• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So if Shantae makes it in do you guys think she will be top tier or mid tier? I think it's more likely she will be top tier due to her speed, size, and strong animal transformations. Once she enters Smash's halls she will be declared the queen.
It really depends exactly how the forms are implemented. Full-on transformations may be too clunky for intense matches, and even if they are integrated seamlessly, numbers can let even the best looking characters on paper down. Like Sheik early on in this game.

zferolie

Smash Hero
According to what I've seem from Sherwood on YouTube, new characters are actually planned.
And the video was from a few weeks ago.
When I looked up the game on wikis they said the last characters were added back in 2015 or so. can you link where people are saying more characters?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It really depends exactly how the forms are implemented. Full-on transformations may be too clunky for intense matches, and even if they are integrated seamlessly, numbers can let even the best looking characters on paper down. Like Sheik early on in this game.
I picture Shantae's animal transformations being used as her Specials. It would just be quick run and go moves instead of full on transformations.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

Also, check the comment section. ;)
Ok, so it seems like they are mostly doing balancing and adding some assists. thats pretty cool and all, but just wondering if they plan more fighters? Also I can't see for sure but is the original pixel artist still on board as their twitter says nothing

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I picture Shantae's animal transformations being used as her Specials. It would just be quick run and go moves instead of full on transformations.
That doesn't exactly leave much room for any other of Shantae's tricks, does it? You're not going to include any other spells or tools that would give the human form some much-needed versatility?

I still maintain my hybrid dance/transforming moves method. Dance to trigger a state akin to Monado Arts, modifying certain actions and moves depending on the transformation chosen, eg. Monkey for faster dashing and Monkey Bullet dash attack, Elephant for powered up smashes, Spider for powerful throws and ranged grabs and Harpy for multiple jumps and modified recovery.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I was thinking about how it would be nice to see some big names review Shantae games. Like SomecallmeJohnny's exploration of the series.

Girlfriend Reviews would be great to see. Both funny and informative and leagues better than most "professionals"

One review I would both like to see and dread? All I need say is "Hey hey people".
Then again Shantae is not developed by East-Europeans so it is somewhat unlikely we'll see that review.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
https://zakusi.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F177621083896

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Ok, so it seems like they are mostly doing balancing and adding some assists. thats pretty cool and all, but just wondering if they plan more fighters? Also I can't see for sure but is the original pixel artist still on board as their twitter says nothing
Like I said, check the comment section of the video.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I was thinking about how it would be nice to see some big names review Shantae games. Like SomecallmeJohnny's exploration of the series.

Girlfriend Reviews would be great to see. Both funny and informative and leagues better than most "professionals"

One review I would both like to see and dread? All I need say is "Hey hey people".
Then again Shantae is not developed by East-Europeans so it is somewhat unlikely we'll see that review.

https://zakusi.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F177621083896
And great art of our girl.

Like I said, check the comment section of the video.

I looked, Maybe I am missing it, but its just people saying they like the game.

ThaJakester

Valatunda! Valatunda!
NNID
ThaJakester
No idea on Wolf but I find it a very funny coincidence they went with orange :ultzss:.

I honestly think this is a reference to the Cuff and Boot moves from the GBC game.
I get the cuff and boot move reference, but I feel like you're reaching a little. I wish it were true tho</3
altho, do say, what does orange ZSS have to do with Shantae?

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
I get the cuff and boot move reference, but I feel like you're reaching a little. I wish it were true tho</3
altho, do say, what does orange ZSS have to do with Shantae?
It's her spirit host. Hence my profile pic.

It's also just a reference, he's done plenty of those before with nothing to do with the next fighter. Remember the Chrono Trigger custom stage?

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
And great art of our girl.

I looked, Maybe I am missing it, but its just people saying they like the game.
I dunno why, but it seems the comment I was referring to, is suddenly missing.
There was that one commenter named "Alester" I believe, who thanked Sherwood for the exposure.
That Alester guy is apparently one of the current devs of the game.
And it turned into a conversation with other people.
One of them asked whether or not new characters are planned.
And the guy confirmed that more characters are indeed planned.

And given by the fact that they actually added new content into the game already, I'd say the guy seems right so far.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I dunno why, but it seems the comment I was referring to, is suddenly missing.
There was that one commenter named "Alester" I believe, who thanked Sherwood for the exposure.
That Alester guy is apparently one of the current devs of the game.
And it turned into a conversation with other people.
One of them asked whether or not new characters are planned.
And the guy confirmed that more characters are indeed planned.

And given by the fact that they actually added new content into the game already, I'd say the guy seems right so far.
Ah ok. well if more characters are coming that is cool, and I'll keep an eye out for it :)

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
This is Definite.

Can't wait.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
This is Definite.

Can't wait.
I'm worried about Xenoblade cannibalizing all her sales, but hey it's better than having The Last of Us cannibalizing them on top of Xenoblade like it used to be.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Great to finally have a release date... But it being so soon makes me worry that I will have to wait long after launch for the Limited Run Physical edition... I was really hoping they were going to have something planned out so they could get the game out shortly after the digital release, but this will probably be like River City Girls...

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't think we'll have to worry about Shantae's sales doing poorly. Recall that Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing New Horizons released about the same time, and both games were made with very different audiences

Dukefire

Smash Master
And the fan's crossover artworks as both bring a duality to each other.
Artist Reaper969

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Curious, but didn't we always know that SS's release date on consoles/PC was May 28th ever since March 27th?
Yeah. Maybe because of the pandemic people thought it was going to be delayed or maybe they just missed that announcement, but it's been known for a while.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Yeah. Maybe because of the pandemic people thought it was going to be delayed or maybe they just missed that announcement, but it's been known for a while.
Fair point, though by the time the announcement went out, the game had basically been completed. Whatever additions WF was planning on doing, if any, is certainly going to be delayed if they hadn't set up their remote workstation network.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Fair point, though by the time the announcement went out, the game had basically been completed. Whatever additions WF was planning on doing, if any, is certainly going to be delayed if they hadn't set up their remote workstation network.
I'm pretty sure they said they had no plans for DLC of any kind for Seven Sirens.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
Shantae and the Seven Sirens physical and collector's editions up for pre-order on the 15th.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Nice love the collectors Edition. Probably getting that as well.

1588784573602.png

Staarih

Smash Master
Great, I'm all for physical games so this is a must buy. Someone better alarm me (or this thread) on the 15th again so I don't forget to pre-order haha!

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Shantae and the Seven Sirens physical and collector's editions up for pre-order on the 15th.

Time to make sure my LR account is set to one click purchase

zferolie

Smash Hero
Gotta get that limited edition for sure. However i know the physical game wont be out at the same time as the actual release, so i may have to double dip with a Steam version to to play it on launch day

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Gotta get that limited edition for sure. However i know the physical game wont be out at the same time as the actual release, so i may have to double dip with a Steam version to to play it on launch day
The fact that the preorders are happening before the release tho suggests they are trying to get these out as close to the digital release as possible tho, so that's something. Corona might still slow things down, but hopefully the wait won't be as long as River City Girls was.

zferolie

Smash Hero
The fact that the preorders are happening before the release tho suggests they are trying to get these out as close to the digital release as possible tho, so that's something. Corona might still slow things down, but hopefully the wait won't be as long as River City Girls was.
Yeah the river city one was way too long, but i waited for that. I cant wait to play shantae though

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
I just remembered I'm still waiting on that Totaku figure. That was announced, I wanna say half a year ago? And we got no details since.

I went back to their site today and I can't seem to find the placeholder anymore. What gives?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>Risky with a hula outfit
I never knew I wanted this in my life. Her long hair is still there, too.

Anywho, back to waiting.

I just remembered I'm still waiting on that Totaku figure. That was announced, I wanna say half a year ago? And we got no details since.

I went back to their site today and I can't seem to find the placeholder anymore. What gives?
I know exactly how you feel. I'm still waiting on further developments for Udon's Shantae artbook...

Last edited:

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I've always disliked transformations for specials simply because I think that's too complicated to have Kirby copy. He already has to load in hats and props. Transforming too would be a lot. The only way I could see it happen would be Melee/Brawl Zelda/Sheik / Pkmn Trainor style with the transforming the down special and the neutral, side, and up specials be moves per form. Then Kirby can copy just the simple specials. But otherwise I picture her transformations to be instant interwoven with her moves the same way, but on normal smash attacks etc and free up her specials for something else.

Also we have indie cutie vs indie cutie, and right now the shrine maiden is treating Shantae like a spirit to excorcis. She's getting creamed.

Also, I forgot to mention my own Pop fig came finally a day or two ago. Now im in the Tokatu wait line with the rest of you.
20200504_223851.jpg

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly, I've always disliked transformations for specials simply because I think that's too complicated to have Kirby copy. He already has to load in hats and props. Transforming too would be a lot. The only way I could see it happen would be Melee/Brawl Zelda/Sheik / Pkmn Trainor style with the transforming the down special and the neutral, side, and up specials be moves per form. Then Kirby can copy just the simple specials. But otherwise I picture her transformations to be instant interwoven with her moves the same way, but on normal smash attacks etc and free up her specials for something else.

Also we have indie cutie vs indie cutie, and right now the shrine maiden is treating Shantae like a spirit to excorcis. She's getting creamed.
You're not kinding about Shantae getting creamed in this match up. I'm surprised so many people went for Reimu over Shantae in the comments section since a majority of voters in Slacker's tournaments vote for Shantae even if she is up against someone like Geno, Isaac, or Waluigi. I guess there are a lot of Shantae fans that play the Touhou games. But really guys, go vote and help Shantae win this match up so that she stays as the undisputed queen.

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
You're not kinding about Shantae getting creamed in this match up. I'm surprised so many people went for Reimu over Shantae in the comments section since a majority of voters in Slacker's tournaments vote for Shantae even if she is up against someone like Geno, Isaac, or Waluigi. I guess there are a lot of Shantae fans that play the Touhou games. But really guys, go vote and help Shantae win this match up so that she stays as the undisputed queen.
Shantae won last tournament and the channel immediately threw out another. It's not just Reimu she's up against, but a spite wagon.

This is why VS. Polls are a poor gauge of who's actually more wanted. It's not just the actual fans of the respective characters inserting their vote.

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Shantae won last tournament and the channel immediately threw out another. It's not just Reimu she's up against, but a spite wagon.

This is why VS. Polls are a poor gauge of who's actually more wanted. It's not just the actual fans of the respective characters inserting their vote.
I've stopped participating in that due to the obscene toxicity of the comment section each time Shantae is up. She's won every tournament that included her on that channel so far (never losing once), and the previous one had a truckload of Bots voting for Spyro against her (even when he wasn't in a match he still kept getting stagnant votes).

People are just steamed at this point due to her constant winning streak over an insignificant fan tournament on the Internet. She'll probably finally enter the losers bracket and comeback again.

The half-genie stigma is strong.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Still, Seven Sirens might be the best game in the series to date if it goes well

Top Bottom