• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Don't really believe it, but anything could happen since Fighters Pass 1 is about to end in February.

Again, don't hold your breath too much.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Oooh, I doubt they'd stop at mere tweaks if they were ever to return to the original. There are many, many things that would have to be changed to bring the game up to modern standards, such that addressing them would effectively be making a new game from the ground up. I'm not even sure they'll keep the old dancing method if they deem that fans prefer Pirate's Curse/Seven Sirens methods of transforming and movement. Just... giving the game the Zero Mission treatment you know? Maybe they'll include the unaltered original as a bonus, but either way I doubt a potential remake would ever feel the same.

From what I can tell, the NES Metroid is not particularly well-regarded these days, even by fans of the series, who seem to only recommend the game as a historical curiosity more than anything else. Just like we do not speak of Street Fighter 1. Sometimes first games in series are neglected for a reason.
That's why it would be a remake instead of a remaster. It would have to be more than an enhanced port. And really, the game isnt bad, it's a GameBoy Color game, not NES era. It just isnt meant to be a fast paced platformer, but slower with more exploration based. More relaxed. And modern gaming just wants fast paced everything because internet era of low attention spans. Her ponytail attack being a bit short, and no map, are the biggest sins it commits.

Really though I dont want the old dancing (concept and animations) to be forgotten by time. And I think there's a simple way to do it. You start with having to dance. Then you can get to collect (or buy) an item to upgrade it, a reasonable time later. So the main transformations end up working like fusions before the end. Just upgrade the monkey quickly so your main platforming form is quick and easy, and the rest can be whenever.

I know no one has the patience to actually learn the warp dances anymore. Even if they follow a decent pattern. That's the only thing that's hard to repurpose tastefully.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Im not a huge fan of these things i keep hearimg, that no indie fighter is coming at all, and may just be mii costumes at most. I get fatman is claiming not to be a leaker and just a speculating guy, but he has been throwing out a lot of what he hears his contacts hearing, so that sounds like leaks, and if he is right ... i would be very upset.

Indies deserve much more then just mii costumes, spirits, and assist trophies. Much more.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Im not a huge fan of these things i keep hearimg, that no indie fighter is coming at all, and may just be mii costumes at most. I get fatman is claiming not to be a leaker and just a speculating guy, but he has been throwing out a lot of what he hears his contacts hearing, so that sounds like leaks, and if he is right ... i would be very upset.

Indies deserve much more then just mii costumes, spirits, and assist trophies. Much more.
Is that what the main thread is going over a lot currently?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Is that what the main thread is going over a lot currently?
I havent checked the main thread, so maybe? I mean he keeps saying hes only a speculator but also saying all these things he heard from contacts.

Also, seems interesting papagenos, vergeben, nor sabi is reflectimg anything his contacts have been telling him.

Still, i think a indie is happening just given what has been going on with nintendo

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
as long as she doesnt get mii costume I think we're fine, I only say mii costume since even for Rex currently its seems like "not yet till much later after its debut" type of scenario.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Still, i think a indie is happening just given what has been going on with nintendo
From what we have, for the "final DLC" in the pass, I'm honestly expecting Sora. Otherwise an FPS rep or someone with a history of some of the other fighters (like Crash to Banjo or another fighting rep).

But that doesnt take into account a lot of the things we heard during the Terry presentation.

If we're going indie, should we be expecting Quote or something? I still want Shantae obviously but I can also see her being later for Seven Sirens timing.

zferolie

Smash Hero
From what we have, for the "final DLC" in the pass, I'm honestly expecting Sora. Otherwise an FPS rep or someone with a history of some of the other fighters (like Crash to Banjo or another fighting rep).

But that doesnt take into account a lot of the things we heard during the Terry presentation.

If we're going indie, should we be expecting Quote or something? I still want Shantae obviously but I can also see her being later for Seven Sirens timing.
Yeah while i am hoping she is is FP5, i am not expecting her till later. I am really not sure who the 5th will be though

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
I still am suspicious of that "dance within ratings" quote from SS P1. There's far too many breadcrumbs.

But to be kind to other Fighter's, whose indie enough to be a never guess it surprise, more moveset instead of just representation, and as a bonus might otherwise be dismissed for CERO issues at first?

Because after Shantae my female picks are Lara Croft and Miku, (and Amaterasu) because I'm sick of Kosmos and would rather have Irelia from League of Legends, who has a similar silhouette. But none of those fit as indie. And I don't know indies well enough other than Lilac from Freedom Planet and our girl.

Rambling aside, who might be some options we could think of? That fit a similar checklist (even if Shantae fits it better) ?

zferolie

Smash Hero
I still am suspicious of that "dance within ratings" quote from SS P1. There's far too many breadcrumbs.

But to be kind to other Fighter's, whose indie enough to be a never guess it surprise, more moveset instead of just representation, and as a bonus might otherwise be dismissed for CERO issues at first?

Because after Shantae my female picks are Lara Croft and Miku, (and Amaterasu) because I'm sick of Kosmos and would rather have Irelia from League of Legends, who has a similar silhouette. But none of those fit as indie. And I don't know indies well enough other than Lilac from Freedom Planet and our girl.

Rambling aside, who might be some options we could think of? That fit a similar checklist (even if Shantae fits it better) ?
Wayforward loves their meta jokes and references.

Honestly the only other Indies i can think have a good chance are Reimu, quote, Hallow Knight or Hornet, and thats really it. MAYBE Miriam if Sakurai and Igarashi are close friends and they want to spite konami some more

I would love Freedom Planet representation but not expecting it. Its a fantastic game but doesnt seem that it has caught on lile the others i mentioned.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
It's apparent the guy only searches for answers he wants to hear.

For instance, I noticed he was one of the people to vote Shantae would be slated to an Assist Trophy on the poll above. I think that's proof enough of his...credibility.

Last edited:

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
From what we have, for the "final DLC" in the pass, I'm honestly expecting Sora.
I don't expect any other Square character, personally. And yet, if my little list exercise from a few pages ago isn't proof enough, there are a crapload of Square characters I think could/should be in Smash (starting with Terra, or even Lara Croft if she counts).

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That's why it would be a remake instead of a remaster. It would have to be more than an enhanced port. And really, the game isnt bad, it's a GameBoy Color game, not NES era. It just isnt meant to be a fast paced platformer, but slower with more exploration based. More relaxed. And modern gaming just wants fast paced everything because internet era of low attention spans. Her ponytail attack being a bit short, and no map, are the biggest sins it commits.

Really though I dont want the old dancing (concept and animations) to be forgotten by time. And I think there's a simple way to do it. You start with having to dance. Then you can get to collect (or buy) an item to upgrade it, a reasonable time later. So the main transformations end up working like fusions before the end. Just upgrade the monkey quickly so your main platforming form is quick and easy, and the rest can be whenever.

I know no one has the patience to actually learn the warp dances anymore. Even if they follow a decent pattern. That's the only thing that's hard to repurpose tastefully.
How is speedrunning or wanting fluid, smooth gameplay a modern invention when Metroid has been rewarding players for fast clears since day 1?

I don't see GBC Shantae as slow-paced because of exploration. It's slow because, intentionally or not, the game actively punishes any attempt at going fast. Run through the overworld and you'll constantly bump into enemies or fall into pits. Only way to fix that is grinding gems for Vanish Mint cheese and that other item that prevents falls. So you're either tip-toeing through levels trying desperately not to die, or repeatedly playing a minigame so that you can make running more fun. That is the cardinal sin of the game. A metroidvania should be fun to both speedrun and carefully search for secrets. Not that there's that much to be found in the land with how sparse and flat most of it is. Secrets usually get pointed out by ladders or background walls.

Even the dancing fights with attempts to go fast, punishing you for trying to do so unless you're absolutely safe. The only tangible benefit to a dance menu, as seen in HGH, is that it can allow for many more moves and transformations than would otherwise be available with buttons. In a game with only four it's just an unnecessary extra step. Unless their movesets get fleshed out considerably.

Dungeons are the only part of the game I really like, often using unique mechanics and boasting terrain that makes them fun and varied to explore.

I just had to get that off my chest. The game deserves credit where it's due, but there's a lot more wrong with it than just a short whip and convoluted warping than can be excused away by the time and hardware. I don't want a game like this to wrestle with me for trying to play it a certain way.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, we are getting a Nintendo Direct this week buuuut... It's a 20 minute Pokemon Direct. Don't really know what they could be talking about this soon since SwSh is out and everyone is done with it but they still want to pretend it's a live a little longer before announcing the next games... Guess we will all have to wait and see, but for all you Smash fans news may still be a while off.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well thats .... odd. A pokemon only direct... when nintendo still has barely anything announced for this month... very strange.

Watch they adding another pokemon to smash.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
It might about some information like Pokemon Home they want to go over
Yeah, I had forgotten about home until now so they likely will talk about that, I suppose they might talk about Sleep as well. I don't know I suppose I'm just a little salty as SwSh was the shortest main line experience I've ever had so that in addition to all the other flaws it has has left me a bit bitter to the on goings at GameFreak. I'd love for them to announce something that either improves my opinions on SwSh or gives me reason to be excited n the future, but I'm not really counting on it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Wayforward loves their meta jokes and references.

Honestly the only other Indies i can think have a good chance are Reimu, quote, Hallow Knight or Hornet, and thats really it. MAYBE Miriam if Sakurai and Igarashi are close friends and they want to spite konami some more

I would love Freedom Planet representation but not expecting it. Its a fantastic game but doesnt seem that it has caught on lile the others i mentioned.
I honestly think Shantae, Reimu, and Quote are the only Indies with any hope of a chance of getting in this game.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah, I had forgotten about home until now so they likely will talk about that, I suppose they might talk about Sleep as well. I don't know I suppose I'm just a little salty as SwSh was the shortest main line experience I've ever had so that in addition to all the other flaws it has has left me a bit bitter to the on goings at GameFreak. I'd love for them to announce something that either improves my opinions on SwSh or gives me reason to be excited n the future, but I'm not really counting on it.
Oh man getting some flashbacks to last yeas direct that just showed those too... so boreing haha. If its just sleep and home people are going to be pissed.

I know gamegreak does their own thing but its hurting them more then helping. Yes i enjoyed sword and shield but there were a lot of flaws and issues too

I honestly think Shantae, Reimu, and Quote are the only Indies with any hope of a chance of getting in this game.
Those 3 are the top contenders for sure

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's apparent the guy only searches for answers he wants to hear.

For instance, I noticed he was one of the people to vote Shantae would be slated to an Assist Trophy on the poll above. I think that's proof enough of his...credibility.
Fatmanonice has told me he really likes Shantae and her games. He loves the fact how the series has grown so much since the original GBC release. It going from a small budget GBC game to a somewhat popular Indie franchise. Just because he voted Shantae as an Assist Trophy, that doesn't mean he doesn't like Shantae because he was just giving out his opinion. I'm sure he would greatly prefer Shantae as a playable character over her being an Assist Trophy.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I would only be fine with another Pokemon if it's from Gen 3 because damnit that generation needs a slot in the roster.
No no. Only new pokemon character i want is cynthia, and she fights alongside her whole team. Garchomp, spiritomb, miltoic, togekiss, Glaceon, and roserade. She fights on the feild with pokemon poppimg out with her as she attacks. Like the dash attack just rides on garchomp using dragon rush.

Cynthia is the most popular trainer in the games by a mile, and she should be in smash

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
No no. Only new pokemon character i want is cynthia, and she fights alongside her whole team. Garchomp, spiritomb, miltoic, togekiss, Glaceon, and roserade. She fights on the feild with pokemon poppimg out with her as she attacks. Like the dash attack just rides on garchomp using dragon rush.

Cynthia is the most popular trainer in the games by a mile, and she should be in smash
Cynthia would be really cool. But still, Gen 3 doesn't have a character in the roster and nether does Gen 5. Every generation should be represented here.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I'm still not sure how well Cynthia would fit.
I mean what kind of Pokemon would she use?
Garchomp for sure.
But Lucario is already a stand-alone character...

So yeah, what three Pokemon would she send into battle in Smash?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Cynthia would be really cool. But still, Gen 3 doesn't have a character in the roster and nether does Gen 5. Every generation should be represented here.
Well she has Milotic which is a Gen 3 pokemon. And i suppose one could replace Togekiss with Braviery, which she had in black and white, as a gen 5 pokemon

I'm still not sure how well Cynthia would fit.
I mean what kind of Pokemon would she use?
Garchomp for sure.
But Lucario is already a stand-alone character...

So yeah, what three Pokemon would she send into battle in Smash?
As i said, she wouldnt fight like pokemon trainer. She would be running and jumping on the battlefield, but each of her attacks has her call out a different pokemon to assist as she fights. I made a huge post on this in the cynthia thread here, but things that could happen would be like for her dash attack, she rides on Garchomp as it uses dragon rush, air down would be she grabs onto a falling spuritomb and could let go to stop herself from fast falling but the spiritomb keeps gping down. Up be would be her riding on Togekiss or Braviery as it uses brave bird or sky attack.

It would be a very unique fighting style fitting for probably pokemons strongest champion

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well she has Milotic which is a Gen 3 pokemon. And i suppose one could replace Togekiss with Braviery, which she had in black and white, as a gen 5 pokemon

As i said, she wouldnt fight like pokemon trainer. She would be running and jumping on the battlefield, but each of her attacks has her call out a different pokemon to assist as she fights. I made a huge post on this in the cynthia thread here, but things that could happen would be like for her dash attack, she rides on Garchomp as it uses dragon rush, air down would be she grabs onto a falling spuritomb and could let go to stop herself from fast falling but the spiritomb keeps gping down. Up be would be her riding on Togekiss or Braviery as it uses brave bird or sky attack.

It would be a very unique fighting style fitting for probably pokemons strongest champion
I remember seeing someone say something in the comment section in a video related to Cynthia like "Strongest champion+hottest champion+sexiest champion+perfect champion=BEST CHAMPION" Lol! :joyful:

Last edited:

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
I would only be fine with another Pokemon if it's from Gen 3 because damnit that generation needs a slot in the roster.
Colosseum and XD Gale of Darkness were gen 3... remakes with new fighter as Colosseum Trainer: MC Wes with Misty rip off using Umbreon and Espeon as a double pkmn battle a la Ice Climbers style?
a7ed746f9cc1e465247dfa331c77939a235431de_00.jpg

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Colosseum and XD Gale of Darkness were gen 3... remakes with new fighter as Colosseum Trainer: MC Wes with Misty rip off using Umbreon and Espeon as a double pkmn battle a la Ice Climbers style?
We don't have a Gen 3 Pokemon in the Smash roster, that's what I'm talking about.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, I don't think that a smash reveal would appear for the Pokémon direct since that is most focused on Game Freak's projects.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
We don't have a Gen 3 Pokemon in the Smash roster, that's what I'm talking about.
I know. That's why most people want Sceptile. Full stage grass + gen 3.

It's also why the Gardevior + Gothitelle echo was a good fan concept as it added in gen 3 and gen 5.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Double post, but see this guys?

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Seems like they are teasing switch devil may cry 3 news on the 16th, which could tie into a nintendo direct

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Which also would make no sense at all.
Sorry, but as great as Cynthia is, it was never shown that she could actually fight herself.

A Battle Girl would be a more fitting pick for such a moveset, since those actually do fight by themselves, even if it's never shown.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Little surprised no one's entertained the idea of Plusle and Minun (Both Gen 3 PKMN) being added to Ultimate, considering that rumor about how they may have been planned for Brawl.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Little surprised no one's entertained the idea of Plusle and Minun (Both Gen 3 PKMN) being added to Ultimate, considering that rumor about how they may have been planned for Brawl.
As Pichu Echoes?
I think they already said that Fighter's Pass will have no Echoes.

And it would be quite a letdown.
I'd take a unique Pokemon over this.
Like Sceptile...

zferolie

Smash Hero
Which also would make no sense at all.
Sorry, but as great as Cynthia is, it was never shown that she could actually fight herself.

A Battle Girl would be a more fitting pick for such a moveset, since those actually do fight by themselves, even if it's never shown.
Its more the fact rhat she is so in tune with her pokemon as a true pokemon master that she can fight along side them with little trouble

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That girl isn't a trainer at all. All she does is detect evil and act as a mouthpiece.
The ship on Pikaclones has sailed since gen 4, and especially after Smash 4 started making them pokeball Pokemon. Triply so now that we have Pichu again.

Its more the fact rhat she is so in tune with her pokemon as a true pokemon master that she can fight along side them with little trouble
Pull a stunt like this outside of manga and anime and we can officially call Cynthia a Mary Sue.

Anybody else got a Pokemon opinion for me to snap at in a Shantae thread?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Pull a stunt like this outside of manga and anime and we can officially call Cynthia a Mary Sue.

Anybody else got a Pokemon opinion for me to snap at in a Shantae thread?
Haha probably. Still would be fun.

Shoot down my.want of Meloetta. Shes the gen 5 i want the most. Too bad she is still a pokeball. Her singing with stance change to be more melee would be fun

Top Bottom