• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Y'all are acting like moves in Smash have to work exactly like in their original games and that has literally never been true.

Anyway, Shantae, Shantae. In the hypothetical Shantae/Wario crossover, would Wario be the villain?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Y'all are acting like moves in Smash have to work exactly like in their original games and that has literally never been true.
Nobody is saying that? o_O

In fact, this is exactly why I find it so stupid for one to act like they're the authority on movesets.
Like you said, Smash has taken liberties before. So what gives?

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, Shantae, Shantae. In the hypothetical Shantae/Wario crossover, would Wario be the villain?
Wario would certainly be an antagonist, like in Wario Blast: Featuring Bomberman, but not the main one. Sequin Land has plenty of "Big Bad" tier villains that outclass Wario in planning, resources, and just plain rottenness, so he's likely going to just be an alternative playable character in that scenario.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace

Why not Captain Syrup and Risky Boots going all tag-team on Shantae and Wario?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Wario would certainly be an antagonist, like in Wario Blast: Featuring Bomberman, but not the main one. Sequin Land has plenty of "Big Bad" tier villains that outclass Wario in planning, resources, and just plain rottenness, so he's likely going to just be an alternative playable character in that scenario.
Frankly, Syrup is in the same boat. She is pretty much designed to be his foil, equally greedy and obsessed with treasure, but while Wario is a lone wolf who mainly uses brute force to get his way, Syrup is a wily schemer who prefers to let others do the dirty work for her. Both are too petty to really get involved in anything like world domination.

I see her more as a minor enemy who steals something important in a larger plot, like Croco or Popple. Then Wario forms a (temporary) truce with the party to get back some unrelated treasure/money she stole from him in exchange for letting the party have their Macguffin back. It's not just limited to Wario Land in my eyes, there's plenty of potential in the Super Mario universe at large. Even Warioware has some that shouldn't be dismissed out of hand, like Mona hanging out with Twitch & Vinegar, the Volts finally getting to meet some of their Nintendo idols, or Ashley getting some occult lessons from Hypno Baron, or maybe even a crush on Abner.

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
Why not Captain Syrup and Risky Boots going all tag-team on Shantae and Wario?
Yup, my idea as previously discussed a few pages ago. Gameplay just has to be adapted so as to make Shantae and Wario's transformations complementary in the progression (or maybe they can do the complete game on their own, with transformations for each character having equivalents), and there's huge comedic potential with the interactions between the Shantae cast and Wario, and between Syrup and Risky Boots.

Funny how the first crossover people seem to think about is Shantae x Wario, maybe it's the Syrup/Risky similarity? Also Shantae x Sonic, but I'm not really convinced by this one.

Oh, and it's 2020 here, so happy new year!!!

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Not for three and a half hours over here, but happy new year all the same!

Anyhoo, I doubt Shantae would want to team up with Wario and vice versa. Maybe it's something like Sonic Adventure 2 or story mode of Hyrule Warriors where you play both the hero and the villain's path?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Happy new years everyone! Hopefully this is the decade Shantae get's into Smash. I feel like it is. Great things are coming for the Shantae franchise this decade. ;)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Happy New Year guys! I'm hoping Shantae and many other requested characters make it into smash bros in this decade.
Oh believe me more highly requested characters are definitely coming to Smash this decade. We got Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie in just the timespan of one year so imagine how many others will finally get in come within 10 years time from now.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Happy New Years everyone.

Here is a Shantae artwork for tonight.
Artist: JaysonBlade
new_year_kimono_by_jaysonblade_ddn0v4i-pre.jpg

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
Not for three and a half hours over here, but happy new year all the same!

Anyhoo, I doubt Shantae would want to team up with Wario and vice versa. Maybe it's something like Sonic Adventure 2 or story mode of Hyrule Warriors where you play both the hero and the villain's path?
In my idea, they don't really "want to" team up, they're just somehow forced into it by the circumstances. I could see Shantae being in complete oblivious "Pirate's Curse" mode over Wario's selfish nature, Sky absolutely despising him, Rottytops having a hellavu fun with him (always backing him when he suggests something malicious or even adding her own suggestions) and Bolo being manipulated into believing he's a veteran treasure searcher/adventurer and looking up to him, only to be exploited/fooled. Meanwhile, Risky and Syrup would just have zero chemistry whatsoever, just trying to one-up or betray each other all the time, but being forced into cooperating by the circumstances as well. The whole game would have a highly comedic/absurd tone to it, with characters being oblivious to some bigger threat or something. As for the plot, I didn't think it through very far, I just picture something macguffin/race for the treasure (à la first Shantae game)-based.

I guess you could try to cram in some WarioWare cast members or even Waluigi into it. Depends on how the whole thing coalesces.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Happy New Year, with funko and totaku coming this year, feel like this is Shantaes year.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Happy New Year everyone.
I've already said this, but Geeeeeeeeeeezzzz, Smash Speculation has gone insane since Terry's launch, and it has only become worse and worse. Seriously, i just want a reveal already to end this madness!!!!
Which page did the current whiplash start on?

I've mentioned before, I'd want cameos in Animal Crossing for Shantae.

Style wise with characters and humor i think Wario matches best. You kind of have to work it for others.

Otherwise I could maybe see a cross over with Zelda. Like a similar vain to Cadence, where you have different characters with different abilities. Shantae's hair working like the spear, only goes forward but 2 tiles. Or as a cross over that works like the adventure of Link. Top down overworld, side scrolling combat and towns.

Also I'd love to see an open world Scuttle Town stage in Odyssey.

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
Otherwise I could maybe see a cross over with Zelda. Like a similar vain to Cadence, where you have different characters with different abilities. Shantae's hair working like the spear, only goes forward but 2 tiles. Or as a cross over that works like the adventure of Link. Top down overworld, side scrolling combat and towns.
I've been thinking about Zelda too :) But I would see her work best in the Toon Link universe, though I'm not sure how it would all be implemented

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not really special, but another Smash Ultimate event for tournaments. Its focused on melee.
Screenshot_20200101-115242_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Happy New Year guys!!!!

Hope for some awesome Shantae news coming this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
You'll all be delighted to learn that Pirate's Curse was the first game I played this decade.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Hey guys, it’s been a while hasn’t it?

sorry I haven’t really been posting much here lately, I’ve been spending most of my time on the social threads, I’ll work on spending time here too throughout the new year and continuing to support Shantae.

Speaking of:
A45E4DB6-F832-4CC5-9B95-CF25FC5FFF78.jpeg

https://www.deviantart.com/rongs1234/art/Shantae-winter-825484926

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hey guys, it’s been a while hasn’t it?

sorry I haven’t really been posting much here lately, I’ve been spending most of my time on the social threads, I’ll work on spending time here too throughout the new year and continuing to support Shantae.

Speaking of:
https://www.deviantart.com/rongs1234/art/Shantae-winter-825484926
Shantae's half-genie no? Can't she turn herself into a penguin or something for warmth. ;P

That or brought good clothing to keep her warm.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
There's three categories of Shantae transformations: animals of the Middle-Eastern (monkey, elephant, spider, bat, mouse) or tropical (crab, newt) variety, mythological female monsters (harpy, mermaid, dryad, HGH spider) and joke/WTF (Tinkerbat, jug, SOPHIA III). And given the people she learns these from (other genies and a snake lady in a jar), the dances are unlikely to deviate much from them anytime soon.

Last edited:

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking about Zelda too :) But I would see her work best in the Toon Link universe, though I'm not sure how it would all be implemented
I was simply offering concepts for gameplay, since AoL included side scrolling already. Toon Link art style is certainly up for grabs.

The biggest big-brain moment of the Mario Land game:
Sequin Land is actually just a lesser land under the greatness that is Sarasaland. :p
Genius! And would offer an excuse to actually go back to Sarasaland and let Daisy have importance outside of party games.

Shantae's half-genie no? Can't she turn herself into a penguin or something for warmth. That or brought good clothing to keep her warm.
Not really. She even has a quote about needing warmer clothes upon entering a snowy area in the third game.

The most logical transformations currently shown would be the harpy and the mermaid. Harpy is easy, covered in insulated feathers. The mermaid could be written off as another mythical creature, but mermaid Shantae looks different enough from the enemy species she could pass as a migratory species of mermaid that could adapt to cold waters. So she could survive ice caps in theory. Otherwise, your choices are her mammals (monkey, bat, or elephant) and none of those really live father than the temperate forests.

I suggest reworking her scrapped tiger transformation into a lynx to help keep her warm.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The biggest big-brain moment of the Mario Land game:
Sequin Land is actually just a lesser land under the greatness that is Sarasaland. :p
If that's the case than Daisy is Sequin Land's true ruler. You know else that would mean? It means Shantae's world is part of the Mario universe. :4pacman:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Happy New Year! (In a late greeting. It is already the 2'nd here in Forest Mongolia Finland).

The subject of Shantae and winter clothing reminds me of this drawing by Inkerton-kun.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If that's the case than Daisy is Sequin Land's true ruler. You know else that would mean? It means Shantae's world is part of the Mario universe. :4pacman:
How come no one speaks of that time an alien flew by and brainwashed everyone?

Edit: You know, most DLC fighters got a tournament representing an aspect of them shortly after their release. Who's betting on a magic-themed one for Shantae?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Happy New Year! (In a late greeting. It is already the 2'nd here in Forest Mongolia Finland).

The subject of Shantae and winter clothing reminds me of this drawing by Inkerton-kun.

I love that fanart with Shantae and Shovel Knight wearing warm winter jackets and scarfs. I remember there was someone on here awhile back that had that pic as their avatar, but I don't remember who exactly.

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
mythological female monsters (harpy, mermaid, dryad, HGH spider)
They should've called it an Arachne transformation. They also goofed up with the Harpy uhh..."Talon" in HGH.

It's weird seeing these kinds of mistakes in games that started out with English scripts to begin with.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
They should've called it an Arachne transformation. They also goofed up with the Harpy uhh..."Talon" in HGH.

It's weird seeing these kinds of mistakes in games that started out with English scripts to begin with.
All artifacts from the first game, really. There the talon really did result in a tantalizingly meteoric swipe. But if you think about raptor ancestry where there used to be claws where the harpy launches it's feathers...

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
It appears FP5 will be released at the end of February. Will they announce it in some Direct before that date to build the hype, or will they keep it a secret until the end? The suspense is insufferable D:

MilkCalf

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
2739-5061-8025
Also Shantae x Sonic, but I'm not really convinced by this one.
Those two would probably be really wholesome together. Two good beans.
. I could see Shantae being in complete oblivious "Pirate's Curse" mode over Wario's selfish nature
I don't think she was oblivious. She has been kinda hateful and disappointed in Risky before that. She just doesn't see her as a threat then and points out that she would much rather be buddies than enemies.

So how do you guys think Shantae would play?
I'm guessing either zoner or bait and punish, but with her extensive list of moves it's hard to know. At least her back roll animation would probably be the backdash from Risky's Revenge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom