• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Its more the fact rhat she is so in tune with her pokemon as a true pokemon master that she can fight along side them with little trouble
Again, when did she ever do that?
She is an amazing trainer. But when did she ever demonstrate fighting abilities of her own?

I don't think it was ever even remotely implied that she's a martial artist or anything like that.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Haha probably. Still would be fun.

Shoot down my.want of Meloetta. Shes the gen 5 i want the most. Too bad she is still a pokeball. Her singing with stance change to be more melee would be fun
Well, don't do the shooting for me, please.

Pokemon discussion in general makes me cranky, because not only am I in the awkward position of not being vested enough to be really excited or enraged by anything, but prediction is just a hopeless cause these days. Sakurai picks the Pokemon he darn well feels like.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Again, when did she ever do that?
She is an amazing trainer. But when did she ever demonstrate fighting abilities of her own?

I don't think it was ever even remotely implied that she's a martial artist or anything like that.
You may be mistaken on what i mean. I mean cynthia doesnt attack at all, she just is on the field with her pokemon. She has the hurtbox and she is running and jumping, but every move of hers has a different pokemon do the attack. She uses all 6 of her pokemon spread out through a normal characters moveset.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
The typical Team Rocket goons yeah but not this Team Rocket though and Sakurai can just relabel them Jesse & James if he has to. Sheesh.
Yeah, I hope it's not gonna happen.
It's bad enough Smash does the "Pokemon saying their names" nonsense from the anime...

The less taken from that dumpster fire of a show, the better...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You may be mistaken on what i mean. I mean cynthia doesnt attack at all, she just is on the field with her pokemon. She has the hurtbox and she is running and jumping, but every move of hers has a different pokemon do the attack. She uses all 6 of her pokemon spread out through a normal characters moveset.
Actually, this just makes her look incredibly foolish, putting herself in harm's way even though she doesn't directly contribute to the fight in any way except by barking orders that Trainer does from safety. Not to mention being a colossal pain to animate with all the constant pokeball flashing.

Ajna can do much the same things you're describing while actually being able to fight and not having to exert herself much summoning her companions.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
It's bad enough Smash does the "Pokemon saying their names" nonsense from the anime...

Denial only makes what thought impossible the inevitable.

*Terry nodding in agreement*

And it will be how Shantae will get in. Because of GameFaqs.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Denial only makes what thought impossible the inevitable.

*Terry nodding in agreement*

And it will be how Shantae will get in. Because of GameFaqs.
There are some characters that blur the line of being either a video game one or from another type of media. Like a certain war golem slated to be part of Ajna's indie brigade...

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
There are some characters that blur the line of being either a video game one or from another type of media. Like a certain war golem slated to be part of Ajna's indie brigade...
It ain't like ROB starred in a videogame prior but he was related to Nintendo so he got a pass. Jesse & James are part of Pokémon and lately popped into one of their games (Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee) so I figure good enough.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
The Gen 3 representation I want to see is Flygon. Give him a tweaked version of Chrizard's solo moveset (cange the colors of flame thrower and flare blitz to look like Dragon Breath and Dragon Rush)

Make him a little faster and a little weaker than Zard and have him float around like Mewtwo to represent that he has the levitate ability. He would rep an unused game and two unused types all while restoring a moveset that's missing with a fan favorite who would be relatively easy to implement.

As for gen 5... I guess Melloetta would be nice especially if you let her switch between forms like Zelda used to, but honestly i won't be upset if gen 5 gets left out. It's still my least favorites generation and the only one that doesn't have a pokemon in my "favorite of each type list" Honestly one of my gripes with SwSh is with how so much of the limited dex is taken up with some of the worst gen 5 pokemon.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Fatmanonice has told me he really likes Shantae and her games. He loves the fact how the series has grown so much since the original GBC release. It going from a small budget GBC game to a somewhat popular Indie franchise. Just because he voted Shantae as an Assist Trophy, that doesn't mean he doesn't like Shantae because he was just giving out his opinion. I'm sure he would greatly prefer Shantae as a playable character over her being an Assist Trophy.
That is an assumption on my part.

I still don't think he should be looked towards as a leaker with foresight to Ultimate's entire DLC cycle. Right now, it just seems like he is gravitating to anything promising to Geno. Don't get me wrong, I too think Geno has a shot largely due to being such a long-term request but there's nothing I consider a lock.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
As someone whose tired of making Shantae or even waifu-related SFMs, this meme was made (rather remade) as a result.
meme.png

Last edited by a moderator:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace

Pokemon say their names when you talk to them in Sword/Shield....

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Pokemon say their names when you talk to them in Sword/Shield....
I wouldn't know since I haven't played those games.

However, I know that 90% of the time, Pokemon don't do that in the games, if they are NPCs and you talk to them.
They are supposed to do cries, roars and grunts, like real life animals.
It has been true at least until Gen 6.
Can't speak about Gens 7 and 8. Never touched those...

But even if the games do that, I still don't like it.
Not only do I fail to grasp the logic behind it, it's also absolute torture to listen to.
Especially if they have long conversations.
Then I'm like Deadpool: "Make. It. Stop!"
Makes me want to force a running drill through my eardrums.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
That girl isn't a trainer at all. All she does is detect evil and act as a mouthpiece.
So? Being a navi is just so you can stay a silent BA protagonist. The Colosseum trainer is more appealing than the kid in XD, who also just has an eevee, whose already in pokeballs. The sidekick girl at least offers another something marketable to girls, goes with Espeon to the real guy's Umbreon look, and would be internet'ed. Adding her being useful would be better than her not being there or just in the background useless. Plus we wouldnt get 8 dark look alike coats on the guy like Cloud and Joker. I like clarity (which is why I wouldn't want all four Shantae designs as alt costumes unless they also change color sans Pirate because of clarity. I rather get OG genie tan and Scuttle town wall leaning pink/cyan than 2 more red outfits with basically just different hip sections). Have both stand in the background then with her cheering. Just make her alts mimic espeon while the guy matches umbreon.

I more so vote for Colosseum remakes (and reintroducing shadow pokemon and the snagem mechanic, which is something the series could use again) and another duo like ice climbers with a decent "similar body proportions" option.

Would look like Bayonetta but summoning pokemon instead of demons.

I rather deal with pokemon saying their names, then deal with kids and young adults who came in during Go! and cant figure out how to pronounce the names to save their lives. I never thought one could butcher Clefairy and Clefable to the point I couldn't recognize the names and do it so badly I've never been able to replicate how terrible it was.

The show, while formulaic and of various degrees of quality, isn't that bad.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I rather deal with pokemon saying their names, then deal with kids and young adults who came in during Go! and cant figure out how to pronounce the names to save their lives. I never thought one could butcher Clefairy and Clefable to the point I couldn't recognize the names and do it so badly I've never been able to replicate how terrible it was.

The show, while formulaic and of various degrees of quality, isn't that bad.
So you'd take straight up torture over simple mispronunciations?
Yeah, not me...

As for the show:
Sorry if I press X to Doubt there.
But a show that breaks canon so often, like getting type weaknesses wrong constantly or having the protagonist fight freaking Dr. Robotnik machines, isn't the mark of a good show.
Especially if it either removes or completely rewrites game characters into a complete joke, to promote the loser that is the main character.
Not to mention the overuse of the Reset Button, aka do it all again and again and again, just so we don't have to make a new main character.

The show might get some things right.
But the things it does wrong completely ruin everything for me.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I know it is popular to bash game adaptations for their inaccuracies, but the truth is that many of them would not make for good watches if taken at face value. Hollywood may frequently go overboard in overcompensating, but there is a valid point in how no one wants to watch Ash search in the grass or beat up wild Pokemon for hours or days on end training or looking for rares. Battles would almost completely lack tension if played to mathematical accuracy.

Adaptations will bend any rules they have to in order to be fun, and that includes games like Pokken and Smash axing all forms of type matchup or loosely interpreting move effects for balance and playability.

S Sunny-Zee What'd I tell ya'll about that user? Gets angry even when no one is actually addressing him or directly bashing his opinions, you only need to have a different one to be on the bad side.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'll leave this video here to help with some tention relief. Also, I will go out to get ready for pokemon news tomorrow. See ya
Also, here is a shantae artwork for tonight
Artist: ConveyKaiser
shantae__idol_mode_lola__by_convoykaiser_ddnv8kz-pre.jpg

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I know it is popular to bash game adaptations for their inaccuracies, but the truth is that many of them would not make for good watches if taken at face value. Hollywood may frequently go overboard in overcompensating, but there is a valid point in how no one wants to watch Ash search in the grass or beat up wild Pokemon for hours or days on end training or looking for rares. Battles would almost completely lack tension if played to mathematical accuracy.

Adaptations will bend any rules they have to in order to be fun, and that includes games like Pokken and Smash axing all forms of type matchup or loosely interpreting move effects for balance and playability.

S Sunny-Zee What'd I tell ya'll about that user? Gets angry even when no one is actually addressing him or directly bashing his opinions, you only need to have a different one to be on the bad side.
I want a Pokemon thats more action rpg and plays like say Kingdom hearts. Id love to control the Pokemon themselves in the battle ,similar to Pokken but not as focused on fighting controls so as o better simplify the gameplay to keep focus on the rpg aspect.

Think how fights go in anime, Pokemon can dodge and move around, they can use attacks in conjunction with each other and affect and use the environment, I want to simulate battles, the best battles from the anime.

Paragon... have you ever watched the X and Y league semi final battle? Its probably one of the best showings the anime has with gorgeous animation and battle choreography. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJclFQBEhT8 Theres a lot of good points in the Pokemon anime's favor.

Also I want Shantae as a trainer.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I want a Pokemon thats more action rpg and plays like say Kingdom hearts. Id love to control the Pokemon themselves in the battle ,similar to Pokken but not as focused on fighting controls so as o better simplify the gameplay to keep focus on the rpg aspect.

Think how fights go in anime, Pokemon can dodge and move around, they can use attacks in conjunction with each other and affect and use the environment, I want to simulate battles, the best battles from the anime.

Paragon... have you ever watched the X and Y league semi final battle? Its probably one of the best showings the anime has with gorgeous animation and battle choreography. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJclFQBEhT8 Theres a lot of good points in the Pokemon anime's favor.

Also I want Shantae as a trainer.
The X/Y anime really was the best in tone and character development. I kinda wish they had stopped using Ash after that, it really was his high point.

Also I would love Shantae as a trainer. Her team: Medicham, Aipom, Cuphant, Ariados, Primarina and Staraptor.

zferolie

Smash Hero
The X/Y anime really was the best in tone and character development. I kinda wish they had stopped using Ash after that, it really was his high point.

Also I would love Shantae as a trainer. Her team: Medicham, Aipom, Cuphant, Ariados, Primarina and Staraptor.
How could you not have Meloetta and Hoopa as Shantae's Pokemon? They are Perfect(dancer and Genie)

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
How could you not have Meloetta and Hoopa as Shantae's Pokemon? They are Perfect(dancer and Genie)
I was avoiding legends/myths because what trainers do you come across that has pokemon like that? I picked Medicham because it is a belly dancer and all the others for her most famous transformations.

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I'm back from planet Clancer, and---
*sees drama*

Whoops. Bad timing.
Marina_dip.gif

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That is an assumption on my part.

I still don't think he should be looked towards as a leaker with foresight to Ultimate's entire DLC cycle. Right now, it just seems like he is gravitating to anything promising to Geno. Don't get me wrong, I too think Geno has a shot largely due to being such a long-term request but there's nothing I consider a lock.
Fatman isn't a leaker and he says that he isn't. He speculates and creates awesome theories from what he hears, so he is just speculating like all of us here. Except he has some connections/contects so he has more to lean off of with his theories.

I've never played Mischief Makers. Is it good?
It's great! You play as this robot named Marina and she shakes and throws ****. The game has some puzzles, and semi to mid difficult platforming segments and bosses so I say it's worth checking out if you haven't ever played it.

Last edited:

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
I didn't buy Pokémon SwSh, and I'm even less inclined to buy it now. 30 bucks is way too much for what is promised in this DLC IMO

zferolie

Smash Hero
I am happy they didnt forget mystery dungeon, and these expansion passes seem to be quite big and legit. I have a feeling if they had time to delay the main game it would look like these expansion passes, most how the full new areas are basically controlled like wild areas.

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
My only issue with this Mystery Dungeon remake is the pricing again XD 60 bucks is a lot D:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Its a full remake with new stuff, of course its going to be full price for the amount of time the game is.
And, you have both red and blue versions since the original is this
Blue: DS
Red: GBA
Natural since the DS did have GBA support with dual screen

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I didn't buy Pokémon SwSh, and I'm even less inclined to buy it now. 30 bucks is way too much for what is promised in this DLC IMO
Agreed, SwSh, tho fun for what it was, was already overpriced. They are going to have to show a lot (and not just promise or let us assume like they did with the base game) to get me interested in this expansion.

Mystery Dungeon however has me intrigued. I like the story book art style, but the price is a hard sell. Now if it was a remake of Explorers of Sky I would pay any amount they asked as that is one of my favorite games of all time. Hopefully they decide to remake that one next year.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I am happy they didnt forget mystery dungeon, and these expansion passes seem to be quite big and legit. I have a feeling if they had time to delay the main game it would look like these expansion passes, most how the full new areas are basically controlled like wild areas.
Couldn't you say the same thing about Crystal, Platinum, Emerald, BW2 and Ultra Sun/Moon?

Back in the day, if you wanted to "expand" your Pokemon game, you paid full price for relatively marginal additions unless you deprived yourself originally while your friends were still having fun with what they had, and had to start the campaign over from scratch. Here the expansion is half the price of what would normally be paid, and those who don't buy still reap benefits through transfers and trading.

Top Bottom