• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Alrighty, good. Once you're done with that, I'd like to discuss some key topics of the game with you in the spoilers, or in PM, whichever suits you best.
Go ahead and shoot in spoilers here. It won't take too long before others finish or at least find the major story beats too.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Crap......Just beated the Water Lily Siren and now looking for the fusion stone.
If you are stuck in story progression, someone in Arena Town always has a hint for that, as indicated by an exclamation mark. Check inside the buildings, too.

Dukefire

Smash Master
If you are stuck in story progression, someone in Arena Town always has a hint for that, as indicated by an exclamation mark. Check inside the buildings, too.
Thanks, need to avoid spoilers while I progress. Also, getting the Newt is making traveling faster with somewhat good luck on grabbing cards.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Go ahead and shoot in spoilers here. It won't take too long before others finish or at least find the major story beats too.
Alrighty, good. Now then.

Yeah, I was fairly certain that Fillin was Rottytops all along. It's like Mr. X in :ultmegaman: 6 all over again.

Still though, it goes to show just how much Rotty progressed in focus since the first game even compared to Shantae's other friends; going from an NPC running a mini-game/a glorified keystone for an important location, to having a secondary role, to being part of the main cast, to becoming playable, and now to having a major (albeit accidental) role in the plot. She's come a long way.

Speaking of the plot...Well, you folks were sort of right about the mayor being up to something sneaky, but I never expected that. Hats off, Risky, that had to be her most boggling plan yet. Those who want her to reform are going to be disappointed though.

I guess the only time Scuttle Town ever gets left alone is when Risky leaves, most of the Barons don't appear to have done anything this time (that we know of). On the flip side, Squid Baron got a side grade and is just an obstacle, it's probably too early to have him become the final boss of anything.

It is funny how this game still keeps its E10+ rating despite the Empress turning 50 FEET TALL.

In regards to the ending, I really have no clue what direction the series is going at this point. We're clearly in it for the long haul.

At the end of the day, this game is more or less a standalone one. Or at least it would be, if it wasn't for that book and the half-genie that owned it.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I'm currently trying to find the
Fusion stone for Zapple so I can get what will most definitely be electric powers.
I'm trying to do a 100% run my first playthrough so it'll be a bit.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I know I pre ordered it twice on Limited Run but I'll be honest I can't wait to play the game. I might try and buy me a regular copy of the game on Amazon or Best Buy or something so I can play it now or sooner.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Hey! Don't talk to KirbyWorshipper like that.
Il talk however I feel when this is the ONLY place I can still reliably discuss Shantae for smash and you impatiebt whiners cant handle spoiling your talks about the brand new game some of us still dont have.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Il talk however I feel when this is the ONLY place I can still reliably discuss Shantae for smash and you impatiebt whiners cant handle spoiling your talks about the brand new game some of us still dont have.
Well I don't have the game either, but I won't stop coming to the thread if you guys start spoiling stuff with out putting it under spoilers.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I would prefer if we didn't notice that silly window again. There are better things to talk about than that, surely.
What? I never cared about or brought up the window except to cast aside "its related to smash" statements

zferolie

Smash Hero
I myself am between the 4th and 5th dungeon. I could go to the 5th now but trying to get some monster cards first

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I know I pre ordered it twice on Limited Run but I'll be honest I can't wait to play the game. I might try and buy me a regular copy of the game on Amazon or Best Buy or something so I can play it now or sooner.
My aunt is preordering the CE for my B-Day. I know it'll likely touchdown on August or something like that, but hey, I can wait. :p
In the meanwhile, my brother's nice enough to allow me to play the game off his Switch. I currently got to the point where I learned the Refresh Dance. That being said, I had already spoilered myself watching the entirety of the Apple Arcade playthrough, the awesomest thing was the FMV cutscene inclusions. Especially the absent Sirens' boss intro.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Alrighty, good. Now then.

Yeah, I was fairly certain that Fillin was Rottytops all along. It's like Mr. X in :ultmegaman: 6 all over again.

Still though, it goes to show just how much Rotty progressed in focus since the first game even compared to Shantae's other friends; going from an NPC running a mini-game/a glorified keystone for an important location, to having a secondary role, to being part of the main cast, to becoming playable, and now to having a major (albeit accidental) role in the plot. She's come a long way.

Speaking of the plot...Well, you folks were sort of right about the mayor being up to something sneaky, but I never expected that. Hats off, Risky, that had to be her most boggling plan yet. Those who want her to reform are going to be disappointed though.

I guess the only time Scuttle Town ever gets left alone is when Risky leaves, most of the Barons don't appear to have done anything this time (that we know of). On the flip side, Squid Baron got a side grade and is just an obstacle, it's probably too early to have him become the final boss of anything.

It is funny how this game still keeps its E10+ rating despite the Empress turning 50 FEET TALL.

In regards to the ending, I really have no clue what direction the series is going at this point. We're clearly in it for the long haul.

At the end of the day, this game is more or less a standalone one. Or at least it would be, if it wasn't for that book and the half-genie that owned it.
- The interesting part abot Rotty's development for me is going from devil-may-care to insecure friend. Scars like that don't heal overnight, after all.

- Boggling and... kind of unnecessary? Sure, I guess it's more convenient to salvage stuff lying around than building it yourself, but surely the latter still beats dealing with an unreliable monster? The whole ship doesn't even seem that far ahead of the stuff Ammo and Techno Baron are already capable of. Reform or not, though, at this rate Risky and Shantae are gonna end up systematically destroying everything that has ever threatened the genies in the past.

- Ironically, Squid Baron proves to be a bigger pain in the rear when he's not fighting you. Actually, it's odd that he's the only returning character with a redesigned sprite.

- They're certainly keeping doors open. The fates of the other Sirens besides the Empress are rather ambiguous. Did they die when Shantae beat them, or did they go down with the ship at the end if they weren't dead before? Or maybe that same crash propelled them to various corners of Sequin Land? Even their motives are vague; they didn't take any of the life force from the half-genies that we're aware of, and only seem to make a token effort of guarding them, if that. Honestly, the only really evil thing we've known them to do is serve the Empress, and maybe consuming their share of life force in the past. But considering what Risky said about how they don't even dare say her name, do they really serve out of genuine loyalty, or just fear?

The speedrun photo just throws things out of whack for me. Pirate Master doesn't get relaxing art of him taking a swig of whisky or somesuch after doing so for Pirate's Curse, and similarly the Empress is nowhere to be seen here. Something tells me they want to leave the possibility of them returning open in the future. Coral Siren, at the very least looks to be an easy draft for Ammo Baron's army.

- Lobster Girl's motivations are also a mystery, not helped by her inability to speak human language. Though I can't help but notice a ressemblance between her and the Empress. Perhaps they were related, and the girl initially went along with the plan in hopes that the Empress would change her ways, only to quickly realize that not to be the case?

- The book in of itself doesn't really open any plot threads. It may finally show what Shantae's mother looks like but still likely holds no clues as to exactly where she or other (half)-genies are. Perhaps it could be a key item in the face of direct genie intervention.

Seven Siren's story was a pretty easygoing one for Shantae all things considered. Not only does she never have any moment of doubt, but she's made a lot of new friends and only suffers brief, minor setbacks in her quest.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
- The interesting part abot Rotty's development for me is going from devil-may-care to insecure friend. Scars like that don't heal overnight, after all.

- Boggling and... kind of unnecessary? Sure, I guess it's more convenient to salvage stuff lying around than building it yourself, but surely the latter still beats dealing with an unreliable monster? The whole ship doesn't even seem that far ahead of the stuff Ammo and Techno Baron are already capable of. Reform or not, though, at this rate Risky and Shantae are gonna end up systematically destroying everything that has ever threatened the genies in the past.

- Ironically, Squid Baron proves to be a bigger pain in the rear when he's not fighting you. Actually, it's odd that he's the only returning character with a redesigned sprite.

- They're certainly keeping doors open. The fates of the other Sirens besides the Empress are rather ambiguous. Did they die when Shantae beat them, or did they go down with the ship at the end if they weren't dead before? Or maybe that same crash propelled them to various corners of Sequin Land? Even their motives are vague; they didn't take any of the life force from the half-genies that we're aware of, and only seem to make a token effort of guarding them, if that. Honestly, the only really evil thing we've known them to do is serve the Empress, and maybe consuming their share of life force in the past. But considering what Risky said about how they don't even dare say her name, do they really serve out of genuine loyalty, or just fear?

The speedrun photo just throws things out of whack for me. Pirate Master doesn't get relaxing art of him taking a swig of whisky or somesuch after doing so for Pirate's Curse, and similarly the Empress is nowhere to be seen here. Something tells me they want to leave the possibility of them returning open in the future. Coral Siren, at the very least looks to be an easy draft for Ammo Baron's army.

- Lobster Girl's motivations are also a mystery, not helped by her inability to speak human language. Though I can't help but notice a ressemblance between her and the Empress. Perhaps they were related, and the girl initially went along with the plan in hopes that the Empress would change her ways, only to quickly realize that not to be the case?

- The book in of itself doesn't really open any plot threads. It may finally show what Shantae's mother looks like but still likely holds no clues as to exactly where she or other (half)-genies are. Perhaps it could be a key item in the face of direct genie intervention.

Seven Siren's story was a pretty easygoing one for Shantae all things considered. Not only does she never have any moment of doubt, but she's made a lot of new friends and only suffers brief, minor setbacks in her quest.
Eh, some villains do tend to have a complexity addiction. At least she had a couple of backup plans (except the event that the airship sinks like the Halberd, of course, Shantae is not slight of hand when fighting). I also think that they're eventually gonna get rid of every threat in the world, so maybe the Jinns might get reused as a concept at some point.

The only Sirens that even mattered are Lobster and Empress, the rest may as well be Mega Man Classic bosses for how little screen time they have. Not even any dialogue. I guess we'll find out in due time, if they aren't just throwaway monsters of the week.

At this point I'm starting to suspect that Squid is the creators' favorite, it would explain why he's the only Baron to come back.

Well, for the book I guess we have no way of knowing until the next game or so. It's the closest they have to a history tome.

Yeah, Shantae didn't even get fired in this. And the one time she does get accused of anything, it's cleared up quickly. Seems like a fairly safe installment, although it is a vacation episode, after all. In time, this game will probably be skipped over by newer fans the more the series grows. At least the crew at WF will get enough feedback and figure out how the next game should play like.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Eh, some villains do tend to have a complexity addiction. At least she had a couple of backup plans (except the event that the airship sinks like the Halberd, of course, Shantae is not slight of hand when fighting). I also think that they're eventually gonna get rid of every threat in the world, so maybe the Jinns might get reused as a concept at some point.

The only Sirens that even mattered are Lobster and Empress, the rest may as well be Mega Man Classic bosses for how little screen time they have. Not even any dialogue. I guess we'll find out in due time, if they aren't just throwaway monsters of the week.

At this point I'm starting to suspect that Squid is the creators' favorite, it would explain why he's the only Baron to come back.

Well, for the book I guess we have no way of knowing until the next game or so. It's the closest they have to a history tome.

Yeah, Shantae didn't even get fired in this. And the one time she does get accused of anything, it's cleared up quickly. Seems like a fairly safe installment, although it is a vacation episode, after all. In time, this game will probably be skipped over by newer fans the more the series grows. At least the crew at WF will get enough feedback and figure out how the next game should play like.
Considering that they added in Armor Baron to serve as the Ammo Baron stand-in via brotherhood, I guess they wanted to visit the topic of an entirely ran Baron Town, through using the more affable Armor instead of the more bombastic Ammo.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Zapple never outright accuses Shantae, it's just momentary suspicion. Which she tends to apply to anything, and to her credit she ends up partially correct in both of her deductions (the city not being real and Shantae being spared not as a random occurence).

Technically some of the Sirens do have dialogue as they speak in their battles. I don't know, maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part to not let these characters go to waste. The alternative being that we've rendered the poor little Lobster Girl the last surviving member of her race in a single day.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Technically some of the Sirens do have dialogue as they speak in their battles. I don't know, maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part to not let these characters go to waste. The alternative being that we've rendered the poor little Lobster Girl the last surviving member of her race in a single day.
The kicker is that we probably won't get another installment until sometime during the next console gen, assuming the Switch gets a successor. Lord knows if there'll be spin-offs in the meantime.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
They gave Shantae squee noises in her conversations. I can't even. *DEAD*

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The kicker is that we probably won't get another installment until sometime during the next console gen, assuming the Switch gets a successor. Lord knows if there'll be spin-offs in the meantime.
A few pages ago, I made a comparison saying Seven Sirens would be comparable to Mario & Luigi's Dream Team. After playing it through, that feeling has only been enhanced. Substitute dream energy for life force and Neo Bowser's Castle for the airship (which the main series antagonist tries to con out the newcomer with a varying degree of success), and the plot is almost a dead ringer between the two.

Even the main game mechanics have some similarities, both involving fusions of a sort. All this only fuels my wish for a grand Mario RPG and Shantae crossover one day...

zferolie

Smash Hero
OK I am feeling stupid. I got the left braclet, but cannot find the right one. I found the lost scientis, but he just says if I need help with his scientific mind to see him, and thats it. I thought the braclet woul,d be in the right mines but i combed that top to bottom and nothing... can someone say at least the general area of the right braclet? am I missing something that was said?[

EDIT: Oh wow I feel stupid... both braclets were to the left mines... i misread what the ghost dog meant....

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A few pages ago, I made a comparison saying Seven Sirens would be comparable to Mario & Luigi's Dream Team. After playing it through, that feeling has only been enhanced. Substitute dream energy for life force and Neo Bowser's Castle for the airship (which the main series antagonist tries to con out the newcomer with a varying degree of success), and the plot is almost a dead ringer between the two.

Even the main game mechanics have some similarities, both involving fusions of a sort. All this only fuels my wish for a grand Mario RPG and Shantae crossover one day...
If the next game is about Shantae and Risky teaming up with alternate versions of themselves, I'll be laughing for days.

Speaking of crossover wishes, I'm still hoping that WF will ask Nintendo for one with Wario Land someday. That'd be perfect.

zferolie

Smash Hero
SOmeone here wanted to know if there were any statues hidden without any tinkerbats by them... I found 1

In The squid Barrons room where you were his toys.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If the next game is about Shantae and Risky teaming up with alternate versions of themselves, I'll be laughing for days.

Speaking of crossover wishes, I'm still hoping that WF will ask Nintendo for one with Wario Land someday. That'd be perfect.
Going back to the Jinn thing, I had the idea of there being a "dark world" where they reside, complete with parallel versions of the main characters.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I beat the third siren but I'm stuck. Need help.

And yes, I went to Armor Town, met the mayor there, delivered the codebook, gave Bolo toast, went to the Seagrave but nothing I'm doing seems to be getting me close to finding a fusion stone for Zapple. I've been running back forth multiple times on this island and the underground that I'm going nuts.

btw can we talk about Shantae giving Bolo a piece of toast she found on the ground that somebody stepped on? I don't think that's healthy....

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

And yes, I went to Armor Town, met the mayor there, delivered the codebook, gave Bolo toast, went to the Seagrave but nothing I'm doing seems to be getting me close to finding a fusion stone for Zapple. I've been running back forth multiple times on this island and the underground that I'm going nuts.
You know where the warp room is for the Sunken Shipyard? Go left from there. I got stuck on the same part.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

btw can we talk about Shantae giving Bolo a piece of toast she found on the ground that somebody stepped on? I don't think that's healthy....
The guy chews on metal, and considering he's never gotten sick his stomach must be iron-clad at this point.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm so jealous some of you guys have already played Seven Sirens and finished it. Hopefully soon I'll get to play it as I'm not waiting months for my two Collector's Editions to come from Limited Run to play it. I'm going to order a regular copy on Amazon.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Just finished it with 100%. didn't do it to fast sadly. Very good game, and I am likeing how they seem to be slowly expanding the world, And Risky Boots personality

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
That final boss was really fun. I was a little disappointed with a few of the bosses since they went down super easy once I figured them out, but that's kinda my fault for having purchased everything by the third boss. The Empress Siren actually was pretty tough though, if only because it took a million hits for both phases.

Top Bottom