• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
You guys...its part 1 FOR Apple Arcade. its a service unlike the consoles the game will come on.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah, if the costume came out by itself I could almost buy the possibility of an Undertale character. However it released with Undertale's most popular song and since part of the value of a new character is the music that comes with them, I don;t see why they would sell the games biggest hit separate from the character.

Also, the mechanics of Frisk just doesn't work for a fighting game. The whole point of the game is that you can win being peaceful and making friend, or being violent and killing everyone. In Smash you would only be representing half of who Frisk as a character is and it would be the half that most fans don't choose to play as. Sans was really Undertale's only chance as a fighter and even he didn't see like a good fit since his battle is a huge spoiler for the twist in his character.

No, I'm sorry to say, but anyone who still thinks we have an Undertale rep coming after the Sans costume reveal is just delusional.
Yeah no way fisk could work in a fighting game at all.

Did wayforward just pull off a smash bros style shadowdrop?
As others have said, it seems this is an apple.arcade special situation i guess? Hopefully the rest of us dont need to wait long

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
I'm confused. So is Apple (*hisss* goddamn I hate apple but that's a story for another time) Arcade going to be getting it over time? Will they have the full game before, at the same time, or after everyone else? If they are getting segments ahead of time, will I have to be ducking Shantae and the Seven Sirens discourse to avoid spoilers, or will Wayforward ensure they don't get the full game (or at least the big plot important chunks towards the latter half) before everyone else has a chance to play?

zferolie

Smash Hero
So in that video i mentioned before with Rodgers base i was so bothered by just how little then talked about indie games because his huge hard on and bias to undertale. Its sad. Indies are more then just undertale jesus christ. I mean i do think people expand on undertales popularity too much. I feel yes its good but this massive only due to memes(ness is sans the biggest one)

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I'm confused. So is Apple (*hisss* goddamn I hate apple but that's a story for another time) Arcade going to be getting it over time? Will they have the full game before, at the same time, or after everyone else? If they are getting segments ahead of time, will I have to be ducking Shantae and the Seven Sirens discourse to avoid spoilers, or will Wayforward ensure they don't get the full game (or at least the big plot important chunks towards the latter half) before everyone else has a chance to play?
It's hard to say, clearly Apple has paid them for some limited exclusivity (remember how the game was basically revealed during the Apple Arcade announcement?) Anyway, It will be released as a whole on other systems I'm sure and it won't play episodically. These "parts" are likely just stopping you after a certain plot point. Since Apple Arcade is a subscription service it's pretty clever on Apple to arrange this. That way you can't sign up for a month and play all the games you care about before canceling your subscription.

Anyway, I personally am ready to dodge spoilers since the Physical release of Seven Sirens is almost certainly going to be handled by Limited run games, so I likely won't get to play the game a month or two after it releases digitally.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Mobile on Android device.

Right now, people while scratching the surface of speculation, there is yet the real truth to show itself regarding bias and/or troll for breaking people's hopes for reactions.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Sometimes I hate the modern gaming world.

Having a game be a "Episodic timed exclusivity subscription service" game is really dumb.

They only thing that's keeping me from getting really mad about it is we are still gonna get a proper release. (Even as I grumble that I have to wait)

pretty dumb imo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As we all know, WF has to make ends meet to afford money to stay afloat and fund their original productions. Even if they have to resort to this service.

Also, Limited Run Games will finally publish a Shantae game that's not an older entry for the first time.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's hard to say, clearly Apple has paid them for some limited exclusivity (remember how the game was basically revealed during the Apple Arcade announcement?) Anyway, It will be released as a whole on other systems I'm sure and it won't play episodically. These "parts" are likely just stopping you after a certain plot point. Since Apple Arcade is a subscription service it's pretty clever on Apple to arrange this. That way you can't sign up for a month and play all the games you care about before canceling your subscription.

Anyway, I personally am ready to dodge spoilers since the Physical release of Seven Sirens is almost certainly going to be handled by Limited run games, so I likely won't get to play the game a month or two after it releases digitally.
It's pretty much like the demos for Monster Hunter Stories and Dragon Quest XI S that stop you at a certain point, but let you keep progress for the full game.

As we all know, WF has to make ends meet to afford money to stay afloat and fund their original productions. Even if they have to resort to this service.

Also, Limited Run Games will finally publish a Shantae game that's not an older entry for the first time.
Yeah, but you'd think Wayforward were selling their soul to the devil with the way some users here are reacting.

I've spent posts here gushing about exclusivity on Shantae titles when they were on Nintendo consoles, so I'm not about to make a hypocrite out of myself bemoaning it happening somewhere else. You mess with one kind of exclusivity, you mess with them all. Regardless of what you think of them, Apple saw quality and an opportunity, and they could have done a lot worse with it *cough* EA *cough*. Plus, shouldn't we at least give this Arcade a fair shot before dismissing it out of hand?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And it's not even the first time Shantae got on an Apple product, let alone mobile phones: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/iphone/150144-watch-quest-heroes-of-time

I will say though, I'm much more bothered about the key art. Filin is the only half-genie (if she's indeed one) to not be on there. What even is the deal with her?

Also, WF did announce another game for the said service, a run n gun affair. Seems to have the Contra 4 staff on it.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Let's all get are bearings straight. I highly doubt that, at this current time and space, WayForward's going way forward on episodic releases. With regards to games like DuckTales Remastered and the Shantae series, let alone the Mighty Switch Force series and before then, they may be making enough for them to comfortably stay afloat. This will likely be an Epic Games-type form, where Seven Sirens (Part 1) will be on a certain platform while the rest trickles down (in our cases, "trickle down" will mean the full game and not the episodic parts, though that could be a Steam demo as well). Remember as well, even back in the 2000's, despite the then-standards of just disregarding video games as children's playthings and the word "indie" wouldn't take off until the next decade, they still survived until they were strong enough to throw megaton punches in the forms of Risky's Revenge, Pirate's Curse, among other games of similar quality and caliber. So I'm certain they're doing well enough that they can take a few hits, just not a massive hit like Seven Sirens only selling 2000-ish units.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
From what I've gathered following members of Wayforward on Twitter, they are very keen on making something fresh and original that pushes the bounds of game design. Vitamin Connection is a great example of this. Developing for Apple Arcade just seems to be another extension of this. James Montagna, a veteran Director at WF and someone who does game design for the Shantae series, has spoken on numerous occasions that he'd love to develop games for various odd platforms. Tesla is one example that I remember off the top of my head (Yes, the car). I'm sure they're releasing this on Apple Arcade first because they were paid money to do so, but it's not going to be the definitive version of the game. They're not trying to ostracize us, they're not changing their style, and they're definitely not going to abridge the overall experience just to reach a new audience. I have faith in them.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Lets not stress on something we don't know yet. For now, we wait.

Also, here is a shantae artwork for tonight.
Artist: JaysonBlade
shantae_lucina_by_jaysonblade_ddggf56-pre.jpg

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Man that new video from commonwealth realm just bugged me. 10 seconds in rodgers base just says shantae has no shot and the only indie that will be playable is Frisk. Claims shantae is fitting as a spirit for her level of relevence.

The frick rodgers base?!
"Shantae: Nope! Spirit; no chance.
Bandana Dee: Yeah. I can see Sakurai putting him in."

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder how many episodes they'll release before the full version is out. Hopefully we don't have to wait for all 7 sirens individually.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, a few different items, first, the Milk-Bosatsu topic. I saw this being mentioned on the Reimu thread:

As stated, Milk-Bosatsu is probably fake. The story straight up doesn't add up. His source saw this character Last November/December in a way that they couldn't tell who it was. At the very least, that suggests a textureless model. Back then, Sakurai only stated that Characters 1, 2 and 3 were being developed. So the only way Milk's claim makes any sense is if the supposed character is Kasumi from Persona 5 and She was indeed planned as an alt for Joker before it ultimately got scrapped.
So odds are that the next character wouldn't be Reimu, Shantae or anyone remotely similar, if all of this is accurate, which seems very possible.

Also, for those who think 2B has equal chances to get in as a female character:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ted_to_nintendo_switch_please_ask_square_enix

The ball is entirely on Square's court, and so far they don't appear to have planned to port Nier Automata. Lord knows when they'll do it, a year from now?

From what I've gathered following members of Wayforward on Twitter, they are very keen on making something fresh and original that pushes the bounds of game design. Vitamin Connection is a great example of this. Developing for Apple Arcade just seems to be another extension of this. James Montagna, a veteran Director at WF and someone who does game design for the Shantae series, has spoken on numerous occasions that he'd love to develop games for various odd platforms. Tesla is one example that I remember off the top of my head (Yes, the car). I'm sure they're releasing this on Apple Arcade first because they were paid money to do so, but it's not going to be the definitive version of the game. They're not trying to ostracize us, they're not changing their style, and they're definitely not going to abridge the overall experience just to reach a new audience. I have faith in them.
Given that, it's no wonder why Cat Girl Without Salad was on the Humble Bundle, of all things. Wouldn't surprise me to see them develop for the Intellivision Amico (which only has Earthworm Jim 3 planned as a killer app).

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
"Shantae: Nope! Spirit; no chance.
The looks of horror on their faces whenever Nintendo announces the Spirit Ballot. Vote for a chance to bring a character back from the dead. There has to be one. You'd have to be insane to pass up that opportunity.

Also, here is a shantae artwork for tonight.
Artist: JaysonBlade
Look at Lucina, she is Shantae. Now back to me. Now back to Lucina.

She is now a cat.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So odds are that the next character wouldn't be Reimu, Shantae or anyone remotely similar, if all of this is accurate, which seems very possible.
Actually, the MIlk Leak being fake (or false info based on seeing an untextured Kasumi model) doesn't mean it isn't any of those characters, it only means that what they reported wasn't true. A false leak can still claim a character who is actually in. There were dozens of false leaks who claimed certain characters were in (who ended up being in) tho the leaker themselves didn't have any actual inside info and just made a lucky guess.

Remember that guy who said he had gotten an early build of the game and that Richter was in as well as Gardevoir with a Gothitelle echo?

So Milk being wrong or a liar doesn't take away chances from any character, it only open up chances for others.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wonder how many episodes they'll release before the full version is out. Hopefully we don't have to wait for all 7 sirens individually.
I don't think we'll need to worry. It'll be better than waiting 4 years to find out what happened after Risky's Revenge.

Actually, the MIlk Leak being fake (or false info based on seeing an untextured Kasumi model) doesn't mean it isn't any of those characters, it only means that what they reported wasn't true. A false leak can still claim a character who is actually in. There were dozens of false leaks who claimed certain characters were in (who ended up being in) tho the leaker themselves didn't have any actual inside info and just made a lucky guess.

Remember that guy who said he had gotten an early build of the game and that Richter was in as well as Gardevoir with a Gothitelle echo?

So Milk being wrong or a liar doesn't take away chances from any character, it only open up chances for others.
In any case, if they are on the table, they probably won't be person number 5. Number 5 could be anyone, just not necessarily female, is what I'm saying, is all.

My hunch is that it'll be someone that's not necessarily demanded and be more on the esoteric side of things. Otherwise, they wouldn't have announced further DLC so early (especially seeing as Terry's gotten similar reception as Kencineroar).

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
In any case, if they are on the table, they probably won't be person number 5. Number 5 could be anyone, just not necessarily female, is what I'm saying, is all.
True, but I would say the odds of #5 being female is more likely. People have been pretty vocal about how disappointing it is that the only Female DLC character we have gotten was a bird who was half of a characters moveset.

Further, Smash games have always been criticized for being too far leaning on male fighters (which they clearly took into consideration with with 4) so when it came to picking 5 characters for DLC they were likely considering genders. Let's put it this way, I would be greatly surprised if the 5th came around and it was another dude.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
True, but I would say the odds of #5 being female is more likely. People have been pretty vocal about how disappointing it is that the only Female DLC character we have gotten was a bird who was half of a characters moveset.

Further, Smash games have always been criticized for being too far leaning on male fighters (which they clearly took into consideration with with 4) so when it came to picking 5 characters for DLC they were likely considering genders. Let's put it this way, I would be greatly surprised if the 5th came around and it was another dude.
Yeah, although the fan demand for dudes hasn't dropped much either, even during the ballot. Let's remain on guard, just in case.

In the meantime, when do you figure the full version of SSS will be out? Doesn't seem very far to me.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
With "episode 1" releasing for Apple Arcade soon, I would imagine the game is probably mostly if not all done, which would suggest it releasing soon. However Apple has clearly made a deal with WF to get an earlier release. So if Apple is using an episodic approach to keep people subscribed, I can't imagine they would let WF release the entire game on consoles a month or so later... I dunno, it's really hard to call with so many parties involved all with their own interests...

WF has never changed the release window from 2019, however they could be counting the release of the first episode on AA as the release...

I will say that if we don't hear something within a month from now, it probably won't be releasing on consoles in 2019. I mean, On the eshop you need to make high sales right away to stay on the "best selling page" before you get taken off the new release page. After that visibility for people looking for something to by drops off considerably. So I imagine they would want to let their fan base know ahead of time when they can buy their game. Telling everyone a week prior right in holiday season where a lot of games are competing for visibility wouldn't be the wisest move.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Am I the only one who finds it odd that the level based half genie hero was released all at once while the metroidvania Seven Sierens is episodic?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly guys, I wish there was more fan demand for female characters as I really would love to see Krystal, Dixie Kong, Shantae, Tron Bonne, Chun-Li, Risky Boots, Medusa, Ayumi Tachibana, Lip, and Captain Syrup all in Smash someday.

I guess there isn't more demand for female characters because a certain crowd of people think almost everyone or at least the bandwagoners want said female character for the sex appeal.

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I guess there isn't more demand for female characters because a certain crowd of people think almost everyone or at least the bandwagoners want said female character for the sex appeal.
Because, apparently, wanting a female character is only permissible if you're a female.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Because, apparently, wanting a female character is only permissible if you're a female.
To me that is just a bunch of haters excuse to writing off a bunch of characters they don't want in favor of their own who they think deserves a slot more.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I’d assume the console versions would have the full game while the episodic release would only apply for Apple Arcade as they probably wanted that one out early together with the release of the platform.

But then again, what do I know. I’m just waiting for the Switch version and I’ll take whatever we get. Hopefully still this year though.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I’d assume the console versions would have the full game while the episodic release would only apply for Apple Arcade as they probably wanted that one out early together with the release of the platform.

But then again, what do I know. I’m just waiting for the Switch version and I’ll take whatever we get. Hopefully still this year though.
I wholly agree. I doubt the episodes are for anything other than Apple Arcade.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Someone found another heart squid in the Water Lily's Den, but its blocked off due to sand.
EE031ZWXsAEb_nJ.jpeg

D

Deleted member

So, a few different items, first, the Milk-Bosatsu topic. I saw this being mentioned on the Reimu thread:
Ok now that kasumi part is a big stretch why would they make her an alt while having no info about her before reveal at all. (:ultcorrinf: Was a different story)

Also I wouldn’t throw out milk yet. If he got hero smash vr and banjo right then I can all least look into him a bit longer. Maybe they had untexured models for the 5 characters already and started working on 3 of them. And a female character seems likley for #5 still

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ok now that kasumi part is a big stretch why would they make her an alt while having no info about her before reveal at all. (:ultcorrinf: Was a different story)

Also I wouldn’t throw out milk yet. If he got hero smash vr and banjo right then I can all least look into him a bit longer. Maybe they had untexured models for the 5 characters already and started working on 3 of them. And a female character seems likley for #5 still
I mean, considering the fact that Sakurai knew about the grappling hook for Joker, it's rather likely that he got informed about a lot of P5R stuff. But yeah, Kasumi wouldn't make sense as an alt, especially now that we know more about her abilities. Still pulling for her to be an echo in the future, but that's an entirely different topic...

D

Deleted member

Here another thing to note that he still isn’t dead yet. He claimed that the female character was possibly not Nakoruru a few days before the direct

From the smash wikia
On September 1st, 2019, Source Gaming staff member, NOKOLO talked to Milk-BOSATU on Twitter via chat and he claimed that she wears Japanese clothes and she is possibly not Nakoruru from Samurai spirits due to her lack of relevancy outside of Japan.
Two days later, he made a tweet claiming that Mr. H doesn't know if the female character is Nakoruru or not and later claimed that they both share features that are common with each other.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Looks like we could be back to the original's style of having to backtrack to certain dungeons for 100%.

What digging transformation could be used here?
I bet you 100 bucks that whatever digging transformation you need to use to get to that Heart Squid, you won't be able to get it in that point in the game when you first arrive to that dungeon.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly guys, I wish there was more fan demand for female characters as I really would love to see Krystal, Dixie Kong, Shantae, Tron Bonne, Chun-Li, Risky Boots, Medusa, Ayumi Tachibana, Lip, and Captain Syrup all in Smash someday.

Or, lord forbid, social justice warrior reasons.

Still though, you gotta admit that lesser supported characters in general couldn't help but be drowned under the demand for Ridley/BK/Waluigi/Isaac/Geno among others, so it's not just a gender issue.

Here another thing to note that he still isn’t dead yet. He claimed that the female character was possibly not Nakoruru a few days before the direct

From the smash wikia
Well, it's almost certainly not Nakoruru anyway, since she got Zonked.

To me that is just a bunch of haters excuse to writing off a bunch of characters they don't want in favor of their own who they think deserves a slot more.
Yes, eventually once we run out of characters breaking all the rules, those idiots will be forced to admit their own prejudices and stop hiding behind smoke and mirrors.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain it'll get out this year. Unlike with PC, there's no other huge projects to funnel staff into, so there should be no reason to delay it now. Especially considering that we went from starting off the year with a few seconds of footage shown and a key art, to the first quarter or so of the game being made available to Apple users now.

Top Bottom