• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Made a quick little thing for a video. The Japanese translates to: "Joins the battle" from what I read.
shantaejoinsthebattle.png
Edit:
>Crash is in D
That insults me on a personal level, he should at least be B. Sometimes I really don't understand how some fans think, when some characters get creative movesets in the right conditions.
What the hell is Travis doing in the: "no personality" category lmao. The person who made that must've not done their research.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
What the hell is Travis doing in the: "no personality" category lmao. The person who made that must've not done their research.
Either that, or they just didn't care.
I mean seriously, it's the Smash Bros fandom.
Most of these lists are just people putting their favourites on a pedestal and talking down on characters they don't know or care about.

Of course people don't do research. They're not interested in a nuanced conversation or realistic predictions.
And they don't care about the characters they ranked lower.
Like I said, people in this fandom tend to have at least a few screws loose, thinking all this infighting on who should or shouldn't be in the game, actually has an influence on who actually makes it.
And dubious lists like this one are pretty much the same.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Lists like this seem to boil down to "my favourites are the most likely, with a few other popular picks thrown in for good measure, and characters that I'm not familiar with are unlikely because I've never played their games".

I'm guessing that Travis is where he is because the person making the list figured "we have sword users, and wrestlers, so a sword-using wrestler would be redundant". Then again, Nightmare's at the top when (at least from what I recall from Soul Calibur - I've played 2, 3, and 4) he mainly (if not entirely) uses a large sword like Ike.

I'm not overly familiar with Shantae (I've played the openings of the original game on the 3DS and the Pirate's Curse on the Wii U, but I haven't sat down and focused on either of them), but based on my limited understanding of the character, it seems like there are plenty of unique attacks or gameplay mechanics to work with, and I don't see how she overlaps with anyone in the current roster.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Either that, or they just didn't care.
I mean seriously, it's the Smash Bros fandom.
Most of these lists are just people putting their favourites on a pedestal and talking down on characters they don't know or care about.

Of course people don't do research. They're not interested in a nuanced conversation or realistic predictions.
And they don't care about the characters they ranked lower.
Like I said, people in this fandom tend to have at least a few screws loose, thinking all this infighting on who should or shouldn't be in the game, actually has an influence on who actually makes it.
And dubious lists like this one are pretty much the same.
This annoys people who lived and breathed through game history in particular, like me. There's very few characters in Smash I haven't heard of in some capacity, in my day you were lucky if you even had the resources to get informed about games, while these young fresh blood clowns are too lazy to use the modern convenience of the Internet for much of anything other than winning post-length comparing contests. Is it any wonder why Sak had to start doing his little history segments on his DLC showcases?

Lists like this seem to boil down to "my favourites are the most likely, with a few other popular picks thrown in for good measure, and characters that I'm not familiar with are unlikely because I've never played their games".

I'm guessing that Travis is where he is because the person making the list figured "we have sword users, and wrestlers, so a sword-using wrestler would be redundant". Then again, Nightmare's at the top when (at least from what I recall from Soul Calibur - I've played 2, 3, and 4) he mainly (if not entirely) uses a large sword like Ike.

I'm not overly familiar with Shantae (I've played the openings of the original game on the 3DS and the Pirate's Curse on the Wii U, but I haven't sat down and focused on either of them), but based on my limited understanding of the character, it seems like there are plenty of unique attacks or gameplay mechanics to work with, and I don't see how she overlaps with anyone in the current roster.
In a general sense, there isn't much in the way of overlap when moveset clones aren't involved, and even then said clones evolve to be a little more different over time. Uniques have the benefit of having at least one move or so that other characters don't, at the very least.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey

I had played all of the Shantae games asides from Risky's Revenge and the upcoming Seven Sirens, and in all fairness, I can see some overlap with some of her mechanics with other characters. Her magic could work similarly to Zelda, her signature transformations can be similar to Pokemon Trainer/Pre-Smash 4 Zelda/Sheik's swapping mechanics, and with Simon, her hair whip is still fairly unique though obviously not the first of its kind (which in itself is redundant since Sheik's string is whip-like in the first place)

As for Nightmare, I think the main gimmick with him is that he has a freakishly large sword and that in SCII, said freakishly large sword was Soul Edge. That would be most likely his most famous since most Nintendo fans are familiar with the Siegfried Avatar of Nightmare over the Armor Possessed Form or the Raphael Possessed Form. He's slow with his attacks, but he's fairly fast (though not like Talim fast) and his attacks have wide range, similarly to Ganondorf's sword attacks.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I had played all of the Shantae games asides from Risky's Revenge and the upcoming Seven Sirens, and in all fairness, I can see some overlap with some of her mechanics with other characters. Her magic could work similarly to Zelda, her signature transformations can be similar to Pokemon Trainer/Pre-Smash 4 Zelda/Sheik's swapping mechanics, and with Simon, her hair whip is still fairly unique though obviously not the first of its kind (which in itself is redundant since Sheik's string is whip-like in the first place)
If anything, I feel like having a little overlap is a good thing. It helps streamline development. But I think if Shantae were to utilize her animal transformations they would be quick and not require a pause, much like how they work in Seven Sirens. Add in pike balls and storm puffs for traps and a couple of kicks and I think you've got a perfectly unique metroidvania style move set. I picture it similar to Mega Man in a way. Shantae's hair whip doesn't stun enemies in her games, so maybe they make it a fast attack to rack up damage but there's no knockback.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Shantae literally would be in a category of her own because of how unique she is. There is no other character in the roster that is either a genie or could transform into multiple animals.

If anything, I feel like having a little overlap is a good thing. It helps streamline development. But I think if Shantae were to utilize her animal transformations they would be quick and not require a pause, much like how they work in Seven Sirens. Add in pike balls and storm puffs for traps and a couple of kicks and I think you've got a perfectly unique metroidvania style move set. I picture it similar to Mega Man in a way. Shantae's hair whip doesn't stun enemies in her games, so maybe they make it a fast attack to rack up damage but there's no knockback.
I'm certain her animal transformations would be some of her Smash Attacks and Specials.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In regards to recent insider rumblings, Zippo recently expressed excitement for the Sony and New Game+ Expo events next month, saying that they'll have "E3-level reveals".

Since we're not dealing with Nintendo reveals, it's unlikely that these events will get unexpectedly delayed, so this should be interesting.

Oh, and only 4 more days until SSS launches (for the second time).

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
In regards to recent insider rumblings, Zippo recently expressed excitement for the Sony and New Game+ Expo events next month, saying that they'll have "E3-level reveals".

Since we're not dealing with Nintendo reveals, it's unlikely that these events will get unexpectedly delayed, so this should be interesting.

Oh, and only 4 more days until SSS launches (for the second time).

That, to me, means we'll be getting a new Sonic game, possibly info on Persona 5 Scramble coming to the west, and a couple other surprises. Unfortunately Wayforward won't have any reveal there, but Nintendo beats to its own drum. Ideally Shantae gets revealed as fighter 7 during the ARMS presentation and then shortly after Wayforward rides that momentum into the New Game+ showcase.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Flinching has nothing to do with the attack used in Shantae. In the first game enemies would flinch from anything and in later ones, with very few exceptions (Tan Line desert bandits, running lobsters), nothing does no matter what you use. A poke that doesn't flinch is a poke that doesn't work.

Shantae literally would be in a category of her own because of how unique she is. There is no other character in the roster that is either a genie or could transform into multiple animals.

I'm certain her animal transformations would be some of her Smash Attacks and Specials.
Ahem. Bayonetta's bats and butterfly wings would like to have a word with you.

If Shantae is going to overlap with anyone in Smash, I'd want it to be a hybrid Shulk-Pokemon Trainer. This would let her get the best of both her human and animal traits by tweaking her moves and occasionally stats with temporary dances, also bringing classic and modern versions of Shantae together.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
No offense, but how often are we going to have this discussion again? oO
Especially since it always ends up in an argument, once a... certain someone comes in and takes it too seriously...

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
No offense, but how often are we going to have this discussion again? oO
Especially since it always ends up in an argument, once a... certain someone comes in and takes it too seriously...

ALL I WANT....is her side smash to be a super powerful hair whip, I want the satisfaction of using Shantae's signature and iconic attack to kill people and it just being solely a jab, can't accomplish that.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
ALL I WANT....is her side smash to be a super powerful hair whip, I want the satisfaction of using Shantae's signature and iconic attack to kill people and it just being solely a jab, can't accomplish that.
While I can still see her transformations working as a state/character change special, like a cross between Monado Arts and Pokemon Switching.
It'd make for an interesting and varied moveset.

But we all know how much this triggers a certain someone.
So let's stop here...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If it feels like I come down hard on some moveset ideas, it's just a matter of personal experience with this game's newcomers. Fans get all excited to try them out and see how faithful or unique they are, then after about a month or so the magic fades, and unless the character happens to be at least somewhat effective competitively, the praise gives way to grousing about their shortcomings and how they're actually poorly designed, no matter the faithfulness.

I've heard everything from how Simon's weaknesses in close combat and recovery are disservices to his character, even though anyone who's played a classic Castlevania would know the pain of being unavoidably knocked into pits by small annoying creatures. Complaints about K. Rool being slow and clumsy when he's never been shown to be particularly graceful or bright (smarter than Kongs is not a high bar), or Ridley's big size and lack of defensive options to get out of trouble, despite never using any sort of defence beyond pure aggression and maybe armor in his games.

But Shantae in particular could have a worse problem than just not being very good; being almost completely overshadowed. If her transformations, say, make her something closer to Pokemon Trainer, but more complicated and nowhere near as effective, well... you know. It won't matter how faithful such a system happens to be in the context of Smash.

Because of all that, when coming up with movesets I try to make sure they are at least functional and effective on a basic level, using the source material as inspiration wherever possible but deviating as need be if it proves detrimental in a Smash context. Just bringing a character over as-is for the sake of accuracy won't cut it in this age.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I honestly don't care where Shantae will end up in the tier list, I'm still going to make her one of my mains because I love the character.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Really, anybody can make a miracle for a smash character regarding tier status. It's an opinion based on the person's thoughts

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Really, anybody can make a miracle for a smash character regarding tier status. It's an opinion based on the person's thoughts
Yeah, but I have seen people support a character for years and after they finally get in they dump the character because they see them as low tier trash. Not me though, I sticked by K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie thick and thin and will stick with Shantae when she finally get's in regardless of her tier list ranking.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah, but I have seen people support a character for years and after they finally get in they dump the character because they see them as low tier trash. Not me though, I sticked by K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie thick and thin and will stick with Shantae when she finally get's in regardless of her tier list ranking.
Honestly, I'm ok with most characters to try (difficulties with range characters like Olimar. Not my fighting style).

Also, been watching for any Smash News with leaks, speculation and hopefully official news since June is around the corner.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
So Shantae fans.

I've played and beaten Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse.

Both were fun but Pirate's Curse was much better imo. I have Half Genie Hero that I'll get to eventually (it was on sale), but I'm going to ask.

Is the first Shantae any good?
The first one is my favorite, even if HGH HD graphics are more appreciated. There are a lot of mechanics they havent brought back from it that I find very satisfying. Not even counting the controversial rhythm dancing mechanic for transformations. Plenty of other mechanics that I would love for them to revisit with new technology. All the dungeons are decent to very good and there's a day-night cycle that actually effects gameplay. And there isnt much story in terms of text, being the first one, but I love how much emotion they pack into the small game it is.

It's old, and there are design choices that dont connect with many people. Mainly because people expect it to play like PC. You wont Hollow Knight parkour like you can in PC. If you rush through your platforming, you're going to have a hard time with the first one. Take your time. But that doesnt mean you wont get better at traversing the land. And the ponytail doesn't have a way to buff it like the sequels.

However, there's plenty of unique aspects only the first game provides that are still pretty cool. (The life system is still stupid though).

Something that occurred to me just recently: Xenoblade 1's definitive edition might dwarf SSS in attention, since it releases the day right after that.
And thank you after a busy weekend for reminding me of a piece of fanart I meant to work on finally.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If we're talking leaks, the entirety of the Xenoblade epilogue DLC apparently got spoiled on /v/, so be wary of that.

Meanwhile, I noticed that Playstation's official account has openly listed SSS in upcoming games:

As for Wayforward? Well...

Dukefire

Smash Master
Honestly, is there anything else WF needs to say about Seven Sirens 3 days before release?

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
WayForward continuing on their streak of doing their thing with character showcases :p

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, Limited Run Games officially unveiled their physical releases for the BM Zero games.

I'm not sure if the timing of the pre-ordering for these is good, though...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I honestly don't care where Shantae will end up in the tier list, I'm still going to make her one of my mains because I love the character.
That's fine and all, and while undesirable traits may sometimes be unavoidable for certain characters, shouldn't we at least try to ensure they are fun enough so that it's not only the die-hard fans that can enjoy themselves?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's fine and all, and while undesirable traits may sometimes be unavoidable for certain characters, shouldn't we at least try to ensure they are fun enough so that it's not only the die-hard fans that can enjoy themselves?
At least the little kids wouldn't care about all that competitive hoopla, they play as someone they think look cool.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Did somebody order Mermaids?

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I got the remaining Shantae games that I didn't have (aside from Seven Sirens) on the Wii U. I have the Game Boy Colour game on my 3DS, so I think I'll play through that once I'm done with Persona 3. (unless there's a better option to start the series with)

While there probably wasn't any rush for me to get them, I figure that we won't get as much advance notice for the shutdown of the Wii U eShop compared to the Wii's Shop Channel, so I thought I should get whatever Wii U games I'm considering while I have the option to.

Plus, unless I'm mistaken, the Shantae games are Metroidvanias, and I'm a big fan of those (though I've had trouble with getting into Hollow Knight for some reason).

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Enjoy by how they play or enjoy if they're viable enough in competitive play? Because like I said, I really don't care about the tier list.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Enjoy by how they play or enjoy if they're viable enough in competitive play? Because like I said, I really don't care about the tier list.
There is overlap. As long as the moveset doesn't lean too much towards something already in the game and avoids easy pitfalls that would come from trying to be completely authentic, then competitive standards don't need to be too high.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It doesn't matter where to start with really. Whatever you feel like playing first is your choice.
Sounds good, because I tried the GBC Shantae game and I feel like I'm missing something. I realize that I'll likely unlock more abilities later, but Shantae's movement speed is limited to a slow walk at the moment (unless I'm missing a run button, but the Game Boy Colour only had four buttons), her one attack is slow to start and has almost no range, and enemies pop up out of the ground with no warning and take away one-sixth of my health.

Maybe I went the wrong way when I left the village, or maybe there's a run button that I'm missing, but I'll keep trying with the game, and if it continues to be more difficult than I had expected, I might move on to Risky's Revenge.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Sounds good, because I tried the GBC Shantae game and I feel like I'm missing something. I realize that I'll likely unlock more abilities later, but Shantae's movement speed is limited to a slow walk at the moment (unless I'm missing a run button, but the Game Boy Colour only had four buttons), her one attack is slow to start and has almost no range, and enemies pop up out of the ground with no warning and take away one-sixth of my health.

Maybe I went the wrong way when I left the village, or maybe there's a run button that I'm missing, but I'll keep trying with the game, and if it continues to be more difficult than I had expected, I might move on to Risky's Revenge.
If you mean the GBC original, there is a run button.
Simply hold down the Attack Button.
The overworld in this game is basicly a circle, if you keep going in one direction, you will eventually come back to where you started.
At the start of the game, when you just left Scuttle Town, it is advised to go right first. ;)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If you mean the GBC original, there is a run button.
Simply hold down the Attack Button.
The overworld in this game is basicly a circle, if you keep going in one direction, you will eventually come back to where you started.
At the start of the game, when you just left Scuttle Town, it is advised to go right first. ;)
Thanks for the tip about the run button. I did go right first (I couldn't remember if I had been told which way to go since I did the first boss fight a week or two ago, but countless platformers have taught me that the goal is usually to the right), so I guess I'll have to get used to where the enemies pop out of the ground.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There is overlap. As long as the moveset doesn't lean too much towards something already in the game and avoids easy pitfalls that would come from trying to be completely authentic, then competitive standards don't need to be too high.
Perhaps. I mean I love Ganondorf as he is one of my mains and one of my favorite Zelda characters in the Zelda franchise but his recovery in Smash sucks. I would hope Shantae doesn't get a ***** recovery regardless I would still make her one of my mains. But I agree, no character should have a ***** recovery.

Megadoomer Megadoomer I would recommend playing Pirate's Curse first. It's the best game in the series and it was the first Shantae I played. I believe you can't get a better Shantae experience than that game unless Seven Sirens is better which I don't know because I haven't played Seven Sirens yet.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Megadoomer Megadoomer I would recommend playing Pirate's Curse first. It's the best game in the series and it was the first Shantae I played. I believe you can't get a better Shantae experience than that game unless Seven Sirens is better which I don't know because I haven't played Seven Sirens yet.
My concern is that if I start with the best game in the series, it will all go downhill from there haha.

I've been playing through the Persona series backwards, and I've found myself missing features that were in the later games of the series, which I had played earlier, like save rooms in the middle of dungeons, choosing the skills that a Persona inherits rather than having to wait for RNG to kind of give you what you want (which were in P5 but not P4), or being able to control your party members (which was in P4 and 5 but not P3). I figure the same sort of thing would happen if I played a later Shantae game and jumped back to the older ones.

Last edited:
Top Bottom