• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
How well a new Mario Kart will do (or rather how much effort is put into one) could hinge on how Mario Kart Tour is received.

Not to bring EVERYTHING back to pokemon, but a lot of people have suggested that GameFreaks general apathy in regards to Sword and Shield could be in part to the success in POkemon Go. The recurrent spending revenue in Go has outpaced anything a mainline game could hope to do and this may have sucked some of the wind out of their sails. Add to it that pokemon mainline games are at the point that they will basically sell enough no matter what might have led them to start caring quite as much as they used to, finding it more fulfilling to put their main focus on Town (which they have gone on record at admitting)

Not saying that would happen to Mario Kart, but it's in the same pedigree of "will sell no matter what" so it does have me a little worried.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
How well a new Mario Kart will do (or rather how much effort is put into one) could hinge on how Mario Kart Tour is received.

Not to bring EVERYTHING back to pokemon, but a lot of people have suggested that GameFreaks general apathy in regards to Sword and Shield could be in part to the success in POkemon Go. The recurrent spending revenue in Go has outpaced anything a mainline game could hope to do and this may have sucked some of the wind out of their sails. Add to it that pokemon mainline games are at the point that they will basically sell enough no matter what might have led them to start caring quite as much as they used to, finding it more fulfilling to put their main focus on Town (which they have gone on record at admitting)

Not saying that would happen to Mario Kart, but it's in the same pedigree of "will sell no matter what" so it does have me a little worried.
I have to admit, that Pokemon Go, is probably why Shield and Sword is ending up like it is. In fact thanks to Pokemon Go success, X and Y is still missing quite a few special pokemon and events, like AZ's beloved pokemon for the player to get besides hacking.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I have to admit, that Pokemon Go, is probably why Shield and Sword is ending up like it is. In fact thanks to Pokemon Go success, X and Y is still missing quite a few special pokemon and events, like AZ's beloved pokemon for the player to get besides hacking.
Yeah, GF moved past X and Y faster than any other generation. Like the one Gen that needed a third installment/sequel is the only one in pokemon history not to get one. All the Zygard stuff that would have been the main focus of "POkemon Z" was instead thrown over int Alola even tho it made no sense for it to be there.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Don't see how the success of mobile Pokemon games affects Game Freak specifically. They don't develop those games after all. If anything higher-ups should be looked at if you have to have someone to blame.

If Game Freak has any reason to be apathetic, it's the reaction of fans to bad news and how they still act to this. Harassing anyone that doesn't paint GF in a negative light, including Serebii, condoning chinese bootlegs just because of some basic animations and a tree... this obsession is honestly baffling to me as a formerly burnt out Pokemon player, if you were getting lapsed by stagnation before all of this, how would improved graphics convince you to come back? The answer of course, is most likely that the haters don't actually care and are just looking for any excuse to make out Masuda and GF as evil and untrustworthy after they were hurt by the Dex announcement.

Sword & Shield meaningfully advance the core gameplay by mostly axing random encounters, plus dynamaxing/gigantamaxing being pretty much mega evolutions and z moves consolidated and rebalanced, not to mention a promising setup in actually seeing the ramifications of Pokemon battling as a sport and whatever else remains to be announced. Game Freak may not be perfect with sometimes questionable changes between games in the name of making them unique, but accusing them of incompetence or even laziness feels a bit shortsighted considering the games always remain very fun to play regardless, and the crunch they regularly face when scheduling releases with all other forms of merchandise; that's just what happens when a franchise is big enough to the point of getting a complete experience without even having to play the core game. Not ideal for us, but it is what it is. If they were truly lazy, or just felt they couldn't top Ultra Sun/Moon, they would've just ported those games to the Switch and called it a day, as we're sitting here suggesting they do for Smash Ultimate.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Say Shantae does become a fighter, we still need a reason how she comes back from being a spirit. I'm thinking the magic lamp from her games. It doesn't take half-genies but maybe it can take the ghost of one accidentally and spit her back out in physical form realizing this error. How would that work? MAGIC!

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Say Shantae does become a fighter, we still need a reason how she comes back from being a spirit. I'm thinking the magic lamp from her games. It doesn't take half-genies but maybe it can take the ghost of one accidentally and spit her back out in physical form realizing this error. How would that work? MAGIC!
Remember the end of world of light restored all the spirits, so Shantae would be one of them

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Remember the end of world of light restored all the spirits, so Shantae would be one of them
There's a lot of ways you can look at that ending though. For all we know could mean without Gleem & Dharkon binding them to the mortal realm, the spirits ascended to the heavens. Hope I'm wrong but that's just how it looked. But before it can happen one lucky half-genie stumbled upon Wario's stash which so happens to have a magic lamp.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The key thing that separates fighters from the rest is that they have trophy bodies while the rest of the spirits don't, unlike previous Smash games. So the spirit Shantae would have to find or have one made for her, perhaps being an empty stand at first.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well...

The ending didn't really restore their trophy. if anything it just set them free so they could all disappear into trophy heaven/afterlife. Honestly everything about WoL always felt a little too Scientology for my tastes lol

As for how Shantae could Canonically get her trophyt back... 1) She, like other fighters had multiple trophies of herseld and even tho that one got destroyed and became a spirit, the one that would become her fighter was where ever all the other DLC fighters were when their trophies didn't get destroyed.

2) we would get a cutscene that takes place during the Galeem attack, but from a viewpoint we haven't seen yet. Other spirits get destroyed (ones we didn;t see getting destroyed last time, but ones already in the base game) along with Shantae's Trophy. But it lingers on the shattered pieces of hers while voices of people are heard making "Wishes" the pieces resonate before colliding back together and then the trophy comes back to life.

zferolie

Smash Hero
honestly Sakurai doesn't HAVE to explain in with a trailer. But I would like to imagine that some spirits gained enough spirit energy to gain their their own trophy stands after the whole orderal, or something gave them enough power for it.

anyway, have an old Shantae animation i only just found.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
honestly Sakurai doesn't HAVE to explain in with a trailer. But I would like to imagine that some spirits gained enough spirit energy to gain their their own trophy stands after the whole orderal, or something gave them enough power for it.

anyway, have an old Shantae animation i only just found.

Honestly, if we get any "story" relevant cut scenes for new characters, I imagine it would happen after the fighter pass. Then make one cut scene involving all of them where they were isolated somewhere fighting as a small group during the Galeem assault.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Don't see how the success of mobile Pokemon games affects Game Freak specifically. They don't develop those games after all. If anything higher-ups should be looked at if you have to have someone to blame.

If Game Freak has any reason to be apathetic, it's the reaction of fans to bad news and how they still act to this. Harassing anyone that doesn't paint GF in a negative light, including Serebii, condoning chinese bootlegs just because of some basic animations and a tree... this obsession is honestly baffling to me as a formerly burnt out Pokemon player, if you were getting lapsed by stagnation before all of this, how would improved graphics convince you to come back? The answer of course, is most likely that the haters don't actually care and are just looking for any excuse to make out Masuda and GF as evil and untrustworthy after they were hurt by the Dex announcement.

Sword & Shield meaningfully advance the core gameplay by mostly axing random encounters, plus dynamaxing/gigantamaxing being pretty much mega evolutions and z moves consolidated and rebalanced, not to mention a promising setup in actually seeing the ramifications of Pokemon battling as a sport and whatever else remains to be announced. Game Freak may not be perfect with sometimes questionable changes between games in the name of making them unique, but accusing them of incompetence or even laziness feels a bit shortsighted considering the games always remain very fun to play regardless, and the crunch they regularly face when scheduling releases with all other forms of merchandise; that's just what happens when a franchise is big enough to the point of getting a complete experience without even having to play the core game. Not ideal for us, but it is what it is. If they were truly lazy, or just felt they couldn't top Ultra Sun/Moon, they would've just ported those games to the Switch and called it a day, as we're sitting here suggesting they do for Smash Ultimate.
I'm not one of those people super upset about the lack of a National dex; I typically only play through these games a couple times and tend to mostly use new Pokemon anyway. But this isn't a fair summary of things. I've played every mainline Pokemon game to date, but I might not play Sword/Shield. Why? Because their excuse for not having every Pokemon is to improve other aspects of the game, but did that really happen at all? Some of the graphics look like they belong on the N64. Dynamaxing just makes Pokemon really big, unlike mega evolutions which actually changed how the Pokemon looked, and Z-moves which all had unique animations. The models are the same ones they made for X/Y and there are a lot of reused animations, so it's not like including all Pokemon would require remaking hundreds of models and animations from scratch. And these games have been getting easier over the years and haven't even been including challenging post-game content like the Battle Frontier anymore, on top of creating and then scrapping popular mechanics like having Pokemon follow the trainer.

The lack of national dex and the outrage over it is really just all these problems finally coming to an eruption point. After giving and taking so many other things away, they're finally taking away the Pokemon themselves, and people aren't accepting it. Pokemon is the kind of money-printing franchise that absolutely has the ability to make these things happen, so I really can't blame people for calling GF lazy, though I definitely never condone threats and harassment. "Gotta catch some of 'em" doesn't really have a nice ring to it.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I'm not one of those people super upset about the lack of a National dex; I typically only play through these games a couple times and tend to mostly use new Pokemon anyway. But this isn't a fair summary of things. I've played every mainline Pokemon game to date, but I might not play Sword/Shield. Why? Because their excuse for not having every Pokemon is to improve other aspects of the game, but did that really happen at all? Some of the graphics look like they belong on the N64. Dynamaxing just makes Pokemon really big, unlike mega evolutions which actually changed how the Pokemon looked, and Z-moves which all had unique animations. The models are the same ones they made for X/Y and there are a lot of reused animations, so it's not like including all Pokemon would require remaking hundreds of models and animations from scratch. And these games have been getting easier over the years and haven't even been including challenging post-game content like the Battle Frontier anymore, on top of creating and then scrapping popular mechanics like having Pokemon follow the trainer.

The lack of national dex and the outrage over it is really just all these problems finally coming to an eruption point. After giving and taking so many other things away, they're finally taking away the Pokemon themselves, and people aren't accepting it. Pokemon is the kind of money-printing franchise that absolutely has the ability to make these things happen, so I really can't blame people for calling GF lazy, though I definitely never condone threats and harassment. "Gotta catch some of 'em" doesn't really have a nice ring to it.
This is basically it. I am one of the individuals upset by not having the entire national Dex. Not only does it mean that certain pokemon already getting lost in power creep will fall further behind because they won;t get updates with Gen 8 moves they other wise could have learned or new hold items that could have severly improved how they fight, but also because it is a slippery slope.

They aren't going to select completely "fair" when it comes to choosing each game which pokemon get in. CHarizrad, Lucario, Gardevoir, Pikachu... (and most of Gen 1)With this new policy it's garaunteed that these pokemon will be catchable in every game. On the other end of things, pokemon that they find a far less priority will likely skip two games or even more before they get included, because the risk of not including them is the least.

Sure, most of us won't miss two or three games where Finneion or Swoobat, but for the poor souls who love those pokemon most... They might not even get to see their favorite in HD within the switch's lifespan.

If the leak that has been right about everythig else is right about it's last few predictions, PIkachu is getting a Gigantamax form, Even tho it is catachable early in every game, has the best non legendary Physical electric move (even tho it is a special attack who can make use of better options like thunder bolt) it got two Z moves and a regional evolution.

Charizard is almost certainly getting a gigantamax form (since it is the mascot pokemon of this game's champion) even tho it got 2 Mega evolutions and was a ride pokemon even tho it wasn't native to Alohla.

Meanwhile there are countless pokemon who either were never very useful or who have suffered from severe power creep who have yet to get any real update to their toolkit since their first appearance in their native region. Forgotten and first in line to get skipped over once or twice in future games.

All of that said, the giant mess was made by gamefreak. If they simply said "resources and time were too limited to include everyone" alot of people would have still been made, but they could only be mad at the situation. Instead they felt a need to justify it "We choose quality" time needed for "High quality animations" and most recently "made the models from scratch"

Each one of these claims is either so subjective that there was no point mentioning it, or obviously false (if not false, so poorly implimented for it not to be immediately obvious of new improved work)

These easily countered "reasons" have forced the disenfranchised fans to realize that GF has to either be incompetent (unable to properly manage resources or make new assets that actually look improved) uncaring (making the decision because it best benefits them and trusts the fans will buy it no matter how upset they are) Or lying (trying to placate us with simple falsehoods expecting us to eat it up and understand even tho what they have claimed looks painfully the contrary)

Heck, Japanese fans didn't even get an official announcement of the cut, the majority of Japanese pokemon players didn't find out about it until enough die hards who watched the English Tree House showcase started reporting about it. Even then many Japanese fans requested that GF announce which old pokemon were going to be returning before preorders for the games went live last week in Japanese markets, saying that asking them to preorder a game without the knowledge of which pokemon would be transferable was anti consumer and dishonest.

Whichever one of those three a fan chooses to believe, it's not a good look for GameFreak and the more insincere PR speak or technical excuses they throw, the worse it looks.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter so much how Shantae comes back from the dead. Sakurai himself had said that WOL is more about fun than anything, so most of the stuff happening in it is left up to the player's imagination.

Besides, :ulthero:'s trailer doesn't explain how he survived the Light/Dark rampage, he comes right outta nowhere to help :ultlink:.

One last thing on the Dex issue: GF and the Pokémon Company are extremely poor at communication. At least Sakurai softened the blow and warned us about the possibility of roster cuts. You don't do this sort of thing after the fact.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Before this gets out of hand, please, everyone, SHUT UP ABOUT THE POKE NATIONAL DEX ALREADY. We don't need to be dragging these in here if they're gonna keep going on and on and bring up little Shantae related talk. Thank you!

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Sorry just wanted to end the whole talks with the ultimate truth so that we can go back to our lovely Half Genie Hero.

You know I bet Shantae's Smash Trailer will somehow have that Zero Suit Samus that is in your profile.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Well... for the lack of any other interesting news to discuss (if this hasn't been discussed already ofcourse)...
There was a problem fetching the tweet
With as many things Vee has in her Bio, what could be the "impossible" VO dream here? Any big movies or anime this could refer to?

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I think thats unrelated to shantae but still i wonder what is she talking about.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well... for the lack of any other interesting news to discuss (if this hasn't been discussed already ofcourse)...
There was a problem fetching the tweet
With as many things Vee has in her Bio, what could be the "impossible" VO dream here? Any big movies or anime this could refer to?
Ib4 people start screaming smash lol.

I think i may be a big budget movie. She hasnt really done much of those other then the PPG movie right?

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not wanting to make this conversation divert too far, but Super Monkey Ball series is now starting to make a comeback by a remake.

Also, Christina Vee saying she is doing something big is vague.

Could it be a cartoon series or movie, an new anime series or movie, or another game we are unaware of? (Not saying about Smash Ultimate to avoid being shot down since that can trigger flames to some fans.)

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Not wanting to make this conversation divert too far, but Super Monkey Ball series is now starting to make a comeback by a remake.

Also, Christina Vee saying she is doing something big is vague.

Could it be a cartoon series or movie, an new anime series or movie, or another game we are unaware of? (Not saying about Smash Ultimate to avoid being shot down since that can trigger flames to some fans.)
Well she is quoting someone on the "Impossible" part. So basically her new gig is something that fans of hers or none fans say it is impossible right now. So what has been told to her during these months that is considered "impossible"?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Banana Blitz seems to be weirdly divisive among Super Monkey Ball fans. I guess it had that "early Wii title" sydrome of shoehorned motion controls with the at-the-time inadequate Wiimote (altough the normal gameplay worked fine for me), but it seems pretty clear we're well past that age now, so the game should be able to shine on it's own merits; it's a monkey ball game where you can jump after all.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Even in this thread, you're talking about the National Dex? Oh no.
View attachment 231530
I see someone's gone back to their roots. I was wondering if you enjoyed seeing rotty in the cartoon, it was pretty neat to see all the animation :)

Because WayForward, here is some River City Girls gameplay. Game is looking pretty great.
That's one thing I was looking forward to seeing. I'm glad it's far enough in dev that it's got a demo. Wonder when it'll be out :D

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well she is quoting someone on the "Impossible" part. So basically her new gig is something that fans of hers or none fans say it is impossible right now. So what has been told to her during these months that is considered "impossible"?
Still, it could be pointing to anything. So, surprises are always around the corner. Though, Wayforward and Christina Vee always like to do these stuff.

Vague information and possible fake disappointment of them not able to do it. Like for anime expo 2019 not too long ago.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Ok thank you. I'm just a little annoyed, there's this guy on youtube named 'The Thunder Productions' who has been harassing me and a bunch of other people about wanting Shantae, Geno and a number of other characters.
Its been like that for a while. The spirits debate won't end until there is proof if spirits deconfirm or not for characters becoming fighters.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239

Dukefire

Smash Master
Having to change gears a bit, people are now speculating if the The Hero is Drawing Near on July.
Fron Nintendo's most recent video on fan favorite games releasing this month.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Dukefire Dukefire No speculations needed. Nintendo themselves drop the official word that the Heroes of Dragon Quest is coming to Ultimate in July.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well soon we will learn about hero then. Quite excited for. Still sad they didnt go qith the female version of 5 :(
Dq4_Heroine.jpg

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well soon we will learn about hero then. Quite excited for. Still sad they didnt go qith the female version of 5 :(

View attachment 231581
It ain't totally over. There's still lots sakurai hasn't told us about the heros. Not holding out for anything, but you never know.
And there's so much we gotta know about the mechanics and movesets and all that.

In whatever case I'm really hoping the last dlc characters has some girl rep.

ps: it's dq4, not 5

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, the only female character we got currently in the Fighters Pass would be Kazooie.
KazooieTooie1.png

Top Bottom