• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I may need to steal that... do you have a template so others can do this?

Interesting choices for miis.... but man Geno as a mii fighter, thats cold
Sorry if it seems cold, but I personally think it's a great fit for him lol.
Here's the template:
FighterPassVol2Template.png

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Actually, speaking of dancing mechanics, what if there was a way to switch between Auto-Dancing and Manual Dancing in-game? Like Auto-Dancing works similarly as it does in Half-Genie Hero, in that you can simply hold the dance button, then select an animal to transform into. Whereas when you use Manual Dancing, it works similarly to GBC Shantae's Dancing mechanic. While Auto-Dancing is used for the essential animal dances in-game, Manual Dancing is more used in puzzles and optional dances, either utility-based like healing/destroying or transforming into a secret creature (eg. a Tinkerbat), or the Auto-Dance works more like the Weapon Wheel in numerous games, where favorites are saved into the Weapon Wheel to use on-the-fly?

It could work in a diegetic way, where when a dance is used more often, Shantae can instantly tap into the magic more easily, though you could obviously move your personal favorites into the slots for easier access.
Honestly, that's the basis of how I've thought about the lore to explain the gameplay changes and "new game syndrome". First it was rhythmic dancing with lots of poses. Then just the final pose for each form. Then a single dance for any form. Shantae does (near) instant transformation now because she's been honing her genie magic and getting stronger. She "forgets" her other transformations each game because she's ~~so forgetful~~ trying to improve her magic ability, so she's limiting herself to improve on one dance form a time. When you gain the new dances in RR/HGH, she's gaining the inspiration to make the new technique work.

I might be in the great minority here, but I personally preferred the Transformation dances from the original game. It was basically their version of the ocarina songs from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I just loved that the ocarina was a tool you could use like you would in real life (I even used to look up how to play different songs on it like the Simpson's theme)

I can understand those who say it hurts the pacing of the game or whatever, but for me it made things more immersive. It felt like a ritual you needed to do to pull off something impressive. Like a wizard reciting a magical chant to perform a spell, or a DBZ character charging up before unleashing their attack.

They just made the game feel a bit more real because you actually had to do something to transform. And it made dancing part of Shantae's tool kit rather than the touch of character flavor that it is now.
Minority but not alone. I'll boot up my 3DS just to mess around with the dancing. Whether or not to warp around. God, I miss the ocarina songs add it is. I wish Skyward Sword did anything like that for the harpy so Fi had
a reason to sing all those random songs. I miss the dancing to. (Though I do think it needs the HGH world pausing so you don't get interrupted by enemies constantly)

I do think there should be both styles in some way. Like metroidvania platforming should be fusion style. The main animals and abilities. Like, I can see why the instant ability is important for that. I've played Hollow Knight recently and see how it can be incorporated well. But important plot or puzzle solving could require the old dance. Like needing to speak with a lingering ghost. Or a "detect magic" type of spell. The heal and obliterate etc should require the extra inputs though (and different routines for different strengths)

Four words: Water Temple Water Levels. If the magic of using the ocarina hasn't thoroughly extinguished for you by the time you finish that dungeon, you have the patience of a saint. And though the ocarina remains an important tool in the following game, it's use is nonetheless cut down quite a bit. Then the Wind Waker had to go and make it essential for the simple act of steering.

It is very much possible to have too much of a good thing.
The Water Temple requires you to do a full rotation twice to beat it. Changing the levels five times minimum. But that's all you have to do. Any extra rotations is you missing stuff on your own. It's really easy to get lost, but also easy to finish if you go everywhere you can while the water is at any particular level. Saint level patience helps significantly though.

Wind Waker shouldn't even be an argument because of where you can warp. Wind direction is only required in the very beginning. Afterwards you have access to free roam. Soon after you can get warping. Unless you need the very specific far bottom row and far eastern column of quadrants, you can reach everywhere fairly quickly you ever need by setting the wind to NW and never touch it again. And the command melody and prayer hymns worked well, certainly something Shantae could make use of, even a little.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The Water Temple requires you to do a full rotation twice to beat it. Changing the levels five times minimum. But that's all you have to do. Any extra rotations is you missing stuff on your own. It's really easy to get lost, but also easy to finish if you go everywhere you can while the water is at any particular level. Saint level patience helps significantly though.

Wind Waker shouldn't even be an argument because of where you can warp. Wind direction is only required in the very beginning. Afterwards you have access to free roam. Soon after you can get warping. Unless you need the very specific far bottom row and far eastern column of quadrants, you can reach everywhere fairly quickly you ever need by setting the wind to NW and never touch it again. And the command melody and prayer hymns worked well, certainly something Shantae could make use of, even a little.
Remind me not to play a game designed by you, if I have to consult a guide in advance to minimize frustration with the mechanics you put in it. Nobody should make a game under the assumption that everyone will know the most optimal way of playing it from the beginning.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Four words: Water Temple Water Levels. If the magic of using the ocarina hasn't thoroughly extinguished for you by the time you finish that dungeon, you have the patience of a saint. And though the ocarina remains an important tool in the following game, it's use is nonetheless cut down quite a bit. Then the Wind Waker had to go and make it essential for the simple act of steering.

It is very much possible to have too much of a good thing.
I actually loved reusing the Ocarina a lot like that, so...

The Water Temple was my second favorite after the Shadow Temple for the adult ones. I actually found it a lot better than Swamp Palace as is, and ten times better than Great Bay Temple, which was very difficult to use Zora Link.

Oddly enough I found the Master Quest version more annoying, but the puzzles in it were actually worse than a near literal case of "rinse and repeat" because of how many Time Blocks you dealt with, along with massive magic consumption and needing to be in the perfect spot. Don't get me wrong, I beat both versions 100%, but MQ was naturally harder. Except Jabu Jabu's Belly. Anyway, worth noting that the GCN controller was hard to use.

Also, long time no see everyone. I'm sure some might notice something different about me. Maybe you saw an old name of mine, like Legendary Spirit Tamer.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
My point is, there's only so much you can do with music mechanics like these before they get overly intrusive and clash with the gameplay. Eventually, they got phased out of Zelda too.

If Wayforward had decided to double down on the dancing, we probably wouldn't be playing platformers and metroidvanias today.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
My point is, there's only so much you can do with music mechanics like these before they get overly intrusive and clash with the gameplay. Eventually, they got phased out of Zelda too.

If Wayforward had decided to double down on the dancing, we probably wouldn't be playing platformers and metroidvanias today.
An alternate timeline where Shantae is a DDR-based game
I don't believe I see a problem in this?

Dukefire

Smash Master
While we do know that the fighters for Season 2 Fighters Pass has already been chosen, here is a artwork to have some hope in the dark
Artist: mana chan
EO3ZBbpWAAAlj_4.jpeg

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Remind me not to play a game designed by you, if I have to consult a guide in advance to minimize frustration with the mechanics you put in it. Nobody should make a game under the assumption that everyone will know the most optimal way of playing it from the beginning.
But these 'optimizations' are not something needed to know from the beginning. They're not even available at the beginning, but halfway through the game. It's just taking the time to think about what you're trying to do.

I figured out the WW trick when I was 10 because I noticed I kept needing to go essentially NW after warping. And you find warping easily because the cyclone is just south of Windfall, designed to be easily found. It just requires the bow before you can unlock it. It was on return play throughs that I learned you have to take his photo first before you shoot him etc.

The Water Temple, yes I know most people will take more than the required 5 changes, I certainly did. (I even got stuck on the Fire and Shadow Temples for several hours). That doesn't mean the mechanic of using the ocarina was the issue. The dungeon being extremely easy to get lost in, and punishing brute force explorers are the hang ups. And most people complain about using the menu to change the iron boots than the water system itself. But the remake has the water levels labeled and the iron boots wearable from a button press. And it changed the camera angle at the middle level since everyone kept missing the key in the central tower. But those changes don't remove the water changing mechanic and all its puzzles, just makes it easier to accomplish. (Actually, you dont even have to memorize the songs in the 3DS remakes, since you can have the song notes open on the other screen when you go to play them.) It's just a dungeon that's better if you take your time and plan ahead, instead of rushing, first or 10th time.

Even Zero wants to see Shantae playable (6:30 in the video).

I really appreciate all the points he makes about her. Though I do like the irony of mentioning a "small" character having such a "big audience".

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Alex.EXE also mentioned Shantae in his Fighters Pass Volume 2 video.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, depending on how much you believe dev interviews, Doom Guy may be out of the running. This could be another Grant Kirkhope situation, but this guy did a lot more denying than Grant did.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
So the arbitrary power struggle in the fanbase continues.

Among Smash Tubers, it has also become a trend to mock and shame those who disagree with Byleth.
Apparently you're obligated to agree and be happy with everything, unconditionally. <_<

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Even Zero wants to see Shantae playable (6:30 in the video).

I usually see him either pronounce her name as "sh" "Anne" "tea" or ignore her entirely whenever talking about polls that she's on, etc. I wonder what changed.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, depending on how much you believe dev interviews, Doom Guy may be out of the running. This could be another Grant Kirkhope situation, but this guy did a lot more denying than Grant did.

If there's "more denying", it seems more due the interviewer being more insistent with the questions. The interviewee's answers aren't very definitive and we all know they can't say there was an agreement on this even if it was true.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I usually see him either pronounce her name as "sh" "Anne" "tea" or ignore her entirely whenever talking about polls that she's on, etc. I wonder what changed.
If I were to wager donuts, I think it's that he's now realizing the crowd behind her, which is indeed getting larger, and that we won't go away just because some people insult us or some prominent YouTuber downplays her.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
If I were to wager donuts, I think it's that he's now realizing the crowd behind her, which is indeed getting larger, and that we won't go away just because some people insult us or some prominent YouTuber downplays her.
Probably helps that other big indie picks are slowly getting deconfirmed with Mii Costumes. It might seem a bit cut throat to say, but every indie character that becomes a mii costume increases her chances and I think more people are understanding that.

Dukefire

Smash Master
So far, indie that are the hot topic on recent times has been mii costumes. Sans and Cuphead are popular with one game recent times.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Wind Waker shouldn't even be an argument because of where you can warp. Wind direction is only required in the very beginning. Afterwards you have access to free roam. Soon after you can get warping. Unless you need the very specific far bottom row and far eastern column of quadrants, you can reach everywhere fairly quickly you ever need by setting the wind to NW and never touch it again.
Don't forget, Wind Waker HD (the definitive version of the game, imo) gave us the sail upgrade that can sail at full speed regardless of the wind's direction. Not that having to change directions ever bothered me all in the first place.

People really exaggerate the overuse of the ocarina in the Water Temple. The only problem in that place is that you have to pause to put on and take off the iron boots, and the 3DS remake fixed it.

Now, the Great Bay Temple... there's a singularly awful water dungeon!

Among Smash Tubers, it has also become a trend to mock and shame those who disagree with Byleth.
Apparently you're obligated to agree and be happy with everything, unconditionally. <_<
I was just talking about this on another forum. Some people are extremely delicate when it comes to "negativity." To them, anyone not liking anything in the game for any reason is an example of "toxicity."

At least in the Nintendo fandom you're expected to actually like things. Try dipping your toes in the Star Wars fandom sometime. If you don't hate everything except New Hope and Empire, you're a pariah.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
My only gripe personally with Fire Emblem is it's always the main protagonist being picked as most are about expressionless and feel like only avatars compared to the more expressive characters you meet that would've arguably been more fun. Edelgard, Dimitri, heck it would've been interesting to see what Sakurai's imagination could've whipped up if he made Sothis the fighter even. I look at Byleth and all I see are just the weapons. Not much expression there other than stabby stabs.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
My only gripe personally with Fire Emblem is it's always the main protagonist being picked as most are about expressionless and feel like only avatars compared to the more expressive characters you meet that would've arguably been more fun. Edelgard, Dimitri, heck it would've been interesting to see what Sakurai's imagination could've whipped up if he made Sothis the fighter even. I look at Byleth and all I see are just the weapons. Not much expression there other than stabby stabs.
I'm in the same boat. Personally I would love Tiki as a fighter. Give her some kind of power up mechanic like Joker where after a while she can turn into a dragon for increased damage and range. Sothis would be fine too, but I think Tiki deserves it more.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Byleth has what FE should have been represented by originally, the different weapon classes (but sure I guess the characters are important too). It shouldn't have been just each game's protagonist. But we're stuck with them to an extent. Really, we need Marth, Ike, Robin, and Byleth. The rest can leave from the next game.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Byleth has what FE should have been represented by originally, the different weapon classes (but sure I guess the characters are important too). It shouldn't have been just each game's protagonist. But we're stuck with them to an extent. Really, we need Marth, Ike, Robin, and Byleth. The rest can leave from the next game.
I don't know why everyone hates on Corrin, they were far more unique than most FE reps at the time. If anything I would say Corrin should be in that list over Ike since he is far closer to Marth than Corrin is

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I get da joke, but I seriously doubt there will be any other FE additions this time unless there's remakes planned (and even then those don't bring anything unique to work with as of now). Also, it reminds me of this: https://www.deviantart.com/flintofmother3/art/Stuff-people-say-281-659112910

Anyway, I bring news!

...That really should have been noticed over a month ago, if it weren't for the Veediots-er, I mean Video Game Awards. :facepalm:

Also, this person is assured SSS will be out this April, for some reason.

While waiting for the nebulous time of Spring to blow over, here's an art dump, I guess.

Art by Jose Giovanna
jj5zh7md5p341 JoseGiovanna.png

Art by DeadlyWithPaper
EOoZAasUwAA2Knw DeadlyWithPaper.jpg

ENYWtRiXUAAsVTf.jpg

Art by reyaltyy
EMBsMOuWoAE2-2V reyaltyy.jpg

Didn't keep track of who did this one (Sorry Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy )
EL-5iQiWwAEyVfO Stale Meat.jpg

Art by Karakato (check them out, he's really good)
EOfEAMKU0AArBCL Karakato.png

EH-qQmHUwAAGoeu.png

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I agree with the choice of Byleth in this scenario. If you added one of the house leaders, for instance, that would mean the other two would get shunned aside and be deemed as unimportant by association. Byleth truly is the central point of every storyline in Three Houses, and despite being an avatar they have an aura of dependability and wisdom that makes everyone else want to fight for them.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Awesome that seven sirens is approaching the final stretch. Hopefully its not late spring so we don't need to wait too long.

In celebration, have a shantae Dancing fanart just released!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I agree with the choice of Byleth in this scenario. If you added one of the house leaders, for instance, that would mean the other two would get shunned aside and be deemed as unimportant by association. Byleth truly is the central point of every storyline in Three Houses, and despite being an avatar they have an aura of dependability and wisdom that makes everyone else want to fight for them.
And if you add all three lords, the argument shifts to why we got three characters from one game again. Can't even claim the lack of swords would placate haters at this point when not even having the triangle plus a bow helps.

No matter how many piled on excuses for why Fire Emblem rep is bad get disproven, people will just fall back and double down on others, like ever-increasing sales requirements that don't apply to series they personally want.

Doesn't help that the arguments of wanting less bland looking heroes and decreasing the amount of fighters actually kind of contradict each other.

Last edited:

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why everyone hates on Corrin, they were far more unique than most FE reps at the time. If anything I would say Corrin should be in that list over Ike since he is far closer to Marth than Corrin is
I admit Corrin has a more unique moveset. Corrin is still the character that really broke everyone for FE salt for being a FE rep in DLC for a game only a few months out in Japan only. It was literally marketing purposes since sm4sh was also on the 3DS.

As for my own bias, I don't see the point of him not having shoes. Fates has a very poor story with Corrin being a bland character. And especially because people kept saying there's no way Shantae's transformations* could be programmed in, and then Corrin comes out with partial transformations in the moveset.
(hey look thread relevancy)

* transformations in the now fusion style, because everyone assumed Pkmn Trainer style and an indie wouldn't get that many models animated and 3‐4 movesets for one new character. And couldn't understand or talked down forms that lasted for a single move.

For the record, I'm salty about more than just Corrin. I'm a Zelda main who also hates the new look for ultimate because they made her a waifu, took out the archetype I loved, and gave her what should be Shantae's spunk and poses.)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's nice to see this thread still rolling strong .. And the new Shantae coming, and the fighter pass opened up to who knows what kinds of characters. Things aren't bad for new speculation :)

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Moikaloop uploaded the YouTube version of the Shantae loop.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just don't let the speculation go crazy. Also, here is a template I found of putting your 6 wanted characters for Fighters Pass Season 2.
6a404a6fef5a6c846c3325c6d7ceef79.jpg

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
* transformations in the now fusion style, because everyone assumed Pkmn Trainer style and an indie wouldn't get that many models animated and 3‐4 movesets for one new character. And couldn't understand or talked down forms that lasted for a single move.
Knowing Sakurai, I think he could make a transformation wheel, a la Half Genie Hero, work.
I mean it's obvious that he now has the mindset of making characters play as if they were taken directly from the games.
Looking at characters like Inkling, Megaman and Terry, that really feel like they straight up jumped out of their own games to join in.
So really, I believe Sakurai can make it work.

Just because YOU can't see it working, doesn't mean Sakurai can't see it either.
Or anyone else for that matter.
Your feelings are not absolute, they're not the same every human being.
They're your own and your own ONLY!

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Actually, speaking of dancing mechanics, what if there was a way to switch between Auto-Dancing and Manual Dancing in-game? Like Auto-Dancing works similarly as it does in Half-Genie Hero, in that you can simply hold the dance button, then select an animal to transform into. Whereas when you use Manual Dancing, it works similarly to GBC Shantae's Dancing mechanic. While Auto-Dancing is used for the essential animal dances in-game, Manual Dancing is more used in puzzles and optional dances, either utility-based like healing/destroying or transforming into a secret creature (eg. a Tinkerbat), or the Auto-Dance works more like the Weapon Wheel in numerous games, where favorites are saved into the Weapon Wheel to use on-the-fly?

It could work in a diegetic way, where when a dance is used more often, Shantae can instantly tap into the magic more easily, though you could obviously move your personal favorites into the slots for easier access.
I think auto-dancing akin to what is in HGH as a toggle-able option would be the ideal solution. I can definitely see where meleebrawler meleebrawler is coming from on this one, but from reading this thread it seems like I'm not alone in really enjoying how dancing worked in Shantae GBC. LaBeteNoire LaBeteNoire I think you nailed it with the Ocarina of Time analogy, I don't know how that never occurred to me before.

Perhaps they could reward you for doing full inputs by giving you buffed transformations, so that you don't feel like you are wasting your time doing the inputs when you have access to an auto-dance feature. Maybe your attacks deal slightly more damage, or you have slighly improved movement speed or jump height or something. Maybe the buff could even scale with how rhythmically accurate your inputs are. Certain platforming sections might still be possible using auto dancing, but would become significantly easier when you nail the classic dance inputs.

Some sort of system like that whereby they make the classic dancing mechanic optional but rewarding, without punishing auto-dancers significantly, seems like the best of both worlds to me.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
For shantae build on the developers of Smash Bros view (and possibly with Matt's help), I can say this:
Transformation wheel: Shulk's monado arts selection
Appearence: like zelda and possibly other characters with a anime and kawaii look. Which will make shantae waifu material.
Moves: taken from Mario, Bayonetta and Zelda to name a few.

Top Bottom