• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I chanced upon Shantae's last words in part 1, and this is what I think about them at the moment:

Shantae: "THIS IS THE WORST VACATION EVER!!!"

Luigi: "Hold my beer."
Bayonetta: No, hold MY beer.

The chaos gods be stealing her Christmas time in Bayo 2! CHRISTMAS! Not even Risky's that evil.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Bayonetta: No, hold MY beer.

The chaos gods be stealing her Christmas time in Bayo 2! CHRISTMAS! Not even Risky's that evil.
Eh, problem with that theory is Bayonetta enjoys killing angels and stuff too much to really say she's having a miserable time. Jeanne dying is pretty much the only thing putting a damper on her mood, plus she got to meet her mother (our half-genie would figuratively kill for that opportunity) and non-evil dad. We'll see if 3 opens on a holiday or vacation.

Luigi, during his visit to the Last Resort hotel, sees pretty much all of his friends captured except for Polterpup and spends the entire game doing something he hates: exploring spooky locations. And he has even better reason to be scared this time because his archnemesis King Boo is actively hunting him instead of background scheming and could strike at any moment. For crying out loud, he can die before the game even properly starts. That's how dire the situation is.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Eh, problem with that theory is Bayonetta enjoys killing angels and stuff too much to really say she's having a miserable time. Jeanne dying is pretty much the only thing putting a damper on her mood, plus she got to meet her mother (our half-genie would figuratively kill for that opportunity) and non-evil dad. We'll see if 3 opens on a holiday or vacation.

Luigi, during his visit to the Last Resort hotel, sees pretty much all of his friends captured except for Polterpup and spends the entire game doing something he hates: exploring spooky locations. And he has even better reason to be scared this time because his archnemesis King Boo is actively hunting him instead of background scheming and could strike at any moment. For crying out loud, he can die before the game even properly starts. That's how dire the situation is.
After his last defeat against the Poltergeist 5000, he wants to make sure Luigi doesn't have another chance to capture him with the Poltergeist G-00.

Pretty much Metroid Fusion situation as King Boo acting like the Sa-X

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
So, it's safe to say Shantae and Luigi have it bad with their vacations?
inb4 shantae defeats king boo with genie magic and friendship while luigi turns into a pretty girl to save the world from whatever is kidnapping half-genies
You know mario did have a vacation in Sunshine. But of course it was plagued by Bowser Jr's actions as Shadow Mario.

Heroes truly can never a great vacation without something following them

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm starting to become a little concerned that Seven Sirens won't be released at the end of the year. WayForward is awfully quiet about giving details on a game that's supposed to be approaching soon.

Confirmation of a physical release would be much appreciated, too.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
I'm starting to become a little concerned that Seven Sirens won't be released at the end of the year. WayForward is awfully quiet about giving details on a game that's supposed to be approaching soon.

Yeah I'm starting to believe it maybe a early 2020 release probably.
Edit: Plus there hasn't been a huge push to advertise the game either.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

When it releases is still up in the air, but I am all but positive that a physical release will be handles by Limited Run Games. A while back they were showing a bunch of Shantae 5 and River City Girls merch at one of their booths, the merch all looked like the kind of stuff that they put in their limited edition boxes, and sure enough a short while later we found out that River City Girls were getting their physical release through them. Seven Sirens will almost certainly be a Limited Run Games release.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
that leak I posted some pages back around a week or so ago, it mentioned theres a reason Sirens still doesn't have a release date mostly. This current situation lines up with it kinda. We still have no confirmation of a delay as well or a 2020 release after all. So perhaps they are waiting to reveal info due to waiting for something else.

Atleast, thats what I like to think.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
In any case, it looks like the Smash YouTube page updated with a private video, so we are likely getting an overview of Terry pretty soon which could come with a reveal for #5

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, I predict that the next Nintendo Direct with info on terry and the final challenger on the Fighters Pass might appear on the 2nd or 3rd week of November. Though I would leave some room for changes since Nintendo and Sakurai's moves might appear from nowhere.
Screenshot_20191022-091711_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Again, I predict that the next Nintendo Direct with info on terry and the final challenger on the Fighters Pass might appear on the 2nd or 3rd week of November. Though I would leave some room for changes since Nintendo and Sakurai's moves might appear from nowhere.
I'm hoping it's the first week since the second week would be Pokemon release week and the third week is just far away and would make me sad lol

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I'm hoping it's the first week since the second week would be Pokemon release week and the third week is just far away and would make me sad lol
Actually I came across info that 7/11's in Japan will be taking down promotional stuff on Nov. 3? I might have info wrong but Nov 3 is a certainty. This same kind of event happened right as Joker was about to debut and Hero and Banjo&Kazooie. We liekly expect Terry to drop AFTER Nov.3 and quite soon after even.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Actually I came across info that 7/11's in Japan will be taking down promotional stuff on Nov. 3? I might have info wrong but Nov 3 is a certainty. This same kind of event happened right as Joker was about to debut and Hero and Banjo&Kazooie. We liekly expect Terry to drop AFTER Nov.3 and quite soon after even.
Sweet, maybe it'll be like the 6th or 7th then.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Alright, one more time for me, who do you think might be the Final Challenger for the Fighters Pass?

Make sure to expect the unexpected since we know how Sakurai and the Smash Team work.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Alright, one more time for me, who do you think might be the Final Challenger for the Fighters Pass?

Make sure to expect the unexpected since we know how Sakurai and the Smash Team work.
Realistically? Well, I said this in the Reimu thread, but if we're going in under the assumption that they only had the one pass planned initially and additional DLC was determined later, I think all FP characters are from major companies.

My guesses are maybe a capcom character like Jill or Dante and maybe KOS-MOS like that one thing said since she's a Bamco poster girl (who hasn't gotten another character yet) and for Monolith, who has helped with a ton of games and does the Xenoblade games.

But since I honestly don't know lol, I'm just gonna guess Bamco or Capcom character.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

These days I see Ajna as the "Sakurai pick", Reiji as the obscure-but-still-important pick and a neck-and-neck between Monster Hunter and Shantae as most likely.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

Well, most the famous leakers are saying the 5th is definitely NOT Hayabusa or Crash, so I'm not ecpecting either of them (maybe later, but not next)

A lot of rumors are buzzing around about Geno, which would at least be a character I find interesting, and would also squash the "Spirits deconfirm" bunk going around. Also Geno getting added would be interesting for us, since Geno (like our girl) was a spirit who got a fighter tag. However, I could see Geno not happening because of Square. Still there are a lot of things in his favor, the alleged take downs of videos with Mario RPG music, his absent Mii costume, all the rumors around about him... I could really see it being Geno.

Aside from Mr Puppet Pants... Shantae certainly has a chance. The only things really holding her back are the same holding back Geno, so if he's got such a strong chance then so does she, her chance is lessened just slightly in that there haven't been any prevelant leaks/rumors about her, but still anything could happen.

Beyond them... I don't really know. Most the ones that get a lot of buzz just don't seem that likely to me, all for different reasons. So it's possible that number 5 will be a character like Terry, one that no one was really talking about or expecting (and one that is received with mixed at best reception by fans)

Now, I want to doubt that, simply because you thin they would want to finish the fighter's pass off with a bang. However, they didn't finish the base roster reveal with a bang, and the end of the fighter pass is no longer the end of DLC. SO really, they might be ok with number 5 being more niche since they know they have more chances to build up hype (and maybe they want to save the most hype characters for after, since those characters won't be part of a pass and they will players will need to want them specifically to pay for them unlike this first round of DLC.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Probably no one we'll see coming.

In that case until Vergeben says otherwise I'll bet on someone like Agumon.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
In that event, based on things we've seen and assuming that all the weird picks were "unloaded" in FP1, I'm thinking:
FP1-5 could be Lloyd or Shantae, and
DLC1 or FP2-1 could be Monster Hunter or Geno.

And if they do a one-year announcement ala Joker, you can bet it'll be Monster Hunter.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Smash Hype is on fire for November as its moving in just a couple days away. Are you excited? Because I'm not.
Really, I'm just still trying to contain my hype from leaking.
Screenshot_20191024-194618_YouTube.jpg

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Smash Hype is on fire for November as its moving in just a couple days away. Are you excited? Because I'm not.
Really, I'm just still trying to contain my hype from leaking.
Well, the good news is that we're now past the waiting point on any conceivable "pattern." A post-Luigi's Mansion Direct would bring with it some large, looming releases or updates (aside from Smash, of course).

And between the recent Tales Of icon/logo trademark, the Geno Smash remixes being taken down, and the impending MMBN/RockmanEXE mobile game news *combined with* all of the above Mii Outfits being AWOL...lord, anything could happen.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, the good news is that we're now past the waiting point on any conceivable "pattern." A post-Luigi's Mansion Direct would bring with it some large, looming releases or updates (aside from Smash, of course).

And between the recent Tales Of icon/logo trademark, the Geno Smash remixes being taken down, and the impending MMBN/RockmanEXE mobile game news *combined with* all of the above Mii Outfits being AWOL...lord, anything could happen.
Well, be prepared of whoever is next will be the hot topic of both praise and salt in many communities.
Screenshot_20190530-214447_YouTube.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
After reading reviews relentlessly dressing down SMB Banana Blitz in favour of 1 and 2, do any of you fear a potential reality of one title in a series being so good that nothing afterwards can truly measure up to it, and the series eventually goes into life support with nothing ever being developed for it aside from rereleases of the "best" entry(ies) forever, and fans actually being OK with that?

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
After reading reviews relentlessly dressing down SMB Banana Blitz in favour of 1 and 2, do any of you fear a potential reality of one title in a series being so good that nothing afterwards can truly measure up to it, and the series eventually goes into life support with nothing ever being developed for it aside from rereleases of the "best" entry(ies) forever, and fans actually being OK with that?
Aside from being a relative judgment, I think it definitively can happen. I couldn't tell you what games those would be. Maybe something like Street Fighter that can only change or vary so much before getting into questionable additions, or, Half-Life with a hype that probably won't be lived up to.

I say I can't think of many of them, because my head buzzes daily with ideas on how to improve upon Star Fox 64, Kirby Superstar/Ultra, SMRPG, TMNTIV, Time Crisis, MMBN, Metal Combat, Sonic 2D or 3D done right, properly merging the traditional LoZ formula and BotW, the tweaks that Super Mario Odyssey needed, etc.

So, yes, it could happen, but that would be rare.

Thankfully, Shantae as a franchise has plenty of room to grow!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Aside from being a relative judgment, I think it definitively can happen. I couldn't tell you what games those would be. Maybe something like Street Fighter that can only change or vary so much before getting into questionable additions, or, Half-Life with a hype that probably won't be lived up to.

I say I can't think of many of them, because my head buzzes daily with ideas on how to improve upon Star Fox 64, Kirby Superstar/Ultra, SMRPG, TMNTIV, Time Crisis, MMBN, Metal Combat, Sonic 2D or 3D done right, properly merging the traditional LoZ formula and BotW, the tweaks that Super Mario Odyssey needed, etc.

So, yes, it could happen, but that would be rare.

Thankfully, Shantae as a franchise has plenty of room to grow!
Well, we are mainly talking about a game in these boards that this fate could easily befall on... though given the very special circumstances, maybe that's not such a bad thing.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Well, we are mainly talking about a game in these boards that this fate could easily befall on... though given the very special circumstances, maybe that's not such a bad thing.
As far as Shantae goes, I wouldn't want GBC, SatPC, or even SatSS to be considered "peak." Yes, it's a Metroidvania, so it won't have the same replayability. Yes, it's a collectathon tied to the progression, so that's going to hamper the length possibilities/replay balance. But that can be refined and rebalanced to be more meaningful to Shantae herself and the story while increasing your mobility and attack power to the point where it's as fun as plowing through, say, the intro stage of Megaman Zero 3 (which is wildly entertaining). People responded positively to this in SatPC, and I think we're seeing attempts at this already with the Newt.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
As far as Shantae goes, I wouldn't want GBC, SatPC, or even SatSS to be considered "peak." Yes, it's a Metroidvania, so it won't have the same replayability. Yes, it's a collectathon tied to the progression, so that's going to hamper the length possibilities/replay balance. But that can be refined and rebalanced to be more meaningful to Shantae herself and the story while increasing your mobility and attack power to the point where it's as fun as plowing through, say, the intro stage of Megaman Zero 3 (which is wildly entertaining). People responded positively to this in SatPC, and I think we're seeing attempts at this already with the Newt.
I meant Smash Ultimate. That's why I said "boards", not "threads".

D

Deleted member

Realistically? Well, I said this in the Reimu thread, but if we're going in under the assumption that they only had the one pass planned initially and additional DLC was determined later, I think all FP characters are from major companies.

My guesses are maybe a capcom character like Jill or Dante and maybe KOS-MOS like that one thing said since she's a Bamco poster girl (who hasn't gotten another character yet) and for Monolith, who has helped with a ton of games and does the Xenoblade games.

But since I honestly don't know lol, I'm just gonna guess Bamco or Capcom character.
idk about her I doubt kos-mos would make it in before Someone big from tales tekken or digimon. And 3 jrpgs in the same pass feels unlikely Not saying she has no chance, I’m just saying it’s unlikely

as for cp5 I’m expecting it to be someone unexpected that have never been mentioned in last 2 weeks/fake leaks

Last edited by a moderator:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
It hurts just looking at this. Why is this cute?!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Cruiser

Smash Rookie

Hi guys! I am new to this thread but have supported Shantae since Smash 4. I just got this account as well.
Also, I humbly believe that the final challenger will be KOS-MOS, the queen from Xenosaga as a love letter to Monolith Soft and Namco Bandai's development with smash these past few years. I frequent the KOS-MOS thread here and am a huge fan of the original trilogy.
My most wanted for Ultimate was no joke: Joker, Shantae, KOS-MOS, and then Doom Slayer. I never expected Joker even I prayed. KOS-MOS keeps being put to the west side too. (Sorry for spamming this post with KOS-MOS support in a Shantae DLC thread) Have a good day fellas! :ultjoker:

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hi guys! I am new to this thread but have supported Shantae since Smash 4. I just got this account as well.
Also, I humly beliece that the final challenger will be KOS-MOS, the queen from Xenosaga as a love letter to Monolith Soft and Namco Bandai's development with smash these past few years. I frequent the KOS-MOS thread here and am a huge fan of the original trilogy.
My most wanted for Ultimate was no joke: Joker, Shantae, KOS-MOS, and then Doom Slayer. I never expected Joker even I prayed. KOS-MOS keeps being put to the west side too. (Sorry for spamming this post with KOS-MOS support in a Shantae DLC thread) Have a good day fellas! :ultjoker:
I'll believe in KOS-MOS the day an actual Xenosaga game gets released on a Nintendo console. Or at least a new entry in that series being announced. Not saying it's impossible, but promoting a character a lot isn't equivalent to the series, after all. I can't get enough of Selvaria Bles for example, but everything I hear about the story in Valkyria Chronicles pretty much means I will never be able to stomach playing her game.

Top Bottom