: Filia, Cerebella, Peacock, Squigly
Steamworld Dig: Rusty
Undertale: Frisk, Sans

Undecided:
Madeline (Celeste), Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer), Braid,
I would add Madelyn from Battle Princess Madelyn.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I do have a gut feeling that the final two? might be for other companies rather then indie I say.

Though, I will take it back if it does happen. Still, I think WF has other stuff to do before Sakurai and Nintendo might consider the next big step for indies.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, hope to see some information for Shantae 5 coming on July 4 at Anime Expo.
D2io5uLX0AA-zF9.jpg

zferolie

Smash Hero
-Shantae
-Mona (WarioWare)
-Cynthia (Pokémon)
-KOS-MOS
-Lara Croft
Ok, I would kill for a Cynthia character, but she would fight alongside her pokemon. Made a full moveset for her and everything on the Cynthia thread,

Of those though, while Mona is cool, I would love Ashley more, so we could have a very interesting pure mage character.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Ok, I would kill for a Cynthia character, but she would fight alongside her pokemon. Made a full moveset for her and everything on the Cynthia thread,

Of those though, while Mona is cool, I would love Ashley more, so we could have a very interesting pure mage character.
I still think a moveset like that would be more suited for N and Cynthia would go the Pokemon Change route but it’s still interesting to speculate and discuss.

If she wasn’t an assist already I’d be fully on board with Ashley.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'll be off until July 1st to get my mind off towards the Final Two? spots on Fighters Pass DLC.

Time to start Default on the side and then Brave later.

Also, here is a shantae artwork for tonight.
Artist: haerdochan
D9ixNlgW4AEMGpd.jpeg

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Someone mentioned a theory about "themed" season passes (with an Echo pass thrown in). Assuming this isn't a third-party only themed pass, I can imagine Shantae on an Indie-themed pass or (preferably) a "Super Bash Smash Sisters" themed pass.
Shantae
Dixie Kong
Krystal
Jill Valentine
Urbosa, Midna, Mipha, Impa. there is a lot of women from the LoZ series to choose from

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I love your list. Not big on Jill or RE as a whole, but I acknowledged that she has earned a spot.

Of the listed Zelda characters, I would go with Mipha most. A trident would be a unique weapon that isn't used in Ultimate (closest being Palutena's staff) And we currently only have three Fighters based on the water element (Squirtle, Greninja, Corrin) and outside of that we have a few characters with one water move (Isabelle's Bucket, Mario's FLUD, Pacman's Fire Hydrant) Where as you can't even count the number of characters with fire based moves on both hands.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Of the listed Zelda characters, I would go with Mipha most. A trident would be a unique weapon that isn't used in Ultimate (closest being Palutena's staff)
I mean the water element would be cool and all, but honestly I don’t think she should be the first Zelda character with a trident to be added...

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I mean the water element would be cool and all, but honestly I don’t think she should be the first Zelda character with a trident to be added...
Ultimate has already opted for the Ocarina version of Ganon, Leaving the trident wide open for someone else to select. Besides, historically tridents are associated with water, so thematically it fits better for her.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Ultimate has already opted for the Ocarina version of Ganon, Leaving the trident wide open for someone else to select. Besides, historically tridents are associated with water, so thematically it fits better for her.
I mean it’s not like multiple versions of one character can’t exist with Smash :ultmario::ultdoc::ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:, this Ganon at least has a ton of potential and has existed in more games than Ganondorf and the trident has been associated with Ganon on multiple occasions.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I mean it’s not like multiple versions of one character can’t exist with Smash :ultmario::ultdoc::ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:, this Ganon at least has a ton of potential and has existed in more games than Ganondorf.
That's certainly true, but Ganon still feels more like a boss character than a fighter and personally I would rather have some Zelda representation that isn't part of the Triforce trio..

The best options would be Midna (fan favorite and main character in her game) and SkullKid (Boss character but small and one of the few Zelda characters to appear in several games OoT, MM, TP) However with them both being trapped as assists, Mipha for me is the next best option.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
That's certainly true, but Ganon still feels more like a boss character than a fighter and personally I would rather have some Zelda representation that isn't part of the Triforce trio..

The best options would be Midna (fan favorite and main character in her game) and SkullKid (Boss character but small and one of the few Zelda characters to appear in several games OoT, MM, TP) However with them both being trapped as assists, Mipha for me is the next best option.
I mean they were able to work with characters that felt more like bosses before :ultridley::ultkrool: .

And I wouldn’t mind a non-Triforce wielder if they weren’t mostly one-offs.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I mean they were able to work with characters that felt more like bosses before :ultridley::ultkrool: .

And I wouldn’t mind a non-Triforce wielder if they weren’t mostly one-offs.
Eh, most all the other franchises have one off characters. Shulk, Dark Pit, Ness, Lucas, Ice Climbers, all of the Fire Emblem characters with except maybe Marth (I know he is referenced in other games, just not sure if he actually shows up in them) Cloud and (depending on how things turn out with Sword and Shield) maybe Incineroar.

Not to mention Zelda already has a one off character with Sheik. And who knows, the champions might come back in BotW 2, they were popular enough to merit it so who knows?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Something to think about, assuming if Shantae got in that we'd also get a remix by Jake Kaufman. Going by the time Grant Kirkhope got contacted for Banjo Kazooie and when they were publically revealed, depending on when she would be revealed we're looking at possibly him being contacted in September at the latest or assuming a Shantae reveal in the fall like say October, it would have been in May.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Something to think about, assuming if Shantae got in that we'd also get a remix by Jake Kaufman. Going by the time Grant Kirkhope got contacted for Banjo Kazooie and when they were publically revealed, depending on when she would be revealed we're looking at possibly him being contacted in September at the latest or assuming a Shantae reveal in the fall like say October, it would have been in May.
That's if they asked him to do the remixes. They didn't ask him to remix the K Rool music so it's possible they had another composer that wanted to take a whack at the Shantae music.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Eh, most all the other franchises have one off characters. Shulk, Dark Pit, Ness, Lucas, Ice Climbers, all of the Fire Emblem characters with except maybe Marth (I know he is referenced in other games, just not sure if he actually shows up in them) Cloud and (depending on how things turn out with Sword and Shield) maybe Incineroar.

Not to mention Zelda already has a one off character with Sheik. And who knows, the champions might come back in BotW 2, they were popular enough to merit it so who knows?
They're not coming back. Not in a major role anyway. The game went out of it's way to introduce descendents far more likely to take up their mantle.

If we're still talking indie candidates for that all-stars game I'd like to reiterate Hornet from Hollow Knight, the protagonist of the game's sequel and major boss in the former.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
They're not coming back. Not in a major role anyway. The game went out of it's way to introduce descendents far more likely to take up their mantle.

If we're still talking indie candidates for that all-stars game I'd like to reiterate Hornet from Hollow Knight, the protagonist of the game's sequel and major boss in the former.
There is some interesting speculation going around that BotW 2 might involve traveling back in time to stop calamity Ganon before he resurfaced, only to find the source was a mummified Ganondorf.

Not saying it will happen, but if they wanted to they could come up with any number of reasons to have the Champions show up again. Especially since all the champions were fan favorites where as the only "descendant" to gain much notoriety was Siedon(quotes because only one was a descendant, one was a sibling and the other two weren't related at all)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's if they asked him to do the remixes. They didn't ask him to remix the K Rool music so it's possible they had another composer that wanted to take a whack at the Shantae music.
I think with third parties, it's a different ballgame than with first party properties owned by Nintendo, since people related to third-party IPs most likely need to be asked permission before deciding whether or not music should just be remixed by composers that aren't the original ones.

And David Wise wasn't even asked for DKC music either, so… Also, are we sure you didn't mix him up with Kirkhope? Kirkhope only did one of the K. Rool themes.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Yeah but...no one liked the descendents other than Sidon and Riju.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The cold specter of death cares little for fan preferences. I feel like the counterparts are more victims of not being fleshed out as much as the heroes, something a sequel is well-suited to rectifying. Comparing them as it is now is a bit unfair.

In other news, it looks like Cadence Of Hyrule is a big hit: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2..._downloaded_game_on_switch_last_week_in_japan
Yup. Takes a lot to outsell Cuphead of all things. I have a feeling that Cadence's supporters will bolster up a fair bit from this.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Yup. Takes a lot to outsell Cuphead of all things. I have a feeling that Cadence's supporters will bolster up a fair bit from this.
I'm glad it's doing well, the price is a bit much for me, but I bought Crypt when it was at a huge discount last week. So I'll play that and wait for this one to go on sale as well, possibly during the holidays (already waiting for then to rebuy the Phoenix Wright trilogy)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The weird thing is that the specialties they gave Cadence over Link and Zelda that I'd been pondering about since the reveal ended up being mastery of Shovelry. Her unique weapon is a ''greatshovel'' and her special attack is the Shovel Strike, striking the earth to make spikes erupt from the ground. Both can attack and dig at the same time. Plus the down thrust being in the game means she can shovel pogo as well as the Knight himself.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
The cold specter of death cares little for fan preferences. I feel like the counterparts are more victims of not being fleshed out as much as the heroes, something a sequel is well-suited to rectifying. Comparing them as it is now is a bit unfair.

In other news, it looks like Cadence Of Hyrule is a big hit: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2..._downloaded_game_on_switch_last_week_in_japan
I don't wanna come off as i'm bashing it, so ill preface this with I love the Necrodancer games,

The fact Cadence of Hyrule is a "Zelda" game is probably most of the reason people bought it.
if this was just another Necrodancer game, it wouldn't of sold nearly as much.

You can honestly take just about any game, throw a Zelda skin on it it would probably sell well.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't wanna come off as i'm bashing it, so ill preface this with I love the Necrodancer games,

The fact Cadence of Hyrule is a "Zelda" game is probably most of the reason people bought it.
if this was just another Necrodancer game, it wouldn't of sold nearly as much.

You can honestly take just about any game, throw a Zelda skin on it it would probably sell well.
It certainly helped of course, but I think there is more to it than just putting on a skin. Much more work goes into this sort of thing than just that, otherwise it wouldn't be a quality crossover game.

Top Bottom