• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
You know who Daisy oughta hang with? Shantae! Whether in a Smash trailer or for a new Nintendo exclusive crossover indie like Cadence of Hyrule!
On that note, Tracer is the only other potential fighter that I see being on that mural interacting with Daisy. None of the other most likely contenders fit being represented by the "comical, off-balancing butt bump" gag. Only Tifa or Pyra would fit the "friendship bump," and we just got Hero followed by XBC2 being unable to be represented as per the Rex Mii Costume.

Tracer or Shantae, place your bets, place your bets!

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
On that note, Tracer is the only other potential fighter that I see being on that mural interacting with Daisy. None of the other most likely contenders fit being represented by the "comical, off-balancing butt bump" gag. Only Tifa or Pyra would fit the "friendship bump," and we just got Hero followed by XBC2 being unable to be represented as per the Rex Mii Costume.

Tracer or Shantae, place your bets, place your bets!
Shantae, considering Blizzard is on Nintendo's ****list at least right now lol

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I made this collage of characters I want/expectas DLC or think have a chance as DLC.

I also realized I forgot to put in some, biggest being Ryu Hayabusa, but this file is so big on paint (around 36MB) my comp slows to a crawl forever until I can then actively work on it. So Ill wait on that "update"

Smash Ultimate DLC Potentials 50%.png

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well anyway, here's Luigi with a genie lamp. In an Egyptian exibit for some reason.
2019110316214600-0C015090E6C5E3F06D97FEDE95458758.jpg

Also, has anyone stopped to listen to Squidsmith's new, unnecessarily epic theme?

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Shantae, considering Blizzard is on Nintendo's ****list at least right now lol
Yeah, especially how quick nintendo was to completely drop anything Blizzard related (telling fans that Blizzard canceled the release event and not advertising overwatch at all) I think if an OW character were in Smash, Nintendo would be putting more of a PR spin out there to make sure that when she was revealed everyone was ok with it.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I know I'm not supposed to be in this board right now, but I should leave this here...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

It's basically going to be a battle between H/Milk-Bosatsu and the Mallow/Cacodemon Mii Fighter costumes to see which one is real. If it's not both.

Also, how is Nakoruru going to be in the game when she has explicitly been deconfirmed? You don't see people say that for Joe Higashi and Iori Yagami, who have missed the letter as well. This isn't even like the spirits being a Schrodinger's Cat, it's clearly "I suppose I'll get my chance another day.". :ultchrom:

That got me looking for an Octoling that isn't there, lol

Treasure...kinda wish we could get Gunstars Red and Blue (alt). Green would be a really fun boss for Smash.
Wish we could get Treasure anything but sadly just about everyone stopped paying attention to their characters for the most part.

Anyway, I'll be off, see you when Terry gets in sometime this month.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
You said it here once that you thought slime girls were underrated and underused. I thought that an example of a slime guy (which I believe is even rarer still) would be enough to pique your interest. Evidently I was wrong and you have bigger priorities...

The amount of things that didn't make it out of the Land series is staggering, which is understandable when the games were made to be as different as possible from the main console entries and it was still undergoing rapid growth. Had they not run into the snag of Luigi needing a comparable caddy to Mario's Peach in NES Open, she might have stayed there for good. In this way she is a lot like Waluigi in being used primarily to fill a gap in the roster, though since he started off as playable and a villain of sorts to boot, it seems more thought went into his personality and character. Kind of makes up for his grand total of 0 main game appearances.

If I were you, I would be advocating for a role-playing appearance. The lack of known depth in her personality is the main thing holding her back and you're unlikely to find much of it in sports or a game that takes place mainly from Mario's perspective.
Ah I didn't mean it like that. I am happy that there is a slime in a game that isn't just a sexy symble or enemy. I think thats cool. A slime guy in general is super rare and good to see too. I am just annoyed still how much Daisy gets the shaft. So don't take that the wrong way man. My Bad for not being clear.

Yeah, her getting a role in an RPG would ne good. Heck a game with the princesses have to save the men would be great too. Like Super princess peach, but all 3.

As for that leak... yeah looks like Doom guy and Geno are coming. I expected both of them. If Geno is coming though guys, this breaks the spirit rule, the 1 thing many people said gave shantae no chance. I see this as a win

Dukefire

Smash Master
Based on this, then the announcement video may come next week instead of this week. Just thinking about Nintendo's move for november with the crowd anxiously waiting for terry's arrival.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So has a mii costume associated with a new DLC character EVER come out before the DLC character themself?

You're telling me with Terry we get the Demon hat and Mallow before Doomguy/and or Geno? Also unless after both character reveals we get those mii costume reveals, something no showcase so far has done we wouldnt get the reveals BEFORE showing the characters.

Dukefire

Smash Master
So has a mii costume associated with a new DLC character EVER come out before the DLC character themself?

You're telling me with Terry we get the Demon hat and Mallow before Doomguy/and or Geno? Also unless after both character reveals we get those mii costume reveals, something no showcase so far has done we wouldnt get the reveals BEFORE showing the characters.
Well, we will find out when Nintendo is ready. They can't keep the crowd waiting with them already set for Terry's arrival.

Hopefully, you have a raincoat, because its going to get wet soon.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Interesting stuff for sure, but I wouldn't read too far into it. if these costume were real they would likely come with the characters, so if this person had them, why not show off the characters? Also modding a stationary hat model onto a character like the miis is very easy to do so this being a fake is well within the realm of possibilities.

It could be real, for sure, but there isn't anything in the video it's self that isn't easily modded, so there is no real point in believing it much.

zferolie

Smash Hero
from what I have heard modding mii costumes is very hard. Its not impossible, but unlikely.

As for the hats, I think if real this 100% confirms Geno is coming, but doesn't mean Doomguy is. Remember, we got Goemon last time and Sans with no fighter with them. Its possible we get a Doomguy and Cacodemon outfit on their one as mii costumes.

However there is no way Mallow is coming as just a hat without a Geno fighter.

Dukefire

Smash Master
from what I have heard modding mii costumes is very hard. Its not impossible, but unlikely.

As for the hats, I think if real this 100% confirms Geno is coming, but doesn't mean Doomguy is. Remember, we got Goemon last time and Sans with no fighter with them. Its possible we get a Doomguy and Cacodemon outfit on their one as mii costumes.

Of course, since Mario, Mallow and Geno make the 3 party system in SMRPG. Though, we don't know if Geno will take his original role of Mii Costume again like in Smash 4.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

But why would you choose the enemy and not Doomguy himself, especially when he would fit rather well as a gunner. And I don't think there has been a time in Smash series where an new franchise has gotten two costumes and not a fighter to go with them, so a Doomguy costume is likely not being hidden in this leak.

zferolie

Smash Hero
But why would you choose the enemy and not Doomguy himself, especially when he would fit rather well as a gunner. And I don't think there has been a time in Smash series where an new franchise has gotten two costumes and not a fighter to go with them, so a Doomguy costume is likely not being hidden in this leak.
There is always a first time. it could happen that we get 2 mii costumes from doom and thats it.

it just seems odd to see these 2 mii costumes at once. I really feel neither are coming this patch. if one does that means a character as a fighter is deconfirmed

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Something about the costumes don't strike me as official. Mallow is anorexic compared to how I envision that would go down. Cacodemon's eye is looking out to the right (its own left) and not where the Mii is facing. And there's a video now where there wasn't one before.

As for real chances, both Doom Eternal and Shantae and the Seven Sirens are getting strange release window spacing shenanigans. And Geno, well, we all know about the remix takedowns.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

Back in the Brawl and 4 days people made full Ridley models and mapped them to Charizrad animations. I can't see how taking an already existing model like a mii fighter and then altering the head to make it look like it was wearing an interchangeable hat and then putting that altered model back onto it's original animations would be much harder. If anything it would be easier.

That said, unless it was something impossible to fake or they had some way of proving it wasn't a mod, this should be taken with a large dose of salt.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Back in the Brawl and 4 days people made full Ridley models and mapped them to Charizrad animations. I can't see how taking an already existing model like a mii fighter and then altering the head to make it look like it was wearing an interchangeable hat and then putting that altered model back onto it's original animations would be much harder. If anything it would be easier.

That said, unless it was something impossible to fake or they had some way of proving it wasn't a mod, this should be taken with a large dose of salt.
Going to quote this:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Going to quote this:
But I'm not saying the made a model of a hat and then programmed it to fit on a mii head. I'm saying the took the model of a mii head and altered it to permanently have the desired hat as part of it and then put that revised head back on the rest of the mii model. You don;t have to worry about the head clipping out of the hat when it is all one attached model.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
But I'm not saying the made a model of a hat and then programmed it to fit on a mii head. I'm saying the took the model of a mii head and altered it to permanently have the desired hat as part of it and then put that revised head back on the rest of the mii model. You don;t have to worry about the head clipping out of the hat when it is all one attached model.
Thing is, these models don't exist anywhere else.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Wouldn’t that still increase the file size and cause the game to crash?

Apparently the Miis’ heads (and maybe all body parts, too, but this is just an assumption; saw the head thing in the Geno thread) are separate from the body due to being customizable, I guess.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I remain skeptical of this leak until proven true but if it’s true then geno got in while having a primary and support spirit from his game with a player icon in the base game.

And you know who else has those like geno?
BF5262F7-82B8-4CD9-92ED-A635D389F5D2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Wouldn’t that still increase the file size and cause the game to crash?

Apparently the Miis’ heads (and maybe all body parts, too, but this is just an assumption; saw the head thing in the Geno thread) are separate from the body due to being customizable, I guess.
I'm no programmer, but it could actually reduce the over all file size. Since a mii is customizable, when it goes into battle the game needs to load all those customized parts separately: Body model, customized face, body costume, head costume. What these gusy could have done was taken a mii design, face and costume, and then fixed it all together. instead of several pieces overlapping, it would be one solid piece with all covered up pieces removed. this would then be making a technically new model based on a mii but funtioning like any non customizable character would, So theoretically it's file size wouldn't take anything more than any other modded character would.

as for the models not existing anywhere else, same goes for most all the other mods people put into Project M. the best ones there were all models made from scratch by some fan. A non articulated head piece is well within the range of the coding Smash fans out there.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Whatever happens, the internet is going to go nuts for the final challenger. And what gets deconfirmed, boy its not going to end well. Like how we faced the feeling before with one a year ago.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
This is what I'm hoping for, that Geno gets confirmed and breaks this so called spirits are deconfirmed fan rule so Shantae's chances will skyrocket.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

*Sigh*

I’ve been telling people this literally all day long, but I suppose I will say it again

If Sakurai once called Doom the “father of FPS”, there is no way that he would settle for a couple of Mii costumes when given the opportunity.

And what exactly makes you think Geno wouldn’t be a Mii costume either, if what you said was hypothetically 100% true? (Which is highly unlikely considering Sakurais comments)

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I have my two cents on this leak. And no, I will not be doing my usual "oh this bad leak", because it's honestly one of the best leaks I've seen since the Ken Leak from a year ago.
As to why I believe this to be real at the moment? There may be a slight angle, yet the quality is fantastic for a photo. Every element that you can see is obvious and upfront and not just Gaussian Blur'd out of existence. This is honestly a leak I will be surprised if it wasn't true, because the quality of it really is top-of-the-line!

zferolie

Smash Hero
*Sigh*

I’ve been telling people this literally all day long, but I suppose I will say it again

If Sakurai once called Doom the “father of FPS”, there is no way that he would settle for a couple of Mii costumes when given the opportunity.

And what exactly makes you think Geno wouldn’t be a Mii costume either, if what you said was hypothetically 100% true? (Which is highly unlikely considering Sakurais comments)
It is very possible that geno is once again a costume and doomguy is the next with cacodemon as well. I was just saying th later as it heloed shantaes chances the most.

Yes i do think doom deserves to be in, doom is the father of all fps like sakurai said. I think he is very likely as well

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
It is very possible that geno is once again a costume
Well that'd be kind of a &#%@ move to take a costume out only to put it back way down the road later.

Best case scenario: Geno gets in, the spirit fan rule gets shattered, haters cry, and Shantae is Ret-2-Go at any time with nothing holding her back.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well that'd be kind of a &#%@ move to take a costume out only to put it back way down the road later.
I mean they have already done that tho. the whole Mii costume theroy was based on the fact that old costumes were left out of the game and then suddenly came back at earliest a half year later to coincide with DLC characters.

That said, this leak or no, I think Geno has a very good shot. There seem to be a lot of details lining up for him (and of course his arrival will officially open the doors for any other spirit)

As for Doomguy, I will certainly say he "deserves" in but I can't ever say I would want him in. But even if he did get in and this leak was real... It wouldn't be as disappointing as the leaks I have been seeing all throughout last night (don't worry, not Smash related)

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I mean they have already done that tho. the whole Mii costume theroy was based on the fact that old costumes were left out of the game and then suddenly came back at earliest a half year later to coincide with DLC characters.

That said, this leak or no, I think Geno has a very good shot. There seem to be a lot of details lining up for him (and of course his arrival will officially open the doors for any other spirit)

As for Doomguy, I will certainly say he "deserves" in but I can't ever say I would want him in. But even if he did get in and this leak was real... It wouldn't be as disappointing as the leaks I have been seeing all throughout last night (don't worry, not Smash related)
I've been thinking about how to work Doomslayer into Smash, and this is the game to do it since it's still trying to take itself seriously. We've got a bunch of dark and Spirit baddies roaming around in the second portion of WoL. This is the perfect venue for Doomslayer to come in with some kind of plasma rifle plus his own fist-to-face combat to mow down hordes of enemies.

Does it make sense for Doomslayer to be ripping and tearing through Dream Land or Moray Towers? No, of course not, but a tournament-esque challenge would be welcome compared to the measly mobs he encounters all the time.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, more people are agreeing that the Doom Slayer will be the final challenger for Fighters Pass then Geno. Again, lets hold the steam back for a little more time.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've been thinking about how to work Doomslayer into Smash, and this is the game to do it since it's still trying to take itself seriously. We've got a bunch of dark and Spirit baddies roaming around in the second portion of WoL. This is the perfect venue for Doomslayer to come in with some kind of plasma rifle plus his own fist-to-face combat to mow down hordes of enemies.

Does it make sense for Doomslayer to be ripping and tearing through Dream Land or Moray Towers? No, of course not, but a tournament-esque challenge would be welcome compared to the measly mobs he encounters all the time.
Doom Eternal looks set to give him navigational and mobility tools he'd otherwise sorely lack, and it'd be neat if he had personalized grab attacks depending on the type of fighter he uses then on.

And honestly, toning down his brutality to an extent could actually still be in character for him, as his murderous hatred is directed exclusively towards demons and those who associate with them.

Top Bottom