• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay after watching the cutscenes I notice how Rotty and the Zombie Half Genie are never in the same cutscene together......the heck are WayForward trying to imply here?
In before it's a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde situation. :4pacman:

Wait which 7? I counted six.

EDIT: Oh and speaking on Shantae

GO VOTE NOW!!!!
Shantae vs Crypto(not the SuperDog lol)
I already questioned this entire tournament even existing to begin with since none of it will affect Ultimate, but this is the kicker.

Crypto? Really? I don't remember even seeing him in any fan polls. This match was over before it even started.

As for 5th fighter news, i feel like maybe they will announce it when they show off terry, and the first of the new fighters will be at the game awards.
That is a good idea since the Fighters Pass is almost over. Why not kickstart the new DLC wave with a new challenger for the upcoming 2020
Yeah, either that or unleash both of them during the VGAs, early and near the end. It would make sense.

Also, on a less related note, it seems that E3's being rebranded next year:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...a_fan_media_and_influencer_festival_next_year

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
They still didn't fix "wierd" and her bra strap in that one mugshot. I hope they're aware of that. It'll be more for haters to complain over.

I don't want to hard-critique the game just yet, as I'd rather wait until the final product. 'sides, I got to see more of Plink already.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Haters gonna hate.

Also, here is a shantae artwork for today
Artist: hexylamine
ddgdkz3-cf83074f-aa10-47a6-91b6-b28f430f4968.png

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seems to me like they're cutting corners in favor of focusing on a bigger game, with fancier presentation. Reuse of HGH sprite assets, short opening, even some dialogue art being glossed over. A bra strap barely even seems like something to notice that much (as if haters had enough attention span to do so, tch), less glaring than Risky's sprite eye color not even matching with the dialogue art in PC.

This shifted focus seems to pay off, the animated cutscenes aren't too shabby, for stuff that's been done by an in-house studio.

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Anyone know exactly why Jake "left WF"? Or whatever that's about. I haven't looked much into it, but people are cheese-grating the music to kingdom come as of late.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Anyone know exactly why Jake "left WF"? Or whatever that's about. I haven't looked much into it, but people are cheese-grating the music to kingdom come as of late.
Just doing freelance work, like Sean Velasco moving on to form Yacht Club Games. I guess he may have wanted to branch out.

This is like Yoshi's Crafted World all over again.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Welp. People had better get used to the new composer then. No need to give them a hard time for not being Jake.
I've seen no problem with the new composer. That being said, WF really should make sure the dialogue is corrected and make sure that the artwork is consistent, because that could be this game's downfall, especially if there's a lot of typos and missing bra straps.

Dukefire

Smash Master
WF still has time to fix it if they notice it. Until we get a confirmed release date, there is not a lot to worry for WF/Matt Bozon.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I've seen no problem with the new composer. That being said, WF really should make sure the dialogue is corrected and make sure that the artwork is consistent, because that could be this game's downfall, especially if there's a lot of typos and missing bra straps.
I'd do proofreading on their dialogue for free if they'd let me. The last thing this game needs is another Ace Attorney localization problem with all the typos.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I dont mind them reusing HGH assets, thats normal in the industry. Whats this about a bra strap issue, and who are complaining about shantae now?

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
Meh.In terms of music,while there's definitely a different style to it I really don't think it sounds that bad.
I wouldn't pay much attention to typos atm since it's still in development and could always be fixed near the end of development.
I dont mind them reusing HGH assets, thats normal in the industry. Whats this about a bra strap issue, and who are complaining about shantae now?
I think it's only really jarring to some people since the character sprites and portrait art were nearly identical in HGH so it's a bit weird to some to go back to how it was in RR and PC.At least you don't have differences in skin tone though.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
In one of Shantae's dialogue images, there's a lack of backstrap to her bra.

I'm being too concerned about it, though I want the game to be at its best when it's out, and stuff like this hinders that condition from becoming reality.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
If you want to see what WF has in store, work on their terms. Just like how Nintendo does it

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
In one of Shantae's dialogue images, there's a lack of backstrap to her bra.

I'm being too concerned about it, though I want the game to be at its best when it's out, and stuff like this hinders that condition from becoming reality.
I see Shantae subscribes to the TTGL school of clothing holding itself up through sheer force of will.
Not sure how you'd unintentionally do that though with how much time typically goes into making these portraits.
Best case scenario I think is that getting fixed in a post-release patch.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
They still didn't fix "wierd" and her bra strap in that one mugshot. I hope they're aware of that. It'll be more for haters to complain over.

I don't want to hard-critique the game just yet, as I'd rather wait until the final product. 'sides, I got to see more of Plink already.
They’ll always complain.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Seems to me like they're cutting corners in favor of focusing on a bigger game, with fancier presentation. Reuse of HGH sprite assets, short opening, even some dialogue art being glossed over. A bra strap barely even seems like something to notice that much (as if haters had enough attention span to do so, tch), less glaring than Risky's sprite eye color not even matching with the dialogue art in PC.

This shifted focus seems to pay off, the animated cutscenes aren't too shabby, for stuff that's been done by an in-house studio.
Our plan for our grammar has faild! But this game still has enough power to crush you, haters!

I always thought something like a genie lamp or her lighthouse would work
A genie lamp is likely to be what starts whatever her Final Smash will be, by sucking fighters in like the Poltergust.

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
Our plan for our grammar has faild! But this game still has enough power to crush you, haters!

A genie lamp is likely to be what starts whatever her Final Smash will be, by sucking fighters in like the Poltergust.
Wouldn't the super mega puff work equally well as a FS?It already functions almost identically to Lucario's as is anyway.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Wouldn't the super mega puff work equally well as a FS?It already functions almost identically to Lucario's as is anyway.
Eh. It's not very iconic, and not as strong as it looks.

If Megaman can use a black hole for a get-together with his buddies from the futures, why can't Shantae do the same with a magic lamp and her current friends?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seems like a life time ago. I honestly don't remember a lot of things mention during SSB4 speculations.
The one surefire thing I remember, besides Mother character support not being limited to two characters, is that one user who insisted on :ultpichu: being the last DLC character.

I got so much flak in the SSB4 version of this thread for suggesting that because “the lamp only sucks in magic, not enemies” and stuff like that.
How times have changed, with :ultjoker: showing that anything can happen in the Smash universe, even things that normally wouldn't happen in characters' original settings due to internal consistency.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
And since Reggie is coming back for The Game Awards we could have him announce Shantae for paid DLC character 6 :yeahboi:
Nah, he is going to announce Mother 3 coming to the west as well as Porky as the first DLC character outside of the Season Pass. :4pacman:

But really though, I hope that's the case for Shantae or Porky.

Seems like a life time ago. I honestly don't remember a lot of things mention during SSB4 speculations.
I certainly remember:

- Gematsu leak which had :4littlemac:, :4greninja:, :4miibrawl:/:4miigun:/:4miisword:, :4palutena:, :4shulk:, Chrom and Chorus Kids all in it.

- Ridley's silhouette being shown off on Pyrosphere and people were thinking he was playable only to have their dreams crashed on the 50-Fact Extravaganza Direct 6 months later just to find out he was just a stage hazard.

- ESRB leaker leaking the entire game's roster including showning off gameplay of :4shulk: and :4bowserjr: before they were officially announced by Nintendo themselves.

- Announcement of Smash Ballot bringing hype levels through the roof and fanart and campaigns being posted everywhere on the Internet.

- :4feroy: and :4ryu: names being leaked in the game's code the night before they were revealed at E3.

- Almost everyone being salty about :4corrin:'s inclusion.

- A lot of people being upset that :4bayonetta:was unofficially declared the Ballot winner by Sakurai himself.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I got so much flak in the SSB4 version of this thread for suggesting that because “the lamp only sucks in magic, not enemies” and stuff like that.
Despite the fact that the Poltergust only sucked in ghosts and things a vacuum cleaner could conceivably suck up?
Some Seven Sirens gameplay is out!

Edit:
After seeing the whole video, I have some things to say.
I like that cutscenes are a thing. Obviously they are not Studio Trigger levels of detail, but they are still cool.

That mayor is totally evil.

The zombie half genie is clearly related to Rotty in some way. Besides her obvious suspiciousness, she is missing from the cover while Rotty is still present. I am just wondering the context.

What was that monster girl that appeared around 21:18 and what is it's significance? Seems like a strange detail to throw in, so I am guessing it's foreshadowing to something later in the game.
Here's my thoughts:

Harmony is a lot nicer than I pictured her being.

Totally called the game being a vacation. Also think I said the same thing about Risky's Scuttle Town attacks becoming so routine they're relegated to a cutscene now.

This game wastes no time. One brief search for the half-genies and a cutscene later and you're pretty much given free reign to explore, limited only by your abilities. Although the load times between major areas can be a little annoying.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Despite the fact that the Poltergust only sucked in ghosts and things a vacuum cleaner could conceivably suck up?
They justified it by saying it worked because the ghosts are the enemies in the context of the game and it would translate better in Smash than the lamp which only sucked up money and magic.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
They justified it by saying it worked because the ghosts are the enemies in the context of the game and it would translate better in Smash than the lamp which only sucked up money and magic.
inb4 it's revealed magic users can get dragged in too and this thing happens

Except instead of your soul being brutally ripped out by meat hooks, it instead just sucks your magic in like a vacuum cleaner.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
But really though, I hope that the case for Shantae or Porky.
While I can't say I'd be crazy about Porky getting in (let alone even be announced at the VGAs), but at the same time it's weird how completely absent he is from Ultimate right now. Even 4 had him as a trophy. It's one thing to not afford bringing back his boss assets, but you'd think he'd get a spirit...

inb4 it's revealed magic users can get dragged in too and this thing happens

Except instead of your soul being brutally ripped out by meat hooks, it instead just sucks your magic in like a vacuum cleaner.
And the funny part is that I could see WF come up with such a contingency plan. Reminds me of the fish gag being used for Shovel Knight, to justify him getting in Rivals of Aether.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I mean I’m personally not going to use the lamp in my moveset for continuity reasons as well as I don’t see her using it on a personal level unless she had no other choice, but I still find it amusing there were a considerable amount of people who were against the idea of it back then.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I mean I’m personally not going to use the lamp in my moveset for continuity reasons as well as I don’t see her using it on a personal level unless she had no other choice, but I still find it amusing there were a considerable amount of people who were against the idea of it back then.
Continuity doesn't stop Sonic from regaining the Chaos Emeralds every time they scatter, Ridley shooting down Samus's Gunship, K. Rool blowing up an outdated DK island both multiple times in one fight, the PK kids using Starstorm...

By the end of Pirate's Curse it's pretty clear the lamp is as neutral as a tool can be, fixing all the problems it caused Shantae in the first place, and I'd wager the only reason she casts it into the sea in the end is just because there's no real reason to keep it around any longer with no more Pirate Master along with the risk of it being used against her again. But if some other half-genies were to go rogue, it would be a pretty handy tool to have...

Basically, if she has good reasons to use or keep the lamp (like as a trump card in a big fight with no risk of permanent harm to anyone), I don't see Shantae having any compunctions against doing so. After all, in the beginning of Pirate's Curse she blames Risky, not the lamp for her loss of magic.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Continuity doesn't stop Sonic from regaining the Chaos Emeralds every time they scatter, Ridley shooting down Samus's Gunship, K. Rool blowing up an outdated DK island both multiple times in one fight, the PK kids using Starstorm...

By the end of Pirate's Curse it's pretty clear the lamp is as neutral as a tool can be, fixing all the problems it caused Shantae in the first place, and I'd wager the only reason she casts it into the sea in the end is just because there's no real reason to keep it around any longer with no more Pirate Master along with the risk of it being used against her again. But if some other half-genies were to go rogue, it would be a pretty handy tool to have...

Basically, if she has good reasons to use or keep the lamp (like as a trump card in a big fight with no risk of permanent harm to anyone), I don't see Shantae having any compunctions against doing so.
I still think she probably wouldn’t be comfortable using a tool that imprisoned and enslaved genies in the past and the only good it’s brought her is fixing the problems it brought upon her. I personally think there are better options her Final Smash and would rather see something else considered. I’m not putting it in my own moveset regardless and I’m not arguing this any further.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord

Basically, if she has good reasons to use or keep the lamp (like as a trump card in a big fight with no risk of permanent harm to anyone), I don't see Shantae having any compunctions against doing so. After all, in the beginning of Pirate's Curse she blames Risky, not the lamp for her loss of magic.
That'd be intriguing though, what if during the course of Seven Sirens, Shantae really does get her magic sucked out of her again and she has to go ZSS and get to the chamber where her magic is sealed in the lamp.

Top Bottom