• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I'll believe in KOS-MOS the day an actual Xenosaga game gets released on a Nintendo console. Or at least a new entry in that series being announced. Not saying it's impossible, but promoting a character a lot isn't equivalent to the series, after all. I can't get enough of Selvaria Bles for example, but everything I hear about the story in Valkyria Chronicles pretty much means I will never be able to stomach playing her game.
Honestly, I can almost see this happening with the tie to Chronicles. If it did, though, I can imagine that Sakurai would give her a major costume overhaul. (And might even potentially be a Bonus Character for FP2, because of such.)

EDIT:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4StyTOpz5f/?igshid=1tsiynhicrbla
So this post of Daisy and Shantae wearing each other's outfits just got InstaNinja'd from all tags. Interesting.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
A update, the smash website for Terry's release on November 2019 has been changed to Coming Soon (not for mobile version of the site). Just remember to keep a doubt on the back of your mind since we don't really know when Terry and the last FP1 challenger will show up to wrap up 2019 and start 2020.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Honestly, I can almost see this happening with the tie to Chronicles. If it did, though, I can imagine that Sakurai would give her a major costume overhaul. (And might even potentially be a Bonus Character for FP2, because of such.)

EDIT:
So this post of Daisy and Shantae wearing each other's outfits just got InstaNinja'd from all tags. Interesting.
Huh.

Daisy actually looks pretty great in Shantae's attire.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Happy Halloween everyone!!!

Anyway what is new on the rumor side of things?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

EDIT:
What do you mean Instaninja'd?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is the image for what KingBowser86 brought up.
Artist: Nin10ja
gameboy_girls_by_nin10ja_ddjfd6h-pre.jpg

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Hello there Rottytops

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is one more shantae artwork before halloween is over.
Artist: darioclaws

inktober_31_newcomer_i_want_for_smash__shantae_by_darioclaws_ddjg5ed-pre.jpg

Dukefire

Smash Master
I........can't.......hold........it. But I must continue for a little longer for an announcement to appear.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys So remember one of milks claims saying the female and Nakouru share features?

From the smash wikia:
Two days later, he made a tweet claiming that Mr. H doesn't know if the female character is Nakoruru or not and later claimed that they both share features that are common with each other.

Of course the things they have in common to you have long hair and involve a bird. But when I was on google images looking for more similarity’s...
69C0AE29-DC56-48E6-AD71-10BFD0E7E98D.jpeg

This is one of her costumes from snk heroines tag team frenzy which released last year and it’s called genie

Last edited by a moderator:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Hey guys So remember one of milks claims saying the female and Nakouru share features?

From the smash wikia:
Two days later, he made a tweet claiming that Mr. H doesn't know if the female character is Nakoruru or not and later claimed that they both share features that are common with each other.

Of course the things they have in common to you have long hair and involve a bird. But when I was on google images looking for more similarity’s...
View attachment 244393
This is one of her costumes from snk heroines tag team frenzy which released last year and it’s called genie
Holy ****, I can see how someone might mistake a Shantae Silhouette for Nakoruru if THIS was something they were more familiar with.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
That being said, wasn't she only teased in the Terry Bogard trailer? Actually, the interesting thing is that she's often paired up with Terry Bogard regarding marketing and campaigns.
That being said, Shantae, design wise compared to Bedlah Nakoruru, still is pretty different enough that similarities are unlikely to pop up. But the similarities that are there are uncanny in how similar they are.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Still though going by the possible leak, one could assume since the info stated it was an unfinished untextured model that all the extra details that would clearly show its not Nakoruru wouldnt be there and one might think "this looks like Nakoruru's costume from the SNK game" due to having no other reference point.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Though could she likely be not on the list until a later date, considering how she was referenced by Sakurai during the Terry Bogard trailer? Because it feels far too soon to include a second SNK rep right after Terry was introduced. This is just opinion, but I feel the gun's spent for now.

That being said, I'm pretty sure there's a couple of Bedlah wearing characters. Shantae just happens to have one more unique than the others, without all the wrinkles and the golden hoops she has on her waist. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I also wanna point out that the 5th fighter who will be the female is from a franchise already represented

also from the smash wikia:
Sometime later in 2019, Milk-BOSATU made another tweet claiming that the 5th fighters pass fighter would be from a franchise that is already represented in the Super Smash Bros. series.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Why is Risky Mode so much more fun than playing as Shantae in HGH?

I know it's not very likely to happen, but I'd love to see Risky as a playable character again in Seven Sirens.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

I know it's not very likely to happen, but I'd love to see Risky as a playable character again in Seven Sirens.
News flash! It turns out stopping constantly to switch tools needed to progress is a pace-killer! The gear itself isn't what makes it great, it's how it's used. Like it or not, the old dance-to-transform mechanic is archaic and outdated now, which Seven Sirens is taking to heart. This is why I advocate for a middleground approach in dancing to shift moves instead of all-out transformations for Smash: best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
For me, what's fun about it is using the pirate gear. I replayed that mode not too long ago and I still like it more than the other modes.
I sure wish she would be playable.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Its still a wish, but keep holding on till the end of Smash DLC or if the wish comes true. The battle isn't over until all invitations are done being handed out.
Artist: towelsrrandom
shantae_in_super_smash_bros__by_towelsrrandom_ddjj8bj-pre.jpg

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
I also wanna point out that the 5th fighter who will be the female is from a franchise already represented

also from the smash wikia:
Sometime later in 2019, Milk-BOSATU made another tweet claiming that the 5th fighters pass fighter would be from a franchise that is already represented in the Super Smash Bros. series.
Did he ever elaborate on whether the franchise in question is a series that's represented by both fighters and spirits or just spirits? If it's the former, the fifth Fighter's Pass fighter can't be Shantae.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Did he ever elaborate on whether the franchise in question is a series that's represented by both fighters and spirits or just spirits? If it's the former, the fifth Fighter's Pass fighter can't be Shantae.
Since the fighters pass is all 3rd party and come from new game worlds not represented with a fighter, then pretty much just spirits

also the dlc spirits category's have 2 coming soon tabs and once terry fills one in then we’re getting another new game world with spirits for #5

Last edited by a moderator:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
that would be cool, though part of me is bummed by gooigi as it took away a chance for Daisy to be in the game helping out as player 2 instead.
In a series where Mario characters lack their typical abilities, you're going to have some serious explaining to do in order to convince me she would make for more compelling puzzles than Gooigi currently does. He's far from the superficial add-on that was his trial run in 3DS Luigi's Mansion.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
In a series where Mario characters lack their typical abilities, you're going to have some serious explaining to do in order to convince me she would make for more compelling puzzles than Gooigi currently does. He's far from the superficial add-on that was his trial run in 3DS Luigi's Mansion.
It actually would have made for a more believable opening if she had been in the same room as Luigi, and she and Luigi are both overcoming these tasks together. Gooigi could still have been done.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It actually would have made for a more believable opening if she had been in the same room as Luigi, and she and Luigi are both overcoming these tasks together. Gooigi could still have been done.
Sleeping together. In a Mario game. Yeah, that seems likely.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Sleeping together. In a Mario game. Yeah, that seems likely.
Could be a detached room or two beds. Polterpup hopping over to Daisy's and her being reluctant but warming up as they went through the intro actually seems better. All I know is, if they don't have the chutzpah to put Mario and Peach together, then the duo that has giant gold statues of them together (MKWii) should have more advancement than we've seen.

zferolie

Smash Hero
yeah that Daisy gets no on screen love is what bugs me the most. They push Luigi and Daisy harfd in the side games but she is no where to be found

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Right, so don't talk about Luigi-related things here if you don't want Daisy shoved in your face. Message recceived.

Though the whole Luigi/Daisy shipping seems to have fallen to the wayside, even in spin-offs these days.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Right, so don't talk about Luigi-related things here if you don't want Daisy shoved in your face. Message recceived.

Though the whole Luigi/Daisy shipping seems to have fallen to the wayside, even in spin-offs these days.
I haven't played Mario Kart Tour, but yes, this seems to be the case in all of the other spinoffs. (Daisy sure has a lot of Kart tracks!)

zferolie

Smash Hero

Sorry, i didnt mean to upset you. I am just mad for awhile how little love daisy gets in the main games. She has been around since the 80s but only has 1 main game she is in...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Sorry, i didnt mean to upset you. I am just mad for awhile how little love daisy gets in the main games. She has been around since the 80s but only has 1 main game she is in...
You said it here once that you thought slime girls were underrated and underused. I thought that an example of a slime guy (which I believe is even rarer still) would be enough to pique your interest. Evidently I was wrong and you have bigger priorities...

The amount of things that didn't make it out of the Land series is staggering, which is understandable when the games were made to be as different as possible from the main console entries and it was still undergoing rapid growth. Had they not run into the snag of Luigi needing a comparable caddy to Mario's Peach in NES Open, she might have stayed there for good. In this way she is a lot like Waluigi in being used primarily to fill a gap in the roster, though since he started off as playable and a villain of sorts to boot, it seems more thought went into his personality and character. Kind of makes up for his grand total of 0 main game appearances.

If I were you, I would be advocating for a role-playing appearance. The lack of known depth in her personality is the main thing holding her back and you're unlikely to find much of it in sports or a game that takes place mainly from Mario's perspective.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
You know who Daisy oughta hang with? Shantae! Whether in a Smash trailer or for a new Nintendo exclusive crossover indie like Cadence of Hyrule!

Top Bottom