• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Gonna be honest here. If we get a spirit board to promote the new game, it kills any and all chances of Shantae coming as playable. If they had shantae coming, which comes with their own board already, why release an event? Three houses didnt get an event. Resident evil did.

So i am hoping NOT to see a spirit event for seven sirens
If such an event was Seven Sirens-specific, the Shantae mainstays would probably still be free to be added to the board seeing as events with new spirits only include up to 4 max.

We also can't forget the cheeky Tockles rewarding DQXI save data on your Switch while also not being immediately available. The Dragon Quest board in general, despite the XI focus being clear, is still filled mostly with franchise mainstays, something an event would be hard-pressed to cover. Characters like Sky, Bolo and Rottytops are surely important, but can they really be said to represent an entry in particular?

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
To bring it up again, I still find it very odd Ubisoft didn't get Rayman an online player icon for Ultimate yet WF did with Shantae.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To bring it up again, I still find it very odd Ubisoft didn't get Rayman an online player icon for Ultimate yet WF did with Shantae.
And now Ubi is removing any mentions of Smash Bros on their online stuff, as if they aren't interested about getting any of their stuff in Smash.

It's odd to do this now, when the entire player base knows darn well that we only have Mii costumes to their name.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ive foubd that very odd myself. I think shantae and Geno are the only 3rd parties that are just spirits that have this distinction...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ive foubd that very odd myself. I think shantae and Geno are the only 3rd parties that are just spirits that have this distinction...
Even if the ARMS fighter inclusion ultimately doesn't mean anything for other characters' chances, this is definitely still conspicuously odd. I don't know what to make of it, whether it's meaningful or meaningless.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hopefully Ultimate's DLC cycle ends with both Shantae and Geno finally getting in. Either or both would be a hell of a show stopper to end the game on.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hopefully Ultimate's DLC cycle ends with both Shantae and Geno finally getting in. Either or both would be a hell of a show stopper to end the game on.
My Gut and hope tells me both Shantae and Geno are sure things. I mean right now here are the 6 I want/feel have the best chances.

1. Min Min. Won the poll, seems to be the most popular by the developer, and the unique dragon arm mechanic would be good in smash. Plus the Bayonetta glitch can fit her.

2. Geno. Fatman seems confident that Geno is coming then, and I can see it, plus the rumors are still floating around of a Mario RPG remake or release, and that seems to be the time to announce it.

3. Shantae. I know fatman seems to not expect any Indie characters, but I still feel it.

4. Rex and Pyra. ARMS and a Xenoblade 2 rep were both specifically said by sakurai that he wanted to put into the base game but couldn't. I feel this is his time to shine.

5. Crash. The Last of the big rivalries from the 90's not in smash.

6. More up in the air here. I could see another promotional pick, like a Pokemon. I could see another western third party character, like Doomguy or Rayman. or someone completely different. I don't have any others I feel are very likely...

And this is not taking into account the so called Iwata free character or any others we may get that are floating around to fill all those dummy slots. They could be someone Iwata made like a Balloon Fighter, Waluigi for Mario's Birthday, or some free Echos(hopefully a Medusa and Impa.)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
3. Shantae. I know fatman seems to not expect any Indie characters, but I still feel it.
Me too. I trust Fatman's words, but his sources probably don't know everything. I believe Shantae is still in this race strong. I believe we could actually see her at E3 even.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Me too. I trust Fatman's words, but his sources probably don't know everything. I believe Shantae is still in this race strong. I believe we could actually see her at E3 even.
Considering that he still feels that Waluigi's coming...yeah, he's a good man, but I wouldn't take some of his things as gospel. His contacts may know a few crucial things, but that's it.

However, one thing that could get in the way of an E3 reveal is Crash, since we've yet to hear anything about his next game, and there are possible signs that he may get news soon.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Considering that he still feels that Waluigi's coming...yeah, he's a good man, but I wouldn't take some of his things as gospel. His contacts may know a few crucial things, but that's it.

However, one thing that could get in the way of an E3 reveal is Crash, since we've yet to hear anything about his next game, and there are possible signs that he may get news soon.
I feel like if Fatman's predictions come true for FP2 Shantae will be the mystery character out of the 6 if she makes it in even if Fatman was still right about the other characters.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I really feel the E3 reveal is Geno, due to the Mario 35th anniversary. If Crash is in I feel he is Next E3

Waluigi I feel is either a free DLC, or Leakbait. he's not in the FP for sure. I am curious about crash's next game.. there was a rumor that it was a game with both him and Coco playable.

I feel like if Fatman's predictions come true for FP2 Shantae will be the mystery character out of the 6 if she makes it in even if Fatman was still right about the other characters.
Indeed. I feel he is right about some stuff, just doesn't know all the stuff.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I really feel the E3 reveal is Geno, due to the Mario 35th anniversary. If Crash is in I feel he is Next E3

Indeed. I feel he is right about some stuff, just doesn't know all the stuff.
Shantae still could be a VGA or last Smash Direct reveal if not a E3 reveal.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Shantae still could be a VGA or last Smash Direct reveal if not a E3 reveal.
could be yeah. I mostly have her after Geno, but before Rex and Pyra. That could mean VGA or before it.

Now, I remember suggesting a mostly upgrade FP2, like Spirits and AT getting a bunch of upgrades, once on the general thread, and so many people said they hate the idea, as they want brand new characters... and I was like... but they are brand new. They are all new fighters...

D

Deleted member

Crash can still be revealed in a general direct. I get he's a huge character, but not every "Huge 5 Star Iconic Video Game Mascot" HAS to be revealed at E3. Cloud is that way, yet he was revealed in a general presentation in the previous game. If Crash is coming, I say he doesn't have to be at E3. I understand that's what your thoughts are but each time I log back on here the majority of people I see talk about Crash is that he'll have to be at E3 because of his iconic status.

Last edited by a moderator:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
My Gut and hope tells me both Shantae and Geno are sure things. I mean right now here are the 6 I want/feel have the best chances.

1. Min Min. Won the poll, seems to be the most popular by the developer, and the unique dragon arm mechanic would be good in smash. Plus the Bayonetta glitch can fit her.

2. Geno. Fatman seems confident that Geno is coming then, and I can see it, plus the rumors are still floating around of a Mario RPG remake or release, and that seems to be the time to announce it.

4. Rex and Pyra. ARMS and a Xenoblade 2 rep were both specifically said by sakurai that he wanted to put into the base game but couldn't. I feel this is his time to shine.

5. Crash. The Last of the big rivalries from the 90's not in smash.

6. More up in the air here. I could see another promotional pick, like a Pokemon. I could see another western third party character, like Doomguy or Rayman. or someone completely different. I don't have any others I feel are very likely...

And this is not taking into account the so called Iwata free character or any others we may get that are floating around to fill all those dummy slots. They could be someone Iwata made like a Balloon Fighter, Waluigi for Mario's Birthday, or some free Echos(hopefully a Medusa and Impa.)
If I had to guess, that sixth character is not gonna be a Nintendo pick. Having 3 Nintendo characters in the pass seems like too many. I'm personally feeling Travis Touchdown and Crash are the two most likely characters out of any other, but I could be wrong.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If I had to guess, that sixth character is not gonna be a Nintendo pick. Having 3 Nintendo characters in the pass seems like too many. I'm personally feeling Travis Touchdown and Crash are the two most likely characters out of any other, but I could be wrong.
Most likely of the remaining 5 in FP2 in my opinion are Crash and Geno. The other 3 could be anybody else, but I am postive along with alot of others those two are almost pretty much locks at this point if anybody.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Crash can still be revealed in a general direct. I get he's a huge character, but not every "Huge 5 Star Iconic Video Game Mascot" HAS to be revealed at E3. Cloud is that way, yet he was revealed in a general presentation in the previous game. If Crash is coming, I say he doesn't have to be at E3. I understand that's what your thoughts are but each time I log back on here the majority of people I see talk about Crash is that he'll have to be at E3 because of his iconic status.
Very true. Just used to E3 so far giving some big reveals is all but yeah crash can easily be a General direct.

Makes sense. In that case, really just ARMS and Rex and Pyra I feel are the most like FP Nintendo character. We could get some bonus ones though if what Fatman is saying turns out true, where I see more Nintendo ones coming, like Waluigi or someone tied to Iwata

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, I'm playing Trials of Mana right now, and just watched an unexpected belly-dancing treat in the Night Market (no, it's not a cameo).

Just one more month and a bit of rage-street beating to go...

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well, I'm playing Trials of Mana right now, and just watched an unexpected belly-dancing treat in the Night Market (no, it's not a cameo).

Just one more month and a bit of rage-street beating to go...
gonna probably start that tonight. I plan to use all the ladies my first time through, but not sure who to main... what does each girl specialize in?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
gonna probably start that tonight. I plan to use all the ladies my first time through, but not sure who to main... what does each girl specialize in?
Riesz: All-rounder, decent physical fighter that can either specialize in buffs or debuffs depending on her path, and late-game gets powerful magic summons.
Angela: The black mage. Weakest physical stats by far but also the strongest attack magic, in a multitude of elements. Class choices mostly boil down to preferring crowd control, sniping, targeting weaknesses or having all-purpose (but expensive) nukes.
Charlotte: Healer and buffer, mediocre physical stats. Can learn some debuffs too, or double down on healing and elemental imbuing.

You... may have a rough time early on with an all-female party due to not having many spells or physical strength to work with. Not having at least one guy also means your party won't have any real... "chemistry" plot-wise. See, the spirit pairings we have right now in Smash aren't just random, they represent two people that have both perspectives of one of three major conflicts happening in the game, and also another aspect of the light/dark system outside of the classes, one being from a peaceful nation being attacked (light, Riesz and Charlotte are examples), the other being from the aggressor (dark, Angela is one). Even if you view all prologues fully, your party is only going to get half the perspective on each conflict.

Personally, I went with Riesz and Hawkeye as my focus for my first run (incidentally, their spirit battle uses Ever Oasis music, which is really fitting in more ways than one if you know what I mean) with Charlotte to support. Second will be Angela and Duran with Kevin.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Riesz: All-rounder, decent physical fighter that can either specialize in buffs or debuffs depending on her path, and late-game gets powerful magic summons.
Angela: The black mage. Weakest physical stats by far but also the strongest attack magic, in a multitude of elements. Class choices mostly boil down to preferring crowd control, sniping, targeting weaknesses or having all-purpose (but expensive) nukes.
Charlotte: Healer and buffer, mediocre physical stats. Can learn some debuffs too, or double down on healing and elemental imbuing.

You... may have a rough time early on with an all-female party due to not having many spells or physical strength to work with. Not having at least one guy also means your party won't have any real... "chemistry" plot-wise. See, the spirit pairings we have right now in Smash aren't just random, they represent two people that have both perspectives of one of three major conflicts happening in the game, and also another aspect of the light/dark system outside of the classes, one being from a peaceful nation being attacked (light, Riesz and Charlotte are examples), the other being from the aggressor (dark, Angela is one). Even if you view all prologues fully, your party is only going to get half the perspective on each conflict.

Personally, I went with Riesz and Hawkeye as my focus for my first run (incidentally, their spirit battle uses Ever Oasis music, which is really fitting in more ways than one if you know what I mean) with Charlotte to support. Second will be Angela and Duran with Kevin.
Summons you say? I like summons. Like is this like FF summons or GOlden sun style summons?

And yeah, I know I may miss out on some things with no males, not just physical attack but some story stuff, I still want to go all female. I did read how each male and female path are tied to the same story, and changing/mixing them around could leave holes in it, but I still want to do an all female party.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Summons you say? I like summons. Like is this like FF summons or GOlden sun style summons?

And yeah, I know I may miss out on some things with no males, not just physical attack but some story stuff, I still want to go all female. I did read how each male and female path are tied to the same story, and changing/mixing them around could leave holes in it, but I still want to do an all female party.
It's a Square Enix game, what kind of summon do you think they'll be? (Actually, what's really the difference besides different engines?)
They're just big one-time attacks costing a set amount of MP.

Also keep in mind that this all-female party is probably going to end up doing a lot of casting. Which can also mean a ton of pausing as you cycle through your ring menus.

Gameplay isn't much of a factor in who you "main" here since you get all your party members rather quickly, whom you can freely switch between controlling. Their personality and story will probably be the bigger reason you choose to main one.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
It's a Square Enix game, what kind of summon do you think they'll be? (Actually, what's really the difference besides different engines?)
They're just big one-time attacks costing a set amount of MP.

Also keep in mind that this all-female party is probably going to end up doing a lot of casting. Which can also mean a ton of pausing as you cycle through your ring menus.

Gameplay isn't much of a factor in who you "main" here since you get all your party members rather quickly, whom you can freely switch between controlling. Their personality and story will probably be the bigger reason you choose to main one.
Haha true. I love summons, so I'll play her for sure.

As for the main story character though.... not sure. between her and Angela for sure.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I've been avoiding Seven Sirens spoilers for awhile now. But I have heard there is another Baron. Nobody tell me his name, but could anybody give me a hint on what he specializes in? Of course, put your response under [ Spoiler ]insert here[ /spoiler ].

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ok sorry to jump back onto the Mana train, but I need to know... am I locked to a class route when I start, or can I Swap? Because I really don't know if I
ll like a class till I play it, and don't want to find out I missed a class I like if I decide to go light first when I needed to do Dark dark...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ok sorry to jump back onto the Mana train, but I need to know... am I locked to a class route when I start, or can I Swap? Because I really don't know if I
ll like a class till I play it, and don't want to find out I missed a class I like if I decide to go light first when I needed to do Dark dark...
You can always change classes, though you need to visit a mana crystal to do so, which are inside dungeons (though shortcuts exist). The third-tier classes require items to do so though, and all have a level requirement (18 for the first advancement, 36 for the second).

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
You can change your class but not sure if you can change back to go another route.

D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post
I DO though!

be considerate
That was only a minor detail that has basically zero effect on the story and narrative. Want me to be considerate? Here's a proper spoiler for ya.

The game is called Shantae in the Seven Sirens. In it, the sky is blue and the number of sirens in the game is seven.

You're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just wait for another month. The release date will come before you know it's here.
Also, hopefully a small update to know Challenger #6 of the ARMS rep on June.
Screenshot_20200427-182737_YouTube.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Haha true. I love summons, so I'll play her for sure.

As for the main story character though.... not sure. between her and Angela for sure.
Apparently, Riesz is actually really popular in the Of Mana fandom, because at the time of the original's release, a character like her being both a physical fighter and a princess who is not shirking responsibility or being in distress was a rarity.

Just putting that out there since you seem to have a thing for underappreciated/underused character types.

Top Bottom