• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
My concern is that if I start with the best game in the series, it will all go downhill from there haha.

I've been playing through the Persona series backwards, and I've found myself missing features that were in the later games of the series, which I had played earlier, like save rooms in the middle of dungeons, choosing the skills that a Persona inherits rather than having to wait for RNG to kind of give you what you want (which were in P5 but not P4), or being able to control your party members (which was in P4 and 5 but not P3). I figure the same sort of thing would happen if I played a later Shantae game and jumped back to the older ones.
Maybe to hype you up, you should play the games in this order: Shantae > Risky's Revenge > Half Genie Hero > Pirate's Curse.

I haven't played Seven Sirens so I couldn't tell you when you should play that. Perhaps you could start off with Seven Sirens.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Sounds good, because I tried the GBC Shantae game and I feel like I'm missing something. I realize that I'll likely unlock more abilities later, but Shantae's movement speed is limited to a slow walk at the moment (unless I'm missing a run button, but the Game Boy Colour only had four buttons), her one attack is slow to start and has almost no range, and enemies pop up out of the ground with no warning and take away one-sixth of my health.

Maybe I went the wrong way when I left the village, or maybe there's a run button that I'm missing, but I'll keep trying with the game, and if it continues to be more difficult than I had expected, I might move on to Risky's Revenge.
to run in original Shntae you gotta hold down the b button

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Given how Matt sees it as a personal masterpiece, I doubt that'll happen.

Besides, I can't tell if WF even has the resources to remake anything that doesn't belong to someone else, especially since we get only one new Shantae game at best for each console gen.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Given how Matt sees it as a personal masterpiece, I doubt that'll happen.

Besides, I can't tell if WF even has the resources to remake anything that doesn't belong to someone else, especially since we get only one new Shantae game at best for each console gen.
But doesn't Matt completely owns the rights to the first game and the whole series?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I think he seems like someone that's alright with it.
What was that Matt Bozon Shantae renewal copyright claim back in December of 2015 all about? I ask because that was around the time Ultimate's project plan for the base roster was finalize and I find it to be a strange and funny coincidence there.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What was that Matt Bozon Shantae renewal copyright claim back in December of 2015 all about? I ask because that was around the time Ultimate's project plan for the base roster was finalize and I find it to be a strange and funny coincidence there.
That's the first I hear of it, so I'll let someone who's more educated on the subject to elaborate on it.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Bad news for anyone living in Europe:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Bad news for anyone living in Europe:
Well that sucks. At least you guys don't have to wait much longer.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
The European thing sucks. Probably something on Nintendo's end. At least the reviews are coming out to help make me more hyped.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Waiting for Seven Sirens and challenger 6 release does drain me after not thinking about it for a while.
Screenshot_20200523-124034_YouTube.jpg
Still, we are almost there.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Reviews are starting to drop for Shantae!

I feel like this review kind of misses the point about the game's difficulty in that it is what you make of it. Isn't that the purpose of the Heart Squid system, letting you go for that completion while making boosting yourself with it optional?

Though speaking of completion, it stinks that RNG (cards) is now a factor in it...

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I feel like this review kind of misses the point about the game's difficulty in that it is what you make of it. Isn't that the purpose of the Heart Squid system, letting you go for that completion while making boosting yourself with it optional?

Though speaking of completion, it stinks that RNG (cards) is now a factor in it...
I'll mainly think of it in the same way that a speedrunner does: it'll mostly be fluff with the key exception of a handful of cards. And even then, I would say the game's perfectly playable without it, and that the cards is more of an optional objective.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I'll mainly think of it in the same way that a speedrunner does: it'll mostly be fluff with the key exception of a handful of cards. And even then, I would say the game's perfectly playable without it, and that the cards is more of an optional objective.
See, that's something interesting with the speed runner aspect of it all. The cards are RNG, but they also give you good abilities that you can equip. Imagine having a run that's flawless, but you don't get the card for a run speed boost and ultimately miss the record. It sounds like a nightmare.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
See, that's something interesting with the speed runner aspect of it all. The cards are RNG, but they also give you good abilities that you can equip. Imagine having a run that's flawless, but you don't get the card for a run speed boost and ultimately miss the record. It sounds like a nightmare.
when you put it that way, it definitely sounds like the type of game that would need a player's guide to remotely do well enough for such a purpose.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The spinning turtle transformation looks to be much faster than running anyway. I've seen it reach some staggering speeds that makes me wonder if it has card upgrades of it's own. Would certainly make for a good default dash attack.

etnoika

Smash Cadet
I started with GBC Shantae and it did take a while to get used to, but after the first dungeon or so the game feels more natural. The only thing that never clicked with me was the long transformation times but that's a discussion we've already had a hundred times in this thread.

EDIT: This was meant as a reply to Megadoomer Megadoomer , dunno why it was delayed >.<

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I started with GBC Shantae and it did take a while to get used to, but after the first dungeon or so the game feels more natural. The only thing that never clicked with me was the long transformation times but that's a discussion we've already had a hundred times in this thread.
It's more a product of it's time, which is something I can appreciate. Though I can see why the Fusion Coins and the Select One Dance things work better than anything else. That being said, I do miss the whole rhythm game aspect of it.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I just had an interesting concept idea for a Shantae game as soon as I woke up oddly enough.
So the largest archaeological find in the world is discovered. It's a temple with untold riches inside, but thanks to Risky attacking Scuttle Town, Shantae learns from an archeologist it might have something she could use to find her mother. Of course, because there's untold riches inside, all of the other lovely bad guys show up to pillage the temple as well.

When Shantae shows up at the temple, she discovers it's a trap. Her genie magic is taken away and so are all of her transformations. She explores the temple gaining items and transformations via a metroidvania style gameplay, running into glimpses of people wearing skull masks. It isn't until she defeats the first boss (which you get to choose the boss order), that they reveal themselves. They've lured all of the bosses and Shantae here for one thing only: to resurrect the pirate king and take over the world! (Not sure on the specifics). They, of course, succeed, and Shantae defeats the Pirate King with the help of all her former enemies. The big thing with this game is that instead of being spread between multiple areas like other Shantae games, this game will take place all in one area, save for the Scuttle Town burning town intro at the beginning. More of a traditional metroidvania like Hollow Knight or Metroid if you will.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's more a product of it's time, which is something I can appreciate. Though I can see why the Fusion Coins and the Select One Dance things work better than anything else. That being said, I do miss the whole rhythm game aspect of it.
I wonder if Sakurai would bring the rhythm back, he's fond of doing characters with more complex mechanics.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I wonder if Sakurai would bring the rhythm back, he's fond of doing characters with more complex mechanics.
When has a fighting game character explicitly done something like this without a) being invincible (DK's old bongos) or b) stopping time (Skullgirls's Big Band)? Concentrating on rhythm is near impossible otherwise.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
When has a fighting game character explicitly done something like this without a) being invincible (DK's old bongos) or b) stopping time (Skullgirls's Big Band)? Concentrating on rhythm is near impossible otherwise.

At any rate, we'd probably get SOME element from the first game. Probably the forms themselves, but with SSS' quick-change aspect.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Desperate times call for desperate measures. If you're a speedrunner and you happen to not get the right cards that would bring you to the finish line sooner than it's better to just move Forward no pun intended whether than just camping out in a area killing enemies that might happen to have it. Wasting your time on bad RNG isn't worth ruining the run if things don't go according to plan. I speedrun Goemon's Great Adventure so I have a little bit of speedrunning experience myself.

zferolie

Smash Hero
The game is out today but I don't think we can download it yet. at least not on steam yet.

I did order the physical switch version but want to play it now so double dipping

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
If I recall River City Girls physical copies took a awhile to ship, preorders were open for it till septempter 29th 11:59pm

when did people here get their copies?

Top Bottom